Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,042 members, 7,818,090 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Fiancé And Fiancée Are Different Words? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Fiancé And Fiancée Are Different Words? (767 Views)

True Life Story: See Why My Fiancé And I Disagree About S3x / My Fiancé And I Are Both Genotype "AS", Can We Still Get Married / My Fiancé’s Cousin Saw Me Naked.. He Started Calling Me Sweetheart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fiancé And Fiancée Are Different Words? by Fortune2016(m): 4:40am On Sep 26, 2021
If you’ve ever wondered whether it was spelled fiancé or fiancée, well, they’re both correct. They’re both correct because they are actually different terms.

English borrowed them from variants of the French verb fiancer (meaning “to get engaged”) in the mid-19th century. The masculine (fiancé) and feminine (fiancée) noun forms were both imported by English speakers, even though English doesn’t typically use gendered word endings. The extra E at the end is what denotes fiancée is feminine.

The terms ultimately derive from the Latin fidare, literally meaning “to trust.”

When do you use fiancé and fiancée?
But which form should you use, and when?

If you want to keep it traditional, the masculine form fiancé is typically used to describe “an engaged man,” while the feminine form fiancée is used to describe “an engaged woman.” Pronunciation of both fiancé and fiancée is identical.

Because English doesn’t have word endings that connote gender, differentiating between the male and the female betrothed seems unnecessary to modern English speakers. Especially given the increased social awareness of non-binary gender issues, the difference between fiancé and fiancée feels a bit old-fashioned and out-of-date.

For those who don’t want to choose between the terms, there appears to be a growing trend toward using fiancé as the gender-neutral form for both a man and a woman.
Re: Fiancé And Fiancée Are Different Words? by arsenic33(m): 5:32am On Sep 26, 2021
Plenty wahala inside English Language

1 Like

Re: Fiancé And Fiancée Are Different Words? by RichThugg: 5:50am On Sep 26, 2021
Because English language is versatile, people dey come up with new words everyday, and e dey still blend.. cool

1 Like

Re: Fiancé And Fiancée Are Different Words? by Sonnobax15(m): 6:41am On Sep 26, 2021
lipsrsealed
Re: Fiancé And Fiancée Are Different Words? by yuping(m): 7:25am On Sep 26, 2021
Very educative and precise.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Somebody Said Sex Is Overatted. / Any Lady Here Based In Aba And Wants To Play? / Which African Country Started Slave Trade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.