Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,151 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

Third Class Graduate With No Direction - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Third Class Graduate With No Direction (23791 Views)

I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by adewumiopeyemi(m): 9:36am On Sep 30, 2021
FaithfuII18:
3rd Class too?

To graduate with third class is it a crime ?
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by TheGiftedOne(m): 9:37am On Sep 30, 2021
With professional exams and courses littering every sphere of our Internet space plus the emergence of Blockchain technology this one still send degree? Even first class dey find job pass every corner... I dey shame for OP.
My friend will you go do something with your life and stop making excuses. Who degree epp?

I can logically conclude the OP is either not smart, creative or suffering from a very low self esteem. I drop my pen �

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Rollitout: 9:37am On Sep 30, 2021
I have two advise for you
1. With that 3rd class, you can go for pgd and then masters.
2. With that 3rd class, you can gain admission to 200Level in the UK and you become an undergraduate again, then you ensure you graduate with a 1st class or 2nd class upper if not you won't be given any certificate.
When you achieve this, you can then forget about the institution you have attended here in Nigeria and u begin to call yourself international graduate.

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by SyrusdeHansome(m): 9:37am On Sep 30, 2021
Maybe this Op doesn't know that in this world first class and 2nd class graduates work for 3rd class graduates, reason being that first class graduates think that by virtue of their academic achievements their future is already secured whereas the ones with 3rd class academic attainment already know that without critical thinking and skill acquisition they're done for. Go and acquire a skill and stop looking for 20k job. Lemme tell u that some Nigerians that travel abroad with a specific skill do better than those with first class in their CV except those ones that travel as medical doctors, computer scientists and other professional courses. In US they charge as high as 90-200$ just to repair a laptop board so imagine u being a laptop repairer in US. Stop looking down on urself. As being ur own boss u can decide to push further academically

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Tinyemeka(m): 9:38am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:
Please I need advice, any advice.
I graduated with a 3rd class in Chemistry from three years ago (I only blame myself for that) and after I finished my NYSC a year ago I just plunged into a depressive state in regards to my mistake (my education) and my future (career) sometimes breaking down in tears when I think of things I've taken for granted in my life.

I started working on myself a few months ago and I've made some progress I proud of but every now and then it's easy to be overwhelmed with self doubt.
I made a cv without work experience along with a cover letter a few days ago and applied for a few entry level jobs like graduate intern, sales, restaurant supervisor etc via jobberman and the companies email but I'm not too sure I'll be getting any calls from them.
I didn't come here to get sympathy just an honest advice or opinion on what to do.

Can I do a pgd in chemical engineering or just chemistry or pursue a business or computer/tech course, are there jobs I can get with my degree maybe to get skills and work experience?
I deeply appreciate any advice. Thank you.

IT and data science skills are the rave currently. Most of the jobs in that domain do not place much emphasis on your degree but rather on the quality of output you generate as evidenced by your portfolio (which I'd advise you to build) and the skills could be acquired through online courses in platforms such as Udemy, Coursera, edx, LinkedIn, etc.

Your background in engineering should give you an advantage in familiarizing yourself with the courses. This is in addition to the surplus time you have on your hands by not being tied down to a day job.

Do not be overly depressed about your class of degree. You the time you have now to change that narrative.

Cheers bro.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Sdbsylaz: 9:39am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:
I graduated with a 3rd class in Chemistry from three years ago (I only blame myself for that) and after I finished my NYSC a year ago I just plunged into a depressive state in regards to my mistake (my education) and my future (career) sometimes breaking down in tears when I think of things I've taken for granted in my life.

I started working on myself a few months ago and I've made some progress I proud of but every now and then it's easy to be overwhelmed with self doubt.
I made a cv without work experience along with a cover letter a few days ago and applied for a few entry level jobs like graduate intern, sales, restaurant supervisor etc via jobberman and the companies email but I'm not too sure I'll be getting any calls from them.
I didn't come here to get sympathy just an honest advice or opinion on what to do.

Can I do a pgd in chemical engineering or just chemistry or pursue a business or computer/tech course, are there jobs I can get with my degree maybe to get skills and work experience?

Am in dis same circle but thank God for where i am today, i hav a Job, am married, av gat 2 children and am living well all by the Grace of God.
3rd class is not a Death sentence, i remembered wen i saw my certificate i just smiled, i tot of payin for a fake certificate wit an upgraded Grade(2nd class upper) but i jst said to myself "God plss bless this certificate" it didn't take a month afta my NYSC i got a Job.
Trust me, we are doin well and better than some first class & 2nd class graduates both in discharging our duties at work place and other wise.. Just bliv in God and urself thats all.
(i still dey reason weda to run PGD den Masters or just lockUp)��� God bless!!! ��

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Yorubabyblood: 9:39am On Sep 30, 2021
Ikillbrokehoes:
If you have every means to leave this goddamned country, just do so.
travel to a saner clime and you will be gobsmacked by arrays of opportunities waiting for you
Even some people with 2.1 r also frustrated,
The bottom line is to hustle like a man
May God be with u
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Clinghton: 9:40am On Sep 30, 2021
You can leave education and try your hands on other things, there are other opportunities available to make you great.

Explore yourself and you would discover greater things.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by mofotb: 9:41am On Sep 30, 2021
God
Street wise
Vital information
Stay healthy cos only the living can chase.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by fredosan(m): 9:42am On Sep 30, 2021
pls don't limit yourself to paper qualification, that is, credentialism. pls think of business ideas and funding trust me in a short while you will make millions cool naira and dollars.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by ezechi24(m): 9:42am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

for your own good stop writing your cv without work experience...browse about the jobs of a supervisor or try and ask people who have done a supervisory job then add it to your cv....one important thing about getting a job is having confidence on yourself and dress very nice while going for any interview...i didnt have any working experiance but i got a job of a suppervisor in a big hotel..just because i trust my capabilities and i serched for the duties of a supervisor on the net....so you can do thesame bro...just relax....one more thing try and register with job agents arround you, most reputable companies work with those guys to look for workers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by pdf90(m): 9:43am On Sep 30, 2021
Do you have a digital skill ?
Dizzyish:

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by hustla(m): 9:48am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

That's the thing- I don't even know where to start let alone make a plan.

Go back to school

DE should send you to 200L

Start again or enter Udemy and find something you can learn that'll make money in today's world

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by alphabbey1(m): 9:48am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Thank you. Please what would you suggest? I was thinking maybe I should do a pgd in chemistry or chem engr. (if that's possible) so at least I can have a fighting chance applying for shell, moni pulo or maybe nnpc because oil& gas is why I choose chemisty, I don't know..
if you believe you can make excellent grade in your pgd, apply for it... anything other than excellent, employers will render it useless due to the already poor bsc academic level.... and these science line you are is a very delicate place, anything below second class lower is not tolerated in the science Job sector. Crossing to psychology department right from your 200L or 300L would have helped... I have friends that did the change of course and they did well in there art department..... no be by force to dey cram Alkane, alkyne

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by 15thAccount: 9:49am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Hey, I don't know if you'll ever see this, as there are many posts before mine, but i was a similar boat as yours, I graduated with a third class about 3-4 years ago and this was after 3 extra years. I graduated with no skills and no experiences, inferiority complex and social anxiety. I was learning animation for a while before I decided to go into tech. Even though tech is stressful, the growth is exponential, even compared to what you see in other industries, you'll probably earn in your first year what others in industries like banking or insurance earn after 2 to 3 years.

You'll say your salary as a developer on nairaland and it'll cause fight, because many Nigerians cannot fathom how someone will earn that kind of money in this economy. Nobody will believe you. so basically tech gives you the potential to earn unbelievable salary lmao.

People outside of tech don't understand and think about guys telling you "let me build a website for you 10k". That's not the tech industry i'm talking about. on average junior devs earn about 150k to 350k here in Nigeria every month, If its a foreign Job, its about 1000 - 2000 dollars every month.

My Advice.
Pick up a laptop and do your research of how to go into tech, learn necessary skills like HTML and CSS and Javascript and a backend language, It would probably take you a year to be comfortable (I learnt for about a year or two, before getting my first role). Developers are in high demand in Nigeria, because many experienced developers go on to work for foreign companies remotely, so many Nigerian firms need to constantly hire devs to replace them.

This is the only advice I can give now, because it worked for me and I don't regret, I still feel some inferiority complex and social anxiety gathered over the years while i was in school due to the consistent F9's and my broke state (seriously broke all those years). But I generally feel a lot better than I did, I've made some worthwhile friends, I'm very comfortable and I feel I have a direction which I never felt all my days in school.
Of course I also pray, so God is very involved too. If you are an atheist, know that I have a lot of agnostic friends who are doing quite well (them boku for tech), but I know that personally, I couldn't manage without God.

If you're serious about this and want to give this a shot, quote me and I'll give you a roadmap or possible roadmaps you can follow to get your first tech job. Its not easy at all(you'll have to learn algorithms and data structures and read a lot of theory) but its very worth it.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by oluku86: 9:50am On Sep 30, 2021
With 2:1, you may be jobless. Don't do PGD!!! Learn I.T, or become a marketer for dealers of FMCG. Just apply and ensure you meet the dealer in person, promise him a better turnover, you will thank me later. But attitude matters in everything. Change your mindset and assume you are not a graduate. I'm reachable for further clarification on 07067483508

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by aikyg(m): 9:50am On Sep 30, 2021
I graduated with a 3rd class. Today, I turn down jobs. Most employers will overlook your 3rd class if you are able to show them that you can compete effortlessly with those who made first class and second class.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by lomprico(m): 9:50am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

if you want to pursue a career do pgd and masters, if you want to venture on your pick any ICT skill, get certification n you are good to go.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by lomprico(m): 9:51am On Sep 30, 2021
aikyg:
I graduated with a 3rd class. Today, I turn down jobs.

what did you do?
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by LordIsaac(m): 9:51am On Sep 30, 2021
webhead:
GARBAGE!!
this is one of the reasons why nigeria will remain stagnant.
In this day and age, You are advising him to go back and spend extra 6 years in one shitty school to get a useless certificate. when there are plenty of businesses he can master (especially online) in under a year and become a millionaire.

“If you put bananas and
money in front of monkeys, they will choose
bananas because monkeys do not know that money
can buy more bananas. In reality, if you offer job
and business people, they would choose a job
because most people do not know that business
can bring more money than salaries. Profits are
better than salaries can make you living but profits
can bring you a fortune."–Jack ma
He wants to be able to tell his wife and kids that he graduated with a good result. So it is a good desire, and not GARBAGE. Stop rubbishing people's opinions because you feel yours is the best. It is a suggestion, period.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Munzy14(m): 9:53am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

It is rare for me to see a chemistry graduate complain like this....Common you were exposed to a lot of opportunities during your course of study now..

You can be an entrepreneur...I mean create Jobs.

You can teach.

You can work in any firm that does production.

Unfortunately, the last two options are not available..because even, some first class graduates are unemployed or underemployed.

In essence, you are at advantage of first option which is the main stew...Learn a business or computer tech, Start up something, before 2025 you will be shocked at what you have achieved for yourself.

You will be shocked the first time you will be interviewing someone to work for you...no be juju...Just start something that is focused on service providing or consumable goods production.

You see that your certificate, go and drop it in a cupboard...And begin the next journey.

Good luck..
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Bimpe29: 9:53am On Sep 30, 2021
For this bold step taken by your humble self, it means you are purposeful and diligent. Work upon the identified weaknesses and be more positive about life.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by UYEMDO35(m): 9:54am On Sep 30, 2021
webhead:
Bro, the best advice anyone can give you is to start an online business!!!!!

Self publishing on Amazon, while difficult at the start, is an online business you can start with no money. You can start by publishing low content books with just a laptop and internet connection.
Check the thread for that here on nairaland or buy a course to make things easier.

Or start doing freelancing, youtube, digital marketing
Checkout the fiverr accelerator course.
I hope you found this helpful.
Good morning! Sir....
Am a prospective final year student to be, I don't know what d the future will bring forth,
I have passion for dis online business of a thing but I really don't know how go about it... I will be really glad if u can put me through...
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by alphabbey1(m): 9:54am On Sep 30, 2021
alphabbey1:
if you believe you can make excellent grade in your pgd, apply for it... anything other than excellent, employers will render it useless due to the already poor bsc academic level.... and these science line you are is a very delicate place, anything below second class lower is not tolerated in the science Job sector. Crossing to psychology department right from your 200L or 300L would have helped... I have friends that did the change of course and they did well in there art department..... no be by force to dey cram Alkane, alkyne

Another thing I can advice is, ditch the pgd, throwaway the bsc, forget about looking for Job, surf the internet, and look for what to start doing..... at this country's present stage, the moment you believe you will make it from your certificate, you are already writing letter to poverty... grin

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Jonathan2Edirin(m): 9:54am On Sep 30, 2021
Thank God u graduated and have completed ur nysc....many people didn't and u still came out with 3rd class and not pass..... dear....be grateful to God...the current life situation is not about degree but God's grace....this is another phase of life that doesn't answer to degree but Grace and what can u do....life is about solving problems to be rich....look out for what u can solve in ur area as a problem....get a skill like in ICT or u learn something useful to the society...there is more to life and success than just certificate...most great me today didn't go to school but are successful after which they went to school and many firm doesn't give credit to degree but what u can do, contribute to society.... innovation etc...learn skill, business, etc to solve problems and that will give u money forget about degree, u can still be applying but concentrate on what problem u can solve in ur area to make money.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by valves: 9:55am On Sep 30, 2021
Do you know how to write?? If yes, the quickest way to make money that I can think of right now is to publish books on Amazon. I know a lot of people who are into it and they are making a decent living
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by larion: 9:56am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Go and learn AWS DevOps, if you don't buy a house in 3 years, come after me for refund for the wasted time.

You have e to be diligent and genuinely out effort into studying the concepts and knowing it. 6 months should be fine.

Below is a breakdown of what you need to learn:

AWS
Linux basic operations
Git and GitHub
Jenkins for CI/CD pipeline
Docker
Terraform
Prometheus/Grafana

If you can add Kubernetes to the stack, then reduce the time it will take you to buy your house from 3 years to 2.

All these things should NOT take you more than 6 months to learn, it has to do with IT and computer, but I tell you....if you can graduate with chemistry in Nigeria, (I don't care the class) learning all those butane, propane, tetrahydrocannabinol equation, then you can learn this stuffs.

The market is VERY hot for DevOps at the moment, after learning it, you should easily get a job of 5k USD per month, as a fresher....either you move to South Africa, UK,or US .....or you work remotely from Nigeria....the market is HOT!

Once you have 1 year hands on experience, expect to start earning 300 to 400usd every day....that's 150k naira, daily!

Yes! I mean this....if you earn 4million naira every month and you cannot buy a house in 2 years, then na you Sabi.

But hey....you have to study these things diligently for the first 6 months.

Anyone who doesn't understand what I am saying should search "AWS Devops jobs in UK or US". Put the job type to contract and see how much you can earn per day....

The question is, are you ready to study hard just for 6 month??

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by uvie66: 9:57am On Sep 30, 2021
illicit:
Wetin do 3rd class

Don't let Nigeria get to u bro
The thing weak me....to get third class sef need a lot of effort and dedication.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Kingd6th: 9:57am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

/your degree doesn't determine who you will be, search deep inside you and find out what skill you have passion for and develop yourself in it. Try to be a professional and I promise you will forget you had a 3rd class. God bless
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Adeesther56(f): 9:57am On Sep 30, 2021
Are you a Christian pray to God he would answer

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by ridbell01(m): 9:57am On Sep 30, 2021
My brother move to business I can categorically tell you that education is a scam in Nigeria, The best and one of the most outstanding student I have ever met in my entire venture into business immediately after graduation what he has achieved in less than 5 years it will take professors in this country over 40 to achieve that. I graduated in 2015 I started my business few months ago I now have peace of mind now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How To Check JAMB UTME Result 2018 Online / Kebbi Commissioner Visits School And Meets Only The Students There / Photos From Modibo Adama University Yola (mautech)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.