Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,653 members, 7,813,205 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

Third Class Graduate With No Direction - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Third Class Graduate With No Direction (23767 Views)

Can A Third Class Graduate Apply For Masters In The USA / Man Who Graduated With Third Class From OAU Discovers He’s A Genius In Canada / I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Tunechi5(m): 9:57am On Sep 30, 2021
Lol na paper day make u day depressed bro means to make money online choke learn a skill get a pc
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:
Please I need advice, any advice.
I graduated with a 3rd class in Chemistry from three years ago (I only blame myself for that) and after I finished my NYSC a year ago I just plunged into a depressive state in regards to my mistake (my education) and my future (career) sometimes breaking down in tears when I think of things I've taken for granted in my life.

I started working on myself a few months ago and I've made some progress I proud of but every now and then it's easy to be overwhelmed with self doubt.
I made a cv without work experience along with a cover letter a few days ago and applied for a few entry level jobs like graduate intern, sales, restaurant supervisor etc via jobberman and the companies email but I'm not too sure I'll be getting any calls from them.
I didn't come here to get sympathy just an honest advice or opinion on what to do.

Can I do a pgd in chemical engineering or just chemistry or pursue a business or computer/tech course, are there jobs I can get with my degree maybe to get skills and work experience?
I deeply appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Omooo bro. I also graduated with third class. The moment I entered the uni I lost interest in schooling. Though I was developing myself in other ways like sound editing, video editing and all these IT things on my own. Before I graduate I was able to at least have the skills to some average level. I wasn't scared of life...I never panicked, intact I was the happiest graduate of all times in that school, but my Friend that graduated with sharp 2.1 was so depressed because he couldn't make first class. Right now he's a teacher with a private school. Me on the other hand have worked with over 10 organisations from labels to NGOs to several brands.
Currently I'm active IT guy for about 4 NGOs. Plus other NGOs that will have a program for a period.

I didn't study computer science. But do u know the demand in IT guys by NGOs?? Something as simple as projector set up is very important in their meetings..if they discover you can also design thier fliers or edit thier zoom meeting or arrange the soun for their outreach and seminars etc they value these things.

I've been to several place with fat allowance just to be thier IT guy.

Bro. Since I graduate after my NYSC I've not seen my certificate again. I don't even know where it is.

In summary, nobody cares what you graduate with, they only care about what you can do.

I know we've been misinformed about attaching success to grades. . biggest lie of all times... Your grade has nothing to do with you success delivery.

Just find something u can do well that people will look for you .. And you are set for life.

I get xallls from everywhere for these services.

I learnt music production to work in studios...but I didn't know it will turn out that I ll work more for NGOs since I started editing thier radio dramas...

Their are many things bro.

Forget that certificate and develop yourself bro.

You can do it...it's not late bro

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Adeesther56(f): 9:59am On Sep 30, 2021
pray to God he would answer
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Winneygirl(f): 9:59am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:
I graduated with a 3rd class in Chemistry from three years ago (I only blame myself for that) and after I finished my NYSC a year ago I just plunged into a depressive state in regards to my mistake (my education) and my future (career) sometimes breaking down in tears when I think of things I've taken for granted in my life.

I started working on myself a few months ago and I've made some progress I proud of but every now and then it's easy to be overwhelmed with self doubt.
I made a cv without work experience along with a cover letter a few days ago and applied for a few entry level jobs like graduate intern, sales, restaurant supervisor etc via jobberman and the companies email but I'm not too sure I'll be getting any calls from them.
I didn't come here to get sympathy just an honest advice or opinion on what to do.

Can I do a pgd in chemical engineering or just chemistry or pursue a business or computer/tech course, are there jobs I can get with my degree maybe to get skills and work experience?

Maybe schooling should not be your next step.
Start thinking entrepreneurship. Go and learn a skill or a trade. Be an apprentice for a while so you can know what business entails.
There are successful people who didnt even complete university. You graduated. This means you acquired knowledge. Now it is time to apply that knowledge in the real world.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Metsolo: 10:00am On Sep 30, 2021
you are not alone bro, here is what i will advise you to do. go back to school to get a PGD your determination to get it can serve as a mind shift for you. if you have money go for certifications in relation to your field of study or career choice.
you still have a bucket full of hope, dont look down on urself
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by northbird: 10:00am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Why are you looking for a job? If you are in Lagos.

Go and learn a skill. You don't have to pay anyone to learn. Look for someone doing it.

Approach them esp the elderly ones, state your issues and become an apprentice. Drop your ego and serve, in six months you will have a faster grasp of the process.

You have a degree already. After six months, write a proposal to diff construction companies. On what you do,
Xand Y enterprises. The first job you get, you join hands with your former boss/master. You do it and share 50/50. Be open, put him into the know.

Ensure a good job is done. , then wait for referrals. You will be amazed 15 months down the line.

Let me give an example of a niche in construction :
1. POP
2. Flooring : Tiles, ceramics.

And if you are not cut out for handyman jobs, there are other skills (that people need everyday, you can learn).

Goodluck.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Emmanuel909090: 10:01am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Front end engineering also crossed my mind. Please do you have any knowledge about this?

Its a good one and lucrative, but i guess the training will be very expensive.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by ford101: 10:02am On Sep 30, 2021
Bigredmachine:

yes... my life has been filled with depression of some kind over the years, i am currently learning how to become a ui/ux designer to see if i could start a career from there

i have also tried forex, but its not working

betting nko, that one has showed me more pepper than anything else...

i just tire

and i dont want to go the wrong side of life to make it
just say u are too weak to go the wrong side to make it.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by mrksquare: 10:02am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Start doing courses related to tech. Don't allow your degree to define you. Rise above your predicament by charting a new course for yourself.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by gstream: 10:02am On Sep 30, 2021
FaithfuII18:
why did you graduate with a third class? what made you not to be serious with studies?

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by flokii: 10:06am On Sep 30, 2021
@OP Think outside the box and learn other skills that will fetch you money. You can go into business too or real estate agents or car dealers and get your percentage.

There are lots of first class graduates, M.Sc and PhD holders out there struggling too, so the earlier you dump the "I am a graduate" mentality and embrace street hustle the better. Along the line, you might get better jobs requiring your skills you must have acquired over the years. Never stay down, always keep moving.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Holluwhakemmy(f): 10:07am On Sep 30, 2021
That is not the issue you can still apply for job improve yourself by going for PGD and have any other professional certificate. There are many third class graduate who are doing well dont be depressed.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by alphabbey1(m): 10:08am On Sep 30, 2021
adewumiopeyemi:
Bro dont lose up i graduate with 3rd class im 2014 and have done my pgd and master and have been moving from one job to another because of my experience in differnent job
Even with 1st class graduates they are struggling in the labour market is not about the degree is what you have in your brain will determine how you can get a job bro
ryt now i have my owm house and car
bro
Thing were so hard back then but with God everything will be fine
Keep pushing and praying and i pray you will pass this bro
forget hearsay, have you personally seen a first class that's struggling in labour market ?
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by achimendy(m): 10:08am On Sep 30, 2021
This guy is really funny, you're crying because you graduated with 3rd class?? You beta discover your talent and start working on it. Time wait for no man. Look for something important and channel your strength, time and resources, and you will see the result in no time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by CrazyGranddad(m): 10:10am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Why are you lamenting? Why not go and learn a skill? A vocational or digital skill? Learn to be a millwright, a welder, a blaster, painter, tailor, etc. With the knowledge you already possess from having being to a university, you will excel if you work hard at it.

I left school with a 2.1 and I haven't used my certificate for a single day. But am almost at the top of my craft.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Oktane: 10:11am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Where is your location? Which state and LGA?
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Skillsnigeria: 10:16am On Sep 30, 2021
Hmmm, this life Sha. Kindly visit my signature or profile, maybe you will see something you will be interested in.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by emmaak2(m): 10:16am On Sep 30, 2021
larion:

Go and learn AWS DevOps, if you don't buy a house in 3 years, come after me for refund for the wasted time.

You have e to be diligent and genuinely out effort into studying the concepts and knowing it. 6 months should be fine.

Below is a breakdown of what you need to learn:

AWS
Linux basic operations
Git and GitHub
Jenkins for CI/CD pipeline
Docker
Terraform
Prometheus/Grafana

If you can add Kubernetes to the stack, then reduce the time it will take you to buy your house from 3 years to 2.

All these things should NOT take you more than 6 months to learn, it has to do with IT and computer, but I tell you....if you can graduate with chemistry in Nigeria, (I don't care the class) learning all those butane, propane, tetrahydrocannabinol equation, then you can learn this stuffs.

The market is VERY hot for DevOps at the moment, after learning it, you should easily get a job of 5k USD per month, as a fresher....either you move to South Africa, UK,or US .....or you work remotely from Nigeria....the market is HOT!

Once you have 1 year hands on experience, expect to start earning 300 to 400usd every day....that's 150k naira, daily!

Yes! I mean this....if you earn 4million naira every month and you cannot buy a house in 2 years, then na you Sabi.

But hey....you have to study these things diligently for the first 6 months.

Anyone who doesn't understand what I am saying should search "AWS Devops jobs in UK or US". Put the job type to contract and see how much you can earn per day....

The question is, are you ready to study hard just for 6 month??

Can I get ur contact
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by alphabbey1(m): 10:17am On Sep 30, 2021
adewumiopeyemi:

To graduate with third class is it a crime ?
Trust me it's a crime unless you find a way to get rich.... you never know how frustrated a broke person with a poor certificate can get... you even get more depressed when you see your other friends in there own cars
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Dafemsunky: 10:17am On Sep 30, 2021
My broda go and start a business u av interest in it.i av 3class too and am far better than my mates who make 2.1.....using my 3car why most of them are still applying for job......grade u av in schl won't determine ur progress in life my broda
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Weedee(m): 10:17am On Sep 30, 2021
My guy, chin up.
Life always gets better if you're willing to keep pushing.
My story no too different but now I fit hold my side.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Solatium(m): 10:17am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

3rd class didn't define who you are,i have seen people with such grade that still went on to succeed in life.
You might get one or two interviews,go there and dazzle them with what you have upstairs,make them feel like it was a mistake on the side of your degree awarding institution to have awarded you with such grade.

Carelessness is what makes us end up with some situation,but Guess what those situations does not really define us.

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by oluku86: 10:21am On Sep 30, 2021
15thAccount:

Hey, I don't know if you'll ever see this, as there are many posts before mine, but i was a similar boat as yours, I graduated with a third class about 3-4 years ago and this was after 3 extra years. I graduated with no skills and no experiences, inferiority complex and social anxiety. I was learning animation for a while before I decided to go into tech. Even though tech is stressful, the growth is exponential, even compared to what you see in other industries, you'll probably earn in your first year what others in industries like banking or insurance earn after 2 to 3 years.

You'll say your salary as a developer on nairaland and it'll cause fight, because many Nigerians cannot fathom how someone will earn that kind of money in this economy. Nobody will believe you. so basically tech gives you the potential to earn unbelievable salary lmao.

People outside of tech don't understand and think about guys telling you "let me build a website for you 10k". That's not the tech industry i'm talking about. on average junior devs earn about 150k to 350k here in Nigeria every month, If its a foreign Job, its about 1000 - 2000 dollars every month.

My Advice.
Pick up a laptop and do your research of how to go into tech, learn necessary skills like HTML and CSS and Javascript and a backend language, It would probably take you a year to be comfortable (I learnt for about a year or two, before getting my first role). Developers are in high demand in Nigeria, because many experienced developers go on to work for foreign companies remotely, so many Nigerian firms need to constantly hire devs to replace them.

This is the only advice I can give now, because it worked for me and I don't regret, I still feel some inferiority complex and social anxiety gathered over the years while i was in school due to the consistent F9's and my broke state (seriously broke all those years). But I generally feel a lot better than I did, I've made some worthwhile friends, I'm very comfortable and I feel I have a direction which I never felt all my days in school.
Of course I also pray, so God is very involved too. If you are an atheist, know that I have a lot of agnostic friends who are doing quite well (them boku for tech), but I know that personally, I couldn't manage without God.

If you're serious about this and want to give this a shot, quote me and I'll give you a roadmap or possible roadmaps you can follow to get your first tech job. Its not easy at all(you'll have to learn algorithms and data structures and read a lot of theory) but its very worth it.
Need to reach you please
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Davidolu2: 10:21am On Sep 30, 2021
Try to raise money � and process your VISA, leave Nigeria for good. Nothing is working anymore, schooling or no schooling.. Even those with better grade are yet to do something with it. Please travel out of the country if you can, at least you will stand a better chance over there... Getting a career job is hard in Nigeria (ON MERIT). Nothing is based on merit anymore, whether you have good grade or not.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by webhead: 10:22am On Sep 30, 2021
UYEMDO35:

Good morning! Sir....
Am a prospective final year student to be, I don't know what d the future will bring forth,
I have passion for dis online business of a thing but I really don't know how go about it... I will be really glad if u can put me through...
Good day bro.

I am not a guru in this online business thing. Neither do I consider myself to be in the position to guide someone who wants to go into it.
I started my first online business a few months ago, after taking few online courses, and I've started to see results.
The point is, I am still learning (and trust me, I still have a whole lot to learn).

But, like I said, there are plenty of places/gurus for that.
Nairaland and youtube is a great way to start.

If you really serious about this, buy a course on whichever online business you've chosen to start.

Like the FIVERR ACCELERATOR PROGRAM, PRINTING PROFITS, BIAHEZA DROP SHIPPING COURSE, KEVIN DAVID'S FBA NINJA COURSE, DIGITAL MARKETING INSTITUTE'S COURSE (based in Lagos)

Its not a get rich quick scheme ooo
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by donasere(m): 10:22am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Move to tech. Do some digital analytics or marketing courses and build yourself. You’ll be glad you did.
Your certificate just gets you in the building it’s your skills that keeps you in.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Fundamentalist: 10:24am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Your educational qualification doesn't determine your future, learn a skill. Infact it should serve as a motivation in life. In case you forgot Dino milaye graduated with a "questionable 3rd class " and he isn't depressed.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by ayemip(m): 10:31am On Sep 30, 2021
Firstly,graduating with a third class is no offence in Nigeria because our school system is wrong from d foundation.

Secondly,Develope urself by learning a trade(hand work) After graduating from d trade,try and perfect urself.

Thirdly, Save good money and travel out of dis good for nothing country.

Fourthly, Have faith in God and believe in urself. Be prayerful

The sky will b ur starting point

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by UYEMDO35(m): 10:32am On Sep 30, 2021
webhead:
Good day bro.

I am not a guru in this online business thing. Neither do I consider myself to be in the position to guide someone who wants to go into it.
I started my first online business a few months ago, after taking few online courses, and I've started to see results.
The point is, I am still learning (and trust me, I still have a whole lot to learn).

Noted....thanks for your feedback.

But, like I said, there are plenty of places/gurus for that.
Nairaland and youtube is a great way to start.

If you really serious about this, buy a course on whichever online business you've chosen to start.

Like the FIVERR ACCELERATOR PROGRAM, PRINTING PROFITS, BIAHEZA DROP SHIPPING COURSE, KEVIN DAVID'S FBA NINJA COURSE, DIGITAL MARKETING INSTITUTE'S COURSE (based in Lagos)

Its not a get rich quick scheme ooo

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by jyz200(m): 10:36am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:
I graduated with a 3rd class in Chemistry from three years ago (I only blame myself for that) and after I finished my NYSC a year ago I just plunged into a depressive state in regards to my mistake (my education) and my future (career) sometimes breaking down in tears when I think of things I've taken for granted in my life

U dy fk
U better drop that certificate and hustle like a real niqqa
Don’t let a mere paper determine your direction and achievements in life
You carry potential now go and win

2 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by AiooAi: 10:39am On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Even Professor Wole Soyinka is a third Class graduate. In life just know what you are doing
kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Latest About Admission In Rufus Giwa Polytechnic Owo / ASUU To FG: Universities Will Be Shut Down Again Over Non-Payment Of Salaries / Things I'm Glad I Knew Before I Graduated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.