Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,622 members, 7,820,202 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Third Class Graduate With No Direction - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Third Class Graduate With No Direction (23805 Views)

Can A Third Class Graduate Apply For Masters In The USA / Man Who Graduated With Third Class From OAU Discovers He’s A Genius In Canada / I Made A Third Class Now I Have An Msc About To Apply For My Phd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Hassanmaye(m): 8:16pm On Sep 30, 2021
northbird:

Why are you looking for a job? If you are in Lagos.

Go and learn a skill. You don't have to pay anyone to learn. Look for someone doing it.

Approach them esp the elderly ones, state your issues and become an apprentice. Drop your ego and serve, in six months you will have a faster grasp of the process.

You have a degree already. After six months, write a proposal to diff construction companies. On what you do,
Xand Y enterprises. The first job you get, you join hands with your former boss/master. You do it and share 50/50. Be open, put him into the know.

Ensure a good job is done. , then wait for referrals. You will be amazed 15 months down the line.

Let me give an example of a niche in construction :
1. POP
2. Flooring : Tiles, ceramics.

Goodluck.
Good
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by AmokwuJS: 8:38pm On Sep 30, 2021
please do share the info if you get it from him. I am really interested in tech
Excel70:

Yes ,I am ready to study hard.. where can I get materials for this courses
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by gibzzhd: 9:06pm On Sep 30, 2021
cutieme:

Where are you doing the PGD and how much is the tuition fee?
Ignatius Ajiru University. They are very fast. I started the program in April and just finished 2nd semester exams. I'm done with course work and all that is left is my project then I roll over into the M.sc program. I most admit that it's expensive. Tution is #145k and so far I have spent over #300k. But no regrets because they are fast here unlike the overrated uniport that you would spend 2-3 years doing the same program
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by SunmibareARC: 9:13pm On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Even as I type this I have tears in my eyes. I'm grateful for the mere fact that I'm alive but sometimes I just don't know what to do. I wake up, eat, read and sleep, my life for the past two years has just been a mostly unfulfilling cycle.

You need to do more than just "sleep, eat, read, etc"; you need to build yourself/ cv.... that's what employees pay for...don't just keep sitting waiting for miracle; walk and meet the miracle halfway...engage in any activity that will add value to your life....

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by cutieme(m): 9:29pm On Sep 30, 2021
gibzzhd:

Ignatius Ajiru University. They are very fast. I started the program in April and just finished 2nd semester exams. I'm done with course work and all that is left is my project then I roll over into the M.sc program. I most admit that it's expensive. Tution is #145k and so far I have spent over #300k. But no regrets because they are fast here unlike the overrated uniport that you would spend 2-3 years doing the same program
Wow,that's nice, please I'd like to discuss mor with you, can you drop your email address so as I could mail you.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by toprealman: 10:01pm On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:
Please I need advice, any advice.
I graduated with a 3rd class in Chemistry from three years ago (I only blame myself for that) and after I finished my NYSC a year ago I just plunged into a depressive state in regards to my mistake (my education) and my future (career) sometimes breaking down in tears when I think of things I've taken for granted in my life.

I started working on myself a few months ago and I've made some progress I proud of but every now and then it's easy to be overwhelmed with self doubt.
I made a cv without work experience along with a cover letter a few days ago and applied for a few entry level jobs like graduate intern, sales, restaurant supervisor etc via jobberman and the companies email but I'm not too sure I'll be getting any calls from them.
I didn't come here to get sympathy just an honest advice or opinion on what to do.

Can I do a pgd in chemical engineering or just chemistry or pursue a business or computer/tech course, are there jobs I can get with my degree maybe to get skills and work experience?
I deeply appreciate any advice. Thank you.
I have your number now, you can delete it ...
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by NOETHNICITY(m): 10:03pm On Sep 30, 2021
Dizzyish:

Even as I type this I have tears in my eyes. I'm grateful for the mere fact that I'm alive but sometimes I just don't know what to do. I wake up, eat, read and sleep, my life for the past two years has just been a mostly unfulfilling cycle.
I was in your shoes bro
Mine was so tough and rough given my position as the 1st son of my family with so many younger ones to look after
Third class sooooooo complicated things for me and made everything seem terribly hopeless.
Not gonna tell any lie here, it was God that bailed me out, not wisdom, not smartness. Just God
I really feel for you

3 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by lanre88(m): 10:42pm On Sep 30, 2021
Simply start networking.

Thank me later.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Rahyberg(m): 10:52pm On Sep 30, 2021
larion:

Go and learn AWS DevOps, if you don't buy a house in 3 years, come after me for refund for the wasted time.

You have e to be diligent and genuinely out effort into studying the concepts and knowing it. 6 months should be fine.

Below is a breakdown of what you need to learn:

AWS
Linux basic operations
Git and GitHub
Jenkins for CI/CD pipeline
Docker
Terraform
Prometheus/Grafana

If you can add Kubernetes to the stack, then reduce the time it will take you to buy your house from 3 years to 2.

All these things should NOT take you more than 6 months to learn, it has to do with IT and computer, but I tell you....if you can graduate with chemistry in Nigeria, (I don't care the class) learning all those butane, propane, tetrahydrocannabinol equation, then you can learn this stuffs.

The market is VERY hot for DevOps at the moment, after learning it, you should easily get a job of 5k USD per month, as a fresher....either you move to South Africa, UK,or US .....or you work remotely from Nigeria....the market is HOT!

Once you have 1 year hands on experience, expect to start earning 300 to 400usd every day....that's 150k naira, daily!

Yes! I mean this....if you earn 4million naira every month and you cannot buy a house in 2 years, then na you Sabi.

But hey....you have to study these things diligently for the first 6 months.

Anyone who doesn't understand what I am saying should search "AWS Devops jobs in UK or US". Put the job type to contract and see how much you can earn per day....

The question is, are you ready to study hard just for 6 month??

Sir, will you mind tutoring me on this sir?.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by jydorchem: 11:22pm On Sep 30, 2021
Dear Op,

What you are about to read is not meant to 'motivate' you but rather unravel some unkowns and I hope you'll be patient enough to read it. The class of your degree has nothing to do with how far you go (or excel) in life. Worst case scenario is that it may take a longer time for you to achieve certain feats in some career(especially academia).
Now you already graduated with a third class; this can not be reversed. What next is how to be useful in life.
There are lots of opportunities to be relevant in life if you have the desired skills. As the world stands, having an IT skill can push you ahead of your peers that graduated with better grades.

I'll give you a real-life example. I studied Chemistry in my first and second degrees and graduated at the top of my class(First class and Distinction respectively). There was a colleague in my set during my first degree. He used every opportunity he had while we were in school to develop himself in digital marketing and related skills. His graduated with either third class or the weakest second-class lower division. The shocking truth was that he got a very good job before we went for NYSC. They didn't even care if he had graduated or not. Fast-forward to a couple of years, he has travelled to different countries (currently settling down in an European country) and also updated his skills to meet the current demand. I have series examples of similar cases.

This is not to discourage graduating at the top of your class. But let me shock you. Despite having enviable grades, I couldn't get a job on time and I was frustrated. A friend introduced me to online freelancing and this changed my story. Even when I eventually got an academic position in a Federal University, my income from the freelancing was 2-3x my salary. Interestingly, I was able to earn that much without my certificates!

Now, what do you need to do? Restucture your mind and select a skill to learn. Be flexible and open to opportunities outside your field. Move closer to people in the tech field. They will advise you on where to start and how to go about it. You'll be fine within 6 months. Be determined and intentional!

I hope to read your testimony by mid next year. Feel free to reach out to me.

Regards,
Jydorchem

Dizzyish:
I graduated with a 3rd class in Chemistry from three years ago (I only blame myself for that) and after I finished my NYSC a year ago I just plunged into a depressive state in regards to my mistake (my education) and my future (career) sometimes breaking down in tears when I think of things I've taken for granted in my life.

I started working on myself a few months ago and I've made some progress I proud of but every now and then it's easy to be overwhelmed with self doubt.
I made a cv without work experience along with a cover letter a few days ago and applied for a few entry level jobs like graduate intern, sales, restaurant supervisor etc via jobberman and the companies email but I'm not too sure I'll be getting any calls from them.
I didn't come here to get sympathy just an honest advice or opinion on what to do.

Can I do a pgd in chemical engineering or just chemistry or pursue a business or computer/tech course, are there jobs I can get with my degree maybe to get skills and work experience?

5 Likes

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Iseddy: 10:01am On Oct 01, 2021
[quote author=15thAccount post=106305222]

Hey, I don't know if you'll ever see this, as there are many posts before mine, but i was a similar boat as yours, I graduated with a third class about 3-4 years ago and this was after 3 extra years. I graduated with no skills and no experiences, inferiority complex and social anxiety. I was learning animation for a while before I decided to go into tech. Even though tech is stressful, the growth is exponential, even compared to what you see in other industries, you'll probably earn in your first year what others in industries like banking or insurance earn after 2 to 3 years.

You'll say your salary as a developer on nairaland and it'll cause fight, because many Nigerians cannot fathom how someone will earn that kind of money in this economy. Nobody will believe you. so basically tech gives you the potential to earn unbelievable salary lmao.

People outside of tech don't understand and think about guys telling you "let me build a website for you 10k". That's not the tech industry i'm talking about. on average junior devs earn about 150k to 350k here in Nigeria every month, If its a foreign Job, its about 1000 - 2000 dollars every month.

My Advice.
Pick up a laptop and do your research of how to go into tech, learn necessary skills like HTML and CSS and Javascript and a backend language, It would probably take you a year to be comfortable (I learnt for about a year or two, before getting my first role). Developers are in high demand in Nigeria, because many experienced developers go on to work for foreign companies remotely, so many Nigerian firms need to constantly hire devs to replace them.

This is the only advice I can give now, because it worked for me and I don't regret, I still feel some inferiority complex and social anxiety gathered over the years while i was in school due to the consistent F9's and my broke state (seriously broke all those years). But I generally feel a lot better than I did, I've made some worthwhile friends, I'm very comfortable and I feel I have a direction which I never felt all my days in school.
Of course I also pray, so God is very involved too. If you are an atheist, know that I have a lot of agnostic friends who are doing quite well (them boku for tech), but I know that personally, I couldn't manage without God.

If you're serious about this and want to give this a shot, quote me and I'll give you a roadmap or possible roadmaps you can follow to get your first tech job. Its not easy at all(you'll have to learn algorithms and data structures and read a lot of theory) but its very worth it.[/quot]
Well said.... Bro can I get your email, am a tech lover too.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Nobody: 10:50am On Oct 01, 2021
larion:

Go and learn AWS DevOps, if you don't buy a house in 3 years, come after me for refund for the wasted time.

You have e to be diligent and genuinely out effort into studying the concepts and knowing it. 6 months should be fine.

AWS
Linux basic operations
Git and GitHub
Docker
Terraform
Prometheus/Grafana

If you can add Kubernetes to the stack, then reduce the time it will take you to buy your house from 3 years to 2.

All these things should NOT take you more than 6 months to learn, it has to do with IT and computer, but I tell you....if you can graduate with chemistry in Nigeria, (I don't care the class) learning all those butane, propane, tetrahydrocannabinol equation, then you can learn this stuffs.

The market is VERY hot for DevOps at the moment, after learning it, you should easily get a job of 5k USD per month, as a fresher....either you move to South Africa, UK,or US .....or you work remotely from Nigeria....the market is HOT!

Once you have 1 year hands on experience, expect to start earning 300 to 400usd every day....that's 150k naira, daily!

Yes! I mean this....if you earn 4million naira every month and you cannot buy a house in 2 years, then na you Sabi.

Anyone who doesn't understand what I am saying should search "AWS Devops jobs in UK or US". Put the job type to contract and see how much you can earn per day....

Please I'm very interested to learn AWS DevOps please where do I begin to learn?
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Hahjascho(m): 11:03am On Oct 01, 2021
chatinent:
More reasons I advise students not to subscribe to the “dem no dey carry first” nonsense in tertiary institutions.

By the way OP, it is not the end of the world. With perseverance and hard work, you can make the subsequent results bring smiles to your face.

You are welcome.
I tell you.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by gibzzhd: 12:40pm On Oct 01, 2021
cutieme:

Wow,that's nice, please I'd like to discuss mor with you, can you drop your email address so as I could mail you.
frankirogue@gmail.com
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Spiff20(m): 12:57pm On Oct 01, 2021
Dizzyish:

drop your contact and I'll reach out to you with some ideas. I'm in same city and studied same course.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 01, 2021
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by NigeriaIsGreat: 3:44pm On Oct 01, 2021
jericco1:
I advice people when they're in school they should get the best grades. Unless you have a second or third god, then you need it.

I don't have any advice for you but PGD is not bad
After the best grade what next?
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by bluefilm: 4:19pm On Oct 01, 2021
Xscape1993:
Don't give up on yourself bro. Keep pushing up. Greatness is in every man.

Story for the gods. undecided
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by jericco1(m): 4:30pm On Oct 01, 2021
NigeriaIsGreat:
After the best grade what next?

With that you can be viable on both fronts.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by lialily: 7:24pm On Oct 01, 2021
Hi, this is good but make sure you have good projector for the meetings. You may choose from these selected ones by the top gurus in the industry.

Hassanmaye:

Wow

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by kollinskollins(m): 10:06pm On Oct 01, 2021
Please who'll mentor me or teach me all about data science... What must I do to start from scratch. I need it please

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Mercygreatwoman(f): 9:12am On Oct 02, 2021
larion:

AWS
Linux basic operations
Git and GitHub
Docker
Terraform
Prometheus/Grafana

Please I'm ready to learn. How do I begin please

1 Like

Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by toprealman: 2:14pm On Oct 02, 2021
Dizzyish:

Can't find your number on my phone. Please resend it.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 02, 2021
toprealman:

Can't find your number on my phone. Please resend it.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by toprealman: 5:51pm On Oct 02, 2021
Dizzyish:

I have seen it...
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Lolfurnitures(m): 11:15am On Oct 03, 2021
15thAccount:

Hey, I don't know if you'll ever see this, as there are many posts before mine, but i was a similar boat as yours, I graduated with a third class about 3-4 years ago and this was after 3 extra years. I graduated with no skills and no experiences, inferiority complex and social anxiety. I was learning animation for a while before I decided to go into tech. Even though tech is stressful, the growth is exponential, even compared to what you see in other industries, you'll probably earn in your first year what others in industries like banking or insurance earn after 2 to 3 years.

You'll say your salary as a developer on nairaland and it'll cause fight, because many Nigerians cannot fathom how someone will earn that kind of money in this economy. Nobody will believe you. so basically tech gives you the potential to earn unbelievable salary lmao.

People outside of tech don't understand and think about guys telling you "let me build a website for you 10k". That's not the tech industry i'm talking about. on average junior devs earn about 150k to 350k here in Nigeria every month, If its a foreign Job, its about 1000 - 2000 dollars every month.

My Advice.
Pick up a laptop and do your research of how to go into tech, learn necessary skills like HTML and CSS and Javascript and a backend language, It would probably take you a year to be comfortable (I learnt for about a year or two, before getting my first role). Developers are in high demand in Nigeria, because many experienced developers go on to work for foreign companies remotely, so many Nigerian firms need to constantly hire devs to replace them.

This is the only advice I can give now, because it worked for me and I don't regret, I still feel some inferiority complex and social anxiety gathered over the years while i was in school due to the consistent F9's and my broke state (seriously broke all those years). But I generally feel a lot better than I did, I've made some worthwhile friends, I'm very comfortable and I feel I have a direction which I never felt all my days in school.
Of course I also pray, so God is very involved too. If you are an atheist, know that I have a lot of agnostic friends who are doing quite well (them boku for tech), but I know that personally, I couldn't manage without God.

If you're serious about this and want to give this a shot, quote me and I'll give you a roadmap or possible roadmaps you can follow to get your first tech job. Its not easy at all(you'll have to learn algorithms and data structures and read a lot of theory) but its very worth it.

Hi sir. Can you help me with information on possible roadmaps I can follow because I’m interested in learning tech.
Thank you very much.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Lolfurnitures(m): 11:17am On Oct 03, 2021
larion:

AWS
Linux basic operations
Git and GitHub
Docker
Terraform
Prometheus/Grafana

I’m ready to learn. Kindly provide with me with more information on how I can move forward. Thank you very much.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by sageb: 11:25am On Oct 03, 2021
gibzzhd:

Ignatius Ajuru masters program is the fastest in Rivers State.
my alma mater is slow compared to IAUE.
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by Dennismaria(m): 5:04pm On Oct 03, 2021
macnino399:
Don't loose hope bro
It won't take more than a minute for God to change your story.

The richest of Men are those that provides solutions to problems. Think deep

Hello. Please I sent you a PM
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by macnino399: 2:49pm On Oct 04, 2021
Dennismaria:

Hello. Please I sent you a PM
Yeah, I saw it
I just replied
Re: Third Class Graduate With No Direction by sunnx(f): 10:52pm On Oct 04, 2021
Mercygreatwoman:

Please I'm ready to learn. How do I begin please

I studied Political science and grad 9 years also delayed in seeking lead me to a state security job. How this IT stuff be useful for me? But hey the salary of the state government aren't up to 90k but am in level 9 just looking for what to complete the job till I perhaps quit it and Start my own business life.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Kwara State University Renamed Olusola Saraki University / ASUU Denies Reaching Agreement With FG / The Water Supplied To Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital Hostel, Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.