Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Should I Euthanize My Dad? - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should I Euthanize My Dad? (41993 Views)

Help - My Dad Just Had A Stroke / Help My Dad Has Severe Stomach Pains / I'm In An Extreme End, Im Losing My Dad! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by SunTzu123(m): 8:44pm On Oct 05, 2021
Euthenesia is not an option in Nigeria. Your pains must be deep. Look inside yourself and make a decision to go through this storm. This is your promotion exam. Please give it all you got. Look for one kind hearted lecturer in your faculty and open up to him/her. God always plants helpers when your storm comes. Don't close up; you may miss a helper. Speak to as many people as possible for help. Do not be ashamed to beg. Beg doctors, beg lecturers, beg neighbours, beg cousins, beg in-laws. Forgive (and I mean truly forgive) those who can help but refuse to do so. Accept ANY help from ANYWHERE!
Believe me, I see you motivating other people in pain sometimes in the future.

On the other hand, older men (like me) we need to take good care of our health for the sake of our families. Remember you are the most important thing to you! If you are sick, you automatically become a problem for the next generation you're killing yourself for. Life happens though.

As you go through this, do not loose sight of your greatness in future. This is your promotion exam. Though slightly different, I passed through similar test of strength. You may not agree with me but ...all things work together into good for those that believe. Please pass this exam.

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Blackfire(m): 8:45pm On Oct 05, 2021
You want to use your dad for Money rituals you this igbo boy eeeehhhh
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Franking: 8:45pm On Oct 05, 2021
Bola146:
So sorry, please don't kill him. Continue praying for him, God will help you out.

God? Help him out? After how many years?

4 Likes

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by 1Sharon(f): 8:45pm On Oct 05, 2021
Goldiness:

My God help your poor soul sad

Jungle justice is rife in Nigeria, but do y'all give a damn about those ppl?

Yet you turn around to say 'let God's will be done'

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by worldclass68(m): 8:46pm On Oct 05, 2021
Eyaaa had almost similar issue but not up to that all .....but it was very hard men..for bout 8 years sha...but mine could still work few times, and not stroke nah COPD join with heart problem and sorts...whole house filled with different meds....survived several attacks but we never wished him dead, was at work the day he had the last and final attack..if I were home, I'm %100 sure he wouldn't have happened..I'm the only male....
But we felt that relieved surely...

Don't do it, cuz u spend so much already..better still discuss it with the family, don't do what u would regret for the rest of ur life...

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Franking: 8:47pm On Oct 05, 2021
My brother, do the best u can but don't kill ur father.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by onojaford(m): 8:47pm On Oct 05, 2021
Omorotionmwann:
It has been 12years now since my dad has been down with Stroke which has affected his speech,his right hand and leg and some 4years ago,he couldn't walk anymore but had to be carried to sleep,sit and all physical metabolism is done where he is,even after I and my mum have spent and still spends a lot on physiotherapy,speech therapy,brain checkups at Mecure oshodi,routine and forthnight high blood pressure checkups with expensive drugs and still no changes but it gets worse,all done going around in taxi as I have no car.....

I was 18 and in 200level in a federal uni with him and my mum my only support system when all of this started,couldn't concentrate and focus on school work anymore as I am the firstborn of a 7 boys family and my attention was always needed.....Mum told me I need to drop out that she can't afford all of this alone but I was strong hearted and determined to graduate with a B.Eng...

I had issues with my lecturers as my attendance were poor and my course adviser said it to my face that I would never graduate but I never told them about my travails or they wouldn't even believe me anyways cos they were mostly SADIST,All Engineering lecturers in Uniben especially Mechanical/PRODUCTION ENGINEERING from 08/09 upward,OGUN KILL ALL OF UNA!!! Life was tough for me and my Mum....

Now that I am a Man and supposed to be focus on my life future and raising a family but this is still taking a toll on me emotionally,financially,mentally and I will come home to my mum nagging,crying that she has tried enough over the years and i might come home one day and she has left ....THIS BREAKS ME,I AM TIRED,I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO....I LOVE MY DAD,HE IS IN PAINS TOO!!!

IF I COULD SEE THE FUTURE BACK THEN WHEN IT STARTED,I WOULD HAVE ASKED THE DOCTORS FOR MERCY DEATH,DO NIGERIAN DOCTORS OR HOSPITALS GIVE OUT MERCY DEATH TO PATIENTS?

NAIRALANDERS,I AM DEPRESSED AND I NEED YOUR ADVICE

sorry for the long post. Mods please help this thread to front page for more advice

Your dad is better dead! I understand you are conflicted because you are an empathetic person. But scientifically, you punish your dad every moment you leave him alive in his condition. Healthy people murder themselves in the face of some foreseen travails, talk more of a man who has been deep in travails.

If your dad could still speak, he would have requested euthanasia himself long ago.

Personally, if I have a miserable, terminal disease, the types known for putting people through pain and misery, I will simply shoot myself straight in the head from the right side of my temple.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by olaodun: 8:48pm On Oct 05, 2021
I empathize and sympathize with your situation however you case is just spiritual and medical, First and foremost as a man you need to be strong physically ,spiritually and financially and mentally . As the first child in the family and with other children just be strong , First anything that can be delayed such as admission , marriage or any other , 1 get small business with which all the other children should be involved to get petty cash as least for feeding . 2 Involve good church members for both spiritual and other supports.Then be patient with all stakeholder and do your best and leave the rest God will do the best for you and your family
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by rapheal5(m): 8:48pm On Oct 05, 2021
Omorotionmwann:
It has been 12years now since my dad has been down with Stroke which has affected his speech,his right hand and leg and some 4years ago,he couldn't walk anymore but had to be carried to sleep,sit and all physical metabolism is done where he is,even after I and my mum have spent and still spends a lot on physiotherapy,speech therapy,brain checkups at Mecure oshodi,routine and forthnight high blood pressure checkups with expensive drugs and still no changes but it gets worse,all done going around in taxi as I have no car.....

I was 18 and in 200level in a federal uni with him and my mum my only support system when all of this started,couldn't concentrate and focus on school work anymore as I am the firstborn of a 7 boys family and my attention was always needed.....Mum told me I need to drop out that she can't afford all of this alone but I was strong hearted and determined to graduate with a B.Eng...

I had issues with my lecturers as my attendance were poor and my course adviser said it to my face that I would never graduate but I never told them about my travails or they wouldn't even believe me anyways cos they were mostly SADIST,All Engineering lecturers in Uniben especially Mechanical/PRODUCTION ENGINEERING from 08/09 upward,OGUN KILL ALL OF UNA!!! Life was tough for me and my Mum....

Now that I am a Man and supposed to be focus on my life future and raising a family but this is still taking a toll on me emotionally,financially,mentally and I will come home to my mum nagging,crying that she has tried enough over the years and i might come home one day and she has left ....THIS BREAKS ME,I AM TIRED,I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO....I LOVE MY DAD,HE IS IN PAINS TOO!!!

IF I COULD SEE THE FUTURE BACK THEN WHEN IT STARTED,I WOULD HAVE ASKED THE DOCTORS FOR MERCY DEATH,DO NIGERIAN DOCTORS OR HOSPITALS GIVE OUT MERCY DEATH TO PATIENTS?

sorry for the long post. Mods please help this thread to front page for more advice
why don't u stop orthodox medication for now and start using both traditional herbs and herbal supplement....Google search doctor sebi online I believe it will work for him.....stop orthodox medication for now.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Iamziggy: 8:49pm On Oct 05, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

Sorry for what ever pains u are going through. Pls don't even try to do it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Djoel: 8:50pm On Oct 05, 2021
See, and I hope you get to read this. You must lead you Dad to Jesus if he is not saved before he dies. That is an incredible opportunity you have and the best thing you can do for your Dad.

Please and please, if you are not saved yourself, why not give Jesus a chance. He will come into this situation and turnaround all these pains to work out for the good of you and your family members - this I have proven Him do time and time again.

If you are having a second thought about being saved, please find a true Christian around and ask him to help you do this.

Crossing from suffering to the bosom of Jesus is a thing of eternal gratitude.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by CaptainFM1: 8:51pm On Oct 05, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

Seek lawyers, medical personnel for the professional advise....esp about the legal consequences.

Most importantly, the person in question (your dad) and the entire family must be in unison on the matter.

Euthanizing can be murderous if not properly done. Doctors are aware of this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Noeasyway042(m): 8:52pm On Oct 05, 2021
Sorry MAN! But mercy killing or whatever they term it, might be the best option in the eyes of men, but is not the best solution. Just try your best and leave the rest to His maker.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by samwillyco1(m): 8:52pm On Oct 05, 2021
frozen70:

At this stage, you have to discuss with every member of your family if mercy death will be an option

Whatever the family agrees on is what you guys will accept

It's a hard decision but, what else?

I don't think any Doctor will carry out such on any patient without the patient asking for it unless the doctor is wicked.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by komodapson(m): 8:52pm On Oct 05, 2021
Franking:

Smh. Africans and their useless superstition.

He shouldn't do for moral reasons not this bullsh*t generation nonsense.

You sef you see am, naso one idi*t talk say make dem dey pray....can you imagine.
I can't just imagine, standing in front of the wife of the Sick and dishing out such gibberish... "Madam, make una continue dey pray ó"...is that how prayer works? Even a Priest won't proffer such advice...
Some folks here need to undergo corporal punishment for being dumb head....

4 Likes

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by EkoErrands: 8:53pm On Oct 05, 2021
maureensylvia:
Lemme pee, I'm coming
Alright, I'm back grin

No matter what, he's your loving father.. his seed brought you into this world. The mercy death on this is unjustifiable.

It's true it hurts, but you have to carry the cross.. it has its own blessings.. believe me.

Try and take care of him but KNOW your limit.. don't spend much on him but take care of him.

Even if he dies on the long run, you won't feel guilty.. you will feel fulfilled that you tried your best.

Encourage your maale, nwanyi Ibem!!! She must have seen alot to the extent of giving the thought of running away.
If you can, get a nanny that can take care of your Dad.

Don't do something stupid
Read it again

Cheers
This too will pass kiss
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Danjikanbauchi: 8:54pm On Oct 05, 2021
sirjoggy:
Please don't try it bro, it can create a generation curse
what curse sir, the man is in so much pain.

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Franking: 8:55pm On Oct 05, 2021
komodapson:

You sef you see am, naso one idi*t talk say make dem dey pray....can you imagine.
I can't just imagine, standing in front of the wife of the Sick and dishing out such gibberish... "Madam, make una continue dey pray ó"...is that how prayer works? Even a Priest won't proffer such advice...
Some folks here need to undergo corporal punishment for being dumb head....

I dey tells u, bro.

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by EkoErrands: 8:55pm On Oct 05, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

Mine was 13yrs before he died. I was in SS1 at the time in 1999 when he had stroke and that semester was my best semester in all my secondary schooling. I remember my first 600k I made I used it to furnish the village house in preparation for his burial. I bought everything from doors to ceiling fan to vita foam etc etc. Tiled only the sitting room.

So OP, my advice to you is do what we did. It's not my mom that was doing all the hard work again...we had a little cousin...I think he was 9 or 10 when his own mother died so he came to live with us and he started taking care of my dad in every way possible even while going to school and my mom goes to work.

So what the family needs to do is employ someone to do the work...not your mom pls before she falls. And at the right time he would go and be with the Lord. And you won't die of guilt.

Get someone fast.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Evince(m): 8:56pm On Oct 05, 2021
Kobojunkie:
So, it hasn't occurred to you that the reason this man still lives is because the Most High allows it? undecided
no most high allowed anything. Science is keeping him alive once they quit drug supply he will be in more pain and die so the best is to euthanize him just like my mum wrote in her will saying should sickness bedrid her, that we should do the needful instead of suffering her and spending funds of which she will still die. So OP you guys are subjecting ur dad to more pain. Do the needful and let him rest. Such is life no matter the amount of love.

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Daboomb: 8:56pm On Oct 05, 2021
Stroke is Paralysis in the Nervous System.
As bad as it is, your Dad is not in Pain, only that he cant move his limbs or do al those things that require 'control".
Where then is thi s "My father is in pain" coming from?

I agree that it can be very challenging and exhausting, even frustrating, to care for someone invalid btu it can happen to anybody, including YOU!

Will YOU want your Life snuffed out by the Child you sired and raised to University level, just because you cant move or help yourself?
Dont even think about it moreover, you will be charged for MURDER because our Laws does not recognise such "mercy-less" killing.
And if you escape the Govt, you will not escape God's Judgement for killing a living being, no matter how paralysed that being is.

We dont have enough information about his condition, to be able to make useful suggestion that might improve his situation, l have seen a few completely paralysed people regain their motor-control, gently over time.

Can he recognise those around him?
It appears he can eat (otherwise he wont survive that long).
Do you exercise his limbs/muscles regularly?
Was the Paralysis from an Accident to the Backbone or other reasons like BP, Stress, etc?
Have you tried Alternative Medicine?
Do you have siblings that can help out occasionaly?

Your Mum wanting to Opt out is typical of most Black Women, their loyalty cannot be relied upon extensively.
I am certain that if she opted out and, say after a few years, the Man become better and won a Lottery, she would come back and claim "I am his Wife". angry undecided
You will marry one day and realise Women are all the same, even though Men like to delude themselves that their own is different.

Please keep trying, there are blessings attached to what you are doing, which you might not be aware of.
Each time you bath and feed your Father, though he might not be able to talk, his soul is offering prayers for you (and it will be a curse if you kill him or abandon him, as your Mum wanst to do) and this sort of prayer are like "gum", they stick.

Later in Life, you will remeber and reflect the statement l made above.

We will all be praying for you, that God will give you strength, courage and the means to overcome all challenges that this Care for your Dad, poses to you.
Dont give Up on him, our Faith are sealed the day we were born. You will laugh last.

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by PotatoSalad(m): 8:57pm On Oct 05, 2021
Eriokanmi:
Can you pray? All I've read was about drugs, mecure and all that. Have you ever thought of involving the maker and creator of life who can reverse the irreversible in this case? Not all bad health conditions are natural. Some are attacks , aimed at rendering you penniless by enemies. Kindly put it into prayers and you'd testify. I can understand your plight.

Nigerians and attacks. Nobody is attacking you.
The prayers they've been saying since is what? Grace before meal? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by shogsman(m): 8:57pm On Oct 05, 2021
First off 99% of nairalanders are not smart enough and too ill mature to even understand you let alone advice you.if your father is still a little bit coherent study him and ask if that is what he wants,if it is provide him with the available means and let him go very peacefully.
This dotheads cannot even begin to understand the kind of pain and emotional toll this has taken on your old man and your family for years.
Don't be like the useless family of a former footballer who was kept in coma for over 40years

2 Likes

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by shogsman(m): 8:58pm On Oct 05, 2021
sirjoggy:
Please don't try it bro, it can create a generation curse
What kind of foolishness is this one again, generational curse,are you high
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by duro4chang(m): 8:59pm On Oct 05, 2021
okoroemeka:
even if he does anything radical it is for the greater good of the family,after I lost my senior brother,my father and mother within a space of 5 years and having the mantle of leadership on my shoulders,it is not easy to take some decisions as a leader,there are some decisions that must be taken without sentiment or emotions,you may personally not like such decisions but it must be taken for the greater good,that is one of the requirements to be a leader.
You you you of all people ? Alright.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Joshuazedd(m): 8:59pm On Oct 05, 2021
Stroke is irreversible. A damage don to the brain can never be reversed. You can only maximize the functioning parts through some therapies. Don't spend too much if it's that bad. Do the little you can till he passes on. Euthanasia is no legal in Nigeria
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Jaqenhghar: 8:59pm On Oct 05, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

Is he a dog that you will euthanize him? angry
Someone needs to smack the shít out of you

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Elidrisy20: 9:00pm On Oct 05, 2021
When you are a kid, at times, you might have fall sick , and your parents will stand for you, and now you have grown up,and your dad is sick, and you are thinking of Mercy full death? What a shsme

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by TWLifestyle: 9:00pm On Oct 05, 2021
Kobojunkie:
So, it hasn't occurred to you that the reason this man still lives is because the Most High allows it? undecided
religion has truly damaged mamy of you people s thinking faculties . Thete is no gayher who would wamt his child yo sacrifice his life - with no end in sight just so he can continue life in the state the op described! Even the father is suffering- so whatd the point ?

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by 1Sharon(f): 9:01pm On Oct 05, 2021
EkoErrands:

Mine was 13yrs before he died. I was in SS1 at the time in 1999 when he had stroke and that semester was my best semester in all my secondary schooling. I remember my first 600k I made I used it to furnish the village house in preparation for his burial. I bought everything from doors to ceiling fan to vita foam etc etc. Tiled only the sitting room.

So OP, my advice to you is do what we did. It's not my mom that was doing all the hard work again...we had a little cousin...I think he was 9 or 10 when his own mother died so he came to live with us and he started taking care of my dad in every way possible even while going to school and my mom goes to work.

So what the family needs to do is employ someone to do the work...not your mom pls before she falls. And at the right time he would go and be with the Lord. And you won't die of guilt.

Get someone fast.

Oh dear
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by PotatoSalad(m): 9:01pm On Oct 05, 2021
IkemChris:
There is a big need to talk to God about him... Don't kill what you didn't create... His creator has destined him for glory... What God cannot do, does not exist
Why must he wait for us to talk to him?
Think about it. Your father sees you suffering and sits there waiting for you to ask for help.
How?

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Homeboiy: 9:02pm On Oct 05, 2021
Richy4:
why can't you open up to your lecturers instead of devising a means to eliminate your own Father... I believe you got smart phones.. take couple of pictures and show them with tears in your eyes...

What are you trying to prove to your lecturers?... Why are you bottling things up? ... Are you trying to prove to them by acting tough in their presence that all is well with you when clearly all isn't...No matter how sadist they are, even the devil got soft spots...Assuming your school has students advisors, This situation is enough to granted you a study leave because you can't concentrate.... Please tell your lecturers the situation of things....

You are clearly passing through a traumatic situation at the moment but u have to try your best to leave your dad out of it until his maker calls him...Can you be able to leave with it that you killed your own father for the rest of your life? besides, you have no right whatsoever to take a life u did not make..... he did not kill you when u were a toddler..No matter what you call it, Mercy killing, or kind killing, killing is killing....Thou shall not Kill angry

If you attend/attended uniben you will know that those male lecturers are the worst sadists on earth.

What my course adviser said to me yesterday, I just reason am shake head

My mates graduated in 2014

Na jamb I blame. They can make you commit suicide with words

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Task Force Closes Bars, Clubs And Restaurants In Anambra Over Coronavirus / Nigeria's Roadside Eye Doctor Performs Operations Under Lagos Bridge. Shocking! / I'm Ready To Sue One Of The Biggest Private Hospital In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.