Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,936 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

Should I Euthanize My Dad? - Health (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should I Euthanize My Dad? (42004 Views)

Help - My Dad Just Had A Stroke / Help My Dad Has Severe Stomach Pains / I'm In An Extreme End, Im Losing My Dad! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by A305: 10:56pm On Oct 05, 2021
Let's see this from another perspective.

Imagine this young man (op), who is frustrated by this lingering situation with no end in sight; Depressed and his mental health hitting rock bottom decides to just end his own misery by committing suicide?

What would be the fate of his Dad and family?

Will the second born carry on with the burden of treating their dad and family struggle?

Will their sick Dad be proud of the fate of his children which goal in life is to only care for him because he has terminal ailment?

For those that brought God into this dilemma.

Does God enjoy the suffering this family is going through?

According to Socrates: There is only one evil — Ignorance, and only one good — Knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by KufreDavid(m): 11:06pm On Oct 05, 2021
This is my number, call or WhatsApp me: 08103339314. Please do so immediately

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Calitoscassius(m): 11:07pm On Oct 05, 2021
Clearly your father has become a vegetable, he is completely useless and will never recover, rather than wasting all that money, pains and heartaches on him use the money and energy to care for your mother and children, just leave him with no food or water for about a week and he will be out of his misery.

It would be a waste of time, energy and money trying to revive him as i said, he is a vegetable. He will never recover.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by cooooooks(m): 11:08pm On Oct 05, 2021
Stories like yours are the worst part of being Nigerian.

If you are not quite wealthy or very well employed, access to quality healthcare is impossible, and affording such quality when you access it is prohibitive.

If we had proper healthcare system like in the UK, Canada, SA; the treatments, costs, care and decisions would have been taken by medical professionals.

Take heart, take this question to a reputable, high placed doctor and go on from there.

You are not wicked for these thoughts, can your dad speak or respond to stimuli?

Some people create wills just to answer this question: "what do you do to me if I am a vegetable?".

Good luck.
Omorotionmwann:
It has been 12years now since my dad has been down with Stroke which has affected his speech,his right hand and leg and some 4years ago,he couldn't walk anymore but had to be carried to sleep,sit and all physical metabolism is done where he is,even after I and my mum have spent and still spends a lot on physiotherapy,speech therapy,brain checkups at Mecure oshodi,routine and forthnight high blood pressure checkups with expensive drugs and still no changes but it gets worse,all done going around in taxi as I have no car.....

I was 18 and in 200level in a federal uni with him and my mum my only support system when all of this started,couldn't concentrate and focus on school work anymore as I am the firstborn of a 7 boys family and my attention was always needed.....Mum told me I need to drop out that she can't afford all of this alone but I was strong hearted and determined to graduate with a B.Eng...

I had issues with my lecturers as my attendance were poor and my course adviser said it to my face that I would never graduate but I never told them about my travails or they wouldn't even believe me anyways cos they were mostly SADIST,All Engineering lecturers in Uniben especially Mechanical/PRODUCTION ENGINEERING from 08/09 upward,OGUN KILL ALL OF UNA!!! Life was tough for me and my Mum....

Now that I am a Man and supposed to be focus on my life future and raising a family but this is still taking a toll on me emotionally,financially,mentally and I will come home to my mum nagging,crying that she has tried enough over the years and i might come home one day and she has left ....THIS BREAKS ME,I AM TIRED,I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO....I LOVE MY DAD,HE IS IN PAINS TOO!!!

IF I COULD SEE THE FUTURE BACK THEN WHEN IT STARTED,I WOULD HAVE ASKED THE DOCTORS FOR MERCY DEATH,DO NIGERIAN DOCTORS OR HOSPITALS GIVE OUT MERCY DEATH TO PATIENTS?

NAIRALANDERS,I AM DEPRESSED AND I NEED YOUR ADVICE

sorry for the long post. Mods please help this thread to front page for more advice
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by usmexy1(m): 11:10pm On Oct 05, 2021
Omorotionmwann:
It has been 12years now since my dad has been down with Stroke which has affected his speech,his right hand and leg and some 4years ago,he couldn't walk anymore but had to be carried to sleep,sit and all physical metabolism is done where he is,even after I and my mum have spent and still spends a lot on physiotherapy,speech therapy,brain checkups at Mecure oshodi,routine and forthnight high blood pressure checkups with expensive drugs and still no changes but it gets worse,all done going around in taxi as I have no car.....

I was 18 and in 200level in a federal uni with him and my mum my only support system when all of this started,couldn't concentrate and focus on school work anymore as I am the firstborn of a 7 boys family and my attention was always needed.....Mum told me I need to drop out that she can't afford all of this alone but I was strong hearted and determined to graduate with a B.Eng...

I had issues with my lecturers as my attendance were poor and my course adviser said it to my face that I would never graduate but I never told them about my travails or they wouldn't even believe me anyways cos they were mostly SADIST,All Engineering lecturers in Uniben especially Mechanical/PRODUCTION ENGINEERING from 08/09 upward,OGUN KILL ALL OF UNA!!! Life was tough for me and my Mum....

Now that I am a Man and supposed to be focus on my life future and raising a family but this is still taking a toll on me emotionally,financially,mentally and I will come home to my mum nagging,crying that she has tried enough over the years and i might come home one day and she has left ....THIS BREAKS ME,I AM TIRED,I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO....I LOVE MY DAD,HE IS IN PAINS TOO!!!

IF I COULD SEE THE FUTURE BACK THEN WHEN IT STARTED,I WOULD HAVE ASKED THE DOCTORS FOR MERCY DEATH,DO NIGERIAN DOCTORS OR HOSPITALS GIVE OUT MERCY DEATH TO PATIENTS?

sorry for the long post. Mods please help this thread to front page for more advice

IT IS BETTER YOU ALLOW GOD TO KILL HIM RATHER THAN YOU KILLING HIM YOURSELF,IF YOU KILL HIM,DEFINITELY YOUR CHILDREN WILL KILL YOU AS WELL. YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW.

JUST DON'T BORROW MONEY OUTSIDE BECAUSE YOU WANT TO TAKE CARE OF HIM,JUST SHOW SUPPORT ACCORDING TO YOUR POWER AND CAPACITY.

THE WORD YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW WORKS OOO
CHECK OUT THE CHILDREN OF NOWADAYS SMOKING CRACK AND MARIJUANA UP AND DOWN,WHO KNOWS THE SIN THERE FOREFATHERS HAS COMMITTED IN THE PAST. THE THING MAY NOT COME TO YOU,BUT IT WILL SURELY COME,IT MAY AFFECTS YOUR UNBORN GREAT GRAND CHILDREN...

BE PATIENT, REDUCE YOUR EXPENSES ON HIM..
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by stasius: 11:11pm On Oct 05, 2021
Who will offer you Euthanasia in Nigeria?
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by etido15(m): 11:16pm On Oct 05, 2021
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by creativeinventor: 11:21pm On Oct 05, 2021
Daboomb:
Stroke is Paralysis in the Nervous System.
As bad as it is, your Dad is not in Pain, only that he cant move his limbs or do al those things that require 'control".
Where then is thi s "My father is in pain" coming from?

I agree that it can be very challenging and exhausting, even frustrating, to care for someone invalid btu it can happen to anybody, including YOU!

Will YOU want your Life snuffed out by the Child you sired and raised to University level, just because you cant move or help yourself?
Dont even think about it moreover, you will be charged for MURDER because our Laws does not recognise such "mercy-less" killing.
And if you escape the Govt, you will not escape God's Judgement for killing a living being, no matter how paralysed that being is.

We dont have enough information about his condition, to be able to make useful suggestion that might improve his situation, l have seen a few completely paralysed people regain their motor-control, gently over time.

Can he recognise those around him?
It appears he can eat (otherwise he wont survive that long).
Do you exercise his limbs/muscles regularly?
Was the Paralysis from an Accident to the Backbone or other reasons like BP, Stress, etc?
Have you tried Alternative Medicine?
Do you have siblings that can help out occasionaly?

Your Mum wanting to Opt out is typical of most Black Women, their loyalty cannot be relied upon extensively.
I am certain that if she opted out and, say after a few years, the Man become better and won a Lottery, she would come back and claim "I am his Wife".
angry undecided
You will marry one day and realise Women are all the same, even though Men like to delude themselves that their own is different.

Please keep trying, there are blessings attached to what you are doing, which you might not be aware of.
Each time you bath and feed your Father, though he might not be able to talk, his soul is offering prayers for you (and it will be a curse if you kill him or abandon him, as your Mum wanst to do) and this sort of prayer are like "gum", they stick.

Later in Life, you will remeber and reflect the statement l made above.

We will all be praying for you, that God will give you strength, courage and the means to overcome all challenges that this Care for your Dad, poses to you.
Dont give Up on him, our Faith are sealed the day we were born. You will laugh last.

Guy you f*cked up with that bolded statement, absolutely senseless.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by iyandaoluwaoba: 11:23pm On Oct 05, 2021
Hmmmm. Had to log in. Guy... There’s what we call spiritual Uthanasia. My dad did it for our granddad when he wanted to die. People that transited to the beyond without going through pains or much pains are lucky. They are Gods choosen. You shd ease him of his pain spiritually. He will go when his spirit is released. Naturally.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by cardoctor(m): 11:32pm On Oct 05, 2021
Na me u dey ask?
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by AbujaCitiBlog: 11:36pm On Oct 05, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

May your own children euthanize you, otondo
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Timoleon(m): 11:41pm On Oct 05, 2021
It has to be from the right side?
onojaford:

Your dad is better dead! I understand you are conflicted because you are an empathetic person. But scientifically, you punish your dad every moment you leave him alive in his condition. Healthy people murder themselves in the face of some foreseen travails, talk more of a man who has been deep in travails.

If your dad could still speak, he would have requested euthanasia himself long ago.

Personally, if I have a miserable, terminal disease, the types known for putting people through pain and misery, I will simply shoot myself straight in the head from the right side of my temple.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by jojothaiv(m): 11:43pm On Oct 05, 2021
My daddy say he got it in his prostate
When I went to see him, he had lost weight
Trying to find the words in a lost state, of mind
Pictures on the wall that remind
Me of the times that we once had
Had to take my daughter to see granddad
Pop, pop, nothing's impossible, you never been logical
I know what doctor's do, I know what God can do
Abdominal pain, hard to explain
For you to get better, it starts in your brain
Life ain't a game, the fight it remains, dance in the rain
When it first came, I was like damn
Then I start thinkin', then I start praying
Spirits went up, count went down
You gon' live forever, how you living now
Fighter, definition of a rider
Got all that ishh about you, with what you got inside ya
Cellphones and your lighters, put them things up higher
Even when you tired, you keep me inspired
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Wetpuxy: 11:47pm On Oct 05, 2021
Ogbeni take it easy on him

Clearly this guy is depressed and needs all the advice he can get

If you haven't been depressed before you wouldn't under what he's passing through

Depression kills bro
AbujaCitiBlog:

May your own children euthanize you, otondo
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by mastermaestro(m): 11:49pm On Oct 05, 2021
sirjoggy:
Please don't try it bro, it can create a generation curse

I just quoted you to encourage you. Please ignore those who are throwing abuses over your statement of truth. Stay blessed! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by DrDunamis(m): 11:58pm On Oct 05, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

Kindly register your dad for the Healing Streams with Pastor Chris scheduled to hold this month from 29th to 31st. Register using this link: https://healingstreams.tv/3days/online_reg.php?r=LWNZH
Note that everything is free, just only make read a laptop, phone or television with which you'll connect your dad to the program and expect a miracle.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Drella(m): 11:59pm On Oct 05, 2021
maureensylvia:
Lemme pee, I'm coming
Alright, I'm back grin

No matter what, he's your loving father.. his seed brought you into this world. The mercy death on this is unjustifiable.

It's true it hurts, but you have to carry the cross.. it has its own blessings.. believe me.

Try and take care of him but KNOW your limit.. don't spend much on him but take care of him.

Even if he dies on the long run, you won't feel guilty.. you will feel fulfilled that you tried your best.

Encourage your maale, nwanyi Ibem!!! She must have seen alot to the extent of giving the thought of running away.
If you can, get a nanny that can take care of your Dad.

Don't do something stupid
Read it again

Cheers
This too will pass kiss

Meanwhile Nairalanders check out my signature for affordable Agro commodities from north

I so much love your profile picture.

But try post no make up pics too tongue
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Timoleon(m): 12:16am On Oct 06, 2021
It’s sad that all the stories that have been shared on this very thread to dissuade the notion of mercy killing or Euthanasia have all ended in death and rather an argument for the very necessity of that euthanasia. It will all end in death. Why go through all of the trauma, the pain, mental, physical, emotional and of course financial exhaustion (not that this family has not tried, 12 years is no jokes)There is no light at the end of this tunnel, just death. The sooner the better.
DenreleDave:

So what's the essence if he later died.. Wife waited for notin

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Nobody: 12:24am On Oct 06, 2021
Malibe:

I'm not even sure if this story is true or not.

This is him after I changed his pampers,bathe him,fed him and gave him drugs and put him to bed...you think I am catching cruise undecided and no I am not seeking for financial help

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by enemyofprogress: 12:39am On Oct 06, 2021
Do unto others what you want them to do unto you
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by enemyofprogress: 12:41am On Oct 06, 2021
Drella:

I so much love your profile picture.

But try post no make up pics too tongue
you’re a brostitute, ashawo
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by drphantom: 1:01am On Oct 06, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

I understand what you are going through and can imagine your struggle.

However, as a physician in Nigeria, I have to draw certain things to your attention.

1. Euthanasia can only ethically be carried out at the request of the patient (your father) not you the caregiver.
2. You, unilaterally deciding to end his life, even if he is suffering is not euthanasia. It is murder.
3. Euthanasia is not legal in Nigeria.

Please talk to your doctor about depression but I would recommend caution in discussing what you posted above, lest you be accused of killing your father if he passes on.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by chiedu7: 1:17am On Oct 06, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by vickydevoka(m): 1:19am On Oct 06, 2021
sirjoggy:
Please don't try it bro, it can create a generation curse
Hausa Muslims do
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by oxypressPlus: 1:20am On Oct 06, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

For 12 years you have not done the right thing for your father.

Now you want some accomplice to support your plan? Olorun maje.

The correct treatment for your dad should be hyperbaric oxygen therapy -hbot and not all those things you have being deceived to undertake.

You wasted all your time, energy, and resources. Oga sorry for all the troubles.

Your father needed oxygen for healing of brain tissues. The damage is in the brain and not in the paralised muscles or stomach or blood etc.

Your dad can still get up and walk if you do the right thing. Let me stop here bros.

We are HBOT PROVIDERS in Port Harcourt.

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by brunxy(m): 1:33am On Oct 06, 2021
Your name says it all..Omorotiomwan. please don't change it to a curse with your actions. Let God and nature play things out their own way..Hang on bro. God is your strength. I also graduated from engineering faculty uniben 2011. So I understand how those evil lecturers are.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Daboomb: 1:41am On Oct 06, 2021
Joshuazedd:
Stroke is irreversible. A damage don to the brain can never be reversed. You can only maximize the functioning parts through some therapies. Don't spend too much if it's that bad. Do the little you can till he passes on. Euthanasia is no legal in Nigeria

You cant be more wrong!

Any damage to any part of the body is reversible.

Go and Read about Stem Cell Engineering

Ignorance is never, Bliss.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by NaBanga: 1:41am On Oct 06, 2021
Hire an in home caregiver and pay the person. Most of the hospital treatments will no longer work for his recovery, so don't waste any additional money. He needs palliative care. Because it's Nigeria, just focus on basic life care and pain medication. Any doctor or pastor promising you a miracle, is just wasting your time and money.

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Daboomb: 2:03am On Oct 06, 2021
:
psalmistkakah:
So sorry 4 dat, my dad own was 4 good 8 years, b4 he died 2 years ago.. I know how it is moving him from one place to another, although my dad do sit up and eat, but he cannot move around, he poo, urinate on the same spot.. we do bring doctors to the house to check on him, he was fat, so carrying him na big work.. when it wod have cost moving him from home to hospital he gave up... May be he doesn't want us to pass Tru such stress... Never think of killing him cos it will hurt you for the rest of life.. When my dad died I blame myself that I didn't do enough to keep him alive . Allow the right to come for him to rest..No try am it will affect you psychologically...his taught will keep troubling you...I know wat am saying...

Most Children dont know what it means, for their Parent to Pray for them (or Curse them!), till the point of death.
It probably has the greatest effect on a Child's life, till he or she dies.
Your Father's prayers is helping you but you may not even be aware of it.

Dont blame yourself, IF you did everything humanly possible for him, God sees your heart....... except if you could have done more and you refused to do it.

Any Child that kills his/her Parents will certainly never have Peace of Mind till they themself die, that is certain.

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Daboomb: 2:08am On Oct 06, 2021
NaBanga:
Hire an in home caregiver and pay the person. Most of the hospital treatments will no longer work for his recovery, so don't waste any additional money. He needs palliative care. Because it's Nigeria, just focus on basic life care and pain medication. Any doctor or pastor promising you a miracle, is just wasting your time and money.

You are Right.
All he needs now, based on the environment, is close, almost 24hrs Attention/Care and mybe some Vitamin tablets.

A young Boy, under close monitoring as well (because this generation is naturally wicked), should be employed to look after his basic needs like bathing, defecating, feeding, exercising in the Sun, keeping his Bed Clean and neat, etc while they just supervise his duties and oay him handsomely.
An extended family member would have been best but nowadays, TRUST is defecient in most Nigerians, including family members and even the younger one.
CAUTION is the Word.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by aijazNija: 2:08am On Oct 06, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

Although it has been years. You may consider this, I am not an expert! but this have worked for me (you may wish to confirm the first 3 on list below from a medical doctor.
1. Get a BP apparatus (check his bp always). I guess by now you the medicine that controls his BP well.

2. Perhaps aspirin to ensure he doesn't get stroke again.

3. Physiotherapy is still important (hot water massage).

4. Give your him warm water always.

5. Blend ginger and garlic (add warm water and give him) at least twice a day after meal.

Stand by ur mum, she is a strong woman, make her understand why you all should be more patient. Administer all of the above with love. Your dad may, at least be independent in short while. (let me know what you think about these, we can talk more)

May God bless you.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Nobody: 2:30am On Oct 06, 2021

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Task Force Closes Bars, Clubs And Restaurants In Anambra Over Coronavirus / Nigeria's Roadside Eye Doctor Performs Operations Under Lagos Bridge. Shocking! / Chinese Man Gets Stung In His Dick By Stingray While Swimming (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.