Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,137 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:43 AM

Should I Euthanize My Dad? - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should I Euthanize My Dad? (41996 Views)

Help - My Dad Just Had A Stroke / Help My Dad Has Severe Stomach Pains / I'm In An Extreme End, Im Losing My Dad! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by SonofGod231: 9:02pm On Oct 05, 2021
You are only feeling helpless and frustrated
but Please have compassion and allow the suffering old man die a natural death.
Remember,God can take control and change every situation.

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Eriokanmi: 9:02pm On Oct 05, 2021
PotatoSalad:

Nigerians and attacks. Nobody is attacking you.
The prayers they've been saying since is what? Grace before meal? undecided
You know nothing about life. Smh!

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by psalmistkakah(m): 9:03pm On Oct 05, 2021
So sorry 4 dat, my dad own was 4 good 8 years, b4 he died 2 years ago.. I know how it is moving him from one place to another, although my dad do sit up and eat, but he cannot move around, he poo, urinate on the same spot.. we do bring doctors to the house to check on him, he was fat, so carrying him na big work.. when it wod have cost moving him from home to hospital he gave up... May be he doesn't want us to pass Tru such stress... Never think of killing him cos it will hurt you for the rest of life.. When my dad died I blame myself that I didn't do enough to keep him alive . Allow the right to come for him to rest..No try am it will affect you psychologically...his taught will keep troubling you...I know wat am saying...
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Crofton: 9:03pm On Oct 05, 2021
Kobojunkie:
So, it hasn't occurred to you that the reason this man still lives is because the Most High allows it? undecided

Same way the most high allows hundreds of ritualists, kidnappers and murderers to live ?

Get a hold of yourself .

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Freedom34: 9:03pm On Oct 05, 2021
Chai, I feel ur pain, but I will come from a very different angle.
Killing (murder) na killing whether dem call am 1st degree o, 2nd degree o abi na 'PhD' degree murder or euthanasia, and Baba God don talk say "thou shalt not kill".

My only concern be d man spiritual condition/eternal destination: is he born again? Has he accepted Christ? If not, if dt man die now if u kee d man now, na hell straight e dey go o, ehn-ehn.

I pray God makes a way for ur family in Jesus name, Amen!

Omorotionmwann:
It has been 12years now since my dad has been down with Stroke which has affected his speech,his right hand and leg and some 4years ago,he couldn't walk anymore but had to be carried to sleep,sit and all physical metabolism is done where he is,even after I and my mum have spent and still spends a lot on physiotherapy,speech therapy,brain checkups at Mecure oshodi,routine and forthnight high blood pressure checkups with expensive drugs and still no changes but it gets worse,all done going around in taxi as I have no car.....

I was 18 and in 200level in a federal uni with him and my mum my only support system when all of this started,couldn't concentrate and focus on school work anymore as I am the firstborn of a 7 boys family and my attention was always needed.....Mum told me I need to drop out that she can't afford all of this alone but I was strong hearted and determined to graduate with a B.Eng...

I had issues with my lecturers as my attendance were poor and my course adviser said it to my face that I would never graduate but I never told them about my travails or they wouldn't even believe me anyways cos they were mostly SADIST,All Engineering lecturers in Uniben especially Mechanical/PRODUCTION ENGINEERING from 08/09 upward,OGUN KILL ALL OF UNA!!! Life was tough for me and my Mum....

Now that I am a Man and supposed to be focus on my life future and raising a family but this is still taking a toll on me emotionally,financially,mentally and I will come home to my mum nagging,crying that she has tried enough over the years and i might come home one day and she has left ....THIS BREAKS ME,I AM TIRED,I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO....I LOVE MY DAD,HE IS IN PAINS TOO!!!

IF I COULD SEE THE FUTURE BACK THEN WHEN IT STARTED,I WOULD HAVE ASKED THE DOCTORS FOR MERCY DEATH,DO NIGERIAN DOCTORS OR HOSPITALS GIVE OUT MERCY DEATH TO PATIENTS?

NAIRALANDERS,I AM DEPRESSED AND I NEED YOUR ADVICE

sorry for the long post. Mods please help this thread to front page for more advice
[center][/center]
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Kobojunkie: 9:04pm On Oct 05, 2021
TWLifestyle:
religion has truly damaged mamy of you people s thinking faculties . Thete is no gayher who would wamt his child yo sacrifice his life - with no end in sight just so he can continue life in the state the op described! Even the father is suffering- so whatd the point ?
You have been in his father's condition yourself to know this for a fact? undecided

It is up to the family what they will chose to do, not mine. undecided
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by micflo28(m): 9:04pm On Oct 05, 2021
Kill him and inherit his properties, wives and concubines.

Sorry I was referring to a movie
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by prinxel(m): 9:04pm On Oct 05, 2021
So sorry bro...
Please don't do it. There's a faithful God who still answers prayers...
If you want him to be healed do this...
Join Apst. Joshua Selman @Koinonia live broadcast on YouTube on Sunday from 5pm...
Just turned it on and make sure your dad watch the prayer session live.
Distance is not a barrier just watch how God is going to touch replace his malfunctioning parts with spare parts from heaven. This i believe will work for you.
God bless you
Omorotionmwann:
It has been 12years now since my dad has been down with Stroke which has affected his speech,his right hand and leg and some 4years ago,he couldn't walk anymore but had to be carried to sleep,sit and all physical metabolism is done where he is,even after I and my mum have spent and still spends a lot on physiotherapy,speech therapy,brain checkups at Mecure oshodi,routine and forthnight high blood pressure checkups with expensive drugs and still no changes but it gets worse,all done going around in taxi as I have no car.....

I was 18 and in 200level in a federal uni with him and my mum my only support system when all of this started,couldn't concentrate and focus on school work anymore as I am the firstborn of a 7 boys family and my attention was always needed.....Mum told me I need to drop out that she can't afford all of this alone but I was strong hearted and determined to graduate with a B.Eng...

I had issues with my lecturers as my attendance were poor and my course adviser said it to my face that I would never graduate but I never told them about my travails or they wouldn't even believe me anyways cos they were mostly SADIST,All Engineering lecturers in Uniben especially Mechanical/PRODUCTION ENGINEERING from 08/09 upward,OGUN KILL ALL OF UNA!!! Life was tough for me and my Mum....

Now that I am a Man and supposed to be focus on my life future and raising a family but this is still taking a toll on me emotionally,financially,mentally and I will come home to my mum nagging,crying that she has tried enough over the years and i might come home one day and she has left ....THIS BREAKS ME,I AM TIRED,I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO....I LOVE MY DAD,HE IS IN PAINS TOO!!!

IF I COULD SEE THE FUTURE BACK THEN WHEN IT STARTED,I WOULD HAVE ASKED THE DOCTORS FOR MERCY DEATH,DO NIGERIAN DOCTORS OR HOSPITALS GIVE OUT MERCY DEATH TO PATIENTS?

sorry for the long post. Mods please help this thread to front page for more advice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by oxygeng: 9:04pm On Oct 05, 2021
Oh boy, I can feel your pain. This is far more than a crossed road. I don't even have the will power to stop you from doing what you have suggested because I know exactly how you feel; but I am quite sure God is not stupid. I will advise you keep pushing since your dad has not given up on his situation. Just let God's will be done. May God help you.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by 1Sharon(f): 9:06pm On Oct 05, 2021
Daboomb:
[s]Stroke is Paralysis in the Nervous System.
As bad as it is, your Dad is not in Pain, only that he cant move his limbs or do al those things that require 'control".
Where then is thi s "My father is in pain" coming from?

I agree that it can be very [/s][s]challenging and exhausting, even frustrating, to care for someone invalid btu it can happen to anybody, including YOU![/s]

[s]Will YOU want your Life snuffed out by the Child you sired and raised to University level, just because you cant move or help yourself?
Dont even think about it moreover, you will be charged for MURDER[/s] because our Laws does not recognise such "mercy-less" killing.
[s]And if you escape the Govt, you will not escape God's Judgement for killing a living being, no matter how paralysed that being is.

We dont have enough information about his condition, to be able to make useful suggestion that might improve his situation, l have seen a few completely paralysed people regain their motor-control, gently over time.
[/s]
[s]Can he recognise those around him?
It appears he can eat (otherwise he wont survive that long).
Do you exercise his limbs/muscles regularly?
Was the Paralysis from an Accident to the Backbone or other reasons like BP, Stress, etc?
Have you tried Alternative Medicine?
Do you have siblings that can help out occasionaly?

Your Mum wanting to Opt out is typical of most Black Women, their loyalty cannot be relied upon extensively.
I am certain that if she opted out and, say after a few years, the Man become better and won a Lottery, she would come back and claim "I am his Wife". angry undecided
You will marry one day and realise Women are all the same, even though Men like to delude themselves that their own is different.

Please keep trying, there are blessings attached to what you are doing, which you might not be aware of.
Each time you bath and feed your Father, though he might not be able to talk, his soul is offering prayers for you (and it will be a curse if you kill him or abandon him, as your Mum wanst to do) and this sort of prayer are like "gum", they stick.

Later in Life, you will remeber and reflect the statement l made above.

We will all be praying for you, that God will give you strength, courage and the means to overcome all challenges that this Care for your Dad, poses to you.
Dont give Up on him, our Faith are sealed the day we were born. You will laugh last[/s].

Since when did Nigerians ever care about what the law recognises?

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Oktane: 9:06pm On Oct 05, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

A lot of questions here, perhaps you should attempt an introspection.

Why your dad?

Why is your mum the partner in this case?

And why you as the first son in the matter? And of course together with your travails at UNiBEN?

Everything will be much clearer if you are objectively guided to the justifications of this circumstance.

This clarity will bear the truth which will in turn unburden you in totality.

Finally, it may appear really bad but trust me there are worse scenarios.

These are just my thoughts drawn f on personal experience.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Cogs(m): 9:07pm On Oct 05, 2021
There is a Healing program coming up later this month, please give it a try by faith and your Dad will be strong again.

Visit the site healingstreams . tv

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Nonexisting1: 9:07pm On Oct 05, 2021
Bola146:
So sorry, please don't kill him. Continue praying for him, God will help you out.
Nonsense. Haven't they prayed enough? Brother, ask the old man for his opinion and if he sanctions it, go ahead and help him rest.

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by busar(m): 9:07pm On Oct 05, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

I feel your pain.. It had happened to my dad on two different occasions but it was well managed as sheer butter was used to massage his mouth (and he ate it too), and his mouth came back to normal... And there is one man in Ondo that he was taken to (I didn't go there with) afterwards, he specializes in strokes but he is damn expensive.. We paid 500k for the right hand... He is walking by himself now and engages in daily exercise...
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Psoul(m): 9:08pm On Oct 05, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

It might be a difficult situation. Applying mercy death will give you temporary relief, but I bet you, you'll, at long run, feel guilty. You may not forgive yourself. If anything goes wrong in your life, you'll be thinking that it might be the consequence of the killing. You'll be so confused in your life.

What if it's you that is sick, do you think your parents will think of killing you? I don't think they will. Be courageous and take care of him wt all your heart. Your father will bless you. Don't add to his pains by telling him bad words.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by nurain150(m): 9:08pm On Oct 05, 2021
SportsHD:

Religion is damaging your mentality. The dad has been in that state for 12 years now. I'm sure no one would want that for himself. Not being able to talk or do anything yourself.

Drop all emotional sentiments here, think logically. Imagine the peace of mind he and the mom would have, coupled with the amount they'll save not going back and forth to the hospital.

If it were my family member, lord knows he would have been in the ground by now.
It's better for him to be at peace in heaven than to be suffering here In life.
A man woke up from comma 40 years after ?
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Hyphy(m): 9:10pm On Oct 05, 2021
sirjoggy:
Please don't try it bro, it can create a generation curse

Africa sha. I wonder where this our superstition has really helped us to achieve. Isn’t it same Africa that used to kill twins (on the instructions of the gods)?

The poor man should be put out of his misery (my opinion anyways)

2 Likes

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by confydoedowaye(m): 9:10pm On Oct 05, 2021
Men suffer a lot... I bet if it is your mother, you won't think of euthenasia... May he recover and enjoy the fruit of his labor years past... May his sacrifices, pains, and tears never be in vain.... God will heal him.....
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by aidameoryou: 9:11pm On Oct 05, 2021
Obaxxx:
lipsrsealed
Someone said it'd bring generational curses upon the op's family...So the pains and agony that it has been bringing upon the op and his mom has been a generational blessing abi? undecided

If we tell una say religion and politics na the two things wey dey kill black people mentality,una no dey believe..

Sometimes make una dey use una head undecided

no mind all these mumu wey full here.
tell them now to contribute monthly for the upkeep so that the stress would be less on the guy, and see them all dodge their head.
even the man himself will tell you people to go ahead with your plans, but some delusional people will be yarning dust here.

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by PotatoSalad(m): 9:12pm On Oct 05, 2021
Eriokanmi:
You know nothing about life. Smh!
Oga Methuselah, change your mindset and you'll live a stress free life. Sorry, try make money, because it's only the poor folks that always shout Attack attack. When you start making decent money, your perspective on life starts to change.
There are hundreds of ways one can get stroke, and there's nothing like attack there.
Anyway na wetin you believe. If you believe in the so called attacks, you'll eventually become a victim.
A boy in my area almost died from Edema cos he swallowed an effervescent tablet cos he thought it was sweets. People were shouting attack, I blamed it on loose parenting. You don't leave such things around little children.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by CyberWolf: 9:12pm On Oct 05, 2021
OP I have been there and I know the cost, forget all these people that are telling you not to do that, they can't even spend a month in that situation let alone 12 years. Consider euthanasia as an option but discuss with your mom, siblings and extended families regarding this situation. Anyone that opposes it, let them come and be taking care of him as you've been doing for the past 12 years before you clock 40 years without any bearing in life.

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by NoSentiment: 9:12pm On Oct 05, 2021
As a muslim, bro my advise to u is to persevere with this trial and you will see blessings in your life. I leave u with this:

“Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or more attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honor. And out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say, “my Lord! bestow on them Thy Mercy, even as they cherished me in childhood.” Q17v23-24

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by elantraceey(f): 9:13pm On Oct 05, 2021
Daboomb:
Stroke is Paralysis in the Nervous System.
As bad as it is, your Dad is not in Pain, only that he cant move his limbs or do al those things that require 'control".
Where then is thi s "My father is in pain" coming from?

I agree that it can be very challenging and exhausting, even frustrating, to care for someone invalid btu it can happen to anybody, including YOU!

Will YOU want your Life snuffed out by the Child you sired and raised to University level, just because you cant move or help yourself?
Dont even think about it moreover, you will be charged for MURDER because our Laws does not recognise such "mercy-less" killing.
And if you escape the Govt, you will not escape God's Judgement for killing a living being, no matter how paralysed that being is.

We dont have enough information about his condition, to be able to make useful suggestion that might improve his situation, l have seen a few completely paralysed people regain their motor-control, gently over time.

Can he recognise those around him?
It appears he can eat (otherwise he wont survive that long).
Do you exercise his limbs/muscles regularly?
Was the Paralysis from an Accident to the Backbone or other reasons like BP, Stress, etc?
Have you tried Alternative Medicine?
Do you have siblings that can help out occasionaly?

Your Mum wanting to Opt out is typical of most Black Women, their loyalty cannot be relied upon extensively.
I am certain that if she opted out and, say after a few years, the Man become better and won a Lottery, she would come back and claim "I am his Wife". angry undecided
You will marry one day and realise Women are all the same, even though Men like to delude themselves that their own is different.

Please keep trying, there are blessings attached to what you are doing, which you might not be aware of.
Each time you bath and feed your Father, though he might not be able to talk, his soul is offering prayers for you (and it will be a curse if you kill him or abandon him, as your Mum wanst to do) and this sort of prayer are like "gum", they stick.

Later in Life, you will remeber and reflect the statement l made above.

We will all be praying for you, that God will give you strength, courage and the means to overcome all challenges that this Care for your Dad, poses to you.
Dont give Up on him, our Faith are sealed the day we were born. You will laugh last.

You're a wicked human being. A woman has been faithfully taking care of an invalid man for 12 whole years and you don't think it's natural and human for her to feel mentally, physically, psycologically and emotionally exhausted and what she probably needs is some ray of hope and encouragement but instead you throw your usual women jabbing at her. What a man!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Malibe: 9:14pm On Oct 05, 2021
frozen70:

At this stage, you have to discuss with every member of your family if mercy death will be an option

Whatever the family agrees on is what you guys will accept

It's a hard decision but, what else?

Are you OK? What are you saying? How could you advice that he suggest to his Family members that he want to kill his father, that he is seeking their support to kill his father. Habaaa! Mr. Advicer fear God!
And to whom that is seeking advice, the thought of killing your father is evil, demonic and unGodly. No matter how difficult things is for you and ur family, just do the little you can and present the once you can't to God. The thought of you killing him or ur Mum abandoning him doesn't sound nice to the ear. Let me remind you; You are fulfilling your essence as a Child, just set your mind straight and take care of the unfortunate man.
I'm not even sure if this story is true or not.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by alfredbisong: 9:14pm On Oct 05, 2021
it's really devastating bro, but keep hope alive i would have advice you to pray but it's not really easy for prayers to be answered o
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Kobojunkie: 9:15pm On Oct 05, 2021
Crofton:
Same way the most high allows hundreds of ritualists, kidnappers and murderers to live ?
Get a hold of yourself .
Ofcourse! Why? undecided

You expect the Most High to kill off those you don't like or what? You think your life more valuable than theirs? undecided
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Skinnygee1: 9:16pm On Oct 05, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

Thank you for this,the doctors wouldn't even attend to us if a particular tests or drugs were not done or bought and they are so expensive

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Kobojunkie: 9:17pm On Oct 05, 2021
Evince:
no most high allowed anything. Science is keeping him alive once they quit drug supply he will be in more pain and die so the best is to euthanize him just like my mum wrote in her will saying should sickness bedrid her, that we should do the needful instead of suffering her and spending funds of which she will still die. So OP you guys are subjecting ur dad to more pain. Do the needful and let him rest. Such is life no matter the amount of love.
OP never said the man is on any life support system. Learn to read. undecided
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by elantraceey(f): 9:17pm On Oct 05, 2021
Op, I have a good friend who's in your exact shoes and I completely understand what it is you're going through but my advice is for you to preserve and get someone now to relief your mum from those work before she'll break down completely and you'll have two cases in your hands.

Be strong and don't take his life expect he asks you to. You can try going traditional for him, saves cost and works sometimes.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Ajoself(m): 9:18pm On Oct 05, 2021
Dear OP,
Sorry for your ordeal. It's pitiable.
Stroke is a neurological disease. Most doctors here are not good in neurological science.
So I recommend reading this book to find therapy that can help him there.
Norman Doidge- The brain that changes itself
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by AfroKnight: 9:18pm On Oct 05, 2021
As advanced as humans are we still have a long way to go. Stroke and cancer need cures. I wish I had the means to fund research in those areas. Humans should die of old age not disease.

This breaks my heart.

Omorotionmwann, I have a friend whose dad has been managing stroke for about 12 years too. It’s not as serious as this though. My friend has spent mad money on his dad. It has been so tough, but tries to remain positive. He also goes for personal check up and lives healthy.

As you manage your dad’s condition, also watch your own health too. Even though it may be hereditary, you can escape it.

Euthanasia is FINAL. Once you do it you can’t reverse it. His condition is not final. Where there is life, there is hope.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Task Force Closes Bars, Clubs And Restaurants In Anambra Over Coronavirus / Nigeria's Roadside Eye Doctor Performs Operations Under Lagos Bridge. Shocking! / Chinese Man Gets Stung In His Dick By Stingray While Swimming (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.