Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,749 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

URGENT - In State Of Delimma - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / URGENT - In State Of Delimma (17969 Views)

Difficulty Upgrading Certificate In State Civil Service / Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic / Poor State Of Police Barracks Around Nigeria (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by house10s: 1:56pm On Oct 06, 2021
mignone:
I really don't know which is best for u bt Since ur uncle doesn't have a problem with accommodating u like u said, what happened to staying there if plan A or B is the way? I say this cos renting an apartment will likely gulp abt half of ur savings.

simple stick to ur job getting more salary rent an apartment mini flat.

gather more money buy keke or mini bus give it for daily payment.

start life d end
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Amtrak: 1:58pm On Oct 06, 2021
My guy, na C sure pass o.

If you can, do everything within your power to leave this country within the next 18 months.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by socialmediaman: 1:58pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:
Please, I need your advice because right now I'm confused about where to go, it's a lifelong decision.

I just turned 34 last month, still living with my uncle, but no pressure on his part is a big house. Currently, I teach in a school where my net salary and my home lesson inclusive are approx. N 100000 a month. I have a master's degree in engineering, so I haven't put that certificate to use. I have a saving of 900k, it will be higher by December. Although it would have been more than that, I lost 400,000 to the detriment of a bad investment. Last two years, I had an illness that struck (ENT related), which doesn't have a cure. One of the symptoms is vertigo (a sensation of feeling off-balance). This made me change my mind about travelling. For a few months now, I haven't had the experience.

I have three thoughts, but I can only do one at a time.

Firstly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Use the rest of the money to start a business as a side hustle while working with the school.

Secondly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Next, I invest my time in a tech skill (web dev, programming or data science).

Thirdly, travel to the US for my PhD program. I have already been preparing for my GRE before now.

Thank you.

OP keep saving and give yourself another year or two. Learn to manage your finances better and don't invest what you can't afford to lose on a high risk investment. Keep working on that PhD program, try US and Canada, you may be lucky to get a scholarship. Maybe you will also get a job and better medical care for the condition when you travel. Also, start applying to jobs abroad with sponsorships. There are stories of people traveling everyday with work visa, many opportunities are abroad, for example, the truck drivers in the UK due to the fuel shortage.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by wunmi590(m): 1:59pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:
Please, I need your advice because right now I'm confused about where to go, it's a lifelong decision.

I just turned 34 last month, still living with my uncle, but no pressure on his part is a big house. Currently, I teach in a school where my net salary and my home lesson inclusive are approx. N 100000 a month. I have a master's degree in engineering, so I haven't put that certificate to use. I have a saving of 900k, it will be higher by December. Although it would have been more than that, I lost 400,000 to the detriment of a bad investment. Last two years, I had an illness that struck (ENT related), which doesn't have a cure. One of the symptoms is vertigo (a sensation of feeling off-balance). This made me change my mind about travelling. For a few months now, I haven't had the experience.

Firstly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Use the rest of the money to start a business as a side hustle while working with the school.

Secondly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Next, I invest my time in a tech skill (web dev, programming or data science).

Thirdly, travel to the US for my PhD program. I have already been preparing for my GRE before now.

Thank you.

If you can endure, please the third option is best...

It might not be the US, Canada is also there for scholarship...

Nigeria is not the present place to invest, I won't lie to you, except you are a millionaire

1 Like

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by flexypoka(m): 2:00pm On Oct 06, 2021
Continue with your current job ,rent small apartment that won't let use almost all your salary for house rent, continue with your savings until u find legit business or buy land. U know u are not getting Younger anymore ,even if your uncle didn't trouble his wife or somebody close him will surely come with it as embarrassment somebody. If wish to go to abroad and study further, it's a good idea, but remember no good easy pay job in Nigeria now, unless you have a good connection, I mean networks ... So the decision is urs
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Ilovelife4sure: 2:00pm On Oct 06, 2021
bouncin04:
Damn, serious dilemma indeed, I will say travelling is the best option, only if the Americans won't deny you visa, but don't quit your job until your have secured your visa . Still wondering a good business 900k can set up in present day Nigeria and at the same time keeping that funds in the bank is completely not advisable considering the current inflation rate .

Just pray to what ever you believe in cry
OP listen to this advice.

1 Like

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by uzoexcel(m): 2:01pm On Oct 06, 2021
Dilemma or dilemna

bouncin04:
Damn, serious dilemma indeed, I will say travelling is the best option, only if the Americans won't deny you visa, but don't quit your job until your have secured your visa . Still wondering a good business 900k can set up in present day Nigeria and at the same time keeping that funds in the bank is completely not advisable considering the current inflation rate .

Just pray to what ever you believe in cry
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by FRANKOSKI(m): 2:04pm On Oct 06, 2021
Rent a shop and start selling things that are not available in your Area WITH POS.
TELL UR UNCLE AND WATCH HIS ATITTUDE B4 U START OO because HE MIGHT NOT THINK U HAVE SUCH MONEY undecided
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Eleken: 2:04pm On Oct 06, 2021
1Honeto:
SINGLE TWO ODD AVAILABLE. DON'T MISS IT.
PAYMENT AFTER WINNING.
STAKE 50K AND WIN #100,000
STAKE 100K AND WIN #200,000
WHATS-APP;
0 8 1 7 9 1 4 6 0 3 4

Op avoid this guys grin
Don't tempt yourself... for double wahala
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by DWJOBScom(m): 2:05pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

If you were in shoes which will you opt for. I think I'm too old staying with my uncle. It is depriving me of having a serious relationship, no lady is going to take a man who doesn't have his apartment. That's not the issue though, I'm more concerned about my financial situation.

Oga leave no lady matter out o
If your uncle is not screaming stay there and get something worth it.
You can think of a lady when you are okay with your current situation (income and current job) then na marriage you want, then move out and get a apartment but make sure your lady is working and truly loves you o
I cannot come and be reading another long thread here
If you have the means, go for your PHD and get that big score.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by emstyne(m): 2:05pm On Oct 06, 2021
Honestly go for option 3 if you can afford and follow through…the best thing that can happen to you in your state.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Skillsnigeria: 2:06pm On Oct 06, 2021
Hmmm, follow the one you like
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by DWJOBScom(m): 2:08pm On Oct 06, 2021
truthCoder:
don't get an apartment.

stay with your uncle since he is not asking you to leave nor is he giving you issues.

you were able to save 900k because you were staying with him. once you leave, you might find out that the cost of independence alone will swallow the 900k. Ordinary bed, sofa, tv, gas cooker, generator and rent will swallow everything.

There are wonderful girls who would date you for who you are and not where you stay. She can always visit you at your uncle's place and when you want to do 'an-chu-chu' with her, you can always get an hotel room. If she cant date you because you don't have an apartment, she is not your girl.

vertigo can be treated. don't lose hope. If you get to USA, you might find out that na one small calcium lump self dey inside your ear or one small surgery wey dem no go even admit you.

a friend suffered heart palpitations for years in Nigeria which affected everything. When she went to Dubai, na so dem treat her and she is now 100% back to normal.

try to learn programming. get a good laptop, learn during break time and when you get back home. Dont quit your job o. 100k per month in this Buhari economy....many would kill to have that.

don't sacrifice what you have for what you don't.

cheers

If I had seen your feed , I wouldn't ve given mine

Well said

1 Like

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Dimanene: 2:09pm On Oct 06, 2021
Stay back in your uncle's house, give it 1-2 more years there. While at that, get the tech skills, find way leave the country. Don't leave the job yet, unless you're staying back in Nigeria, yet startup the business you want to do
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by OJEEMAH(m): 2:10pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

Thank you.

Bro, while working on your plan, open a domiciliary account. Convert your 900k savings to dollars and make a deposit. Truth is, dollar won't decline below the current exchange rate but there's a high probability it will keep rising. If it does go up, you are going to make much more than the 900k and if it doesn't, you have absolutely nothing to lose. Its risky to keep saving in naira considering the unpredictable and unstable nature of the country's economy.

1 Like

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Gaddafi1: 2:10pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

Thank you.

My dear if you have an opportunity to do a Phd in USA, dont play with it at all. ENT health issue will be properly taken care of, also the trust God and believe for the best.

1 Like

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by VillageHead: 2:11pm On Oct 06, 2021
Son,

I have few pieces of advice for you,

1. PhD in the US with the sum you have saved times two won't get you anywhere. Factor school fees, visa, and cash you suppose to have at hand. Do you have anyone to support you?

2. Don't trivialize the accommodation you enjoy from your uncle for a relationship till you are ready financially. You are old enough to go into a relationship - your uncle and his household know this. Go about your relationship with wisdom, moderation, decency, and decorum. Let the lady know you are starting low, share your plans about the future with her. If she loves you, she would stick with you. Any lady that leaves you because you are staying with your uncle at the moment even after you have given her an insight about your plans for the future is never meant to be with you.

3. If you are business inclined you can give it a shot while retaining your teaching job till you get a better offer.

4. Learning technological skills as you mentioned is equally good for a side hustle. You can work even from the comfort of your home.

When things gets better tomorrow you can leave and marry.

3 Likes

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by owagbeba: 2:12pm On Oct 06, 2021
mignone:
I really don't know which is best for u bt Since ur uncle doesn't have a problem with accommodating u like u said, what happened to staying there if plan A or B is the way? I say this cos renting an apartment will likely gulp abt half of ur savings.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by tampadollarsign(m): 2:13pm On Oct 06, 2021
She only you have naira have you thot of dollar currency
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by SirLakes: 2:13pm On Oct 06, 2021
Please leave this nonsense country if you can
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Gerrard59(m): 2:13pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

If you were in shoes which will you opt for. I think I'm too old staying with my uncle. It is depriving me of having a serious relationship, no lady is going to take a man who doesn't have his apartment. That's not the issue though, I'm more concerned about my financial situation.

What is it with you people and marriage when you aren't financially stable?! angry

Write the damn GRE, apply for a PhD program (all of which are funded) and get the fvck out of Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Fatherfamous: 2:15pm On Oct 06, 2021
Since your uncle does not have a problem with you staying at his house .keep staying there . And invest your money in a good investment that you understand.

Because house rent is very expensive now.

1 Like

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by owagbeba: 2:15pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

Thank you.

Bro, please go for PHD.... please do what you can to get admission and funding. Don’t relent. I repeat, Don’t relent! Nigeria is not an easy place for a startup company. Business environment is very unfriendly.

With recent increase in Customs duty, Forex rate, Freight charges to Nigeria, High inflation looming.

Go for PHD

PS:
Avoid marriage for now till you achieve the dream.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Gerrard59(m): 2:15pm On Oct 06, 2021
VillageHead:
Son,

I have few pieces of advice for you,

1. PhD in the US with the sum you have saved times two won't get you anywhere. Factor school fees, visa, and cash you suppose to have at hand. Do you have anyone to support you?

When things gets better tomorrow you can leave and marry.

No school in the US admits someone into a PhD program without funding the person. OP will not pay tuition but will be paid a stipend (fellowships, teaching assistantships or research assistantships). OP can even marry and take his wife along to the US.

Again, I reiterate, he won't pay a Kobo or cent as a PhD student in the US.

2 Likes

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Ejiyke24(m): 2:16pm On Oct 06, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Make I grab my weed and read comments quietly because he be like say this issue big pass me

But me know say deep down in Ogbeni op mind.....woman matter still dey but him nor Green add am join....him nor dey fit carry woman wella for him uncle house.....

If not I see no reason why him dey emphasize on the renting of Apartment
...two out of the three options is emphasizing on getting apartments...

Haha Ogbeni dey miss steady kpekus....
Hahaha ur wahala is 3much
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by owagbeba: 2:18pm On Oct 06, 2021
Gerrard59:

What is it with you people and marriage when you aren't financially stable?! angry

Write the damn GRE, apply for a PhD program (all of which are funded) and get the fvck out of Nigeria!

Thank you so much...

it’s just damn funny the way folks here think.

Marriage and child care will drain that 900k in a flash. Then financial stress will doom the marriage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Gerrard59(m): 2:19pm On Oct 06, 2021
obamartins:
Stay in ur uncles' and build your funds for PhD. PhD ain't cheap, except u land a scholarship. Gather money, leave relationship, that shit is more expensive to maintain than a Mercedes Benz GLK.

A PhD in the US is fully funded. He won't pay tuition fees.

1 Like

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Gandollaar(f): 2:20pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

Baba, remain with your uncle and save more money. Buy a land and start building.

Or, you can remain with your uncle and invest part of your savings into a side hustle. You can look for what's trending in shoes or watches or computers, power banks etc, buy a few and advertise them real good online. It could be excotic dishes and chinawares. You may not stock up these, but you could have a direct contact that can ship within few days of your order.

After these, you can consider getting your own place and marrying your hearthrob, assuming you didn't build your own house already.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by rita25(f): 2:20pm On Oct 06, 2021
IDIOT U WAN DEY STRAF ANYHOW...UR UNCLE HOUSE NO ALLOW YOU.
ambr055i:

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Pzpropertylimit(m): 2:22pm On Oct 06, 2021
Move out of ur uncle's house , and invest ur money on ur self development idea plan B. And run with ur life
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 06, 2021
obamartins:
Stay in ur uncles' and build your funds for PhD. PhD ain't cheap, except u land a scholarship. Gather money, leave relationship, that shit is more expensive to maintain than a Mercedes Benz GLK.

grin grin
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Gerrard59(m): 2:22pm On Oct 06, 2021
owagbeba:

Thank you so much...

it’s just damn funny the way folks here think.

Marriage and child care will drain that 900k in a flash. Then financial stress will doom the marriage.

That's how they perpetuate themselves in multidimensional poverty. If young and ambitious Southern Nigerians know what's coming in the next few years, they will find every means to flee Nigeria. Let alone someone who is working on being admitted into a PhD program.

A man close to 40 years in the world's poverty capital earning $200 monthly (inflation and devaluation) is thinking of marriage?! God! Why are some people so effortlessly stup!d?!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Relying On A Single Source Of Income Is Bad / Now That You’ve Received Your January Salary, What Next? / Has Your Boss In The Office Ever Approached You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.