Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,070 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:53 AM

URGENT - In State Of Delimma - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / URGENT - In State Of Delimma (17962 Views)

Difficulty Upgrading Certificate In State Civil Service / Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic / Poor State Of Police Barracks Around Nigeria (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Nyanabo(m): 3:50pm On Oct 06, 2021
truthCoder:
don't get an apartment.

stay with your uncle since he is not asking you to leave nor is he giving you issues.

you were able to save 900k because you were staying with him. once you leave, you might find out that the cost of independence alone will swallow the 900k. Ordinary bed, sofa, tv, gas cooker, generator and rent will swallow everything.

There are wonderful girls who would date you for who you are and not where you stay. She can always visit you at your uncle's place and when you want to do 'an-chu-chu' with her, you can always get an hotel room. If she cant date you because you don't have an apartment, she is not your girl.

vertigo can be treated. don't lose hope. If you get to USA, you might find out that na one small calcium lump self dey inside your ear or one small surgery wey dem no go even admit you.

a friend suffered heart palpitations for years in Nigeria which affected everything. When she went to Dubai, na so dem treat her and she is now 100% back to normal.

try to learn programming. get a good laptop, learn during break time and when you get back home. Dont quit your job o. 100k per month in this Buhari economy....many would kill to have that.

don't sacrifice what you have for what you don't.

cheers

Op this guy has something valuable for you, listen to him. Especially his ending statement.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by dosuu: 4:10pm On Oct 06, 2021
If you're going PhD
There some schools that do not require GRE
Like Mississippi state university and University of Maine.
You check the school you're interested admission requirements to be doubling sure.

1 Like

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Uniquekriss(m): 4:14pm On Oct 06, 2021
My brother please rent an apartment and leave your uncle. People love free things alot, I know it's cheaper for you staying there buh there's this part of life that you need to experience which u won't experience while there, thank God u were able to save 9hk, though I don't know d part of the country u are buh I'm sure with 5hk u should be able to get an apartment and furnish it a little to a manageable level, use the remaining 4hk to start a side hustle while still doing your 100k worth of job, is it 900k u wanna use to process visa and leave for the US? Don't come and waste your time and money except u have a legit sponsor, u should also think of settling down, at 34 if u be first son your mama don dey call your name for Shiloh, take your time to look for a girl who is reasonable and ready to manage with you buh definitely not in your uncle's house,e get wetin person dey big pass na, c'mon, there's this pride/joy associated with being in your own apartment even if na 1room face me I face you.

1 Like

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Nnatuu: 4:17pm On Oct 06, 2021
In order of priority…

First, gain a skill.
Reason - it’s a lifetime investment with minimal risk and opens more opportunities to network and grow.

Second. Start a side business with small capital. Especially what you can manage effectively alongside your job.
Reason- it’s an investment with some risk but can open up doors of independence for you.

Third: Go for PHD. This is good but be sure to deeply inspect what you expect here. PHD abroad is good but critically evaluate how much funds you have to pursue both the visa processing and all. Be careful a bout situations where you e come halfway and the entire ups and downs of visa processing gulps your 900k or even more, and visa is not guaranteed.

DON’TS

1. Get a house.
Reason, it’s NOT an investment! It takes money not give. being very honest with you, 900k will not be enough to rent a house with key properties. And leave you some money to live with.

For a girlfriend and living independently, put that on hold until you have enough resources to handle that. Any woman who does not accept you the way you are will never accept you, they can only accept your money when you’re rich but not you.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Killermamba: 4:30pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:
Please, I need your advice because right now I'm confused about where to go, it's a lifelong decision.

I just turned 34 last month, still living with my uncle, but no pressure on his part is a big house. Currently, I teach in a school where my net salary and my home lesson inclusive are approx. N 100000 a month. I have a master's degree in engineering, so I haven't put that certificate to use. I have a saving of 900k, it will be higher by December. Although it would have been more than that, I lost 400,000 to the detriment of a bad investment. Last two years, I had an illness that struck (ENT related), which doesn't have a cure. One of the symptoms is vertigo (a sensation of feeling off-balance). This made me change my mind about travelling. For a few months now, I haven't had the experience.

I have three thoughts, but I can only do one at a time.

Firstly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Use the rest of the money to start a business as a side hustle while working with the school.

Secondly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Next, I invest my time in a tech skill (web dev, programming or data science).

Thirdly, travel to the US for my PhD program. I have already been preparing for my GRE before now.

Thank you.

Third
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by SweetDipBenny(m): 5:16pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:
Please, I need your advice because right now I'm confused about where to go, it's a lifelong decision.

I just turned 34 last month, still living with my uncle, but no pressure on his part is a big house. Currently, I teach in a school where my net salary and my home lesson inclusive are approx. N 100000 a month. I have a master's degree in engineering, so I haven't put that certificate to use. I have a saving of 900k, it will be higher by December. Although it would have been more than that, I lost 400,000 to the detriment of a bad investment. Last two years, I had an illness that struck (ENT related), which doesn't have a cure. One of the symptoms is vertigo (a sensation of feeling off-balance). This made me change my mind about travelling. For a few months now, I haven't had the experience.

Firstly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Use the rest of the money to start a business as a side hustle while working with the school.

Secondly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Next, I invest my time in a tech skill (web dev, programming or data science).

Thirdly, travel to the US for my PhD program. I have already been preparing for my GRE before now.

Thank you.

Travel out
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by rhektor(m): 5:21pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

Thank you.

What is Delimma? Are Ronaldo Delimma? Dilemma is not Delimma
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by solonubinho(m): 5:46pm On Oct 06, 2021
OP its Dilemma not Delimma. Abi you wan turn Ronaldo Delima? Lol

Anyways, in order of usefulness- option 3 first then option 2.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by idu1(m): 5:50pm On Oct 06, 2021
If some of us get uncle wey we dey his house. All these money wey i dey dash landlords i go know the things wey i fit take am do.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by mignone(f): 5:52pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

If you were in shoes which will you opt for. I think I'm too old staying with my uncle. It is depriving me of having a serious relationship, no lady is going to take a man who doesn't have his apartment. That's not the issue though, I'm more concerned about my financial situation.
Well, u may likely not share my sentiments as I make life choices nt by mere human rational reasoning alone.
Y I thought in dt direction.
Well, I still think u may start up something (if that's your choice) without getting an apartment from your savings. So after sm reasonable turnover, u then will be able to comfortably get dt apartment without being financially stranded.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by JayPeeOham: 6:06pm On Oct 06, 2021
PENNYSWAP:
you still Dey ordinary state of delimma and you are making noise, what of those that are in the country of delimma nko

Omo I just LOLed after reading this!! grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by wizi4tyn: 6:27pm On Oct 06, 2021
project8:
Y not stay in your uncle's house, build yourself from there. If a lady truly loves you she can follow you anywhere and can endure your situation after all it's not permanent. Except if you have other reasons y you would want to move out. Ohh and the PhD ? 2million is too small to run a PhD here in Nigeria talk more of going to a foreign country with less than or even a million naira

There's multiple scholarship options outside undecided
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 6:48pm On Oct 06, 2021
saddler:
undecided

You have got nice plans mate. I will advise you to go with last idea if you can follow through wih the requirements.

Please leave this shit hole of a country if you can. Even if na Ghana your money carry you reach, just escape this contraption called Nigeria.

Dont get an apartment because the next thing that will come to your mind is settling down.

Another advise is to never allow all these broke Nigerian girls come near you, they are a distraction and liability packaged in their body-revealing outfits.

Thanks bro, actually when it comes to the ladies I'm well experienced. Can't really fall for it. I'm not really desperate for a woman just that all my paddy are all getting married, I'm not even in a serious relationship.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 6:49pm On Oct 06, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Make I grab my weed and read comments quietly because he be like say this issue big pass me

But me know say deep down in Ogbeni op mind.....woman matter still dey but him nor Green add am join....him nor dey fit carry woman wella for him uncle house.....

If not I see no reason why him dey emphasize on the renting of Apartment
...two out of the three options is emphasizing on getting apartments...

Haha Ogbeni dey miss steady kpekus....

Not really bro, I have my fair share women. Some things get old. Person just have to face life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 6:50pm On Oct 06, 2021
truthCoder:
don't get an apartment.

stay with your uncle since he is not asking you to leave nor is he giving you issues.

you were able to save 900k because you were staying with him. once you leave, you might find out that the cost of independence alone will swallow the 900k. Ordinary bed, sofa, tv, gas cooker, generator and rent will swallow everything.

There are wonderful girls who would date you for who you are and not where you stay. She can always visit you at your uncle's place and when you want to do 'an-chu-chu' with her, you can always get an hotel room. If she cant date you because you don't have an apartment, she is not your girl.

vertigo can be treated. don't lose hope. If you get to USA, you might find out that na one small calcium lump self dey inside your ear or one small surgery wey dem no go even admit you.

a friend suffered heart palpitations for years in Nigeria which affected everything. When she went to Dubai, na so dem treat her and she is now 100% back to normal.

try to learn programming. get a good laptop, learn during break time and when you get back home. Dont quit your job o. 100k per month in this Buhari economy....many would kill to have that.

cheers

Thanks bro.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 6:51pm On Oct 06, 2021
Jobia:
Delimma ko Chidimma ni

It was a typo. Check the time it was posted.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 6:52pm On Oct 06, 2021
ybalogs:
Are you not planning to settle down??

I am wanted get married before I turn 35, but looking at the third option it won't be possible.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 6:53pm On Oct 06, 2021
ybalogs:
Are you not planning to settle down??

I was looking at marriage before I turn 35, but looking at the third option it won't be possible.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 6:56pm On Oct 06, 2021
project8:
Y does not stay in your uncle's house, build yourself from there. If a lady truly loves you she can follow you anywhere and can endure your situation after all it's not permanent. Except if you have other reasons y you would want to move out. Ohh and the Ph.D.? 2million is too small to run a PhD here in Nigeria talk more of going to a foreign country with less than or even a million naira

900k is more than enough, I have a family friend that got to the US with less than 600k.
I'm looking at a full scholarship and Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant. I just need to ace my GRE.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Mypeople2(m): 7:05pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

If you were in shoes which will you opt for. I think I'm too old staying with my uncle. It is depriving me of having a serious relationship, no lady is going to take a man who doesn't have his apartment. That's not the issue though, I'm more concerned about my financial situation.
My guy forget about any lady now.If you are moving out of your uncle's house because you want to have a relationship with lady, then you should rethink. I will prefer you plan and travel out for your PHD to a country you can work when you graduate
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 7:05pm On Oct 06, 2021
Today007:
As a lady, I left home at 25. By the time I was 28, I had so much experience with the responsibility that settling down was no longer a challenge.
Leave and go stay on your own. Experiment first, role play with relationships and your siblings. I started with one room and grew to become bigger with hard work, avoiding distraction, and minding my business. I nor do pass myself. Be courageous cos this is your life.

I have been on alone right from my university days and even during service I rented an apartment I had planned on staying back. Unfortunately, my roomie who I thought was friend to emptied my account on passing out parade day and absconded to Lagos. After a job search for a while, I decided to go for my master going from my uncle's house to save accommodation costs, that's how I ended up here till now.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 7:06pm On Oct 06, 2021
Akalia:
900k is too meager a sum for running a doctorate degree in the states. I suggest you still stay put at your uncle's place and save up some more doh to get a place of your own and start a viable business.

Not really bro, I'm looking at US. Full scholarship and RA or TA positions.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 7:09pm On Oct 06, 2021
Eleken:

Op avoid this guys grin
Don't tempt yourself... for double wahala

Lol, Nah me go teach am work sef
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 7:13pm On Oct 06, 2021
truthCoder:
don't get an apartment.

try to learn to program. get a good laptop, learn during break time and when you get back home. Dont quit your job o. 100k per month in this Buhari economy....many would kill to have that.

cheers

Thanks, bro, I have a laptop already. I'm not planning to quit my job for now though.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ibinaboonline: 7:15pm On Oct 06, 2021
If you have a sure plug to travel to the USA for your GRE, that's my best option for you. If you're struggling with tinnitus, you're better off in the States than here. Life should only move forward from there.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 7:20pm On Oct 06, 2021
Gerrard59:

No school in the US admits someone into a Ph.D. program without funding the person. OP will not pay tuition but will be paid a stipend (fellowships, teaching assistantships, or research assistantships). OP can even marry and take his wife along to the US.

Again, I reiterate, he won't pay a Kobo or cent as a Ph.D. student in the US.

Exactly, I keep wondering why people think it wouldn't be enough. I have a friend who didn't spend a dime except for the processing fee.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 7:21pm On Oct 06, 2021
rita25:
IDIOT U WAN DEY STRAF ANYHOW...UR UNCLE HOUSE NO ALLOW YOU.

Baba if Nah straffing marra, I don run am tire back in the days.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 7:26pm On Oct 06, 2021
gabicon:

You have a BEng and MEng that you haven't used, what is the guarantee that the Ph.D. you will use it? I mean stop leaving in the past, today's world is all about results and solving problems and not gathering degrees. You need to understand that the present education system we run has outlived itself, it was designed for the industrial revolution which was characterized by mass production, to mass-produce goods you need to mass-produce people, that's why we take the same test or we are categorized by a grading system but the real world is categorized by results. The education system relevant in today's world is rather bespoke, the number one sought-after skill today is how creatively can one solve problems. It will shock you that youtube is a better university than most of the universities in the country because with youtube I can learn to solve problems and get paid for it.

You need to go through the journey of self-discovery, what are you gifted in? what are you passionate about? This is where your breakthrough lies, the beauty of the whole thing is that there are free tests you can do online to know your gifts.
Go do these tests or ask people close to you what they think you are good at, tie your gifts to a skill of the future and start working on learning the skill, join professional bodies and forums that offer the skill.

As for your accommodation, I will advise you to give yourself say 2 years to find your gift and master it in form of a skill. So create a 2 year plan with a timeline and milestones, remember only discipline will make you follow through with your plan. The reason I ask you to stay is because of stability, at your uncle's place you don't have to think about rent, food, utilities, etc. secondly learning and mastering a skill will involve so financial commitment.

God bless you and see you at the top

The reason for the Phd (US) isn't because I want to get a degree but is the cheapest way out of the country when looking at the likes of UK, Canada, and Australia
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by adaleng(f): 7:26pm On Oct 06, 2021
So i had to google Vertigo and it does have different cures. it all depends on what the cause of it. And you can get better health care when you leave this country.
900k might look like alot of money to you until you rent an apartment and you will see how quickly ur account goes down. you were able to save because you had free accommodation and NO GIRLFRIEND. Trust me once you have this 2, kiss saving goodbye.
so i'd suggest you 4get about renting a house and a girl for now. Altho there are girls who can date you even if you don't have your own accommodation.she can even support your dream. Go for such ladies.
Secondly, apply for scholarship for your Phd programme outside the country cos ur 900k wont cover o. Then learning the skill you talked of is a great idea. secure your future and you will see girls running after you.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 7:30pm On Oct 06, 2021
remmyton:
My opinion
Don’t leave your uncle's house for now. Pursue your Ph.D. outside the country
I will attach a link below, go through it thoroughly and find free tuition universities in Germany taught in English
Search more on other options
That 900k is not a lot of money in this current economy
So, I suggest you shouldn’t go for an apartment now

https://www.study-in-germany.de/en/plan-your-studies/find-programme-and-university/

I have about 7 course mates who are in Germany currently doing their master. I'm conversant with the process, the issue is the block account.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by ambr055i: 7:37pm On Oct 06, 2021
Nnatuu:
In order of priority…

First, gain a skill.
Reason - it’s a lifetime investment with minimal risk and opens more opportunities to network and grow.

Second. Start a side business with small capital. Especially what you can manage effectively alongside your job.
Reason- it’s an investment with some risk but can open up doors of independence for you.

Third: Go for PHD. This is good but be sure to deeply inspect what you expect here. PHD abroad is good but critically evaluate how much funds you have to pursue both the visa processing and all. Be careful a bout situations where you e come halfway and the entire ups and downs of visa processing gulps your 900k or even more, and visa is not guaranteed.

DON’TS

1. Get a house.
Reason, it’s NOT an investment! It takes money not give. being very honest with you, 900k will not be enough to rent a house with key properties. And leave you some money to live with.

For a girlfriend and living independently, put that on hold until you have enough resources to handle that. Any woman who does not accept you the way you are will never accept you, they can only accept your money when you’re rich but not you.

This is what I'm scared of, what if after pursuing the whole school thing and it doesn't pull through. Though, I have this belief I will scale through on the first trial.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Iliveforever(m): 8:42pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

Thank you.

I’ll advice you to go with the third, because there’s no point of leaving his house and still rent an apartment in Nigeria.
Stick with the third

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Relying On A Single Source Of Income Is Bad / Has Your Boss In The Office Ever Approached You? / Now That You’ve Received Your January Salary, What Next?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.