Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,843 members, 7,956,170 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:42 AM

URGENT - In State Of Delimma - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / URGENT - In State Of Delimma (18175 Views)

Difficulty Upgrading Certificate In State Civil Service / Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic / Poor State Of Police Barracks Around Nigeria (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by blank(f): 9:50pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:
Please, I need your advice because right now I'm confused about where to go, it's a lifelong decision.

I just turned 34 last month, still living with my uncle, but no pressure on his part is a big house. Currently, I teach in a school where my net salary and my home lesson inclusive are approx. N 100000 a month. I have a master's degree in engineering, so I haven't put that certificate to use. I have a saving of 900k, it will be higher by December. Although it would have been more than that, I lost 400,000 to the detriment of a bad investment. Last two years, I had an illness that struck (ENT related), which doesn't have a cure. One of the symptoms is vertigo (a sensation of feeling off-balance). This made me change my mind about travelling. For a few months now, I haven't had the experience.

I have three thoughts, but I can only do one at a time.

Firstly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Use the rest of the money to start a business as a side hustle while working with the school.

Secondly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Next, I invest my time in a tech skill (web dev, programming or data science).

Thirdly, travel to the US for my PhD program. I have already been preparing for my GRE before now.

Thank you.

If your uncle is okay with it, please stay with him and save more. Look for another masters in US or Canada (or apply for PR to Canada) and then start learning to be a Business Systems Auditor. You will never regret it.

1 Like

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Poleski: 1:15am On Oct 07, 2021
ambr055i:
Please, I need your advice because right now I'm confused about where to go, it's a lifelong decision.

I just turned 34 last month, still living with my uncle, but no pressure on his part is a big house. Currently, I teach in a school where my net salary and my home lesson inclusive are approx. N 100000 a month. I have a master's degree in engineering, so I haven't put that certificate to use. I have a saving of 900k, it will be higher by December. Although it would have been more than that, I lost 400,000 to the detriment of a bad investment. Last two years, I had an illness that struck (ENT related), which doesn't have a cure. One of the symptoms is vertigo (a sensation of feeling off-balance). This made me change my mind about travelling. For a few months now, I haven't had the experience.

Firstly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Use the rest of the money to start a business as a side hustle while working with the school.

Secondly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Next, I invest my time in a tech skill (web dev, programming or data science).

Thirdly, travel to the US for my PhD program. I have already been preparing for my GRE before now.

Thank you.

Go for your PhD in U.S. You may get a better there when you finish.

But if you choose 1 or 2, don't leave your uncle's house until you're financially comfortable to get your apartment because if you leave prematurely, the rent will take almost half of your savings.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Dvea(f): 2:18am On Oct 07, 2021
ambr055i:

Thank you.

Here is my opinon

Business is good o, But na battle. The juju and the competition and the negativity and the Nigeria itself, if you dont have a good grounding and a lot of perseverance, the business will crash finish.

Learning a skill takes time and it's not a today job. It's good but it will take time to gain the necessary experience and expertise.

Travelling overseas is fantastic but you are not financially in the best place except you are looking towards a scholarship. That's fine.

My advice. If you are staying in Nigeria, stay put in your uncle's place, woman should not be your issue now, except of course the woman is financial okay and she is willing to support you if you guys choose to move out together. Otherwise house rent is no joke and cost of everything in Nigeria is a nightmare even when two hands are working together. Going overseas is great but my dear in the words of my sister who came back from overseas cause of the pandemic, the number of Nigerians overseas begging is overwhelming. I dont know why everyone chooses USA and Canada. They have a lot of issues and it's going to pull you. UK sef is better, but I always recommend Europe preferably countries where English is not their first language. If you get the certificate they do here in Nigeria for foreign English teaching ... sorry I forgot the right name. If you get the certificate you can make it well in non English speaking countries. For one I know countries in Asia pay well for English teachers. The government offers tons of incentives and such and since you have teaching experience it will be easy to adjust. Most times you dont even need to learn their language immediately, I know china will first assign you to younger children and you will have a Chinese teacher to assist you in translation and such while you master their language. This is a good option incase ur degree stuff doesn't pan out as planned.

Anyway finally just sha pray and let God guide you. In the end he knows best. Good luck and I hope you can set your life right before you turn 35.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Fourwinds: 8:06am On Oct 07, 2021
Bodmum:
issorritte .
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by remmyton(f): 1:06pm On Oct 07, 2021
ambr055i:

I have about 7 course mates who are in Germany currently doing their master. I'm conversant with the process, the issue is the block account.

Yes, you are right, it’s not just enough to find the account
Anyways, I wish you the best in whatever decision you make

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Begins 14-day Paternity Leave For Civil Servants / Should "Menstrual Leave" Be Adopted In Nigeria? / Why Are ICAN Staff So Slow And Unprofessional?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.