Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,470 members, 7,819,718 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

URGENT - In State Of Delimma - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / URGENT - In State Of Delimma (17964 Views)

Difficulty Upgrading Certificate In State Civil Service / Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic / Poor State Of Police Barracks Around Nigeria (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 06, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Make I grab my weed and read comments quietly because he be like say this issue big pass me

But me know say deep down in Ogbeni op mind.....woman matter still dey but him nor Green add am join....him nor dey fit carry woman wella for him uncle house.....

If not I see no reason why him dey emphasize on the renting of Apartment
...two out of the three options is emphasizing on getting apartments...

Haha Ogbeni dey miss steady kpekus....

Igbeaux-labi grin grin
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Nobody: 2:24pm On Oct 06, 2021
Op, at age 34 pls get ur own house asap, i'm below 24 & im ashamed of living w my parents and i knw they wnt me t leave
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by CCC2(m): 2:24pm On Oct 06, 2021
Your 900k can not handle option 3 unless you have a sponsor. So lets leave 3 out.

I will advice option1 but with an amendment. Don't leave your uncles house yet if you still have the luxury and get a side hustle with the money. Not every business survives, so don't bank on the side hustle to leave the house. If the side hustle begins to take a progressive steps then you can leave the house cos going by ur age, u need a total independent life. May God order ur steps

1 Like

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Nobody: 2:24pm On Oct 06, 2021
Op, at age 34 pls get ur own house asap, at my age im ashamed of living w my parents and i knw they wnt me t leave
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by gabicon: 2:33pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:
Please, I need your advice because right now I'm confused about where to go, it's a lifelong decision.

I just turned 34 last month, still living with my uncle, but no pressure on his part is a big house. Currently, I teach in a school where my net salary and my home lesson inclusive are approx. N 100000 a month. I have a master's degree in engineering, so I haven't put that certificate to use. I have a saving of 900k, it will be higher by December. Although it would have been more than that, I lost 400,000 to the detriment of a bad investment. Last two years, I had an illness that struck (ENT related), which doesn't have a cure. One of the symptoms is vertigo (a sensation of feeling off-balance). This made me change my mind about travelling. For a few months now, I haven't had the experience.

I have three thoughts, but I can only do one at a time.

Firstly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Use the rest of the money to start a business as a side hustle while working with the school.

Secondly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Next, I invest my time in a tech skill (web dev, programming or data science).

Thirdly, travel to the US for my PhD program. I have already been preparing for my GRE before now.

Thank you.

You have a BEng and MEng that you haven't used, what is the guarantee that the Ph.D. you will use it? I mean stop leaving in the past, today's world is all about results and solving problems and not gathering degrees. You need to understand that the present education system we run has outlived itself, it was designed for the industrial revolution which was characterized by mass production, to mass-produce goods you need to mass-produce people, that's why we take the same test or we are categorized by a grading system but the real world is categorized by results. The education system relevant in today's world is rather bespoke, the number one sought-after skill today is how creatively can one solve problems. It will shock you that youtube is a better university than most of the universities in the country because with youtube I can learn to solve problems and get paid for it.

You need to go through the journey of self-discovery, what are you gifted in? what are you passionate about? This is where your breakthrough lies, the beauty of the whole thing is that there are free tests you can do online to know your gifts.
Go do these tests or ask people close to you what they think you are good at, tie your gifts to a skill of the future and start working on learning the skill, join professional bodies and forums that offer the skill.

As for your accommodation, I will advise you to give yourself say 2 years to find your gift and master it in form of a skill. So create a 2 year plan with a timeline and milestones, remember only discipline will make you follow through with your plan. The reason I ask you to stay is because of stability, at your uncle's place you don't have to think about rent, food, utilities, etc. secondly learning and mastering a skill will involve so financial commitment.

God bless you and see you at the top

2 Likes

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by okoroemeka(m): 2:33pm On Oct 06, 2021
Enoch07:
Leave dat house first.
I don't think it is a good idea to leave the house,the uncle is not disturbing him and the op is complaining about the house been a hindrance to his relationship,he is trying to save as much as possible and getting a house will take a big chunk out of his savings,plan and travel to the us or a better country were your talents will be appreciated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Kobojunkie: 2:34pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

Use the rest of the money to start a business as a side hustle while working with the school.

. [OR I invest my time in a tech skill (web dev, programming or data science)[/b].

Thirdly, travel to the US for my PhD program. I have already been preparing for my GRE before now.

Thank you.
A fourth option would be to stay in your uncles house and do any of the above in bold. undecided

Also, maybe you should hold off the idea of going to the U.S until you have passed the GRE and are certain of sponsorship which should include Healthcare benefits. undecided
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Oronto: 2:38pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

If you were in shoes which will you opt for. I think I'm too old staying with my uncle. It is depriving me of having a serious relationship, no lady is going to take a man who doesn't have his apartment. That's not the issue though, I'm more concerned about my financial situation.
I was still at my parents plc, while I was handling my biz. Bought a land and got married there, but moved out immediately after our wedding. So staying at your uncles plc cannot be a hindrance a productive relationship, women knows when a man determined. Its all determination and using your opportunity well.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by addexx: 2:42pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:
Please, I need your advice because right now I'm confused about where to go, it's a lifelong decision.

I just turned 34 last month, still living with my uncle, but no pressure on his part is a big house. Currently, I teach in a school where my net salary and my home lesson inclusive are approx. N 100000 a month. I have a master's degree in engineering, so I haven't put that certificate to use. I have a saving of 900k, it will be higher by December. Although it would have been more than that, I lost 400,000 to the detriment of a bad investment. Last two years, I had an illness that struck (ENT related), which doesn't have a cure. One of the symptoms is vertigo (a sensation of feeling off-balance). This made me change my mind about travelling. For a few months now, I haven't had the experience.

Firstly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Use the rest of the money to start a business as a side hustle while working with the school.

Secondly, leave my uncle's house, get an apartment. Next, I invest my time in a tech skill (web dev, programming or data science).

Thank you.

Go for the second option but stay at your uncle's. Since you are not under any pressure. When you start seeing results and start earning regularly, you can then opt out of the house. Paying rent is another kettle of fish. I don't really understand your reason for trying to get a PhD. You have just 900k and you wanna travel. Really shocked
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by charlito94(m): 2:43pm On Oct 06, 2021
You can actualy go for option 1 and 2 same time and resources
ambr055i:

Thank you.

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by faoogoke(m): 2:44pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

Thank you.

If with your Masters you dont have a job what makes you think you can have a job and a good one for that matter with your Phd.

Leaving in your uncles house is a leverage you can enjoy until you marry but while you are not yet married enjoy the privilege.

Commence whatever business you want to do while still living in your uncles house.

United States is not a easy place to live or work. Think thrice. The money for your travel to the U.S. can help with your business plan.

My best wishes.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by remmyton(f): 2:44pm On Oct 06, 2021
My opinion
Don’t leave your uncle house for now. Pursue your phd outside the country
I will attach a link below, go through it thoroughly and find free tuition universities in Germany taught in English
Search more on other options
That 900k is not a lot of money in this current economy
So, I suggest you shouldn’t go for an apartment now

https://www.study-in-germany.de/en/plan-your-studies/find-programme-and-university/
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by FuckAllTheMODs: 2:49pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

Thank you.

OP, irrespective of whatever you want to do, enjoy your stay in your uncles house while it last.
You said he doesn't have issues with your stay there.

Use that opportunity to make enough savings, start and grow your business to be able to withstand any expenses from you.
And if you want to travel out, hope you know 900k can't take you to US, except you have sponsors.

Reason it this way, let's say you spend 1000 daily if you stay alone, that will be 365k yearly. I'm only trying to be considerate because we all know 1000 is not sufficient for a proper daily living.
Your house rent 50k + 20k agent and agreement fees(i.e if you stay in an old face me I face you apartment.
That is roughly 450k yearly, some days you go receive visitors na, babe go come sleep for days etc, I no put electricity and water bill and some unexpected bills like when light spoil, pumping machine spoil etc.
All these are even more than half of your life savings.

Remember when you start a new business, you will need to minimise the expenses and maximise the profit, how will you do that when you stay on your own(which is likely to bring more expenses) during the business's early stage?

While not stay in his place and start something now when you have the odd in your favor.
Such opportunity of enjoying his full support won't come again once you leave his house or you're married.
This is the best time to maximize his support for you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by gasparpisciotta: 2:51pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

Thank you.

Go for your PhD in the US.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by rajiedreez: 2:53pm On Oct 06, 2021
If u want to go for plan a or b, its better you remain at your uncles place, because you have rest of mind there already and all these things you plan to do can only be achieved in a sane environment
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Psoul(m): 2:54pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

If you were in shoes which will you opt for. I think I'm too old staying with my uncle. It is depriving me of having a serious relationship, no lady is going to take a man who doesn't have his apartment. That's not the issue though, I'm more concerned about my financial situation.

If your main aim is building your financial base and getting more established, then, how serious or unserious women take you for still living wt ur uncle shouldn't bother you. Or are u unhappy that you don't have that 100% freedom to bring in women to the house as u wish.

If your uncle is not really disturbing you, then stay wt him and make more savings. When you achieve all these, you won't be the one worrying about women, rather, they will be flooding around u.
U were able to save money cos you have nt bn paying for house rent and probably have some free food.
It may be easy for you to pay the 1st house rent, but think of the subsequent ones. How can you pay?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by od501: 2:58pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

Thank you.

A fast one: learn an IT related skill, then save towards travelling out of the country. But such amount can still get you nice self contained apartment. But i must warn you, "never" consider marriage.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by saintnegroid(m): 3:02pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

is this what you consider as a problem right now? Would the same said lady accept you when you are not making it? My brother the option that guy gave you is the best right now. If any lady do not accept you like that let them leave. Focus on how to make it first. Start a Business with your money while still managing with your uncle. The business will give you your rent money.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by prinxwizard(m): 3:06pm On Oct 06, 2021
I understand how you feel about living with your uncle at 34. That doesn't feel nice, but life is never easy. I can't certainly point you towards any direction. But I will still advice you to stay with your uncle in cases of 1&2 as that will save cost while you find a way to put yourself together. On the 3rd option, I doubt if a million naira can comfortably get you to USA talk more of tuition expenses.
Good luck sire!
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by descarado: 3:10pm On Oct 06, 2021
Your savings is poor for studying abroad unless somebody will foot the bill.
Stay in your uncle's house and hustle.

The end is more money in pocket
Goodluck
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by deavicky(m): 3:13pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

Thank you.

remove number because 900k will not take u anywhere.
Stay in ur uncle home and start the side hustle till e mature before u leave. Except marriage is part of the hustle you are talking about.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by viktor556(m): 3:14pm On Oct 06, 2021
Most USA schools don't require GRE now. But you may write IELTS to bolster your chances.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by deavicky(m): 3:16pm On Oct 06, 2021
PENNYSWAP:
you still Dey ordinary state of delimma and you are making noise, what of those that are in the country of delimma nko
mad fellow u just made me laugh for the first time today after a frustrating work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by frozen70(f): 3:17pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

Thank you.

Travel out and go for your PhD, you never can tell where you will be after that program and how happy you will be staying abroad
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by FuckAllTheMODs: 3:18pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

I wanted to call you a mumu man but I won't because you need an advice not an insult.

Sometimes ago, I was once in that situation where I couldn't get a lady to visit me because I was living with my uncle, even when few of them wanted to come over.
To make it worse, I was living in my own apartment and I had a relationship before corona virus forced me to take some decisions.
I don't want to talk about how Konji dealt with me, it got to a point I almost sneak a girl in but I overcame that temptation.

I didn't allow that to distract me. I focused on my hustle.
Bro, focus on your life and hustle, when the money comes, babes go dey find you.

Today, babes dey everywhere but na me dey avoid them.
Some don even tell me face to face sey make I dey fvck them. Fine fine babes o.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Lari03r(m): 3:19pm On Oct 06, 2021
Guy, come close and listen to me.

Think carefully about what I am about to tell you.

How did you save 900k? This was possible because you were living with your uncle.

I will advise you to forget about starting a business at the moment.

Why did you think a business will help you?

Or why do you think a relationship is what you need at the moment?

Right now, your PhD is the best way to escape and build a better future.

If you do a cost analysis of moving out from your uncle's home, and then you add a business to it, you will probably get into debt while trying to accomplish these.

Keep saving, stay with your uncle, plan for your PhD and travel out of Nigeria.

Most likely, you can travel next year and by then you will be 35.

When you get to be the US, start a relationship there when you have gained financial stability and you have a clearer sense of your career prospects and progression.

Do not mess up your current situation by trying to do what others are doing.

Be yourself and follow your path until you find success.

1 Like

Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by Sugarcanepenis: 3:22pm On Oct 06, 2021
You get sense...
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by smallbigman: 3:23pm On Oct 06, 2021
Engr, Pls don't get confused go abroad for your Phd studies, disregard the idea of renting another apartment because your uncle is not chasing you away and that would be a total waste of money, abroad you'll find a better career and a better woman that's economically viable not this buy me this buy me that ladies that we have here.
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by arthurwillia(m): 3:24pm On Oct 06, 2021
ambr055i:

What concern you and serious relationship when you haven’t gotten yourself l?
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by mofotb: 3:46pm On Oct 06, 2021
Seek day face of God for divine direction. Cos when God lead everything goes as planned. Good luck.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: URGENT - In State Of Delimma by mofotb: 3:46pm On Oct 06, 2021
Seek the face of God for divine direction. Cos when God lead everything goes as planned. Good luck.[color=#990000][/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Relying On A Single Source Of Income Is Bad / Has Your Boss In The Office Ever Approached You? / Now That You’ve Received Your January Salary, What Next?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.