Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,666 members, 7,823,883 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? (1497 Views)

Is It Okay For My Two Brothers To Marry Women From The Same Family? / Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? / Is It Okay For My Mum To Send Money And Food To My Married Sister ?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by MufasaLion: 7:43pm On Oct 08, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

The flogging she gives her is regular disciplinary flogging. Her case is not like that of that woman that was arrested... its not that bad.

I'd just urge you to advice your mom to return her back to the village if she's not ready to change her bad attitudes. There are many kids out there that are willing to be raised by any guardian.

It's better to let her go and meet her parents because an outsider seeing your mom beat her would assume she's being maltreated always.
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Kobojunkie: 7:44pm On Oct 08, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

The flogging she gives her is regular disciplinary flogging. Her case is not like that of that woman that was arrested... its not that bad.
When you resort to flogging a child regularly it means you are absolutely doing something terribly wrong ! undecided
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by MufasaLion: 7:44pm On Oct 08, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

I'd just urge you to advice your mom to return her back to the village if she's not ready to change her bad attitudes. There are many kids out there that are willing to be raised by any guardian.

It's better to let her go and meet her parents because an outsider seeing your mom beat her would assume she's being maltreated always.

I am the type that hate unnecessary stress and shout. I detest beating also. I'd rather stay alone than have someone stress me.
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 08, 2021
U should flog ur househelp and chileren alike when they misbehave, depending on the gravity of offence they hav comitted an so far they are stil below 20 years of age.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Kobojunkie: 7:48pm On Oct 08, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
She is being fed enough. In fact the way she looked shen she first came and the way she looks now is very different because now she is well fed.
The fact that she steals food speaks volumes though. So,if you are unwilling to ensure she is well fed each meal, please send her back to her parents. undecided
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:53pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
How exactly do you judge what is enough for the gal? You simply put it in a bowl and conclude it is enough? undecided

Before i start putting i ask her to tell me when to stop and whenever she says its okay i stop
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:54pm On Oct 08, 2021
greenie77:
Can your mum be bold enough to hire an adult?

One of the 7 house helps stayed with us till adulthood
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:55pm On Oct 08, 2021
MufasaLion:

That's the thing... she beats her in secret now so no outsider, i believe, has ever seen her beating the girl.
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:56pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
When you resort to flogging a child regularly it means you are absolutely doing something terribly wrong ! undecided

My opinion exactly.. i don't like seeing the girl getting beaten
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:57pm On Oct 08, 2021
Collinsaik:
U should flog ur househelp and chileren alike when they misbehave, depending on the gravity of offence they hav comitted an so far they are stil below 20 years of age.

So you support floginf house helps. Why do you do so?
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:58pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kobojunkie:
The fact that she steals food speaks volumes though. So,if you are unwilling to ensure she is well fed each meal, please send her back to her parents. undecided

The stealing of food is something that happens once in a while o... its not very frequent
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Kobojunkie: 8:02pm On Oct 08, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Before i start putting i ask her to tell me when to stop and whenever she says its okay i stop
She is a stranger in his house. How can you expect her to be free in a house where she is flogged for existing? undecided
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Kobojunkie: 8:04pm On Oct 08, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
The stealing of food is something that happens once in a while o... its not very frequent
Even at that, look into it so she can stop resorting to stealing food. undecided
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 08, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

So you support floginf house helps. Why do you do so?
..becos i love them and want to see them grow into responsible adults and be useful to society so i flog when absolutely necessary. not just househelps but my own biological children,
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by MufasaLion: 9:01pm On Oct 08, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

That's the thing... she beats her in secret now so no outsider, i believe, has ever seen her beating the girl.

All right.
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Kobojunkie: 9:05pm On Oct 08, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
My opinion exactly.. i don't like seeing the girl getting beaten
Tell your mother that what she is doing is nothing short of evil. No 13/14 year old child deserves regular flogging. She needs to send the child back to her parents. undecided

If your mother does in fact need a household, then she should be willing to pay for professional service. Treating a child, this in 2021 for that matter, like a slave because your mother can get away with it is pure evil. undecided
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by frozen70(f): 9:27pm On Oct 08, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Good day my fellow nairalanders.

Ever since i was a baby, my family has always had a house help living with us (so far we've had 7 since the mid 90's till now).

One thing that has always been constant is my mother flogging the house helps when they misbehave (in her opinion).

My dad even told me that while i was still a kid my mum would frequently flog the house help that lived with us as at that time very early in the morning (and she was a little girl).

We currently have a househelp living with us. She should be about 13 or 14 years old. She was sent to us from the village. Before now my mum would flog her almost every morning early in the morning (some days i used to wake up to the sound of her flogging the girl). After we talked to her about it severally she reduced the amount of flogging. Right now she still flogs her when she misbehaves but not like before.

The girl in question has done many bad things in the past. Recently she stole my mother's phone and would use it to play games every night (when everyone in the house is asleep) this was during Christmas and she hid it for days. We searched for the phone and couldn't find it. My mum even called her bank to block her account thinking that it was stolen by an outsider. She later got caught playing a video game on the phone at night.

I was even suspected. They thought i had stolen the phone and sold it.

Another thing the girl does is steal meat and food from the pot. Recently she stole some beans and plantain from the pot while it was still boiling. She took some and put it in a nylon and my mum caught her with it (she didn't flog her though).

I personally don't think it is okay for my mum to be flogging another person's child even if the person is under her care and even if she does bad things. Sometimes she uses a standard cane, sometimes she slaps or knocks her, sometimes she uses whatever is in her hand at the moment.

I personally believe scolding her would suffice. I don't feel comfortable with her flogging someone else's child.

What do you guys think? Is it okay to flog your house help? Even when she misbehaves?

Well that's her own ways of handling a child who bevomes naughty

But to me, beating a child is not really a good idea

Such a child will have all sorts of scars in the body and it means she never took care of her

Best bet is to send her back to her parents before she collapses

Some people have sickness that are hidden in them and can lead to fainting of passing out
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Hismasterpiece(m): 8:31am On Oct 09, 2021
Collinsaik:
..becos i love them and want to see them grow into responsible adults and be useful to society so i flog when absolutely necessary. not just househelps but my own biological children,

Alright
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by oluwaseyi0: 12:47pm On Oct 09, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

She always has meat in her food and eats three times a day. I believe she picked up the habit from me, because i always take meat from the pot after eating and she sees me do it most times.

She goes to school during the week so she has enough playtime.

I didn't say she deserved to be flogged for stealing the phone, read again, i'm actually on her side.

How many times did your mum brutalize you for taking meat?
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Oct 09, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Before now my mum would flog her almost every morning early in the morning (some days i used to wake up to the sound of her flogging the girl).

Sometimes she uses a standard cane, sometimes she slaps or knocks her, sometimes she uses whatever is in her hand at the moment.

What do you guys think? Is it okay to flog your house help? Even when she misbehaves?
Abuse. All of these is unacceptable and is abuse. Your mom is abusing the poor child.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 1:09pm On Oct 09, 2021
Bornsinner7:
I always advice people even if it is kulikuli you can afford daily for your family.. manage the Kuli with your family rather than sending your kids to stay with someone that will make them regret the day they came into this world

Back to the topic..

After reading the script I couldn't help but pity the young girl.. imagine the op pointing out stealing of meat and stealing of phone to play game as a habit that was worth flogging..

Doesn't it mean this girl has been deprived of play time..?? Doesn't it mean she barely has meat in her meal?? For her to result into deeping her hand inside a hot pot just to have a taste of meat and stealing a phone just to play game at night when others are asleep.. hmm

May God deliver her from the family of the op..

For what's money without happiness?
Or hard times without the people you love? - j cole How many times were you flogged for taking meat from the pot??

You said the girl has done many bad things in the past Then you pointed out those habits.. it was an indication that those habits were bad enough to earn her strokes of the Cain.. meaning worth flogging
Nawa for you o! Where did op agreed to this your assumption of her being worthy of receiving lashes because of her bad habit? Op clearly defended the little girl and only stated her lapses which is normal of course.
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 1:14pm On Oct 09, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

I've talked to her about it severally. Infact she doesn't flog her like she used to before and that's because i've talked to her.

I still talk to her till now and she remains adamant about it saying that as long as the girl lives under her roof she has the right to flog her.
Were you flogged same way ?

For instance, my mom flogged us like we were terrorists while growing up. She flogged us so much, you’d never believe we could survive living with her lol but it was out of love.
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by bukatyne(f): 1:43pm On Oct 09, 2021
@Topic:

No straight forward answer.

I would have a problem with it IF the woman did not/wouldn't beat her own children for similar offenses.

If a woman dashed slaps to her kids while they were growing up, I would not be surprised she does same to her helps especially if she sees them as foster kids.

I would only point out other ways she can correct the maid and advise she sends her/him back if there is no meeting point.
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by cooooooks(m): 1:44pm On Oct 09, 2021
NEVER beat your househelp.

Treat her or him like family, else what you have is a slave.

Explain to your mom that NAPTIP is supposed to arrest her.

Hismasterpiece:
Good day my fellow nairalanders.

Ever since i was a baby, my family has always had a house help living with us (so far we've had 7 since the mid 90's till now).

One thing that has always been constant is my mother flogging the house helps when they misbehave (in her opinion).

My dad even told me that while i was still a kid my mum would frequently flog the house help that lived with us as at that time very early in the morning (and she was a little girl).

We currently have a househelp living with us. She should be about 13 or 14 years old. She was sent to us from the village. Before now my mum would flog her almost every morning early in the morning (some days i used to wake up to the sound of her flogging the girl). After we talked to her about it severally she reduced the amount of flogging. Right now she still flogs her when she misbehaves but not like before.

The girl in question has done many bad things in the past. Recently she stole my mother's phone and would use it to play games every night (when everyone in the house is asleep) this was during Christmas and she hid it for days. We searched for the phone and couldn't find it. My mum even called her bank to block her account thinking that it was stolen by an outsider. She later got caught playing a video game on the phone at night.

I was even suspected. They thought i had stolen the phone and sold it.

Another thing the girl does is steal meat and food from the pot. Recently she stole some beans and plantain from the pot while it was still boiling. She took some and put it in a nylon and my mum caught her with it (she didn't flog her though).

I personally don't think it is okay for my mum to be flogging another person's child even if the person is under her care and even if she does bad things. Sometimes she uses a standard cane, sometimes she slaps or knocks her, sometimes she uses whatever is in her hand at the moment.

I personally believe scolding her would suffice. I don't feel comfortable with her flogging someone else's child.

Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by descarado: 4:16pm On Oct 09, 2021
MufasaLion:

You're right also but some humans are naturally greedy and wicked. Recently, a very close friend of mine was narrating how their house maid did some terrible things meanwhile she was never beaten, nor maltreated. She had access to the kitchen, sitting room e.t.c.

She was just like a member of the family. During the BBNaija show she would watch it till midnight and was very free to do things. This is someone that they wanted to sponsor to the University. I must also say she had a well furnished room to herself (A.C inclusive).

See, some housemaid are just greedy, wicked and selfish.
So because she is a househelp, she can't watch BBN?
The children of the so called family are all Saint?
So because they want to sponsor her to university, she can't be human again who has errors?
Is that your friend perfect?
See pride and arrogance.

If that girl is her or his sis, child etc, he or she will first of all train that girl to behave well with patience but nay, get angry and tell whoever have ear that the house girl is greedy with nasty behaviour.

Why will you have househelp in the first place if not laziness and proud spirit.
Do anybody need husehelp in Nigeria to survive?

It's poverty and giving birth to many that make people send their kids away to become househelp

2 Likes

Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by kay9(m): 7:04pm On Oct 09, 2021
@OP,

Bro, the fact that you felt the need to ask if what your mother is doing is wrong indicates to me that deep down you already know that it is not right. No need for me to speak further.
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by MufasaLion: 9:39pm On Oct 09, 2021
descarado:

So because she is a househelp, she can't watch BBN?
The children of the so called family are all Saint?
So because they want to sponsor her to university, she can't be human again who has errors?
Is that your friend perfect?
See pride and arrogance.

If that girl is her or his sis, child etc, he or she will first of all train that girl to behave well with patience but nay, get angry and tell whoever have ear that the house girl is greedy with nasty behaviour.

Why will you have househelp in the first place if not laziness and proud spirit.
Do anybody need husehelp in Nigeria to survive?

It's poverty and giving birth to many that make people send their kids away to become househelp

Shut up and read to understand. She had the privilege becuase my friend family are not wicked and selfish. Most homes with housemaid are selfish and very wicked. Moreover, I don't need all these your bullshit.

The housemate was treated like a family and she finally stole money continuously, lied always and ended up running away to her boyfriend!

She was never denied her rights!
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 10, 2021
Kobojunkie:
How exactly do you judge what is enough for the gal? You simply put it in a bowl and conclude it is enough? undecided
Guy you people should shut it abeg,
Bunch of self righteous wannabis..

The only wrongdoing here is the frequency of the canning,
This young maid is obviously stubborn and has traces of greed which should be dealt with before she grows with it,

Stealing from the pot when she is well fed is greed common with kids of that age and should be handled even with flogging to ensure she doesn't grow with that trait of thievery,
Also how can a 13 year old knowing the pandemonium the loss of the phone she hid for days is causing,refuse to bring out but instead keeps it for herself,
That's selfish and a daring and stubborn mind,
She needs discipline .

Aside from that,she is well fed, schooled,housed ,clothed,

Mr Op..your mum is not and never a bad person,
She is doing the family of the girl a favour by taking her as her houshelp and not denying her food and appropriate discipline,at 13 she is till young and coporate discipline is in order, but say as from 15,it's best she sticks to worded advice,
Also it's not your must fault her parents are poor, it's obvious she is doing her best by not denying her the basic things of life, food, cloth, shelter, and Importantly EDUCATION..

Your parents are angels,
Don't mind these self righteous idiots who want to vilify your parent by all means...see if their own grandparents alone are in need of house assistance, they won't hesitate to find a maid for them...

Tell mummy to reduce the canning as she is becoming a teenager and can really take advice, aside from that Kudos to your parents...
Many great Africans if repute went through coporate punishement and turned out fine
@ Hismasterpiece
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by ImaIma1(f): 9:31am On Oct 10, 2021
I don't believe in beating them. I don't think I saw my mum beating the helps we had (whether family from the village or strangers).

The girl should be cautioned just as a family member should be cautioned. She should be fed well too.

Though, it just sounds wicked that someone would steal a phone and keep for days to play game while she knows the owner is looking for it. Or to steal food on the fire.

Some of these kids come with bath habits from where they are coming from that needs correction or send them back to their families.
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by weslay: 1:34pm On Oct 10, 2021
Did you grow up with your mum? Does she treat you or your siblings the same way when you guys misbehave?

If this treatment is melted out only on maids, then comma dey there.
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Hismasterpiece(m): 3:14pm On Oct 10, 2021
Chidorx60:

Guy you people should shut it abeg,
Bunch of self righteous wannabis..

The only wrongdoing here is the frequency of the canning,
This young maid is obviously stubborn and has traces of greed which should be dealt with before she grows with it,

Stealing from the pot when she is well fed is greed common with kids of that age and should be handled even with flogging to ensure she doesn't grow with that trait of thievery,
Also how can a 13 year old knowing the pandemonium the loss of the phone she hid for days is causing,refuse to bring out but instead keeps it for herself,
That's selfish and a daring and stubborn mind,
She needs discipline .

Aside from that,she is well fed, schooled,housed ,clothed,

Mr Op..your mum is not and never a bad person,
She is doing the family of the girl a favour by taking her as her houshelp and not denying her food and appropriate discipline,at 13 she is till young and coporate discipline is in order, but say as from 15,it's best she sticks to worded advice,
Also it's not your must fault her parents are poor, it's obvious she is doing her best by not denying her the basic things of life, food, cloth, shelter, and Importantly EDUCATION..

Your parents are angels,
Don't mind these self righteous idiots who want to vilify your parent by all means...see if their own grandparents alone are in need of house assistance, they won't hesitate to find a maid for them...

Tell mummy to reduce the canning as she is becoming a teenager and can really take advice, aside from that Kudos to your parents...
Many great Africans if repute went through coporate punishement and turned out fine
@ Hismasterpiece

Noted. Thanks.
Re: Is It Okay To Beat Your House Help? by Hismasterpiece(m): 3:19pm On Oct 10, 2021
cooooooks:
NEVER beat your househelp.

Treat her or him like family, else what you have is a slave.

Explain to your mom that NAPTIP is supposed to arrest her.

Which one is NAPTIP again?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Is It Always Difficult To Connect With Paternal Cousins Than Marternal Cousi / What Is A Perfect Marriage Like? / What Do You Call This In Your Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.