Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,167 members, 7,849,606 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:42 AM

The Bible Is Overrated - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Bible Is Overrated (3019 Views)

The Bible Is Just A Story Book , I Don't Know If Am The Only One Seeing It.. / Which Version Of The Christian Bible Is The Best? / If The Bible Is A Fairy-Tale, Then Why Is It Banned In At Least 52 Countries? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Pastafari: 9:54pm On Oct 13, 2021
HellVictorinho:

What is everything??
Like all you know and don’t know
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Nobody: 9:55pm On Oct 13, 2021
Pastafari:
Like all you know and don’t know

There's no such thing as all I know and don't know
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Pastafari: 9:57pm On Oct 13, 2021
HellVictorinho:

There's no such thing as all I know and don't know
You don't know that the Flying Spaghetti Monster created everything.
Do you?
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by budaatum: 9:59pm On Oct 13, 2021
Pastafari:

Because scientists didn’t predict covid19 is not a valid argument against the predictability power of science.

Sir! We are not debating the agreed upon predictability of science here! If science lacked predictability man would never have landed on the moon or sent Juno Probe to Jupiter!

What is in contention here is the ability of scientists to "know what happened 13.8billion years" ago, a claim that I have personally never heard made! Even the "13.8 billion years ago" itself is an estimate at best, as in, as close as we scientist have been able to determine with the tools available to us.
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Nobody: 10:01pm On Oct 13, 2021
Pastafari:
You don't know that the Flying Spaghetti Monster created everything.
Do you?

What is everything??
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Nobody: 10:03pm On Oct 13, 2021
budaatum:

Sir! We are not debating the agreed upon predictability of science here! If science lacked predictability man would never have landed on the moon or sent Juno Probe to Jupiter!

What is in contention here is the ability of scientists to "know what happened 13.8billion years" ago, a claim that I have personally never heard made! Even the "13.8 billion years ago" itself is an estimate at best, as in, as close as we scientist have been able to determine with the tools available to us.

Bury me a winner
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Pastafari: 10:05pm On Oct 13, 2021
budaatum:

I have given you clear analogy as to why your argument is fallacious. Go back and read the dead tree analogy.

And who says science cannot tell what happened 13.8billion years ago when all the indices and markers are available to extrapolate that?
It's like assuming that science cannot know what happened during Ordovician-silurian Extinction: 440 million years ago when the all markers are available in form of fossil records.
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Pastafari: 10:06pm On Oct 13, 2021
HellVictorinho:

What is everything??
Everthing you know and don't know
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 13, 2021
Pastafari:
Everthing you know and don't know

What is everything I know and don't know
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Pastafari: 10:07pm On Oct 13, 2021
HellVictorinho:

What is everything I know and don't know
for example, you don't know that the Flying Spaghetti Monster created everything
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Nobody: 10:09pm On Oct 13, 2021
Pastafari:
for example, you don't know that the Flying Spaghetti Monster created everything

You are just repeating yourself

You are going round a circle

Answer the question and stop wasting my time
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Pastafari: 10:12pm On Oct 13, 2021
HellVictorinho:

You are just repeating yourself

You are going round a circle

Answer the question and stop wasting my time
You are the person pretending not to know the meaning of everything by making a "loaded question" fallacy
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by KnownUnknown: 10:19pm On Oct 13, 2021
Inductive reasoning: conclusion merely likely
Inductive reasoning begins with observations that are specific and limited in scope, and proceeds to a generalized conclusion that is likely, but not certain, in light of accumulated evidence. You could say that inductive reasoning moves from the specific to the general. Much scientific research is carried out by the inductive method: gathering evidence, seeking patterns, and forming a hypothesis or theory to explain what is seen.

Conclusions reached by the inductive method are not logical necessities; no amount of inductive evidence guarantees the conclusion. This is because there is no way to know that all the possible evidence has been gathered, and that there exists no further bit of unobserved evidence that might invalidate my hypothesis. Thus, while the newspapers might report the conclusions of scientific research as absolutes, scientific literature itself uses more cautious language, the language of inductively reached, probable conclusions:

What we have seen is the ability of these cells to feed the blood vessels of tumors and to heal the blood vessels surrounding wounds. The findings suggest that these adult stem cells may be an ideal source of cells for clinical therapy. For example, we can envision the use of these stem cells for therapies against cancer tumors [...].1
http://www.butte.edu/departments/cas/tipsheets/thinking/reasoning.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 13, 2021
Pastafari:
You are the person pretending not to know the meaning of everything by making a "loaded question" fallacy

Everything doesn't mean anything specific
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Pastafari: 10:25pm On Oct 13, 2021
HellVictorinho:

Everything doesn't mean anything specific
Everything means everything specifically
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 13, 2021
KnownUnknown:
Inductive reasoning begins with observations that are specific and limited in scope, and proceeds to a generalized conclusion that is likely, but not certain, in light of accumulated evidence. You could say that inductive reasoning moves from the specific to the general. Much scientific research is carried out by the inductive method: gathering evidence, seeking patterns, and forming a hypothesis or theory to explain what is seen.

Conclusions reached by the inductive method are not logical necessities; no amount of inductive evidence guarantees the conclusion. This is because there is no way to know that all the possible evidence has been gathered, and that there exists no further bit of unobserved evidence that might invalidate my hypothesis. Thus, while the newspapers might report the conclusions of scientific research as absolutes, scientific literature itself uses more cautious language, the language of inductively reached, probable conclusions:

What we have seen is the ability of these cells to feed the blood vessels of tumors and to heal the blood vessels surrounding wounds. The findings suggest that these adult stem cells may be an ideal source of cells for clinical therapy. For example, we can envision the use of these stem cells for therapies against cancer tumors [...].1

I know that all possible evidence has been gathered by you to determine that you have a Nairaland account
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Nobody: 10:28pm On Oct 13, 2021
Pastafari:
Everything means everything specifically

Repetition doesn't specify
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Pastafari: 10:31pm On Oct 13, 2021
HellVictorinho:

Repetition doesn't specify
Everything is quite specific unless for those who want to be tricky.
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Nobody: 10:37pm On Oct 13, 2021
Pastafari:
Everything is quite specific unless for those who want to be tricky.

You are still repeating Bla Bla Bla

How did you know I know what you mean by everything

Are you in my head?
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by budaatum: 10:39pm On Oct 13, 2021
Pastafari:

And who says science cannot tell what happened 13.8billion years ago when all the indices and markers are available to extrapolate that?
It's like assuming that science cannot know what happened during Ordovician-silurian Extinction: 440 million years ago when the all markers are available in form of fossil records.

All I can say is claiming to know what happened 13.8 billion years ago sounds so "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth", to me.

Pasta. You might consider that I am much less knowledgeable than you and forgive me in my unknowings.

Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Pastafari: 10:47pm On Oct 13, 2021
budaatum:

All I can say is claiming to know what happened 13.8 billion years ago sounds so "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth", to me.

Pasta. You might consider that I am much less knowledgeable than you and forgive me in my unknowings.
You will get it if you read the gospel I shared with you.
Please read it. Summon the courage, this debate is unnecessary if you can read the book
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by budaatum: 10:47pm On Oct 13, 2021
KnownUnknown:

Sources please!

http://www.butte.edu/departments/cas/tipsheets/thinking/reasoning.html

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/01/020131074645.htm#:~:text=%22What%20we%20have%20seen%20is,of%20cells%20for%20clinical%20therapy.
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Pastafari: 10:52pm On Oct 13, 2021
HellVictorinho:

You are still repeating Bla Bla Bla

How did you know I know what you mean by everything

Are you in my head?
what's your won definition for everything?
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by budaatum: 10:53pm On Oct 13, 2021
Pastafari:
You will get it if you read the gospel I shared with you.
Please read it. Summon the courage, this debate is unnecessary if you can read the book

I'm afraid I have far more important books to read. I just got Wole Soyinka's new book. I kind of feel I might learn a lot more from that. Remember I said I've tried it before and dumped it. It is required read for some though. Note. I am recommending it.

Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Pastafari: 11:00pm On Oct 13, 2021
budaatum:

I'm afraid I have far more important books to read. I just got Wole Soyinka's new book. I kind of feel I might learn a lot more from that. Remember I said I've tried it before and dumped it. It is required read for some though. Note. I am recommending it.
Then you cannot deliberate my beliefs if you don't understand the nitty gritty of my belief.
It's very hard that I gave you the whole answers but you still ask me questions because you don't care the read it.
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by budaatum: 11:14pm On Oct 13, 2021
Pastafari:
Then you cannot deliberate my beliefs if you don't understand the nitty gritty of my belief.
It's very hard that I gave you the whole answers but you still ask me questions because you don't care the read it.

I don't particularly care what anyone believes, Pasta. Especially if its what they believe from reading books. I am an antibeliever, you see, I do not give a flying fuq about the crap people cook in their heads and choose to believe, because I am far too busy understanding my own head.

Please know that I was not asking you for "whole answers", but just for simple answers to "facts" you claimed to be giving. Still, you don't owe me any answers.
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 13, 2021
Pastafari:
what's your won definition for everything?
[size=8pt][/size]

Everything refers to a group of things such as a group of pencils

A group of stones

What Google calls the 'totality of existence' is just another thing

There's actually no limit to what exists

Someone called otem once confessed to be assuming there's a limit to what exists

I am not assuming

I am telling you that either there's no limit to what exists or there's never anything that exists

The former is true

Or don't you exist as whatever/whoever you are?!??
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Pastafari: 11:25pm On Oct 13, 2021
HellVictorinho:
[size=8pt][/size]

Everything refers to a group of things such as a group of pencils

A group of stones

What Google calls the 'totality of existence' is just another thing

There's actually no limit to what exists

Someone called otem once confessed to be assuming there's a limit to what exists

I am not assuming

I am telling you that either there's no limit to what exists or there's never anything that exists

The former is true

Or don't you exist as whatever/whoever you are?!??

Is this not a fallacy of equivocation?
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Nobody: 11:26pm On Oct 13, 2021
Pastafari:
Is this not a fallacy of equivocation?

Prove that it is
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Pastafari: 11:27pm On Oct 13, 2021
budaatum:

I don't particularly care what anyone believes, Pasta. Especially if its what they believe from reading books. I am an antibeliever, you see, I do not give a flying fuq about the crap people cook in their heads and choose to believe, because I am far too busy understanding my own head.

Please know that I was not asking you for "whole answers", but just for simple answers to "facts" you claimed to be giving. Still, you don't owe me any answers.
You are still very lost. LordReed please come and beg Buda to read the gospel of the flying spaghetti monster to understand the point.
He's very lost in this conversation
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by budaatum: 11:28pm On Oct 13, 2021
Pastafari:
You are still very lost. LordReed please come and beg Buda to read the gospel of the flying spaghetti monster to understand the point.
He's very lost in this conversation

I guess I'm lost for now. Hopefully, I'll find time for it in the future and become unlost.
Re: The Bible Is Overrated by Pastafari: 11:30pm On Oct 13, 2021
HellVictorinho:

Prove that it is
The fallacy of equivocation occurs when a key term or phrase in an argument is used in an ambiguous way, with one meaning in one portion of the argument and then another meaning in another portion of the argument

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Religion Are Most Nigerians? / Has Anyone Read The Entire Bible - Genesis To Revelation? / Jim Iyke Delivered In S.C.O.A.N. Through Wise Man Daniel

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.