Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:57 AM

Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi (24763 Views)

Peter Obi And Abure Accused Of Misappropriating LP's $15 Million (Video) / Pandora Papers: I Am Yet To Receive Invitation From EFCC – Peter Obi / Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by stephanie11: 2:41pm On Oct 11, 2021
POLITICSNIGERIA.COM

Former Governor of Anambra state, Peter Obi has revealed why he opened offshore accounts for himself and his family abroad.

Obi got into hot water after the release of the Pandora Papers, a project carried out by a global International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ).

The project saw 600 journalists from 150 news organisations around the world poring through a trove of 11.9 million confidential files, contextualising information, tracking down sources and analysing public records and other documents.

The leaked files were retrieved from some offshore services firms around the world that set up shell companies and other offshore entities for clients, many of them influential politicians, businesspersons and criminals, seeking to conceal their financial dealings.

Obi was exposed in the report as one of the personalities who clandestinely set up and operated businesses overseas, including in notorious tax and secrecy havens in ways that breached Nigerian laws.

Appearing on Arise TV on Monday, monitored by POLITICS NIGERIA, he addressed the issue stating that the he breached no law and committed no crime. In his words;

"Trust company is a legitimate vehicle used everywhere globally for investment, savings and estate planning purposes. In my Particular case and that of my family, it was done on very valuable advice of our then bankers, Loyce TSB. This is what they did for all their international clients who operated at the time i lived in the UK. They will help you to see that the formulated trust company offshore and that is what we did."

"This company was never used to launder money before, during and after till date. It wasn't used for anything during my time in office. It was strictly a trust company for savings and family planning that was used to support our borrowings which we even invested in this country".

When asked by one of the Programme anchors if he had $500 million in offshore accounts. Obi replied;

"If you see more than 3% of that, in there, confiscate all my properties here and abroad".

He continued: "As a father, I save for my children, i save for my family and they Know".

"If you go there and find more than 3%, about 3% which is about $15 million, if i bequeath my children $500 million, i have cursed them. There is money you bequeath People, you curse them. You bequeath them what is manageable so that they can start their life. If you see anything more than $15 million there, confiscate what i have overseas and here".
https://politicsnigeria.com/breakingpandorapapers-i-have-15-million-in-offshore-accounts-peter-obi/

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by Ezehillary(m): 2:43pm On Oct 11, 2021
Nothing will happen to you sir, since gumi is walking freely

117 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by GboyegaD(m): 2:46pm On Oct 11, 2021
Hmm....who's asking? Was this declared while he was governor? All these are to prove transparency towards 2023, right?

Until we all go back to our local wards and be active in our democracy to effect the changes we so desire, the old crops who are of no use will keep ruling us.

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by BluntCrazeMan: 2:46pm On Oct 11, 2021
Na waa..
How exactly did he get the money??
Then again, did he declare them??
That's the question..

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by Nobody: 2:46pm On Oct 11, 2021
So, it's true.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by 4tomandchi: 2:46pm On Oct 11, 2021
I just hope they can also invest these kind of effort in investing northern politicians. Why are they keeping secret the list of those sponsoring terrorist and bandit is no because they are hausa?

Let them continue we are watching!!!

11 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by BigSarah(f): 2:47pm On Oct 11, 2021
Yeah I didn't like that part of The Interview..
TMI(Too much Information) Peter Obi, Peter Truly Cares about his Image, you can't stain the stainless..

That's the reason why Prof Charles soludo, should be elected Governor, these are people who have something to protect...Soludo will live to go above the standard of Peter Obi and Willie Obiano..
Andy UBA is a known rogue that doesn't care, he has nothing to protect or offer really...

103 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by CaptainAyub: 2:47pm On Oct 11, 2021
Correct man.
I've been waiting to hear anyone accuse you of touching govt money but none has.
And they keep comparing you that was already doing well b4 u became governor to Thiefnuubu who was living in a rented house in his own Lagos state b4 he became governor

108 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by ednut1(m): 2:47pm On Oct 11, 2021
No nigerian politician is holy or clean.

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by Leemekzy: 2:48pm On Oct 11, 2021
ok
Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by julitoch: 2:48pm On Oct 11, 2021
Hmmmm, he is just responding because of political ambition, he would have just be quiet about the whole thing just like Bishop

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by PotatoSalad(m): 2:48pm On Oct 11, 2021
If you go there and find more than 3%, about 3% which is about $15 million, if i bequeath my children $500 million, i have cursed them. There is money you bequeath People, you curse them. You bequeath them what is manageable so that they can start their life. If you see anything more than $15 million there, confiscate what i have overseas and here

Akuko Mike Ejeagha.
Virtue signalling

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by kolnel: 2:49pm On Oct 11, 2021
thieves everywhere

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by Opak001(m): 2:49pm On Oct 11, 2021
I believe this, pandora whatever, can type what they like,but the justice system is just something else in this country.

8 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 2:49pm On Oct 11, 2021
U
Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by Saao(m): 2:49pm On Oct 11, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
Na waa..
Did he declare them??
That's the question..
yes, he said he declare everything that belongs to him

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by soulfood(m): 2:49pm On Oct 11, 2021
How did you make the money? That is what needs to be answered? if he can prove it is legally made, then its his choice where he saves it

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by myrrtle(m): 2:49pm On Oct 11, 2021
Peter Obi is just as successful as most igbo people. If Igbo's have their country, they'll be as successful as Taiwan or Hong Kong. Other tribes go climb fence to enter biafra cos Biafra will be the best place in Africa and there will be no alamanjiri to hold them back.

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by Moferere: 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2021
Hehehe, he's defending himself unashamedly

5 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by Paperbag(m): 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2021
Ok

Thats just one of the accounts they found ooh

How about numerous other offshore accounts ? Cause they don't just use one , they spread it as much as possible ..

But operating an offshore account aint a crime , its just being smarter than the govt ...

In case govt and interpool freeze your accounts they cant touch you offshore accts , just a safty deposit box

8 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by BluntCrazeMan: 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2021
Saao:
yes, he said he declare everything that belongs to him
How exactly did he get such money please?
I need to delve into that line of business he did.
post=106645134:
Obi was exposed in the report as one of the personalities who clandestinely set up and operated businesses overseas, including in notorious tax and secrecy havens in ways that breached Nigerian laws.
Is it a bad thing for someone to set up and operate businesses overseas??
If you said it is clandestinely, now that it is no more a hidden affair, let the courts decide his matter.
All these media noise is just making the man popular.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2021
kolnel:
thieves everywhere
Hmmmmm,
You've said it all!

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by MI6Surveillance: 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2021
Not a fan of Obi, but dude was a silent billionaire before he joined politics. His dad was among the richest Igbos living in Onitsha decades ago where Peter Obi grew up

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by greenie77: 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2021
Ezehillary:
Nothing will happen to you sir, since gumi is walking freely

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2021
Fine Money..

The man nah rich man b4. At least, there are brands that he was associated with before joining politics.

There is always a paperwork..

8 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by onoms4luv(m): 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2021
The good thing about this country is nothing will happen to those mentioned in pandora paper

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2021
SmartPolician:

Ogbeni, who made you a judge?
Go and watch the full video
Argue with the over 600 journalists that published what we quoted.
Again, You are truly smart as your moniker signifies! (sic!!)
What a smart fellow!! (sic sic!!)

josite:
Twice Reuben abati asked him to be specific about how he made the money,the man was parambulating.hevsaid he supply champagne to arise chairman years ago in surulere and he owns majority shares in 3 banks.

He lost a golden opportunity to prove his money is legit.he lost my vote forever.
Hmmmm, this is deep!!

@the below screenshot,
Say no more Bobowaja,
Na dem,
We know that from day one!
Ignore such people and pay them no mind.
Quoting him is only a waste of time and effort.
They can defend rubbish till Jesus comes as long as it doesn't Favour their selfish reasons.
It's truly a big shame!

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by CallmeGideon: 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2021
Heart attack for some people from the falling devil region

8 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:51pm On Oct 11, 2021
The project saw 600 journalists from 150 news organisations around the world poring through a trove of 11.9 million confidential files, contextualising information, tracking down sources and analysing public records and other documents.
shocked shocked shocked
Say no more!!!

We are still reading all the reports patiently before we make further comments on EVERYONE involved.
This is the height of it in our darling nation.

8 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Emefiele: Governors Appoint Soludo As Chairman Of Committee To Engage CBN / See Why Dele Momodu Blocked Me From His Twitter Handle [photo Illustration] / Amaechi: Wike Is Benefitting From His Political Misjudgments- Abe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.