Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled - Properties (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled (39276 Views)

Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment / How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) / Please Help. My Apartment Is Being Haunted By A Ghost. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by BamakSNR(m): 8:26pm On Oct 16, 2021
Talk to your lawyer cool[color=#990000][/color]
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Solatium(m): 8:31pm On Oct 16, 2021
wirinet:

You cannot undertake construction job without an agreed quotation and payment terms, all signed.

Forget structure, rich and powerful men owes big and structured companies and there is little they can do except long and expensive legal tussles to get their monies. Rich men owe big and structured banks billions of naira and the banks beg to get their money. AMCON was created to banks recover loans that banks banks could otherwise not recover.

A former Group Managing Director of NNPC owed me for job done at his residence and his wife's office. What do you expect me to do? I asked someone he respects to beg him for me. It was the day he was taking his whole family to London on holidays he felt pity for me and paid me my N250,000 owed. Do you want me to tell you about a SAN (Senior Advocate of Nigeria) that owed me for 8 months.

Now, I don't allow people to owe me. I must collect my money 100% before final delivery of any goods or services. This I state in all my contracts. If the clients don't accept it, then it's bye. I cannot go through the stress and humiliation of begging for my money again.

Like i said,you define who you are,you eventually agreed with what i kept saying by changing your business model.

Me i am not bank that you can owe forever without been paid, sometimes i borrow to augment the budget of that job,if you now decided to take the whole of my money plus the borrowed ones where will I get the funds to serve others?
i don't deal with people base on the face value,na business hold me and you.
No Extra niceness
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by KillIgbohoN0W: 11:24pm On Oct 16, 2021
dominique:

This is wickedness, not only did you owe for eight months you locked his house for over a year. You deserve to have your things thrown out into the streets! Majority of tenants we have today are horrible sets of people! Imagine if that house was the landlord's main source of income, that's how you would have deprived the man from making money for an entire year and you expect God not to punish you. I hope you build your own house one day and one useless tenant will lock it up for 600 years without paying

shocked shocked
Dominique!! Chinekenna!!

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Deserea: 11:31pm On Oct 16, 2021
Your landlord and all those condeming you are ignorant of the law, and ignorance is not an excuss in the eye of the law.

Just as naijainstinct rightly said, get yourself a good lawyer with concrete evidence against the landlord and sue him for trespass and burglary, claim malicious damage of your choice, and watch him pay in tears.

Teach him some lessons, and he will becareful with others next time. But, first report to police as burglary and theft before proceeding to court.

I wish you the best!

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by gabbytabby: 6:08am On Oct 17, 2021
He said, she said matter. Liar liar until you hear the otherside. Him go go police station tire.

Cunny man die cunny man bury am make una continue.

Deserea:
Your landlord and all those condeming you are ignorant of the law, and ignorance is not an excuss in the eye of the law.

Just as naijainstinct rightly said, get yourself a good lawyer with concrete evidence against the landlord and sue him for trespass and burglary, claim malicious damage of your choice, and watch him pay in tears.

Teach him some lessons, and he will becareful with others next time. But, first report to police as burglary and theft before proceeding to court.

I wish you the best!

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Deserea: 8:37am On Oct 17, 2021
gabbytabby:
He said, she said matter. Liar liar until you hear the otherside. Him go go police station tire.

Cunny man die cunny man bury am make una continue.

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by kaboninc(m): 5:55am On Oct 18, 2021
helpee:
Foool. The tenant property is in landlord's care.. Why not kuku put your wife in his care? Your brain has been formatted. Kid. Landlord is solely responsible for security in his compound. You are a fool. Are you paying him service charges? This one is even a baby. I have houses I haven't been to in more than one year. So if your brother come to pack your load I should go and get police on your behalf. Idiort!!! Security is a collective responsibility based on stated agreement. Why am I even talking further with this Foool that lacks public decorum?

Easy Easy easyyyyy oooooooooo
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Iamolukorede(m): 4:53pm On Oct 18, 2021
You don't know law, and what as cow Fulani thingy got to do with the story ..

quote author=wirinet post=106768888]
He should have charged him to court instead of breaking into his apartment. A landlord has no right to break into a tenants apartment even if the tenant is owing 8 years.

Besides, the landlord can only sue to a civil court and not a criminal Court as owing is not a crime. Meanwhile the tenant can sue the landlord to a criminal Court, which involves bail money, surety and all. The landlord will pay through his nose if taken to court.

Sleeping in cell for what offense exactly? Owing someone for service rendered?

You people behave like Fulani business. You want special privileges given to people who engage in rent business, just like Fulani people want special privileges given to cow business ( free land). When customers owe for services or goods supplied, you take them to civil court to recover your money and not resort to self help or violence.
[/quote]
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by erico2k2(m): 5:49pm On Oct 18, 2021
naijainstinct:
Simply just obtain a police report and proceed to court. Even though you owe him, he should have obtained an eviction order from the court. He has broken the law. If you don't sue him, he will do it again. We are not in a jungle, there's a due process for everything. Being owed is not a reason to act outside the ambit of the law. Also, don't allow anyone harass you. Going by the ACJA 2015, police should not interfere in civil matters such as this. Indebtedness is not a criminal offence. The reason why you are reporting to the police is because a criminal offence has been committed by your landlord i.e obtaining your asset without your notice (a.k.a stealing) and breaking into your apartment (a.k.a burglary)

The compensation you will get will surpass the rent you are owing. Make sure you pay your rent from that. All the best.
We do not know yet if Landlord got any legal backing to evict tenant and also we do not know the type of agreement he signed when he rented the apartment.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by odimbannamdi(m): 12:40am On Oct 19, 2021
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by odimbannamdi(m): 12:43am On Oct 19, 2021
anorexicmuster:
The landlord is a very patient man

I had sympathy for the tenant...until I saw that he had not paid his rent for eight months.

Landlord was very very patient. Some would have gotten the tenant's property removed within 2 weeks of default

How can do you do that? Please tell us.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Tinubuadvocate: 9:01am On Oct 20, 2021
Imagine please can you link me up with deceased man children?
Simeony007:
Congratulations!!! Bros, You don blow ooo

Just find correct Lawyer grin grin grin

Something of such happened in Lagos here 9 years ago, the tenant rented an half plot, I don't really know how much he pays then for the rent, but he wasn't paying very well. He was owing the landlord a year rent.

He built a restaurant and bar on the land.

One day, Landlord got angry and arranged boys to destroy the man's shop. They destroy the walls without going inside not touching anything. The man told me this himself because I was going to rent part of the the land for my viewing center business that I wanted to open at the area then.

He reported the case to the police and got himself a lawyer because he was educated and an Ebo man. He took pictures for evidence and told the Judge that he left 5 million naira in his bar, his lawyer asked him to say that.

They charged the man to court and he explained what led to his actions but the Judge punished him by asking him to pay 8 million for damages or he can forget the land, and it belongs to the tenant until otherwise.

The man begged his tenant but he refused and got stroke. So, his children went to the man to beg and he asked them to go and bring 3 million and he will drop the case. Till today, the tenant has been using the land as he likes and renting it to other tenants like he owns it. The owner is late now so and the children never see 3m.

This happens at Aguda Ogba Lagos.

Congrats again grin grin grin grin
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Simeony007(m): 9:25am On Oct 20, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
Imagine please can you link me up with deceased man children?
LOL, For real, what do you want to do?
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Tinubuadvocate: 9:27am On Oct 20, 2021
Please link me up with them.
Simeony007:

LOL, For real, what do you want to do?
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Simeony007(m): 9:34am On Oct 20, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
Please link me up with them.

Do you live in Lagos?
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Tinubuadvocate: 11:50am On Oct 20, 2021
Yes I live in ogudu GRA if you do this you will get compensated.
Simeony007:

Do you live in Lagos?
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by BeardedMeat(m): 3:31pm On Oct 20, 2021
helpee:
In your so called America, the op won't last four months before they throw out his property. You will owe landlord for eight months in America and they won't send your property packing . You guys will just watch one film and be generalising. Go and owe your landlord in America and see wether you won't end up on the streets
The issue here is lawlessness and getting away with it.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by helpee(m): 4:22pm On Oct 20, 2021
BeardedMeat:
The main issue is that the law did not protect the landlord in Nigeria unlike USA. In USA, within one month the landlord can get you evicted and still collect his money since you will have social security number so the landlord has no reason to take laws into his hands. Here, the tenant is owing 8months , locked the property and the landlord may not be able to get him evicted in the next 8 moths again and he may never recover the rent since the tenant will just disappear. So, if the same thing that happened to this landlord is happening in America, many of them will also become lawless and trust me, they will find legal loopholes to get away with it
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by BeardedMeat(m): 10:53am On Oct 22, 2021
helpee:
The main issue is that the law did not protect the landlord in Nigeria unlike USA. In USA, within one month the landlord can get you evicted and still collect his money since you will have social security number so the landlord has no reason to take laws into his hands. Here, the tenant is owing 8months , locked the property and the landlord may not be able to get him evicted in the next 8 moths again and he may never recover the rent since the tenant will just disappear. So, if the same thing that happened to this landlord is happening in America, many of them will also become lawless and trust me, they will find legal loopholes to get away with it
The system works in USA. If a system is fair to all, then everyone will be adequately informed.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by HenorkShobox009(m): 5:19pm On Oct 23, 2021
BryanZino:
Hello guys, I'm new to posting on this forum so I don't know the best section this post should be.
As I type this, I'm currently sick and there so much anger and pain within, I haven't been able to eat or drink since I got the news from my neighbor who told me that my landlord came to the house with a strange face, broke the locks to my apartment and packed my things out, I sent a relative to confirm and she said everything is outside but he went with my TV set.
I called the landlord to ask what he has done, he blatantly lied telling me I sent my 'brother' to clear my things off the apartment that he has reported me to Police.
Yes, I owe him 8months rent and I've away for 13 months even before the last year rent I paid expired. I told him I'll be back by November and I'll pay once I get in.
Pls even though I owe him, it doesn't feel right stealing my property and throwing the rest in the rain
Pls I'm lost and dire need of legal advice
Edit: while I'm not absolving my self of the guilt that I owe the landlord this long and purely due to loss of job (covid19 problems) and there's no way I go there and get my stuff without paying the backlog. [code][/code] he freaking broke in and kept what he desired for himself and lied he didn't. Haba, this is wrong na
Get your land at Pishon Properties

Limited with ease.

BENEFITS ARE :

- Low Entry Point

- Flexible Payments Plan

- Secure Investment

- Omonile Stress Free

INFRASTRUCTURE :

- Perimeter Fencing

- Gate & Gate House

- Electrification & Green Area

- Accessible Road

Idi Ori, Abeokuta

Price : 650k

For more information

Call or WhatsApp me : 08183531196

www.pishonproperties.com

Visit for details of all our products

1 Share

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by dapotemi: 4:52pm On Nov 01, 2021
I am a tenant, and believe me we have very bad landlord and very very wicked tenant.. I once stayed in a house where my neighbour was owing about 18 month rent, he lost his job due to covid, wifey is a full house-wife. But immediately he got a new job and money started rolling in, he said something to me in one of our gist, he said "Do you think it is advisable to pay this man (landlord) his 18 month ARREARS or to just move out to another house" .. Your guess is as good as mine, he MOVED out of the house, got a new place and he paid 2 years. He took advantage of our landlord's meekness and kindness...... He left 18 month rent arrears.
From my experience, even if you are earning 500k monthly, you will struggle to build a decent, average 3 bedroom flat, unless perhaps you're not married, you dont have kids, you dont have parent that you support, you dont have bro/sis/uncle/aunt that calls you regularly for one finance related issue.... Though, unless the landlord has a valid warrant, he should not have acted that way. Tenants needs to behave in a decent manner. How would you lock a man's house for months without payment. You no live there, you no allow person wey go pay enter, yet you no pay. You no try.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by golddeejay(m): 8:15pm On Nov 01, 2021
Icumsa45:
Well it's his property and you are owing with the intent of not likely to pay back, if you had paid part landlord go know say you dey try.
This is not a jungle and the law doesn't work like that.

The landlord may pay for what he didn't take since he didn't take the legal route.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by AGBOKOJO(m): 7:06pm On Nov 02, 2021
Soft reminderâť—

Time's a ticking....

Early bird ends at midnight.

Just a few hours left to get your plot before price goes up.

Call 09062164866 now

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by ayo84(m): 9:56am On Nov 06, 2021
Was it subliminally or through the door, you know some ppl can teleport into buildings which is an offence
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by WelkinBlue: 12:20pm On Nov 17, 2021
Did this happen in Lagos? If yes please dont be afraid to sue the landlord. Not paying your rent in time does not give the landlord a yardstick to break into your apartment. There are process for recovery of premises which your landlord ought to have utilized. You see this particular case you go win am no mind those discouraging you say you wicked and why you owe that kind of months. although am not supporting you by not paying your rents as at when due but no landlord as the right to harass or break into a tenants apartment without a court order
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Cortexhills99: 5:45pm On Nov 17, 2021
In as much as 8 months rent isn't small but having lived there for 8yrs and not owing him till now I see no justification in what he did, On the other hand you told him you will come November to clear the money which I suppose was ok by him initially so if he decides to take any action he should have let you know. All you need right now is a lawyer. Even quit notice takes 6 months which he didn't serve you with. Take it legally against him.
BryanZino:
Hello guys, I'm new to posting on this forum so I don't know the best section this post should be.
As I type this, I'm currently sick and there so much anger and pain within, I haven't been able to eat or drink since I got the news from my neighbor who told me that my landlord came to the house with a strange face, broke the locks to my apartment and packed my things out, I sent a relative to confirm and she said everything is outside but he went with my TV set.
I called the landlord to ask what he has done, he blatantly lied telling me I sent my 'brother' to clear my things off the apartment that he has reported me to Police.
Yes, I owe him 8months rent and I've away for 13 months even before the last year rent I paid expired. I told him I'll be back by November and I'll pay once I get in.
Pls even though I owe him, it doesn't feel right stealing my property and throwing the rest in the rain
Pls I'm lost and dire need of legal advice
Edit: while I'm not absolving my self of the guilt that I owe the landlord this long and purely due to loss of job (covid19 problems) and there's no way I go there and get my stuff without paying the backlog. [code][/code] he freaking broke in and kept what he desired for himself and lied he didn't. Haba, this is wrong na
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by ogaibe1(m): 3:05am On Nov 23, 2021
You should be ashamed of yourself u got the guts to come on here to vent, someone owing 8 months rent, I will seize your things if that was me until you pay all the money.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Dejisama: 7:09am On Nov 23, 2021
Great jumia offer o.

THE NEW JUMIA DISCOUNT CODE !!
Use this code
"NBFDEJI"
to get 10% off all items on jumia.
This code works on both the app
and website and it gives you an
Instant 10% off your order.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by BecomeALandLord(m): 5:19pm On Nov 29, 2021
When you also get a property, someone will owe you and won't pay.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 29, 2021
Permit me to say this very politely: you're not just wicked, you're also very stupid for holding someone investments down for over a year...

Nigerian Landlords/Landladies should normalise serving QUIT NOTICES the very first day following the expiration of the previous rent.
You'll reserve the liberty to withdraw the notice later if you want, but that Tenant will be on their toes to either pay up or pack out.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Nobody: 9:19pm On Nov 29, 2021
BeardedMeat:
In USA, deciding to owe your Landlord for just one month is Lawlessness and stupid, not to talk of 8 months.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Bobbyflips1(m): 9:47pm On Dec 01, 2021
PLOTS OF LAND FOR SALE AT KayFarms Estate
Iju, Ifako Ajaiye

Full plot: N45.75m
Half plots: N27.75m
Quarter Plots: N12.5m

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment / Turkey Security Doors And Wooden Doors For Sales / Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.