Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,248 members, 7,815,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled (39296 Views)

Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment / How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) / Please Help. My Apartment Is Being Haunted By A Ghost. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Daboomb: 9:32pm On Oct 15, 2021
ibrahim55:
like seriously this is not enough reason for the said landlord to break into and steal his properties he should get mr landlord arrested and charged asap

POSSIBILITIES
The Landlord probably had served him the required Six Months Notice and he ignored it (absence of 13 Months).
The Landlord has got aJudgement in absentia against him, in the following six Months
The Landlord has got a Court Sheriff to come and throw the Property out and use the TV to pay for Menes Profit, by way of Auction.

"He who must come to Equity, must come with Clean Hands".

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by drealcivilceno(m): 9:33pm On Oct 15, 2021
wirinet:

7 days quit notice is only applicable to monthly tenants. Tenants that pay yearly are entitled to 6 months notice.

False and defeatest mindset. I have taken my landlord to court before and won even when the police were acting funny.

I took the police itself to court about 4 months ago for illegally siezing my car (it was involved in an accident) and I won, and got my car back.

OK.

After the six months... If you no pack I will just comot zinc, door, window abi na own again. When mosquito and animals visit you like 3days, then if you now stubborn, I will seal the exits.

He seized your stuff, he was wrong.

He was supposed to wait till he knew where your new apartment was, then come calling for the amount you are owning..

Then when the auction some of your stuff, your eyes go clear!

Well the guy no follow procedure na him coz am.

Hope you paid everything you are owing, sha!
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by drealcivilceno(m): 9:34pm On Oct 15, 2021
Simeony007:

See this one, you know nothing lol

Tenant Law ko, Landlord punishment ni

OK
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Solatium(m): 9:36pm On Oct 15, 2021
wirinet:

The six months start counting from the day you acknowledge receipt of the quit notice and not from the day your rent expires. If the landlord had not giving him quit notice, then the six months has not started running.

I am fully aware of that,but how do you explain the 8 months rent owed?

Are you also aware that the landlord must have gone to Court to secure a kangaroo judgement to have him evicted?

it's all technicality bro,there is nothing he can do here,the landlord beat him to the game
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by MummyD2020(f): 9:41pm On Oct 15, 2021
BryanZino:
Hello guys, I'm new to posting on this forum so I don't know the best section this post should be.
As I type this, I'm currently sick and there so much anger and pain within, I haven't been able to eat or drink since I got the news from my neighbor who told me that my landlord came to the house with a strange face, broke the locks to my apartment and packed my things out, I sent a relative to confirm and she said everything is outside but he went with my TV set.
I called the landlord to ask what he has done, he blatantly lied telling me I sent my 'brother' to clear my things off the apartment that he has reported me to Police.
Yes, I owe him 8months rent and I've away for 13 months even before the last year rent I paid expired. I told him I'll be back by November and I'll pay once I get in.
Pls even though I owe him, it doesn't feel right stealing my property and throwing the rest in the rain
Pls I'm lost and dire need of legal advice
Edit: while I'm not absolving my self of the guilt that I owe the landlord this long and purely due to loss of job (covid19 problems) and there's no way I go there and get my stuff without paying the backlog. [code][/code] he freaking broke in and kept what he desired for himself and lied he didn't. Haba, this is wrong na

The headline is misleading. You are at fault. If you paid him the rent, he would have never done such a thing. You know how the economy is.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by thesicilian: 9:45pm On Oct 15, 2021
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

OP ignore ignoramuses like this, get a good lawyer, the fool will build a house for you. I hate stupid people. Quit notices are given for a reason, if a landlord chooses to be a tour, then treat him as such.
I was going to give you a lengthy reply, then I saw your moniker.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by thesicilian: 9:49pm On Oct 15, 2021
silverx:
That does not justify the breaking and entry into his house without his consent. Mind you, if it were to be a more saner Cline where the laws of the land works well that landlord will be sued.
But you're not in a saner clime. In that saner clime you talked about there are also proper channels for alerting his landlord if he's going to be away for that long. In the jungle if you behave like an animal, you get treated like one.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by thesicilian: 9:50pm On Oct 15, 2021
do4luv14:

that is even small, where I work, a tenet had not paid for 1 year and 6 months, it and he came back, asking that the spoilt roof should be made, that he still wants to use the room,

omo my Oga break the door open, send me to pack em thing out, repair the roof, and let the room out to another new tenet
People behave anyhow in Nigeria and when they get given a dose of their own medicine, they start crying.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by drealcivilceno(m): 9:51pm On Oct 15, 2021
Codes151:
you owe 8 months. Lock someone's house and left for 13 months.

You are a criminal.
You Dey craze.
Na so Una Dey do. If you wanted to travel, why didn't you pack out.
That's over 2 years the man didn't get his rent.

Get away u

Ooh!

You never see three years (2.1 mill), idiot got small money, started packing his load in bits until moved completely.

Things never jam people before, people wey never buy one bag of sand in their life, wan dey take Landlord to court!

Hmm.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by thesicilian: 9:51pm On Oct 15, 2021
houseontherock:

Our tenant lost his job during covid-19 pandemic, his rent was 10 months overdue but we didn't break into his flat because
1. We pitied him
2. We couldn't take laws into our hands by breaking into his apartment.
He has paid up now, even paid a new rate for his new rent, with a thank you card! I understand it's not easy, but stealing his tenant's property is all shades of low and he sure broke the law. OP can deal with him legally
Your tenant did not abscond for 13months did he?

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Darkmode64: 9:53pm On Oct 15, 2021
naijainstinct:
Simply just obtain a police report and proceed to court. Even though you owe him, he should have obtained an eviction order from the court. He has broken the law. If you don't sue him, he will do it again. We are not in a jungle, there's a due process for everything. Being owed is not a reason to act outside the ambit of the law. Also, don't allow anyone harass you. Going by the ACJA 2015, police should not interfere in civil matters such as this. Indebtedness is not a criminal offence. The reason why you are reporting to the police is because a criminal offence has been committed by your landlord i.e obtaining your asset without your notice (a.k.a stealing) and breaking into your apartment (a.k.a burglary)

The compensation you will get will surpass the rent you are owing. Make sure you pay your rent from that. All the best.
Whoa are you a lawyer or something? Learnt a lot from this.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by KingsleyCEO: 9:53pm On Oct 15, 2021
This is sad, but hey 12-8=? That means you held his property down for a year. In as much as some landlords have their excesses but you nor try Bros. What if the landlord is retired with no pension forth coming?

Maybe landlord dey call you, you nor dey gree pick. But my advice is that you make peace with payment and request for your property and move on.

May God never allow us be at mercies of senseless people.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by wirinet(m): 10:21pm On Oct 15, 2021
drealcivilceno:

OK.

After the six months... If you no pack I will just comot zinc, door, window abi na own again. When mosquito and animals visit you like 3days, then if you now stubborn, I will seal the exits.

He was supposed to wait till he knew where your new apartment was, then come calling for the amount you are owning..

You can only try that shit with a face me I face you tenant. If you comot zinc (or aluminium sheets), door, window, etc of a duplex or flat in Lekki, V/I or even Ikeja, you will be faced with a criminal and multi million naira law suit.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Simeony007(m): 10:24pm On Oct 15, 2021
obstead200:
suspect?? Maybe

Proof?? Definitely never.

I no go even dey in town when e go happen. And I will announce my travel at least one week before the date

LOL, which means you are the actual killer.

No matter how you do it, the fingers will be pointing at you
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by do4luv14(m): 10:27pm On Oct 15, 2021
thesicilian:

People behave anyhow in Nigeria and when they get given a dose of their own medicine, they start crying.

you are very correct,

what pains me in the matter is that, am the one who actually pleading his behalf, to my Oga to hear him out,

when my Oga told me what the man said, I ask, if he is coming in as a new tenet or what,

some people can make one look wicked with their senseless attitude

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by jidxin(m): 10:28pm On Oct 15, 2021
BeardedMeat:
The comments so far from Nlers shows just how low our academic sector has declined. I was shaking as I read all their comments.

Even if this man owed 4yrs, his landlord had no right to burgle his house without court orders.
its just so bad we don't read and we aint ready to learn unlearn and relearn
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by wirinet(m): 10:28pm On Oct 15, 2021
Solatium:

I am fully aware of that,but how do you explain the 8 months rent owed?
So what? I have been owed for over one year in my course of budiness, I did not resort to violence. Property rentage is a business and should be treated as one.

Are you also aware that the landlord must have gone to Court to secure a kangaroo judgement to have him evicted?
That's your own excuse. The landlord denied entering the tenants apartment and insisted the tenants load was taken by his brother.

it's all technicality bro,there is nothing he can do here,the landlord beat him to the game

The landlord did not beat him to any game. The OP is probably too timid or too broke to take on the landlord. Any landlord that tries this with someone a stubborn tenant would pay a huge price.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by drealcivilceno(m): 10:33pm On Oct 15, 2021
wirinet:

You can only try that shit with a face me I face you tenant. If you comot zinc (or aluminium sheets), door, window, etc of a duplex or flat in Lekki, V/I or even Ikeja, you will be faced with a criminal and multi million naira law suit.

Ok.

Mmm... The lagos tenancy laws do not apply to those on the island, so the agreements signed would have cover everything, except for those that are not aware of the law.

I wish your were a tenant sha, I for don teach your somethings.

Yinmu!
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by wirinet(m): 10:44pm On Oct 15, 2021
drealcivilceno:

Ok.

Mmm... The lagos tenancy laws do not apply to those on the island, so the agreements signed would have cover everything, except for those that are not aware of the law.

I wish your were a tenant sha, I for don teach your somethings.

Yinmu!

I am sure you have never hired a lawyer and taken someone to court. If you have you will have a faint idea of how the judicial system works.

Lagos tenancy law does not permit a landlord to forcefully break into a tenants house and remove or seize his property, no matter the rent owed.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by mployer(m): 10:45pm On Oct 15, 2021
helpee:
You think the landlord is a fool ? He already denied it. He even said it was the brother of the OP that came to pack the things out. Unless you have video evidence or witnesses, the OP have no case. The man even quickly went to report at the police station that the OP wanted to park out without paying his rent.

There are witnesses you remember?

The law doesn't require you to plead guilty before deciding you are guilty.

Enough evidences will nail him and his will escalate more he expected.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by legba1(m): 11:04pm On Oct 15, 2021
Naija suffer head situation has realy turned Nigerians to zombie... Why on earth are some folks cheering the landlord on... What he did is enough to get him into trouble.. I understand we have tons of kids on this forum who are still being fed and are yet to truly experienced the vagaries of life.
The covid 19 pandemic realy scatter economy and worsen standard of living world wide. The landlord got it wrong breaking the dudes door to the point of even keeping some of his property to himself... I wish I could get some errant landlord do that shit to me.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by drealcivilceno(m): 11:13pm On Oct 15, 2021
wirinet:

I am sure you have never hired a lawyer and taken someone to court. If you have you will have a faint idea of how the judicial system works.

Lagos tenancy law does not permit a landlord to forcefully break into a tenants house and remove or seize his property, no matter the rent owed.

Exactly...

drealcivilceno:

OK.

From the above, I haven't broken any rule.

And brother, I can get creative brother, trust me!

Na money, I no just get yet but !
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Branduche: 11:46pm On Oct 15, 2021
When rents expires, quit notice is served by the landlord lawyer to a tenant.
If the tenant doesn’t respond to solve issues upon quit notice, the landlord will go to court.
No landlord has the right to barge into an apartment to move out the property

Only the courts can give the order which will involve the police and human rights.

But in Nigeria, the landlord always wins the case.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by dheolexaone(f): 12:27am On Oct 16, 2021
@Op, because you have lived 40 years in a place does not guarantee you to starve your landlord for a year.
And am pretty sure that the man would av called u to no avails, but out of ur own wickedness, u decided to punish the man by locking his house up.
No probs.
Use ur energy to get a lawyer.
The landlord sef is not stupid. U will meet him in court.
Tenants like you deserve no building to lease to and am sure only ur fellow miscreants will tell u have done the right thing.
Ur turn is coming.
100 years lock up awaiting ur testimony.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by ume1000: 1:20am On Oct 16, 2021
OgunLaakaye:
Act like nothing happen. Return with 50 liters of petrol and burn house at midnight.

that's arson(a very big crime)

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Deblow: 1:43am On Oct 16, 2021
thesicilian:
I don't know if the law is on your side, but the fact is that you owe him money and if you really wanted to pay, you could have done that from anywhere in the world. 8months rent in this hard economy is not a joke.

And besides, he must have issued you with a quit notice which u probably jettisoned. However, throwing a tenant's property out while he's not around is not morally right. He should have packed it all in a place safe from theft and water and best done with a court order and in police presence.
At any rate, accept my heartfelt sympathy
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by SavageResponse(m): 2:11am On Oct 16, 2021
He will soon come out no and tell us that he left a bag containing N10 million in his room before he travelled grin
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by SavageResponse(m): 2:16am On Oct 16, 2021
legba1:
Naija suffer head situation has realy turned Nigerians to zombie... Why on earth are some folks cheering the landlord on... What he did is enough to get him into trouble.. I understand we have tons of kids on this forum who are still being fed and are yet to truly experienced the vagaries of life.
The covid 19 pandemic realy scatter economy and worsen standard of living world wide. The landlord got it wrong breaking the dudes door to the point of even keeping some of his property to himself... I wish I could get some errant landlord do that shit to me.

So you think it's justifiable to lock up a person's hose for 13 moths and abandon the house despite having outstanding rent?
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by SavageResponse(m): 2:18am On Oct 16, 2021
BryanZino:
Hello guys, I'm new to posting on this forum so I don't know the best section this post should be.
As I type this, I'm currently sick and there so much anger and pain within, I haven't been able to eat or drink since I got the news from my neighbor who told me that my landlord came to the house with a strange face, broke the locks to my apartment and packed my things out, I sent a relative to confirm and she said everything is outside but he went with my TV set.
I called the landlord to ask what he has done, he blatantly lied telling me I sent my 'brother' to clear my things off the apartment that he has reported me to Police.
Yes, I owe him 8months rent and I've away for 13 months even before the last year rent I paid expired. I told him I'll be back by November and I'll pay once I get in.
Pls even though I owe him, it doesn't feel right stealing my property and throwing the rest in the rain
Pls I'm lost and dire need of legal advice
Edit: while I'm not absolving my self of the guilt that I owe the landlord this long and purely due to loss of job (covid19 problems) and there's no way I go there and get my stuff without paying the backlog. [code][/code] he freaking broke in and kept what he desired for himself and lied he didn't. Haba, this is wrong na

If someone treats your retiree father the way you have treated this landlord would you be happy?
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by 21million(m): 4:27am On Oct 16, 2021
You can imagine this wicked idiot, you came to nairaland to seek advice or sympathy, even if you go to court or police station do you think the police officers and the judge is as unreasonable as you are? They will be able to discern that you are a fraud and wicked as well. Lick your wounds mother fucker and remember karma is a bitch, you might never be able to build your own house or if you manage to build, you will be frustrated by your own tenants serially.
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Fatalveli(m): 5:47am On Oct 16, 2021
musicwriter:

Did you keep your landlord updated about your way about? Because he may have waited for your return for too long and may have thought that you're dead. You can't just vanish to nowhere and expect him not to do something about recovery of his property. However, the question is whether he did that the right way. This is assuming it was indeed your landlord that broke into your house. I need to say that because emotions apart, I must be honest to tell you that you have no case unless you can prove in a competent court that it was your landlord that broke into your house.

Having said that, I can testify that some landlords or some people generally are evil. I lived in Cotonou in a house belonging to such evil men. This man went as far as using jazz on me but he didn't realize the type of person that I am. He even invited a jazz woman to the house but I killed the woman the same day he packed into the house. Then he invited credit card thieves and bank hackers to steal money from me. They'll sit around the gate when I want to enter the house and they'll station a card reader machine to intercept my card details from my pocket. There's nothing he didn't do to rob me. In his house!! His name is Latedjou and he had no idea I was studying him for 4 years. I never owed him for one day or even quarrelled with him. On the surface he appears to be a nice person but on the inside he's pure evil.
Do you believe in Jazz
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by HRMK: 5:54am On Oct 16, 2021
DO THE RIGHT THING BY PAYING UR RENTS!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment / Turkey Security Doors And Wooden Doors For Sales / Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.