Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:46 PM

How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) (63849 Views)

Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment / My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled / Please Help. My Apartment Is Being Haunted By A Ghost. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 8:47am On Nov 26, 2021
Mods, I don't know the right thread to post this. If romance section isn't the right thread, you can move it to the appropriate section.

Moved into a new apartment and realized the light isn't too good. Average of 6 to 10 hours per day and sometimes, there won't be light for like 3 days on a stretch.

I do freelance, love watching movies, I have a small fridge which serves me cold water, I need fan to cushion the heat. This implies that I need a constant light and with the epileptic light situation around, I felt I needed to do something.

My first thought was to get a generator. Average 1kva generator cost 80- 100k. I will have to be buying fuel, buying oil and also servicing the generator regularly.

I almost bought a new generator from jumia during the black Friday sales until I heard the rumors that fuel will likely to be sold for 320/ litre in 2022, I had to abort the generator plan and seek for alternative.

Then the thought of inverter came in. To figure out the specific watt to purchase, I first analyze the power rating of all my electronics.

1 dc led TV - 12v 3A which equals 36watt,
1 gotv - 12v 1A which equals 12wat,
1 dc standing fan in living room of 12v 2A which equals 24watt,
My laptop of 18v 2.3A which equals 41.4 watt,
1 table top fridge of 45watt,
6 energy saving bulbs of 5w each in entire apartment (bedroom, living room, toilet, kitchen, corridors, which equals 30watt
Phone chargers of 5v 2A which equals 10w.
1 wall fan in the bedroom of 45w

When I summed all the power ratings, I arrived at 243.4 watt in total.

So with miscellaneous appliances like woofer and the likes. I concluded And settled for 500w inverter.

201 Likes 35 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 8:50am On Nov 26, 2021
I looked around online on jumia, jiji and konga for ranges of 500watt inverters and chargers. After a rigorous check and comparison, I settled for this (picture attached) for 35k.

It is a 2 -in-1 package.( Solar charger / controller + 800va - 500w inverter). So no need for a separate solar controller

115 Likes 23 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 8:53am On Nov 26, 2021
Now it's time to get battery.

Considering the poor power supply in the area, I needed a battery that will serve me longer hours off grid when there is no nepa light. After searching and researching. I settled for this battery attached below (180ah/12v) for 85,000 naira

79 Likes 18 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 8:57am On Nov 26, 2021
The next challenge is how to charge the battery.
I have two options, charge with light or with sun.

I thought about it. To charge with light, It will add to the consuming units. And also, the light isn't even stable. Here is sun on the other hand, completely free from baba God and it shines every single day.

I decided to opt for the green and free route, solar energy.

I bought the solar panel (150w mono) attached for 30k

115 Likes 18 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by bigcee(m): 8:59am On Nov 26, 2021
Nice one. You did well cool

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 9:02am On Nov 26, 2021
Now it's time to run the connection.
The guy I got the inverter from charged me 10k for installation. I told him I will get back to him.

On getting home, I opened the battery, the inverter and the panel. They all came with a manual

The manual was easy to understand and the summary of the installation is "connect positive to positive and connect negative to negative". "Red to red and black to black".

Na so I remove my cloth, pick my screw driver and run the connection as instructed in the manuals and violla, light is here

185 Likes 13 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Skillsnigeria: 9:02am On Nov 26, 2021
That's good, you should have bought original battery brand and not gbm. But you can still manage it

61 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 9:08am On Nov 26, 2021
Total cost:

Battery : 85k
Solar panel : 30k
Inverter : 35k

Total: 150,000 naira.

I bought wires 2k

Making 152,000.

My observations so far
It takes 5 to 8 hours of sunshine to charge the battery from 0 to 100% depending on the sunlight intensity.

And guess what guys. When all the house load are on it, it lasted me up to 8 hours to use up a single charge. But when I put of the fridge, the 45watt fan and when my laptop isn't in use, it takes more than 12 hours and that's exactly what I needed.

Updated: the best time I get maximum value is between 12noon and 3pm. During this time, the inverter supplies power and charges at same time. By the time its getting close to 5pm, the charging reduces and the indicator drops to 80% but will still be charging at low rate. This means I can power it on from 12 noon to 4-5pm and the battery indicator only drops to 80%.

From that time till late night around 10-11pm, it drops to 60% and I switch it off till next day cos we always have light at nights

Burning 8 to 12 hours on petrol daily will send me back to my village.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk cheesy

1173 Likes 125 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by TimmyA: 9:08am On Nov 26, 2021
Thanks for the info

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Nobody: 9:11am On Nov 26, 2021
[code][/code]
U did well boss !!!!!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 26, 2021
Very nice and so innovative of you. I'm quite envious of you grin grin.... Enjoy your new light

111 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by madampresident(f): 9:31am On Nov 26, 2021
Brotherly, Abeg what's your location? Could you help with same installation for a fee?

125 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by zed7: 10:10am On Nov 26, 2021
I'm quite impressed. I wish I had the patience to DIY. I wish more people will learn to DIY. Fix cars, do their plumbing etc.
We have too many inexperienced workmen charging too much even whilst swindling you when buying parts. Kudos!

155 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 26, 2021
Your DIY mentality is commendable.
I am sure it wasn't as simple as red to red or black to black but you still nailed it.

The wiring can be neater.
I suppose you ran a continuity test on the whole system and you separated your heavy load via wiring as well. You don't want a visitor to mistakenly plug a 2500w steam iron into your unit.

Oh. I see there is a socket. Does this mean an extension is sending power to your appliances?

I recently did a 3kva 24v PSW Beaver, 2x 200ah 12v Gel Ritar , 2x 300w mono installation.

I had to pay the optional installation fee despite my strong background in electricals. Its just easier to pay experts these days.

177 Likes 13 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by siofra(f): 10:49am On Nov 26, 2021
Interesting!!

2 Likes

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Olavenza(m): 10:55am On Nov 26, 2021
lasthero:
Mods, I don't know the right thread to post this. If romance section isn't the right thread, you can move it to the appropriate section.

Moved into a new apartment and realized the light isn't too good. Average of 6 to 10 hours per day and sometimes, there won't be light for like 3 days on a stretch.

I do freelance, love watching movies, I have a small fridge which serves me cold water, I need fan to cushion the heat. This implies that I need a constant light and with the epileptic light situation around, I felt I needed to do something.

My first thought was to get a generator. Average 1kva generator cost 80- 100k. I will have to be buying fuel, buying oil and also servicing the generator regularly.

I almost bought a new generator from jumia during the black Friday sales until I heard the rumors that fuel will likely to be sold for 320/ litre in 2022, I had to abort the generator plan and seek for alternative.

Then the thought of inverter came in. To figure out the specific watt to purchase, I first analyze the power rating of all my electronics.

1 dc led TV - 12v 3A which equals 36watt,
1 gotv - 12v 1A which equals 12wat,
1 dc standing fan in living room of 12v 2A which equals 24watt,
My laptop of 18v 2.3A which equals 41.4 watt,
1 table top fridge of 45watt,
6 energy saving bulbs of 5w each in entire apartment (bedroom, living room, toilet, kitchen, corridors, which equals 30watt
Phone chargers of 5v 2A which equals 10w.
1 wall fan in the bedroom of 45w

When I summed all the power ratings, I arrived at 243.4 watt in total.

So with miscellaneous appliances like woofer and the likes. I concluded And settled for 500w inverter.

Share your contact

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 11:07am On Nov 26, 2021
Ovaltine:
Your DIY mentality is commendable.
I am sure it wasn't as simple as red to red or black to black but you still nailed it.

The wiring can be neater.
I suppose you ran a continuity test on the whole system and you separated your heavy load via wiring as well. You don't want a visitor to mistakenly plug a 2500w steam iron into your unit.

Oh. I see there is a socket. Does this mean an extension is sending power to your appliances?

I recently did a 3kva 24v PSW Beaver, 2x 200ah 12v Gel Ritar , 2x 300w mono installation.

I had to pay the optional installation fee despite my strong background in electricals. Its just easier to pay experts these days.

You are right about the wiring been neater.

The socket is a change over plug just like the one we see in barbers shop. I run main light to a socket that serves as nepa source and also have the inverter socket for inverter plug.

The only heavy load I have is a table top fridge which is energy savings (45w).

As for the visitors grin cheesy, I hardly have any. Just a single guy living alone and my interaction with neighbors ends at the compound.

The charger and inverter are all in one as shown in the picture and not separate solar charger and separate inverter as obtainable in most houses, so it was easy for me to connect. The only challenging part of the process is placing the panel on the roof which I was able to do with the help of ladder and rope.

105 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 11:08am On Nov 26, 2021
madampresident:
Brotherly, Abeg what's your location? Could you help with same installation for a fee?

Ikorodu, Lagos

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Myzubby(m): 11:38am On Nov 26, 2021
guy man I just dey here dey give you holy jealousy. You chose the best option economic wise

92 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 26, 2021
lasthero:

The only heavy load I have is a table top fridge which is energy savings (45w).

Interesting, my fridge takes stable 100w but need about 800w starting power which lasts for less than a second. My 5kva gen will make noise for a second or two anytime I plug the fridge.

I have been sceptical about plugging my fridge on the unit despite my research and the fact that it is a power-saving unit as well.
I use less than 25% capacity of the inverter during the day, so there is enough room for the surge requirement.

Fridge defrosting is the only reason I put on the gen. What do you say?

Specs are:
Rating: 252KWh/annum
Operating current: 0.8A
Total input power: 100w
Lamp power: 10w
Frequency: 50hz
Voltage: 220-240v

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Ericdeezy: 3:33pm On Nov 26, 2021
lasthero:
The guy I got the inverter from charged me 10k for installation. I told him I will get back to him.

On getting home, I opened the battery, the inverter and the panel. They all came with a manual

The manual was easy to understand and the summary of the installation is "connect positive to positive and connect negative to negative". "Red to red and black to black".

Na so I remove my cloth, pick my screw driver and run the connection as instructed in the manuals and violla, light is here

Good job and highly commendable. However, it seems like you didn’t get a charge controller for the solar panel. Connecting an MPPT charge controller between the solar panel and battery will regulate the rate of power the solar panel sends to your battery for charging. This will, in turn, help to improve the battery’s longevity.

You can consider getting the MPPT charge controller anytime you have some spare cash. Kudos for a job well done.

78 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 4:35pm On Nov 26, 2021
Ericdeezy:

Good job and highly commendable. However, it seems like you didn’t get a charge controller for the solar panel. Connecting an MPPT charge controller between the solar panel and battery will regulate the rate of power the solar panel sends to your battery for charging. This will, in turn, help to improve the battery’s longevity.

You can consider getting the MPPT charge controller anytime you have some spare cash. Kudos for a job well done.

Thanks for the input.
The inverter is an all in one (solar charger/controller + 800va 500watt inverter). Which means it charges the battery through the solar panel and also invert the output from 12v to Ac/DC.

From the picture attached, in the first image, the upper wire connects the solar pv, while the bottom wire connects to the battery.

The charging indicator in the first image

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Alphamentips: 5:50pm On Nov 26, 2021
lasthero:
I looked around online on jumia, jiji and konga for ranges of 500watt inverters and chargers. After a rigorous check and comparison, I settled for this (picture attached) for 35k.

Nice one bro. I'm a bit of a handyman too but this seems a bit extreme for me. I'm thinking about getting a 1500 Watt home inverter as I no fit de house w/o Ac

So in my case, like how much do you think I should budget for both inverter, solar panels and batteries? Workmanship fee excluded?

I can see 1.5kva inverters online ranging from 13k to 20k for solar inverters and put to 80 - 200k for normal ones. Which is better?

I can see chargers online for 9k - 12k.
And finally, how many Watt solar panel should I buy?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 6:43pm On Nov 26, 2021
Alphamentips:

Nice one bro. I'm a bit of a handyman too but this seems a bit extreme for me. I'm thinking about getting a 1500 Watt home inverter as I no fit de house w/o Ac

So in my case, like how much do you think I should budget for both inverter, solar panels and batteries? Workmanship fee excluded?

I can see 1.5kva inverters online ranging from 13k to 20k for solar inverters and put to 80 - 200k for normal ones. Which is better?

I can see chargers online for 9k - 12k.
And finally, how many Watt solar panel should I buy?

From what I learnt online, pure sine wave inverters are the best (according to https://www.genusinnovation.com/blogs/why-you-should-buy-sinewave-inverter). I guess that's why they are costlier than regular inverters. Since you will be Using Air condition, I will recommend battery of 200ah and above. You can get a dual 150ah battery that will supply 24v. For solar panel, 200w and above is recommended. You can also get dual 150mono panel.

If I may advice, first estimate the total power rating of what you want to power with the inverter, that was the first thing I did.

So apart from AC, what other appliances do you want to power?, what are their power ratings?, what is the power rating of the AC?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by officialfestus(m): 8:53pm On Nov 26, 2021
lasthero:

is your setup earth?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by drizzypat: 8:28pm On Nov 27, 2021
lasthero:
Total cost:

Battery : 85k
Solar panel : 30k
Inverter : 35k

Total: 150,000 naira.

I bought wires 2k

Making 152,000.

My observations so far
It takes 5 to 8 hours of sunshine to charge the battery from 0 to 100% depending on the sunlight intensity.

And guess what guys. When all the house load are on it, it lasted me up to 8 hours to use up a single charge. But when I put of the fridge, the 45watt fan and when my laptop isn't in use, it takes more than 12 hours and that's exactly what I needed.

Burning 8 to 12 hours on petrol daily will send me back to my village.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk cheesy
I'm sorry wat battery did u get that is 85k

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by texasbullet(m): 10:23am On Nov 28, 2021
Nice pls drop your contact
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Lovebliss2(f): 11:47am On Nov 28, 2021
Nice
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 2:17am On Nov 29, 2021
drizzypat:
I'm sorry wat battery did u get that is 85k

Gbm gel battery, 180ah/12v

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by ofor1: 9:29am On Nov 29, 2021
Impressive and insightful. I will visit this thread when I'm ready.

14 Likes

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by SarutobiEky(m): 10:49am On Nov 29, 2021
Nice

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Inside Abeokuta Hill-top Estate Where The Super Rich Live / Aluminium Profile, Glass And Accessories For Doors And Windows And Glass House / Ernest Azudialu Obiejesi's Nestoil Tower, Lagos (Video And Photo Documentry)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.