Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,443 members, 7,812,330 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? (24504 Views)

Please How Can I Improve My Spoken English / How Do I Improve My Spoken English? I Need Your Advice Please!!! / Please How Do I Improve My Grades(cgpa)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by jaxxy(m): 8:46pm On Oct 16, 2021
Saneesk:
Nairalanders please i need suggestions as to how i can improve my ospoken English to absolute fluency.

Speak slowly. And then pick up.
Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by airsaylongcome: 8:46pm On Oct 16, 2021
Vinnie2000:

Add Damn, Pussy Niggar pls! cheesy

grin grin grin grin

"Damn, niggar" is just a clown abeg. He's a fun guy

1 Like

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by sisisioge: 8:47pm On Oct 16, 2021
Read, listen to the news, watch movies, speak with well spoken people and read more. It is that simple.
Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by wonderr(m): 8:47pm On Oct 16, 2021
Speak always and don't feel ashamed when you are corrected

1 Like

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by khalhokage(m): 8:48pm On Oct 16, 2021
Consume more foreign English media, especially American and British.

What would help you most though, is reading, read for leisure, nothing will bolster your vocabulary and grammar better than reading.

2 Likes

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by Kylekent59: 8:48pm On Oct 16, 2021
Sapiosexuality:
Watch Nickelodeon.

I wanted to say this. You took it from my mouth.

Those laughing in the background makes it fun.

4 Likes

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by xangerar: 8:49pm On Oct 16, 2021
Listen to a lot of high rated English media. Not junkies.

I am proud to say I learnt English on radio, even as a rural dweller. I read old newspapers a lot. I could read one newspaper every day for two months until my uncle brings home another one.

Listen and read any interview granted by those oratorical public figures. There are people blessed with English oratory. I listened to Ibrahim Babangida, Professor Jerry Gana, Professor Wole Soyinka, Mr. Kofi Annan a lot those days. I listened and read their interviews keenly.

Of recent, Babatunde Raji Fashola and Adams Oshiomhole ticked that box of learnable, transferable and transmitable Anglo-oratorial eloquence for me. I can't skip any interview granted by these two, not just to know what they are saying but actually to take from that fluency they command.

Mehn, once you have the opportunity to speak, speak and don't run back to your more comfortable language.

Na wetin I dey try do with Pidgin English now, since I saw I needed to fill that gap too. Once I see anyone who speaks it well, I try to flow with him, instead of the Plain English I am already more comfortable with.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by Josephali(m): 8:49pm On Oct 16, 2021
Saneesk:
Nairalanders please i need suggestions as to how i can improve my ospoken English to absolute fluency.
As a student of English; look for interesting Novel, newspaper or Bible and always read outwardly, whenever you read, read outwardly pronounce every difficult word you found repeatedly it will help.
Another method is always speak in your mind if there's any mistake correct them before speaking out. Do this for 21days and they shall be improvement I promise.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by seyz91(m): 8:52pm On Oct 16, 2021
The question should be "HOW CAN YOU IMPROVE YOUR BANK ACCOUNT BALANCE"

who English epp? undecided

undecided undecided
Saneesk:

2 Likes

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by Gandollar(f): 8:52pm On Oct 16, 2021
omoadeleye:
Just give up bro, foundation matters when it comes to building, so that you can have a good structure...

Since, you were unable to build yourself from the foundation, while you were still young, how do you intend to have time to build your proficiency in English language now?

There won't be time and zeal for you to be following all these listed recommendations from everyone.

The thing is that, you don't need to stress yourself, just try and always converse in English while with people that speaks in English.

And don't be afraid of flubs or gbagaun while speaking and don't get upset anytime one oversyllabus is trying to correct you by mocking you or something, remember you are trying to learn and you will always make mistake, that means everything is going well and it will be fine.

And always try to type a long post anytime you want to type, just feel free to express yourself, it helps a lot.
Foundation Baba... It's key.

Even common James Hadley Chase we read those days helped us alot. That foundation is reason why private school owners are smiling to the bank.

But can the OP who's an adult have time for such?

2 Likes

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by Princeton92(m): 8:54pm On Oct 16, 2021
Good question well asked!!!
Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by musicwriter(m): 8:55pm On Oct 16, 2021
Saneesk:

The only way it could be done is by reading and writing. You must read lot of books. Read books by Chinua Achebe, Chimamanda Adiche and similar authors. Listen to the BBC but beware it could brainwash you at the same time. Finally, participate fully on Nairaland.

I can assist you with one book; how to speak and write correctly- by Joseph Devlin. If you need it, email: kemeticphilosophy@gmail

2 Likes

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by Shellsploit: 8:57pm On Oct 16, 2021
Watch mind your language tv sitcom
Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by vickydevoka(m): 8:59pm On Oct 16, 2021
anthonyuncle:
1. follow news, interviews, and educative programs on television.

2. surround yourself with people that enjoy having conversations in English.

3. watch the soap opera tinsel
Zee world nko
Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by bigjackass: 9:02pm On Oct 16, 2021
sundaygray:
Watch the big bang theory. grin
why the big bang theory
Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by Lexusgs430: 9:03pm On Oct 16, 2021
Saneesk:

Listen to British talk radio stations....... Get your pen, paper & dictionary handy........ smiley

1 Like

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by eventainment(m): 9:05pm On Oct 16, 2021
De watch white American film not black American movies add subtitle join
Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by cho25bc(f): 9:12pm On Oct 16, 2021
Saneesk:
If you are ib based, listen to freshfm 1059 on tuesdays at 3pm. There is a program airing there called mind your english. You can also reach out to the anchor to buy his english books. You can as well watch the live broadcast on facebook at that time.
If you cant do these, then watch american documentaries, movies, read more foreign books and join english-learning groups on fb.
I will recommend that you also watch more of cnn and bbc news channels.

2 Likes

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by Sleekfingers: 9:13pm On Oct 16, 2021
Saneesk:

Record and Listen to all buhari speeches. You will thank me later

1 Like

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by Herbephe1(m): 9:17pm On Oct 16, 2021
Download fani kayode interviews... that's the only meaningful thing you can get from him
Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by Kennyking1234: 9:19pm On Oct 16, 2021
Herbephe1:
Download fani kayode interviews... that's the only meaningful thing you can get from him
that guy sounds very good. He Nigerian accent is elite. Same as ojukwu Gowon and balawa
Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by purplekayc(m): 9:19pm On Oct 16, 2021
Read novels
Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by Yankee101: 9:19pm On Oct 16, 2021
Read, read read!!
Then speak, speak, speak!!
Reduce tv, dosent help. You can use youtube to learn how to pronounce what you have read

2 Likes

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by Karleb(m): 9:21pm On Oct 16, 2021
Watch English animations.

Make friends with people that don't understand your language, this will improve your English by force.

Give it time. The change you want can't be drastic, it might take a year or two.

3 Likes

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by adeniyi65(m): 9:22pm On Oct 16, 2021
Saneesk:
This piece is still working for me
1) read at least two pages of novel you choose everyday.take new vocabulary into consideration by checking their full meaning and examples and how it work with the context of the line you find it in your novel.(I even personally exhibit learning english from many write-ups of distinct nairalanders)
2) look for a chat buddy or friend that is already fluent in English that you can be starting conversation with him/her
3) search for lyrics of American music and take time to learn and absorb them.sing it like a pro.this is crazy,you will see how easy you adapt to there accent.
NOTE: I choose American accent against British accent because there own is easy to comprehend as they speak and they do speak in a funny way especially those negros.
Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by crafteck(m): 9:26pm On Oct 16, 2021
Stop watch zee world and nollywood, watch uk brain tasking ones

1 Like

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by sundaygray(m): 9:27pm On Oct 16, 2021
bigjackass:
why the big bang theory

The show has an extensive amount of vocabulary between the cast. The show centers around 5 guys who have an incredibly high IQ....Watching American or British movies in general will greatly improve your vocabulary, but the big bang theory is on another level. The level of grammar na something else, very well polished. You go google well well too. Give it a try if it won't be a burden for you.
Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by folake4u(f): 9:34pm On Oct 16, 2021
As funny as this might sound, watch cartoons (animated movies), the ones with subtitles.

They help with great accent and diction.

2 Likes

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by TuFab(f): 9:38pm On Oct 16, 2021
Hope you can speak your language fluently.
English is another man's, no need to be worried if you can't speak it like the owners.
Others like French, Spanish don't care so much about English the way we Africans do and they're cool with it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please, How Can I Improve My Spoken English? by adeniyi65(m): 9:38pm On Oct 16, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Visit NL often? NL with all the terrible grammar that Nigerians exhibit? Are you aware that people here in NL type "Am coming" for "I'm coming". Or "Are my late?" for "Am I late?"
Sir.check out our literature section and those articles on politics.you will have no option than to accept that we have quite lot of articulated speakers and writers here just as the number of average English expert (those you mentioned) is infinite.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Unizik Admission List / Private Universities In Nigeria / 8 Types Of Food For Broke University Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.