Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,482 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience (20769 Views)

Woman Stabs Her Relative On The Head With A Broken Bottle For Shaming Her Son / Woman Attacks, Strips Close Friend For Sleeping With Her Husband / Lady Laments After Her Close Friend Was Stabbed To Death In Abuja. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by clockwisereport: 1:05am On Oct 22, 2021
avrilwisedata:
But wait o, why u no kúkú read all the parts for the course? Na 512MB micro SD u bin dey use dat year? Hehehe... Quite sad. Betrayals from close ones could be painful.

My brain just knock. I read and read but the thing no green enter.
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by WispyEthereal: 1:42am On Oct 22, 2021
I have by an exes dad, and I didn't even get to do the do sef cry
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by bepositive11: 2:00am On Oct 22, 2021
Nlanalyst:
Reading through this thread https://www.nairaland.com/6812771/robbed-thieves-placed-palm-oil made me create this to narrate my own ordeal.

All fingers pointing to his friend. I don't think he should be carried away.

I had an experience one time although nothing fetish was involved.

Someone cleared my account and made away with my life savings running into 400k plus.
The guy was so smart but luck later ran out of him. First, he had been watching for a very long time as he had access to everything about me. I just lost my phone and I was using a small torch light phone then. Long and short, he registered for UBA Mobile banking on his phone and he had gotten my card details the day I begged him to borrow me his phone to pay for a stuff online. I didn't know he activated the screen recording and from there he got every of my card details. Shortly after, after he had activated the mobile banking. he transferred #350k to a paga agent and as God would have it the money hung in the air due to bad network. He went ahead to credit a newly created betting account with #120k. I have never indulged in betting all my life.

The next thing I saw in my inbox was a message from an unknown number telling me I will regret ever trying to drag babe with her. Which was really shocking as I can't remember ever stooping low to fight a fellow man because of a lady. I have never done that and will never do that, no insult intended please.
Turned out the message was to sway suspicion, to cause me to start imagining who could be targeting me because of a lady while the real culprit would remain unnoticed.
The guy most have waited all his life expecting the paga agent to receive the money that never entered.

The money was finally reversed to my account the next day which was when I saw my balance and saw that more than 100k was missing. What happened, was that, the guy that carried out this act had access to my phone and he deleted the alerts while I didn't suspect a thing. The other thing he did was that....

He went to the agent hours before doing the transaction. Requested for his details and told him he had transferred the money already. He waited for a while knowing fully well that he didn't do any transfer. The agent asked him to drop his number that he would call him when he finally sees the money. Mind you, this particular paga agent was in a different city from ours. It was after he returned home he now did the transaction and coincidentally the money truly hung in the air as he already lied. I Sha was credited the next day (Sunday) and to my utmost dismay, he was the very first person I narrated my ordeal to out of frustration and he still went ahead to tell me what to do while sympathizing with me and as well raining curses on whoever carried out the act. Not knowing he was the very person.

How he was busted.

I went to bank the next day being Monday and UBA was really helpful. They gave me the details of the paga agent and the manager was so concerned about my case that he personally decided to message the betting site himself. The tears in my red eyes and the catarrh in my nose plus the hiccups must have really driven him to no choice or perhaps it's just God. He asked me to go to a nearby police station and make reports that they will tell me what to do. While I got there and they were asking for bribes inspite of my situation I returned to him (the manager) out of frustration and he decided to cut corners for me. I sincerely don't know how he did it.
All I know is that he sent sportybet a message and he asked me to come back the next day. The next day, Tuesday, I was there and he said they haven't replied him. I even thought it was the usual gimmick to frustrate me into moving on. I went back there the next day Wednesday and to my greatest surprise, the details from the betting account into which my money was credited was staring at me on the computer screen of the manager. I didn't need anyone to tell me who the culprit was. I was even thinking someone probably created a parody account of this culprit so as to further sway suspicion. But it was real.

It was John, my roommate of 3 years, my supposed best friend of 13 years. We've shared everything together in between these years. A feel for friendship wanted to let me overlook the whole thing but then when I thought about what I would have lost if not for mercy of God and when I thought about how he would have feigned innocence if he wasn't caught and would have wasted my life savings feeding his betting addiction,I trashed the feels.

He was handed over to the police which was where he narrated his tactics.
It took like forever before Sporty bet could refund my money tho, I have even almost lost interest. I just kept bombarding their email with a reminder.

Share your own experience.

Unbelievable!!! Best friend of 13 years Omo! Did you see any warning signs beforehand that he wasn't loyal? Was this the first time he betrayed you?
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by bepositive11: 2:03am On Oct 22, 2021
prinx55555:
Never been scammed by a friend before.
I'm quite choosey and I don't have a lowlife in my circle.

How would you define lowlife? How do you know whether a person is a lowlife?

I thought that only having well established friends would prevent getting scammed but then I realized that there's no guarantee of anything. Even a person who has it all can lose it all

6 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by bepositive11: 2:04am On Oct 22, 2021
Polynek:
My kindred brother came to me and ask me guy make I see ur ATM weda na dsame size with mine, I smiled in my mind and bring it out, He crammed d 15 digit wen I was washing my clothes, He dropped d card and left.
He came back and asked me to give Him my fone to collect some movies, I Also smiled and give him, when He was done, he returned d fone, in d evening I went out to withdraw some cash, I remember wat happened and I decided to check my balance grin
Wen I checked, he has withdrawn 30k, grin I only flash Him and he called me 5 times in 2mins, I was jox smiling grin I didn't pick his call bcoz I wanted to test his fear, grin he called more than 5 times again and I picked up,
I asked him his where about he said is dea any problem grin, I told him to resend my 30k b4 1h if he doesn't want to get exposed, l know wat u did to me but I don't want to expose U but if u want to deny, I ll exposed you, and u must pay it grin He told me to calm down dat he will send it back d next day dat he has a serious problem.
He paid back instalmentally 10k twice and I told him to forget d remaining 10k bcox he was still schooling den, I understand his condition, but warned him never to scam a close person again. He is doing well now in scamming grin

Sometimes we think that we're being understanding but what we don't realise is that we're actually enabling the bad behaviour of other people

6 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by bepositive11: 2:06am On Oct 22, 2021
arthurwillia:
Lol people will say how they were scammed by relatives or best friend but will never say how they also Scammed relatives too. We are all scammers.

1 na my pastor first scam me, I wanted to move out of the East about 2 years ago, so I wanted to sell all my properties, I’ve seen buyer oo that’s how my pastor said he wants to buy some, being my pastor in the lord now, I gave him a lot of discount, he paid part of it and said he will transfer the rest later..

Two years now pastor Mathew no send me my remaining 10k ooo, he’s not even picking my calls again, chai I lost faith in pastors

2 well I almost scammed my best friend by almost collecting one of his maga but with the hope that I will tell him later, and we can still use that Avenue to collect more money from the woman, but alas it didn’t work and it spoilt our relationship but then, we made up and we still real gees..

So we are all scammers op tell people to say how they scam others too

Are you a scammer? I'm not. Not all are scammers. Don't assume that everyone is one because you are one

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by bepositive11: 2:08am On Oct 22, 2021
alhaji04:

Thank u for dis. Nobody holy pass.

Yes, we're not perfect but it's wrong to say that everyone is a scammer. Do you steal people's hard earned money? Does everyone steal other people's hard earned money? Of course not!

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by bepositive11: 2:11am On Oct 22, 2021
Calitoscassius:
Scammed? My step brother lives in my mansion with his wife and kids since 2014, he refused to move out, refused to hand over the mansion's document and other properties of mine that he changed the ownerships to his name. All is because i wanted him to help me in buidling these houses which I gave him all the money for and his wife is driving my Range Rover i shipped from the UK myself..

We have been quarreling over these properties since 2014. Everything i did for him and his wife and kids he still had the mind to take over my properties.

I read the latter comment as well. Your mother is enabling his bad behaviour. If you really want to get through to him, let him deal with the consequences of his actions accordingly

You should be conscious of your safety though is you should take that route. Only God knows what that man is capable of. Men like him can be very wicked

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by bepositive11: 2:12am On Oct 22, 2021
vinexe:
I can't never forget what happened to me in 2016..... in the pursue of traveling abroad.... it is a heartbreak story ….. I stumbled on this woman called joy she is a winners chapels member...… it was a friend that give me her contact then . and this lady stay in Abuja she told me that they can get a job for me in Canada cues I am in to industrial maintenance engineering... but I need to paid for the registration fees 20k . I said ok she send me her acct number I sent 20k for her...… after some weeks she called me requested for 30k that I should send it with my passport number... I send the 30k for her... this woman later called me to informed me that I need to come to Abuja for my biometric and other things and I also need to paid for my fight ticket and my bta to Canada, is my responsibility to take care of it … she told me to come to Abuja on the 16 of April 2016... but I need to send the total of 370k …. I said ok I call the person that directed me to her she said she traveled … that I should do what ever she told me to do .. she said by next month I will be traveling out of Nigeria.....I was very happy to hear this I don't know that the are working hand to hand . I began to sorts for money . then I have a Bajaj machine I bought about 120k , I started looking for a buyer at the end I managed to sold it 80k I said in my mind since I will be traveling out there is know need for me to keep the machine..so I send the 370k to her making it 420k total I have sent to her.... 3 days to 16 of April she called me asking me if I have a place to stay at Abuja I said know she said I need to paid for a hotel at least 2days she told me that were about 6 in number that is traveling to Canada that were going to meet each other in Abuja ... she said she can paid it for me cues all of us need to stay in one hotel … she said the hotel will cost about 22k by then i began to have bubbled mind make this thing no be scam ooo oh God help me... after i encouraged my self that I will be in Abuja by 3 days time to see every thing by my self... i send the 22kevery thing is now 442k... she send me address to come to Abuja gwagwrada presidential villa.... i enter bus from Lagos to Abuja . call Mrs. joy informed her that am on my way to Abuja she said ok when i get to park i should call her she will come and pick me .... i get to Abuja i called this woman number the number is switch off .. i keep on calling her but is not going through i stayed in Abuja for about 4 days calling this woman the number is not going i called the person that directed me to her the person said that she is not in the town maybe the woman have battery low.. i ask this person have battery for 3 days the next thing she cut the call and her number went off... I spend about 60k with my transportation to and FRO and hotel in Abuja. before i finally come back to Lagos.. i have lot every thing i have .. i am 28 years as of 2016 i want to killed my self i don't come outside for about 3days crying.. the next 4days i went to the bank were i usually send the money from i explained everything to the manager .. the manager ask me to give him the acct num which i did .. after every thing he told me that the person that have the acct is in delta state .... but for them to help me that i need to bring police report for them to see what they can do for me .... i went to police station after every thing i paid some money to them i was given police repot i go along with the receipt of the all transfer i made to the woman ..... so i took it to the bank so the manager told me that after they have finished what they want to do . i need to paid in 100k in to the acct so that the person will go to bank to withdraw the money and she will arrested on attempt to withdraw... i told the man that i don't have any money with me again ..... i went back to the police station and tell them what the manager said ... they told me not to send any money to the acct ... that the person will suspect that this is a planed work ….. the ask me to paid them 50k that the will do the job and i will get back my money.... i said ok let me go and look for money for them... na so i take run run run ...... and didn't return............... till today the number is not going through ..

Unbelievable! Some people can be very heartless!

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by bepositive11: 2:13am On Oct 22, 2021
ElGood:
Here is the picture of a Facebook friend that is into farm produces supply business that scammed me ($444) 172k in June 2020.
We become friend on Facebook as a result of farm produces advert I shared and also comment on some related posts . I felt I could trust him, because we have discussed business severally and shared farm produces information and have tried to connect buyer with sellers.
Between late May and early June 2020 he introduced me to a loan company from vietnam own by one Mr Rudrigo, that I can access loan to expand my business, but I will pay a fee to access the loan. He told me that the vietnam company employed him as one of their Nigeria agent and he has done export supply with Mr Rudrigo before and Mr Rudrigo told him about his loan company and the opportunity for young people like him will benefit. So I asked him why haven't you apply for the loan, he said the company is already processing his own loan for him and he has paid his own loan fee. So i stupidly felt for his trick and applied for $20k loan with interest of 3% to be pay back in 4years.
He technically did not allow me to send the loan payment fee into his account as their Nigeria agent rather introduce one of their agent called miracle and she is the one processing his own loan. So I made the payment of naira equivalent of $444 in tranches of the loan fee into miracles FCMB account. After making the payment miracle claimed that she didn't receive payment alert. I went to my bank and her bank to lay a complain and her bank FCMB confirmed that the transaction was successful and the money has been withdrawn by the owner of the account. So it became cleared to me that I was scammed. Miracle stop picking my calls. Already there was communication established between me, Henry who introduced me to the loan and Mr Rudrigo on Telegram, so both Henry and Mr Rudrigo bring in Micheal a prison officer to trace and arrest miracle and a picture was sent to me showing Micheal has arrested miracle in a court room setting. . FCMB place PND on the account I paid the loan fee and no feedback from fcmb till date.
Henry was forming innocent about what happened Mr Rodrigo deleted all our chats on Telegram. So I just try and lick my wound and move on. Currently I have lost all the evidence of chats and communication that occurred in that period because the HTC I was using then was stolen in Keke in the month of July 2020.

I want to share his picture here for people to be careful in dealing with him. He belong to a gang of fraudster.

Golden rule. If you need to pay to get a loan, it's a scam

9 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by Olukunle62(m): 2:25am On Oct 22, 2021
Polynek:
My kindred brother came to me and ask me guy make I see ur ATM weda na dsame size with mine, I smiled in my mind and bring it out, He crammed d 15 digit wen I was washing my clothes, He dropped d card and left.
He came back and asked me to give Him my fone to collect some movies, I Also smiled and give him, when He was done, he returned d fone, in d evening I went out to withdraw some cash, I remember wat happened and I decided to check my balance grin
Wen I checked, he has withdrawn 30k, grin I only flash Him and he called me 5 times in 2mins, I was jox smiling grin I didn't pick his call bcoz I wanted to test his fear, grin he called more than 5 times again and I picked up,
I asked him his where about he said is dea any problem grin, I told him to resend my 30k b4 1h if he doesn't want to get exposed, l know wat u did to me but I don't want to expose U but if u want to deny, I ll exposed you, and u must pay it grin He told me to calm down dat he will send it back d next day dat he has a serious problem.
He paid back instalmentally 10k twice and I told him to forget d remaining 10k bcox he was still schooling den, I understand his condition, but warned him never to scam a close person again. He is doing well now in scamming grin
That means say the scamming stuff don dey him blood be dat if he is doing well

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by Kayw4re(m): 2:40am On Oct 22, 2021
Polynek:

Thief no dey thief Thief na. grin grin
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by dalass(f): 2:46am On Oct 22, 2021
Lordofalmajiri:

Including your darling daddy
cheesy grin
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by Polynek(m): 3:11am On Oct 22, 2021
Kayw4re:

Thief no dey thief Thief na. grin grin
Exactly nal grin
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by Polynek(m): 3:12am On Oct 22, 2021
bepositive11:

Sometimes we think that we're being understanding but what we don't realise is that we're actually enabling the bad behaviour of other people
I never encouraged Him to Sir, He is an adult He knows wat is right and wrong
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by Polynek(m): 3:13am On Oct 22, 2021
Waleprotocol:

Na the ending na him kill your story
No need to b economical with the truth nal, grin
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by Polynek(m): 3:13am On Oct 22, 2021
bigcee:

He has taken scamming to another level. Na EFCC go soon reason his matter grin grin grin
grin grin D guy don G full time now grin
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by Polynek(m): 3:14am On Oct 22, 2021
Lilsameey:
,..Lmaoooo, the bolded grin
grin grin Wat else do u want me to say grin He is doing well oo grin
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by Doyou2019: 4:26am On Oct 22, 2021
Uncle96:
Very deep
In Kanye's voice : Real Friends : How many of us
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by TheRealOwner(m): 4:28am On Oct 22, 2021
vinexe:
I can't never forget what happened to me in 2016..... in the pursue of traveling abroad.... it is a heartbreak story ….. I stumbled on this woman called joy she is a winners chapels member...… it was a friend that give me her contact then . and this lady stay in Abuja she told me that they can get a job for me in Canada cues I am in to industrial maintenance engineering... but I need to paid for the registration fees 20k . I said ok she send me her acct number I sent 20k for her...… after some weeks she called me requested for 30k that I should send it with my passport number... I send the 30k for her... this woman later called me to informed me that I need to come to Abuja for my biometric and other things and I also need to paid for my fight ticket and my bta to Canada, is my responsibility to take care of it … she told me to come to Abuja on the 16 of April 2016... but I need to send the total of 370k …. I said ok I call the person that directed me to her she said she traveled … that I should do what ever she told me to do .. she said by next month I will be traveling out of Nigeria.....I was very happy to hear this I don't know that the are working hand to hand . I began to sorts for money . then I have a Bajaj machine I bought about 120k , I started looking for a buyer at the end I managed to sold it 80k I said in my mind since I will be traveling out there is know need for me to keep the machine..so I send the 370k to her making it 420k total I have sent to her.... 3 days to 16 of April she called me asking me if I have a place to stay at Abuja I said know she said I need to paid for a hotel at least 2days she told me that were about 6 in number that is traveling to Canada that were going to meet each other in Abuja ... she said she can paid it for me cues all of us need to stay in one hotel … she said the hotel will cost about 22k by then i began to have bubbled mind make this thing no be scam ooo oh God help me... after i encouraged my self that I will be in Abuja by 3 days time to see every thing by my self... i send the 22kevery thing is now 442k... she send me address to come to Abuja gwagwrada presidential villa.... i enter bus from Lagos to Abuja . call Mrs. joy informed her that am on my way to Abuja she said ok when i get to park i should call her she will come and pick me .... i get to Abuja i called this woman number the number is switch off .. i keep on calling her but is not going through i stayed in Abuja for about 4 days calling this woman the number is not going i called the person that directed me to her the person said that she is not in the town maybe the woman have battery low.. i ask this person have battery for 3 days the next thing she cut the call and her number went off... I spend about 60k with my transportation to and FRO and hotel in Abuja. before i finally come back to Lagos.. i have lot every thing i have .. i am 28 years as of 2016 i want to killed my self i don't come outside for about 3days crying.. the next 4days i went to the bank were i usually send the money from i explained everything to the manager .. the manager ask me to give him the acct num which i did .. after every thing he told me that the person that have the acct is in delta state .... but for them to help me that i need to bring police report for them to see what they can do for me .... i went to police station after every thing i paid some money to them i was given police repot i go along with the receipt of the all transfer i made to the woman ..... so i took it to the bank so the manager told me that after they have finished what they want to do . i need to paid in 100k in to the acct so that the person will go to bank to withdraw the money and she will arrested on attempt to withdraw... i told the man that i don't have any money with me again ..... i went back to the police station and tell them what the manager said ... they told me not to send any money to the acct ... that the person will suspect that this is a planed work ….. the ask me to paid them 50k that the will do the job and i will get back my money.... i said ok let me go and look for money for them... na so i take run run run ...... and didn't return............... till today the number is not going through ..

cry This was so sad to read. I hope you are doing better now bro. May your hustles pick up and may you bounce back fully cry cry

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by biafrasun: 4:30am On Oct 22, 2021
oluwaseyi0:
I once set some huge money to my bro to setup a POS business, rent or construct a shop how till now I don't know what happen to the money

Nothing I sent him was implemented

What of you that usually scam nairalanders of theianity, one can hardly read your political posts and not temporarily go mad and loose their sanity

You try compensating in sport section but it's just like conceding 10 goals and scoring 1 goal consolation
don't him abi her, they're the best scamer in this nairaland.
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by NACE13: 5:23am On Oct 22, 2021
winterlover:
I actually did take 4k from my friends ATM years ago to fund my nairabet account. I was very ashamed of what I did. I apologized and moved on. I felt real bad. I'm human and could make mistakes. We learn from our mistakes. My friend had unfriended me already me since we left school. I miss him so much but that's how life works. Maybe we weren't just meant to be together. I have made newer friends and have never ever thought of taking their cash.
Sincerely, no one's perfect

Bro, with all sincerity, You fvcked up and you should just accept it because you betrayed your friend for just 4k, meaning you could do more than that, if given the chance.

Don't try to use emotions to make it look like your ex-friend did a terrible thing to you by unfriending and avoiding you. There's a difference between a mistake and intention blown side ways. Yours wasn't a mistake because you deliberately did it and probably got caught.

It is what it is.

13 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by Oyerinde16(m): 5:56am On Oct 22, 2021
Mine was back then in school around 2008, I was hard working, missing classes just to make ends meet, My guy Sunday tot I had so Much money and decided to run me street, he planned with another guy to tell me they both could not complete their fees, I was like but Sunday, your bro is a big boy banker, Sunday lied that his bro did not give him money, his friend who I know as a casual friend said his own mother was sick, reasons for shortage of fees, out of my hard earned saving, I borrowed each of them #20k each, what they both requested for, they promised to pay but weeks turned into months, cos I was missing lectures to work, my Cgp was dropping, Sunday was pulling away, one day I just involved school security, got the other guy arrested, since I was shy of arresting my best friend Sunday in school, people will wonder what type of friends we were I could not help, but when security interrogated Charles in my presence, he spilled the beans, telling them its Sunday that told him all what to say, he said he had paid his school fees before they came to borrow the money, he told them he warned Sunday hope it will not backfire and Sunday assured him, it won't, he said Sunday often told him to forget it that it was gone, the Hausa security guys were very happy and wanted to show the school they were working, they swiftly picked up Sunday, he tried to deny, but after realising Charles had given him away, he confessed that he saw I had too much money and just wanted to collect small. I had only #42k yet Gave them #20k each so they don't miss, I failed several courses cos I missed test, assignments and group presentations just to survive, This same Sunday I spent so Much on, helped during exams, wrote carry overs for, yet he ran me street. They paid the money in bits till I told them to stop, then I became more careful.

13 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by akigbemaru: 6:27am On Oct 22, 2021
Nlanalyst:
Reading through this thread https://www.nairaland.com/6812771/robbed-thieves-placed-palm-oil made me create this to narrate my own ordeal.

All fingers pointing to his friend. I don't think he should be carried away.

I had an experience one time although nothing fetish was involved.

Someone cleared my account and made away with my life savings running into 400k plus.
The guy was so smart but luck later ran out of him. First, he had been watching for a very long time as he had access to everything about me. I just lost my phone and I was using a small torch light phone then. Long and short, he registered for UBA Mobile banking on his phone and he had gotten my card details the day I begged him to borrow me his phone to pay for a stuff online. I didn't know he activated the screen recording and from there he got every of my card details. Shortly after, after he had activated the mobile banking. he transferred #350k to a paga agent and as God would have it the money hung in the air due to bad network. He went ahead to credit a newly created betting account with #120k. I have never indulged in betting all my life.

The next thing I saw in my inbox was a message from an unknown number telling me I will regret ever trying to drag babe with her. Which was really shocking as I can't remember ever stooping low to fight a fellow man because of a lady. I have never done that and will never do that, no insult intended please.
Turned out the message was to sway suspicion, to cause me to start imagining who could be targeting me because of a lady while the real culprit would remain unnoticed.
The guy most have waited all his life expecting the paga agent to receive the money that never entered.

The money was finally reversed to my account the next day which was when I saw my balance and saw that more than 100k was missing. What happened, was that, the guy that carried out this act had access to my phone and he deleted the alerts while I didn't suspect a thing. The other thing he did was that....

He went to the agent hours before doing the transaction. Requested for his details and told him he had transferred the money already. He waited for a while knowing fully well that he didn't do any transfer. The agent asked him to drop his number that he would call him when he finally sees the money. Mind you, this particular paga agent was in a different city from ours. It was after he returned home he now did the transaction and coincidentally the money truly hung in the air as he already lied. I Sha was credited the next day (Sunday) and to my utmost dismay, he was the very first person I narrated my ordeal to out of frustration and he still went ahead to tell me what to do while sympathizing with me and as well raining curses on whoever carried out the act. Not knowing he was the very person.

How he was busted.

I went to bank the next day being Monday and UBA was really helpful. They gave me the details of the paga agent and the manager was so concerned about my case that he personally decided to message the betting site himself. The tears in my red eyes and the catarrh in my nose plus the hiccups must have really driven him to no choice or perhaps it's just God. He asked me to go to a nearby police station and make reports that they will tell me what to do. While I got there and they were asking for bribes inspite of my situation I returned to him (the manager) out of frustration and he decided to cut corners for me. I sincerely don't know how he did it.
All I know is that he sent sportybet a message and he asked me to come back the next day. The next day, Tuesday, I was there and he said they haven't replied him. I even thought it was the usual gimmick to frustrate me into moving on. I went back there the next day Wednesday and to my greatest surprise, the details from the betting account into which my money was credited was staring at me on the computer screen of the manager. I didn't need anyone to tell me who the culprit was. I was even thinking someone probably created a parody account of this culprit so as to further sway suspicion. But it was real.

It was John, my roommate of 3 years, my supposed best friend of 13 years. We've shared everything together in between these years. A feel for friendship wanted to let me overlook the whole thing but then when I thought about what I would have lost if not for mercy of God and when I thought about how he would have feigned innocence if he wasn't caught and would have wasted my life savings feeding his betting addiction,I trashed the feels.

He was handed over to the police which was where he narrated his tactics.
It took like forever before Sporty bet could refund my money tho, I have even almost lost interest. I just kept bombarding their email with a reminder.

Share your own experience.
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by vinexe: 6:46am On Oct 22, 2021
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by vinexe: 6:58am On Oct 22, 2021
TheRealOwner:

cry This was so sad to read. I hope you are doing better now bro. May your hustles pick up and may you bounce back fully cry cry
my man thanks for ur concern i thank almighty God .. this thing later send me parking out from Lagos i lost about 500k .. i went back to the village cues i cant cope again my house rent expired my job is not stable... i went back to the village in 2016 ending i stay at the village till 2020... before i finally come back to Lagos to start life again …

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by Nlanalyst: 7:06am On Oct 22, 2021
bepositive11:

Unbelievable!!! Best friend of 13 years Omo! Did you see any warning signs beforehand that he wasn't loyal? Was this the first time he betrayed you?
That was his first time honestly which added to why I was so surprised.
He has just become an addicted gambler, I think that is what killed his conscience.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by arthurwillia(m): 7:07am On Oct 22, 2021
avrilwisedata:
Speak for yourself. You are a scammer and you will definitely defraud people when the opportunity presents itself.

Lol ode
Holy pass holy pass
Swear say your a$$ never defraud person before
Ode
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by arthurwillia(m): 7:08am On Oct 22, 2021
Yankee101:
Thieves assume everyone is a thief

No ode , like it or not you are a thief one way or the other
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed By A Close Friend Or Relative? Share Your Experience by arthurwillia(m): 7:09am On Oct 22, 2021
bepositive11:

Are you a scammer? I'm not. Not all are scammers. Don't assume that everyone is one because you are one

Taaa comot there, swear In your life you never defrauded someone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2 Nigerians, 6 Others Arrested For Stealing $15 Million From US Firms / Confessions Of Shina Rambo,former Notorious Armed Robber And Killer / Four NSCDC Officers Kidnapped In Kogi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.