Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,581 members, 7,837,190 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. (1357 Views)

This Is The Real Definition Of The Word 'LOVE' / The Meaning Of The Word "Love Me For Who I Am" / What It Really Means When A Lady Uses The Word "Dear" On You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Hintona(f): 4:26pm On Oct 25, 2021
I was confused on whether to post this here or in the culture section. But I finally decided to post it here.

The word love according to the European interpretation is not found in the Ibo vocabulary. The nearest approach to the idea of love is "ifun'anya" ("to look in the eye" ) in a favourable manner. The verb "to hate" is constantly in use, and there is an expression "to look" which implies the reverse of love.

Does this mean ancient ibos were incapable of love or they didn't place much value on it? I also read somewhere that they valued friendship more than romantic love.

5 Likes

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Holumhidey(m): 4:28pm On Oct 25, 2021
Na mumu dey love grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Holumhidey(m): 4:29pm On Oct 25, 2021
Hintona:
I was confused on whether to post this here or in the culture section. But I finally decided to post it here.

Does this mean ancient ibos were incapable of love or they didn't place much value on it? I also read somewhere that they valued friendship more than romantic love.

Babe E don tey oo
long time!!!
Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by fourboys: 4:29pm On Oct 25, 2021
Love na scam... Our forefathers saw it coming embarassed embarassed embarassed

7 Likes

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Ayion: 4:30pm On Oct 25, 2021
cool

4 Likes

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Hintona(f): 4:30pm On Oct 25, 2021
Holumhidey:

Babe E don tey oo
long time!!!

Aren't you Yoruba?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Holumhidey(m): 4:51pm On Oct 25, 2021
Hintona:

Aren't you Yoruba?
Of course I am

Why do you ask?

1 Like

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Kastonkastroll(m): 5:01pm On Oct 25, 2021
Well am not surprised. Look at ipob, those terrorists are incapable of showing love to anybody because they dont know what love is.

3 Likes

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Kobicove(m): 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2021
Hintona:

You're not even one of us to start with, if you were then you should know the correct word is "Igbo" and not "Ibo"! undecided

4 Likes

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Hintona(f): 5:49pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobicove:

You're not even one of us to start with, if you were then you should know the correct word is "Igbo" and not "Ibo"! undecided

I quoted it from a book though. In the title I put Igbo
Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Queenslander(f): 5:58pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobicove:

Damn, her ignorance is freakishly anomalous..

Although it would be wrong to get wrapped up in petty jibes here. Buh the yoruba's long-standing ' holier than thou ' attitude on Igbo affairs is baffling..

2 Likes

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Queenslander(f): 6:02pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kastonkastroll:
Well am not surprised. Look at ipob, those terrorists are incapable of showing love to anybody because they dont know what love is.

A fool is one who does not know, and does not know that he does not know!!

2 Likes

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by elipheleh(m): 1:03pm On Oct 26, 2021
That is their way.
Una Yoruba carrying hates to another new level.
And to think she took time to explain s language she doesn't even understand and spew complete trash.

For all to know. Igbo have a word for love and it is "ifu na anya". To all young Igbo children here. Know the word. Don't let any idiot confuse you. Your Tribe has a fantastic word for love = "IFU NA ANYA" or "IHU NA ANYA"

Every language on earth has conjoined words. For example in English language, one can say do you "under stand me"
Does it then mean English does not recognize that word just because it is a combination of different unrelated words?

Yorubas and hate filled holier than thou attitudes ehnn. To think that she slept and thought of a way to berate and insult a tribe when they have not provoked her is baffling

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by numericalguy(m): 1:10pm On Oct 26, 2021
The Yeebos were born and raised with hatred. Which is why they have hatred for everyone around them.

The yeebos are not capable of showing love because they grew in hate. Even at work, they spread hatred and disunity within the office environment.

4 Likes

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Bwilliam(m): 6:20pm On Oct 26, 2021
This is how the Europeans termed us Savages, we whose culture and traditions are 1000yrs older than theirs.

IFU NA ANYA" or "IHU NA ANYA" can be roughly translated to mean " Behold you with my minds eye", and I think that's ducking deep.

There are a lot of tribes that learned to love and take care of their women by emulating the Igbo men.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Nobody: 6:28pm On Oct 26, 2021
It means us Igbo women are not meant to love anybody. Keep shattering hearts.
Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Hintona(f): 9:34pm On Oct 26, 2021
elipheleh:
That is their way.
Una Yoruba carrying hates to another new level.
And to think she took time to explain s language she doesn't even understand and spew complete trash.

For all to know. Igbo have a word for love and it is "ifu na anya". To all young Igbo children here. Know the word. Don't let any idiot confuse you. Your Tribe has a fantastic word for love = "IFU NA ANYA" or "IHU NA ANYA"

Every language on earth has conjoined words. For example in English language, one can say do you "under stand me"
Does it then mean English does not recognize that word just because it is a combination of different unrelated words?

Yorubas and hate filled holier than thou attitudes ehnn. To think that she slept and thought of a way to berate and insult a tribe when they have not provoked her is baffling

I'm not trying to insult the Igbos. I only quoted what I saw in a history book from the 1930s.

1 Like

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Hintona(f): 9:36pm On Oct 26, 2021
Bwilliam:
This is how the Europeans termed us Savages, we whose culture and traditions are 1000yrs older than theirs.

IFU NA ANYA" or "IHU NA ANYA" can be roughly translated to mean " Behold you with my minds eye", and I think that's ducking deep.

There are a lot of tribes that learned to love and take care of their women by emulating the Igbo men.

Yeah, it is deep.
Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Nonexisting1: 9:49pm On Oct 26, 2021
fourboys:
Love na scam... Our forefathers saw it coming embarassed embarassed embarassed
I once had this thought but after carefully observing my parents and their love life, I changed my thought. Love existed before until oloshos abandoned brothels and entered homes as wives. Do you know that till date, my father can not have supper without my mother eating with him. My mother still take lunch to my father at his cement shop because she knows he can not eat anything outside except snacks. Till my mother retired, my father would always drive her to school before going to his shop and everyone called my father big man businessman upon say he no get shishi just because he never opened his shop on time.

1 Like

Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by SILENTandSMART2: 10:13pm On Oct 26, 2021
Wtf you tryin' to be tribalist right? You mean we Igbo boys don't love our women , nigga get sense i suppose curse you in Igbo language self , the most caring and lovable men are Igbo , respect yourself OP ....
Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by Kobojunkie: 10:39pm On Oct 26, 2021
Hintona:
The word love according to the European interpretation is not found in the Ibo vocabulary. The nearest approach to the idea of love is "ifun'anya" ("to look in the eye" ) in a favourable manner. The verb "to hate" is constantly in use, and there is an expression "to look" which implies the reverse of love.
I believe the statement in bold is the culprit of issue. Why a European interpretation of the word love? I mean it isn't the case that the Ibo language is somehow rooted from any European language, so why this expectation to begin with? undecided

The Ibo phrase "ifun nanya" is the ibo word that closely translates to the European word "love". undecided
Re: The Word "Love" Is Not In The Igbo Vocabulary. by EraseTheDot: 9:42am On Oct 29, 2021
Hintona:

I personally find this intriguing.
It'd generate massive interests in politics section. Try post it there. Do well to post it there.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Have Slept With Over 1000 Men – Popular Hookup Girl Reveals / What You Need To Know About Females With Male Besties / My Roommate Threatened To Kill Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.