Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,137 members, 7,814,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross (60414 Views)

Capt. Bala Shagari: Buhari And IBB Forced Me Out Of Military / Capt. Jonathan Polit Dies In Accident (pics) / Buhari Celebrates 80th Birthday Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 31, 2021
"A rare photo of a Diviner, Alaafin of Oyo & the almost legendary Capt. William A Ross. Who helped Alaafin of Oyo gain prominence again as paramount ruler of Yorubas- He was resident of Oyo 1914-1931. Ross was a friend of Alaafin Ladigbolu I. See how organized the palace is?"

81 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 31, 2021
Yoruba civilization is the best, Omo see culture and greatness in one picture.

If I'm not Yoruba, I will be jealous of them.

404 Likes 38 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by IgweOfNnewi: 1:14pm On Oct 31, 2021
Great

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 31, 2021
Mynd44 FP

6 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by sammybest889(m): 1:15pm On Oct 31, 2021
wait ooo in d other side of the picture...is it not a white man am see their seating on one of d chiefpalace chairs

wow so dis White men has been extorting us since time memorial anyway I have nothing 2 say....BT going by history I once heard DAT
..d Alaafin, or The Owner of the Palace in the Yoruba
language, is the title of an emperor of the medieval Oyo
empire down to dis present-day how true is dat

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Okutanla1: 1:46pm On Oct 31, 2021
The Great Oyo Empire.

76 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by LegendHero(m): 2:01pm On Oct 31, 2021
Oyo Alaafin.
Ojo pa sekere omo atiba
Oyo nipe kolowo ko gbowo
Oni koni iwofa gba tire
Ase kole ba di’ja, ko le ba daapon
Komo oba le ri ‘n muje
Oyo gbin agbado oran seyinkule elenkule
Elenkule o gbodo faatu, be ni ko si gbodo faaya.

186 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by bcomputer101: 2:15pm On Oct 31, 2021
This is the beauty of Yoruba culture. I could vividly remember those early 90's when Obi of Onisha and Oba of Benni used to come for fatherly and elderly advice in the palace of Alaafin of Oyo.

Kabiyesi ooooo

160 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by revived: 2:21pm On Oct 31, 2021
Soft pics

All of them men for that pics go dun die now

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by LegendHero(m): 2:26pm On Oct 31, 2021
Firroda:

As a yoruba boy who can read and write in Yoruba, I find that very painful to read, had to read very very slowly to comprehend. Oyinbo culture don finish us

Let me translate it for you. I don’t know ami ohun much like that which explained why you might not understand it well. Also, I used a proper Oyo dialect.

—Oyo Alaafin (Oyo, the descendant of the Alaafin)
—Ojo pa sekere omo atiba (Rain must not beat sekere, Son of Atiba)
—Oyo nipe kolowo ko gbowo (Oyo said the creditor should collect his money)
—Oni koni iwofa gba tire (He also went to tell the debtor (Iwofa - a system where people use their family as collateral to borrow money) not to pay his debt)
—Ase kole ba di’ja, ko le ba daapon (Not knowing that the reason why Oyo did this is so that fight can happen)
—Komo oba le ri ‘n muje (So the prince can eat)
—Oyo gbin agbado oran seyinkule elenkule (Oyo planted a wicked mystery maize/corn of trouble at another man's backyard)
—Elenkule o gbodo faatu, be ni ko si gbodo faaya (The owner must not uproot it, and he must not shred it)
__Omo iku, tiku kogbódò pa
(child of death who death cannot kill)
----Omo Arun, tarun kogbódò see
(child of pestilence who cannot be tied down by sickness)
----Omo Ofo, tofo kogbódò see(child of calamity whom calamity can't afflict )

All this eulogy of Oyo is just showing the empire might. Imagine planting a corn/maize of trouble at the back of one’s compound and telling him not to uproot it nor shred it. Like you’re showing your might and power over them.

205 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by 9figxchnge: 2:41pm On Oct 31, 2021
Omg good to see this

11 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by seunmsg(m): 3:10pm On Oct 31, 2021
Beautiful. So proud to be a Yoruba man with royal blood. No wonder the other side with little or no history or early civilization are always jealous and hateful of everything about the south west.

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 3:21pm On Oct 31, 2021
LegendHero:

Let me translate it for you. I don’t know ami ohun much like that which explained why you might not understand it well. Also, I used a proper Oyo dialect.

—Oyo Alaafin (Oyo decendant of the Alaafin)
—Ojo pa sekere omo atiba (Rain must not beat sekere Son of Atiba)
—Oni koni iwofa gba tire (He also went to tell the debtor (Iwofa - a system where people use their family as collateral to borrow money) not to pay his debt)
—Ase kole ba di’ja, ko le ba daapon (Not knowing that the reason why Oyo did this is so that fight can happen)
—Oyo gbin agbado oran seyinkule elenkule (Oyo planted a wicked mystery maize/corn of trouble at another man's backyard)
—Elenkule o gbodo faatu, be ni ko si gbodo faaya (The owner must not uproot it, and he must not shred it)
(child of death who cannot die)
----Omo Ofo, tofo kogbódò see(child of calamity whom calamity can't afflict)

All this eulogy of Oyo is just showing the empire might. Imagine planting a bad maize at the back of one’s compound and telling him not to uproot it nor shred it. Like you’re showing your might and power over them.

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by LegendHero(m): 3:26pm On Oct 31, 2021
SlyDev:

Thanks bro. You put it better.

I forgot the last three lines. Let me update it.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by thundafire: 4:01pm On Oct 31, 2021
Firroda:

As a yoruba boy who can read and write in Yoruba, I find that very painful to read, had to read very very slowly to comprehend. Oyinbo culture don finish us
shut up ur mouth how did Oyibo finish us all this nonsense force down our throats by our useless politicians and u believe. Did they stop Nigeria from developing abi na our people dey steal go outside.

If not for Oyibo will U be using Handsets or know about Android abi u for the Alaafin house as sacrificial ram wen him die. Travel out and compare ur country to the Oyibo then u will know that they have strong institution and not rubber-stamped as we have here

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Sammy07: 4:05pm On Oct 31, 2021
LegendHero:

—Oyo Alaafin (Oyo, the descendant of the Alaafin)
—Ojo pa sekere omo atiba (Rain must not beat sekere, Son of Atiba)
(child of death who death cannot kill)
----Omo Ofo, tofo kogbódò see(child of calamity whom calamity can't afflict )

All this eulogy of Oyo is just showing the empire might. Imagine planting a bad maize at the back of one’s compound and telling him not to uproot it nor shred it. Like you’re showing your might and power over them.

You tried, you're doing well grin

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 31, 2021
Oyo

Ilu Alafin

6 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 31, 2021
Okutanla1:
The Great Oyo Empire.
This is beautiful.

Is this also Oba Alaafin Ladigbolu I?

18 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by 7lives: 4:20pm On Oct 31, 2021
thundafire:
shut up ur mouth how did Oyibo finish us all this nonsense force down our throats by our useless politicians and u believe. Did they stop Nigeria from developing abi na our people dey steal go outside.

If not for Oyibo will U be using Handsets or know about Android abi u for the Alaafin house as sacrificial ram wen him die. Travel out and compare ur country to the Oyibo then u will know that they have strong institution and not rubber-stamped as we have here

Is this why he should shut up his mouth?.
Mods this guy just broke a rule.
Let thunder fire his fingers.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by BKayy: 4:24pm On Oct 31, 2021
SlyDev:
Yoruba civilization is the best, Omo see culture and greatness in one picture.

If I'm not Yoruba, I will be jealous of them.
The picture is from early 20th century (after Amalgamation).
By then, Igbo businessmen have started developing estates in Lagos.

By the way, I never knew we would get to a level when Yorubas will start celebrating what the white men built as theirs.

Lol. These people are more Shameless than I thought.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by seunmsg(m): 4:36pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

Igbo ladies were still dressing naked when the picture was taken.

136 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Okutanla1: 4:40pm On Oct 31, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
Is this also Oba Alaafin Ladigbolu I?

Yes. It's him.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by BKayy: 4:48pm On Oct 31, 2021
seunmsg:

Igbos ladies were still dressing naked when the picture was taken.
You mean the Igbo women in your picture that are wearing rare copper spirals worth atleast 12 million Naira in todays amount on their legs are naked?

If you want to talk about people being naked, talk about the Yoruba women in the picture below that the few things they are wearing are worth absolutely nothing

You can't compare yourselves with Ndigbo. There has never been a time we were mates

51 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by RealAdewole(m): 4:52pm On Oct 31, 2021
The brit did our government system dirty they ought to have leave us with our monarchs. The very first time i attended a function at a palace i was just left dumbstruck with the organization and timeliness everything was done, unlike our crazy democrasy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Ikwereanlion(m): 4:54pm On Oct 31, 2021
Nice pics but the pics is not African enuf

Evrytin for the palace na oyibo give dem,,even the palace.The pictures did not showcase African culture but colonization.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Lordbinsmar: 4:55pm On Oct 31, 2021
Oyo Alaafin.

7 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by BKayy: 4:55pm On Oct 31, 2021
Ikwereanlion:
Nice pics but the pics is not African enuf

No allow them to finish celebrating what the white men built as theirs before I give them receipts of the original Alaafin of Oyo's Palace

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by LamidiCownu: 4:57pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

You mean the Igbo women in your picture that wearing rare copper spirals worth atleast 12 million Naira in today amount on their legs are naked?

If you want to talk about people being naked, talk about the Yoruba women in the picture below that the few things they are wearing is worth nothing

You can't compare yourselves with Ndigbo. There has never been a time we were mates
See the proud owners of Lagos sitting pretty ..
Love to see it

31 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by LamidiCownu: 4:58pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

You mean the Igbo women in your picture that wearing rare copper spirals worth atleast 12 million Naira in today amount on their legs are naked?

If you want to talk about people being naked, talk about the Yoruba women in the picture below that the few things they are wearing is worth nothing

12 million naira grin grin cheesy grin
Ipod bureau of lie and statistics.
The same ibo women living on trees naked abi another one cheesy cheesy

99 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by BKayy: 5:02pm On Oct 31, 2021
LamidiCownu:

12 million naira grin grin cheesy grin
Ipod bureau of lie and statistics.
The same ibo women living on trees naked abi another one cheesy cheesy
Google is your friend.

We were never mates. NDIGBO didn't start getting rich after Nigeria but were created with it.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

By the way, I never knew we would get to a level when Yorubas will start celebrating what the white men built as theirs.

Lol. These people are more Shameless than I thought.
It was late 19 century bro, that time Ibos were still naked, they have no understanding of civilization

73 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Caption This Picture Yakubu Dogara And This Baby At IDP Camp: Hilarioius / Gunmen Burn DSS, FRSC Offices In Nnewi Over Nigerian Flag / Bukola Saraki Leaves APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.