Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,935 members, 7,817,726 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross (60437 Views)

Capt. Bala Shagari: Buhari And IBB Forced Me Out Of Military / Capt. Jonathan Polit Dies In Accident (pics) / Buhari Celebrates 80th Birthday Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Eriokanmi: 8:03pm On Oct 31, 2021
Firroda:

As a yoruba boy who can read and write in Yoruba, I find that very painful to read, had to read very very slowly to comprehend. Oyinbo culture don finish us
Lolz. Go grab iwe A B D

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by irunoko(m): 8:04pm On Oct 31, 2021
LegendHero:
Oyo Alaafin.
Ojo pa sekere omo atiba
Oyo nipe kolowo ko gbowo
Oni koni iwofa gba tire
Ase kole ba di’ja, ko le ba daapon
Komo oba le ri ‘n muje
Oyo gbin agbado oran seyinkule elenkule
Elenkule o gbodo faatu, be ni ko si gbodo faaya.
please translate into English
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Aganju849: 8:05pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

The picture is from early 20th century (after Amalgamation).
By then, Igbo businessmen have started developing estates in Lagos.

By the way, I never knew we would get to a level when Yorubas will start celebrating what the white men built as theirs.

Lol. These people are more Shameless than I thought.

You're a mad, senseless dog

We know what to do with your like in Yoruba land

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Ushman333: 8:05pm On Oct 31, 2021
I love the yorubas, they have an understanding of life...no much fuss.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Coronavirus84: 8:05pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

You mean the Igbo women in your picture that are wearing rare copper spirals worth atleast 12 million Naira in todays amount on their legs are naked?

If you want to talk about people being naked, talk about the Yoruba women in the picture below that the few things they are wearing are worth absolutely nothing

You can't compare yourselves with Ndigbo. There has never been a time we were mates
Even in Abakaliki town in Ebonyi state, Igbo women still don't wear nothing to cover up their breast till today, ikwo people are the worst, mgbo people the same thing, the only set of people that are expose among una for here are the wise Afikpo people

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Eriokanmi: 8:06pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

By the way, I never knew we would get to a level when Yorubas will start celebrating what the white men built as theirs.

Does this look like Alaafin to you? Mtcheew

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by kapelvej: 8:07pm On Oct 31, 2021
seunmsg:

Igbos ladies were still dressing naked when the picture was taken.
grin grin grin grin grin grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Foreigna2: 8:07pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

Nzube, you always show that you are mentally unstable.

18 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

I don't argue nonsense. Everybody wished they had contact with Ndigbo. I am surprised you didn't ask the primitive Yoruba people at that time as part of the people that raided Igboland.

That aside, Pictures speak louder than words.

Between your Alaafin (1st pic) and one man walking on his own in Ogwashi-Ukwu (2nd pic) who looks more dignified or rich?

From the first picture, you don't need me to clarify to you how the original Oyo Palace looked like before the white men built what the OP posted.

Everything is a divk measuring contest for your insecure bush running flatin0 apes, thank God for Ajayi Crowther who brought christainity to you cannibals.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Eriokanmi: 8:07pm On Oct 31, 2021
seunmsg:

Igbos ladies were still dressing naked when the picture was taken.
Don't mind them jare

13 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Eriokanmi: 8:08pm On Oct 31, 2021
Okutanla1:

Yes. It's him.
You lie
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by ezegenigbonine: 8:09pm On Oct 31, 2021
SlyDev:
Yoruba civilization is the best, Omo see culture and greatness in one picture.

If I'm not Yoruba, I will be jealous of them.

Who go talk say him mama soup no sweet. I hate being a coward so i wouldn't have prayed to be a Yoruba

4 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by IPIGSRMUMU: 8:10pm On Oct 31, 2021
My fore fathers are in this picture.
My linage is of one of the chiefs from the old OYO empire. We are still highly regarded up till today by those who know the history of OYO.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Eriokanmi: 8:10pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

You mean the Igbo women in your picture that are wearing rare copper spirals worth atleast 12 million Naira in todays amount on their legs are naked?

If you want to talk about people being naked, talk about the Yoruba women in the picture below that the few things they are wearing are worth absolutely nothing

You can't compare yourselves with Ndigbo. There has never been a time we were mates
Lol. Stop embarrassing yourself. These weren't us. This is typical of Igbo gals back in the days

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 31, 2021
ezegenigbonine:

Who go talk say him mama soup no sweet. I hate being a coward so i wouldn't have prayed to be a Yoruba

Says the tribe whose leader cowardly ran off disguised as a woman after losing a war and sacrificing millions of his ape people's.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by calcal: 8:12pm On Oct 31, 2021
Nice one from you., youth emulate this.

LegendHero:

Let me translate it for you. I don’t know ami ohun much like that which explained why you might not understand it well. Also, I used a proper Oyo dialect.

—Oyo Alaafin (Oyo, the descendant of the Alaafin)
—Ojo pa sekere omo atiba (Rain must not beat sekere, Son of Atiba)
—Oyo nipe kolowo ko gbowo (Oyo said the creditor should collect his money)
—Oni koni iwofa gba tire (He also went to tell the debtor (Iwofa - a system where people use their family as collateral to borrow money) not to pay his debt)
—Ase kole ba di’ja, ko le ba daapon (Not knowing that the reason why Oyo did this is so that fight can happen)
—Komo oba le ri ‘n muje (So the prince can eat)
—Oyo gbin agbado oran seyinkule elenkule (Oyo planted a wicked mystery maize/corn of trouble at another man's backyard)
—Elenkule o gbodo faatu, be ni ko si gbodo faaya (The owner must not uproot it, and he must not shred it)
__Omo iku, tiku kogbódò pa
(child of death who death cannot kill)
----Omo Arun, tarun kogbódò see
(child of pestilence who cannot be tied down by sickness)
----Omo Ofo, tofo kogbódò see(child of calamity whom calamity can't afflict )

All this eulogy of Oyo is just showing the empire might. Imagine planting a corn/maize of trouble at the back of one’s compound and telling him not to uproot it nor shred it. Like you’re showing your might and power over them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Viraltrends123: 8:12pm On Oct 31, 2021
membranus, come and see what you don't know, can you see anyone there wearing rag. Why are you like this, you are even one of the problems we have, ass lickers, sycophants, low self-esteemed people downgrade others around them.
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by temitope27(m): 8:13pm On Oct 31, 2021
thundafire:
shut up ur mouth how did Oyibo finish us all this nonsense force down our throats by our useless politicians and u believe. Did they stop Nigeria from developing abi na our people dey steal go outside.

If not for Oyibo will U be using Handsets or know about Android abi u for the Alaafin house as sacrificial ram wen him die. Travel out and compare ur country to the Oyibo then u will know that they have strong institution and not rubber-stamped as we have here
no mind that one, even thou am just 25 years old, I can speak, write and read Yoruba fluently cos I love it so much

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Funflipper: 8:13pm On Oct 31, 2021
bcomputer101:
This is the beauty of Yoruba culture. I could vividly remember those early 90's when Obi of Onisha and Oba of Benni used to come for fatherly and elderly advice in the palace of Alaafin of Oyo.

Kabiyesi ooooo

Oba of Benin?

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by ThatFairGuy: 8:15pm On Oct 31, 2021
Oladigbolu
Ò kunmo l'ósùn kunmo l'áta
Oko dúdú, oko pupa
Oko bòròkìní baba sàlámì

He accepted Islam and do away with some traditions that posit threat to human.

5 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by truthCoder: 8:15pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

Settled. At the sight of something more powerful than them, humans lose their senses.

It's like you haven't heard of colorising or probably how Ndigbo dressed looks like the future to you savages.

We were never mates and will never be

You dont know your history.

I am not tribal but facts are facts. The first signs of european civilization first reached benin city then the yoruba coastal towns and the calabars at least one hundred years before the igbos.

Benin was 15th century, yorubas were 16th century, Igbos were 17th century.

Prove me wrong and share any verifiable work to support your claims.

All these however does not matter because our forefathers all messed up by having these stupid tribal wars (which you are also boiling for). The europeans used our discord to conquer us.

Your local tribe does not matter in the scheme of things. You can be igbo, hausa or yoruba for all you wish, no one in the world cares. They see the whole bunch of us as Africans.

Rise up from that petty thinking mind set and stop the tribal hate.

26 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Crixxx: 8:17pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

Lol you just killed that guy. Inferiority complex wan kill them. I could see the other 1 saying Obi of Onitsha and Oba if Benin go for fatherly advice.
I come start to wonder when oga start to seek fatherly advice from boy boy grin

7 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Greenback: 8:19pm On Oct 31, 2021
I hope somebody's head yaff not been mined o. grin

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Astrid4(m): 8:19pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

I don't argue nonsense. Everybody wished they had contact with Ndigbo. I am surprised you didn't ask the primitive Yoruba people at that time as part of the people that raided Igboland.

That aside, Pictures speak louder than words.

Between your Alaafin (1st pic) and one man walking on his own in Ogwashi-Ukwu (2nd pic) who looks more dignified or rich?

From the first picture, you don't need me to clarify to you how the original Oyo Palace looked like before the white men built what the OP posted.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Omoluabi16(m): 8:19pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

Why are you triggered? The man is clearly proud to be Yoruba, and I'm sure you say ibo amaka every now and then. This your tribalism is needless.

14 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Hakeem12(m): 8:20pm On Oct 31, 2021
LegendHero:

Let me translate it for you. I don’t know ami ohun much like that which explained why you might not understand it well. Also, I used a proper Oyo dialect.

—Oyo Alaafin (Oyo, the descendant of the Alaafin)
—Ojo pa sekere omo atiba (Rain must not beat sekere, Son of Atiba)
—Oyo nipe kolowo ko gbowo (Oyo said the creditor should collect his money)
—Oni koni iwofa gba tire (He also went to tell the debtor (Iwofa - a system where people use their family as collateral to borrow money) not to pay his debt)
—Ase kole ba di’ja, ko le ba daapon (Not knowing that the reason why Oyo did this is so that fight can happen)
—Komo oba le ri ‘n muje (So the prince can eat)
—Oyo gbin agbado oran seyinkule elenkule (Oyo planted a wicked mystery maize/corn of trouble at another man's backyard)
—Elenkule o gbodo faatu, be ni ko si gbodo faaya (The owner must not uproot it, and he must not shred it)
__Omo iku, tiku kogbódò pa
(child of death who death cannot kill)
----Omo Arun, tarun kogbódò see
(child of pestilence who cannot be tied down by sickness)
----Omo Ofo, tofo kogbódò see(child of calamity whom calamity can't afflict )

All this eulogy of Oyo is just showing the empire might. Imagine planting a corn/maize of trouble at the back of one’s compound and telling him not to uproot it nor shred it. Like you’re showing your might and power over them.
Excellent

7 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by IamOrei(m): 8:20pm On Oct 31, 2021
sammybest889:
wait ooo in d other side of the picture...is it not a white man am see their seating on one of d chiefpalace chairs

wow so dis White men has been extorting us since time memorial anyway I have nothing 2 say....BT going by history I once heard DAT
..d Alaafin, or The Owner of the Palace in the Yoruba
language, is the title of an emperor of the medieval Oyo
empire down to dis present-day how true is dat

It's true.

The white man sat there on the approval of the Alaafin. The monarch did that as an honorarium; yorubas are good at that to strangers

13 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by holuwajobar(m): 8:20pm On Oct 31, 2021
BKayy:

Google is your friend.

We were never mates. NDIGBO didn't start getting rich after Nigeria but were created with it.
are you people ma.d or something? Must you people always compare between the two tribes?? The post is about Yoruba history, if you don't like it, go to another post in the front page.....

All you tribalist on the forum, either Igbo or Yoruba, you are all ma.d

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by amdoyin82(m): 8:21pm On Oct 31, 2021
SlyDev:

Kudos bro

6 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by ysalli: 8:21pm On Oct 31, 2021
SlyDev:

Captain Ross L. Bower
Was residing in a place call Layipo in Ibadan, and a tower was raised there in his honour, When ever you visit Oyo state, ibadan to be precise, take your time and visit this place.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Crixxx: 8:21pm On Oct 31, 2021
SlyDev:

You Ibos are funny sha, Yoruba no una papa mate

Inferiority complex wan kill una grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

"Buhari Can't Stop Me BSc-ED" Picture Trending On Social Media. Gotten This Bad? / UK Immigrations Detain Obi At London Airport, Alleged Impersonation / “I Don’t Want To Be Disturbed With Any Probe”, Buhari Tells Tinubu In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.