Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,903 members, 7,817,677 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross (60434 Views)

Capt. Bala Shagari: Buhari And IBB Forced Me Out Of Military / Capt. Jonathan Polit Dies In Accident (pics) / Buhari Celebrates 80th Birthday Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 01, 2021
KoshCAD:
What does your worthless father has that can make someone betray him?
An other internet warrior over here.
Keep flexing your internet muscles online.
Your fine from a long line of uncle toms.
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 01, 2021
KoshCAD:
Where is it. Any proof
Ok, you win, the British built houses only for yoruba, because yoruba were faithful servants to the British and the biggest uncle toms on earth. Now go and celebrate while worshipping your white masters.
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 01, 2021
KoshCAD:
Were you expecting it to be written by your people who have no history?
Actually, your people have no history. You keep confusing fairytales with history. You confuse total bs written by online troll with historical documents...
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 01, 2021
KoshCAD:
I don't expect you to believe, since your fathers were still living with Orangutans in the bush at that period.

Photos were not invented yet in the period you guys claim that photo was taken, but you are free to keep deluding yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by gaventa: 8:28am On Nov 01, 2021
Google Lewis Latimer. Stop seeing yourself has a slave to the white man. We were civilized before they came here. Stop the lies.
thundafire:
prove it

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 8:37am On Nov 01, 2021
KoshCAD:
I don't know why you like abusing the word superior. It seems like you just heard that word and is pushing you.

You people are the most inferior Africa race. Every Africa race has empires, kingdoms.

You apes had none, only to make noise.

Just empty container.
There was never a yoruba empire, oyo was a small kingdom which got pulverised by the fulani.
Ife was a small village which the British started urbanizing from 1912.
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 01, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:
At this period when Yorubas had palaces and civilisation yeebos were still wearing palm fronds hopping from tree to tree.

This is true. They were also still worshipping long juju caves at that time. Very backwards people.

5 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 01, 2021
DaveDGreat:

Although I don't do this tribal thing but the delusion of the average Yoruba man baffles me honestly. How can someone say a group of people did not have history? How can you make such a statement.

The problem with the average Yoruba man is that they fail to see beyond Lagos and the immediate environment. This was how a fellow Corp member posted to the East was baffled because of what he saw. He said what they believed back then was that Igbo land was inhabitable that's why they "live the SW". This " uneducated" graduate from Ondo did not know that there are more Igbos in the north than in the SW.

Now to history, I see many yorubas claiming to be "civilized". One may think that they mean/meant developing things that benefitted humans but what they meant are:
1. They fought civil wars amongst themselves hence their " forefathers were strong"
2. They had monarch hence their "forefathers were developed"
2. They surrendered to the British too early hence "their forefathers became/were civilized"

I'll address the points one by one.
As for point 1, please the Yorubas should read broad please. There were many wars that happened in and around Igbo land for centuries. There were lots of conquest that are well documented and by locals too. The fact that the whites documented your history isn't something you should really be proud of. Arochukwu, Ezza, and many other tribes in Igbo land went on conquest. My people engaged warriors from Arochukwu in wars for many years and was able to push them back. My people engaged the Etches in wars and won. But a Yoruba man is like a son who has only seen his father's farm and declares it the biggest in the works. Wow!!!

2. Different people have different ways of life. The whites who didn't understand the greater part of old Igboland described its system of government as "acephalous". The internal democracy baffled the whites and they could only compare with the ancient Greeks. Now if not having kings is a sign of not been civilized, will the Yoruba's say the ancient Greeks and/or romans where uncivilized too? Mind you, Rome didn't have kings until Caesar matched with his troops to the capital and was declared emperor.
Also, it's not all parts of Igbo land that didn't have kings. It's mostly part of central and eastern Igbo land that was without kings. I challenge a Yoruba man here to tell me which of their kingdoms is older than The kingdom of Nri or to tell me which Yoruba ancient artifact is older than those discovered in Igbo-Ukwu. Yoruba travel and see. Go to Obu Gad and let them tell you the lineage of the kings from Eze Eri I to the present one. Where I am from, we are taught to count our forefathers straight down to the founder of our town. Yet mine is a town and not a kingdom (my part didn't have kings).

3. The Yorubas are always fast to claim that they were warriors and yet in the same line of sentence claim they had were the first to be "exposed to the British way of life". How can you be warriors then then allow the British defeat you so fast? Isn't that an irony? It's well documented that The Binis (Benin), the TIVs and the Igbo's vehemently fought the British and their expansionism but how much of that can be said of the warrior tribe of Yoruba? The Anglo-Aro war is well documented. It was a bloody war that lasted over 2 years and the British was marvelled. Guess very little Yoruba's have read about this? They boast of the kiriji wars but know very little about the Headhunting warriors of Abam. Isn't that being self-centered? What are we then to say about the Aro Confederacy that's like a multi-ethnic republic? Guess no Yoruba man knows about this?
Now it's also on record that the last place to fall to British in Nigeria is the Igbo town of Igbuzo (Ibusa in present Delta state). The people there with other towns formed a coalition and launched the Agha Ekumeku which was a stiff resistance against the imperials. While the Yoruba's " warriors" had already surrendered their sovereignty to the British crown, the real warriors were still fighting their soldiers. In recognition of Igbuzo (Ndi Isu fu ogu ju nni) prowess in battle, the town's name reached Britain and many people in London heard about this town and others that gave the whites sleepless nights. The British also built a school in the town when the resistance fell because they marvelled at their strength in battle. Go figure the meaning of Ndi fu ogu ju nni. Yoruba man read this? No he won't. He's satisfied with Ekiti parapo history and he'll term it as "African history".

Lastly, it's also well documented that the Igbos had Nsibidi. The whites met it here and wrote about it. Pray tell, how can a people with a well-developed writing code be " uncivilized"? The issue with most Africans is that they view civilization with the European lens. This is one reason China Achebe wrote a rebuttal against Joseph Conrad.

Fellows, let me my pen here but with an advice. Never say a people don't have culture. Even the Barbarians had one it's just that the Romans couldn't understand it. Drop tribalism and stop seeing everything through one perspective.

To the average Yoruba man, learn to read wide. Read about other people too. To the Igbo man, learn to dey calm down. Everything no be d*ck measuring contest.

Happy new month all. Wish you all the very best of the mont of November.
Although, no part of Delta state is Igbo, igboland is within the south-east. No part of Bendel is Igbo, thank you.
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by derecho(m): 9:31am On Nov 01, 2021
Friend
1914 na Just yesterday na. There are even older Church structures in Yoruba hinterlands built by missionaries.
Look at the window behind the king, you'll understand..
jaxxy:

Can u see the palace building?? Can any black man of that era build such sophisticated structure??
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by derecho(m): 9:38am On Nov 01, 2021
I wonder the needless intertribal contest here.
I even wonder how someone would think others don't have history.
Someone even said the West destroyed their great culture.

Hmmn
Whenever I see tribalist folks, I know narrowminded people and vain persons.
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by KoshCAD: 9:41am On Nov 01, 2021

Ok, you win, the British built houses only for yoruba, because yoruba were faithful servants to the British and the biggest uncle toms on earth. Now go and celebrate while worshipping your white masters.
Keep quiet and bring the proof. I didn't ask for rant.
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by jaxxy(m): 9:50am On Nov 01, 2021
SlyDev:
Yoruba civilization is the best, Omo see culture and greatness in one picture.

If I'm not Yoruba, I will be jealous of them.

Yoruba’s developed because they know how to form necessary alliances and they like too much enjoyment. grin

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by BKayy: 10:06am On Nov 01, 2021
KoshCAD:
Keep quiet and bring the proof. I didn't ask for rant.
If you are not blind you would have seen the cement pillar/columns in the picture but no, an average Yoruba man worship the whites.

That can't be said for the black Gods in human form like us.

We were never mates
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by KoshCAD: 10:11am On Nov 01, 2021

There was never a yoruba empire, oyo was a small kingdom which got pulverised by the fulani.
Ife was a small village which the British started urbanizing from 1912.
Eyah, I can feel your pain my OSU brother. It is a sad thing when your race did not have history. You will want to drag others to it.

I feel your pain bro hahahahaha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by BKayy: 10:13am On Nov 01, 2021
KoshCAD:
You like arguing with them.

How you expect group of people that their fore fathers were still walking naked and moving with Orangutans in the bush at that time know what normal human beings get at that time.

They were all in the jungle at that time bro. Leave them.
Compare the Igbo house below with what your white Lords dashed you.

You know I can't say "compare with your own architecture" because you don't build.
You even have a adage that you build houses in a day. Palm frond tatches is what you call houses.

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by KoshCAD: 10:15am On Nov 01, 2021
BKayy:

If you are not blind you would have seen the cement pillar/columns in the picture but no, an average Yoruba man worship the whites.

That can't be said for the black Gods in human form like us.

We were never mates
How can you be mate to people that is way above you.

Who is arguing that with you.

Yorubas are ways above your race, so you can't be mate.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by KoshCAD: 10:18am On Nov 01, 2021
BKayy:

Compare the Igbo house below with what your white Lords dashed you.

You know I can't say "compare with your own architecture" because you don't build.
You even have a adage that you build houses in a day. Palm frond tatches is what you call houses.
Hahahaha, this is an insult to sane minds.

How can you compare this hut to yoruba architecture below. Are you normal hahahaha. Don't make me laugh.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by BKayy: 10:20am On Nov 01, 2021
KoshCAD:
How can you be mate to people that is way above you.

Who is arguing that with you.

Yorubas are ways above your race, so you can't be mate.
Let me explain it for you. People like us have no business with those that play 4th fiddle to other human beings.
First to the Fulani, then Hausa and Whites.

Can anybody be claiming a British House as theirs in this world except you people?
No. I don't think so.

One needs to have a certain level of inferiority complex to do such.
As if you people are not seeing the block wall at the back of where Alaafin is seated
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by BKayy: 10:20am On Nov 01, 2021
KoshCAD:
Hahahaha, this is an insult to sane minds.

How can you compare this hut to yoruba architecture below. Are you normal hahahaha. Don't make me laugh.
Where is the Yoruba architecture?
I can't see any.

No post a British House to solidify your inferiority
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by KoshCAD: 10:23am On Nov 01, 2021
BKayy:

I can't see any.

I know you are blind. See it clearly

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by BKayy: 10:24am On Nov 01, 2021
KoshCAD:
I know you are blind. See it clearly
You could have added the one below so that we can agree that you are either Fulani or Hausa/kanuri.
Lol

Una no get anything. No originality. Nothing
Always copying from your superiors (Fulani, Hausa and Whites)

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by KoshCAD: 10:26am On Nov 01, 2021
BKayy:

Let me explain it for you. People like us have no business with those that play 4th fiddle to other human beings.
First to the Fulani, then Hausa and Whites.

Can anybody be claiming a British House as theirs in this world except you people?
No. I don't think so.

One needs to have a certain level of inferiority complex to do such.
As if you people are not seeing the block wall at the back of where Alaafin is seated
Hehehe, who doesn't know the slave in this nation. Azikwe can testify hahahahaha.

You can see you are no match

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Nobody: 10:27am On Nov 01, 2021
BKayy:

I can't see any.

Inferiority dey smell all over you, I don't blame you someone said ibo language don't have the word love, your hatred is justified

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by KoshCAD: 10:28am On Nov 01, 2021
BKayy:

You could have added the one below so that we can agree that you are either Fulani or Hausa/kanuri.
Lol

Una no get anything. No originality. Nothing
Always copying from your superiors (Fulani, Hausa and Whites)
You see, for this one mind, only emir dress like that hahahahaha. I said it.

See below is back of the big palace at that time. You are not match

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by BKayy: 10:28am On Nov 01, 2021
KoshCAD:
Hehehe, who doesn't know the slave in this nation. Azikwe can testify hahahahaha.

You can see you are no match
I can't compare my divine Igbo people with 4th fiddle like you Yorubas so rest and look for your mates in Benin Republic or Togo.

Anyways, for now you people have used three different Palaces to illustrate one Palace in the same year.

We are getting to somewhere. Maybe before we are through, you will learn to accept who you are.
You are no longer a white or Fulani servant. Maybe we can agree that you are still part of the Hausa Banza like the Hausa chronicles say
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by BKayy: 10:32am On Nov 01, 2021
KoshCAD:
You see, for this one mind, only emir dress like that hahahahaha. I said it.

See below is back of the big palace at that time. You are not match
Atleast I will commend you for being the first Yoruba man on this forum to have the guts to post the original Alaafin of Oyo Palace without shame.
Though I am the one that made you to post it.

Anyways that aside. I respect originality so I won't like to go further in arguing whether our people's ibari house looks better or not because I believe that people's architecture represents them and needs not to be mocked /laughed at

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by Ayiibobo(m): 11:32am On Nov 01, 2021

Actually, logics doesn't work like this. When you make a claim, you have to provide proof before anybody could take you seriously.

Also, I wasn't concerned about "the war", I was concerned about the obvious lie of oyo seazing a piece of land from the Fulani. That is not substantiated at all.
Also when talking about a civil war, you need the two opponents to belong to the same country, whereas such is not the case with the "yoruba".
my maternal great grand mother was a fulani slave captured during the fulaniVsyoruba wars,.....the conflict can't be traced to a particular date,from the stories passed down from generations,the schemishes have started long before the ilorin saga,and the ransack of old oyo,which were the biggest defeat of the yoruba by the fulani,while the massacre of the fulani army by the ibadan warriors at osogbo and the capture of jebba in kwara state was the biggest defeat of the fulani at the hands of the yorubas,..both tribes have been interwoven for centuries,whether by trade,marriages and war,because there wasn't an efficient means of keeping records then doesn't mean these things didn't happen...i dnt have time to be looking for source for you,but these things are easy to look up these days

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by ezegenigbonine: 11:34am On Nov 01, 2021
KoshCAD:
Yes they are coward

But they have won so many wars

They are coward, but your tribe dares not face them in war.

They are coward, but just 197 of their men defeated over 500 of your so called biafra men.

I prefer to be coward who have fought many war without being defeated than to be Audio brave who never fight any war not to talk of winning any.

Lols abeg which major tribe una defeat Igbo, Hausa, fulani, tiv which one? Maybe una fight one small village and una call am war what a shame.
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by tiyejoor: 11:34am On Nov 01, 2021
Proudly Oyo !!! wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by ezegenigbonine: 11:38am On Nov 01, 2021
SlyDev:

Inferiority dey smell all over you, I don't blame you someone said ibo language don't have the word love, your hatred is justified

Then ifunanya means what?
Try and make investigations before you type rubbish
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by 0balufonlll: 11:38am On Nov 01, 2021
Amalekki:

How could the answer to this question of yours be no?
Obama is greater than his father.
Donald Trump is greater than his father.
Joe Biden is greater than his father.
Awolowo is greater than his father.
Fela is greater than his father.
Buhari is greater than his father.
Jonathan is greater than his father.
Atiku is greater than his father.
I know that a common prayer by most is for their children to be greater than they are.

grin

Correct but does this indicate they've become their father's father?
Re: Throwback Photo Of Alaafin Of Oyo, A Diviner And Legendary Capt. William A. Ross by 0balufonlll: 11:40am On Nov 01, 2021
seunmsg:

The people occupying the present Oyo, are they descendants of those that occupied the old Oyo or not? The current ruling houses in Oyo, do they have any blood link with those that ruled the old Oyo or not?

Whether it is just a prince from the old Oyo that replicated what was in the old Oyo is irrelevant. What is important is that a prince from the bloodline of the old Oyo ruling house has reestablished the Oyo dynasty for posterity and continuity sake. The Oyo history and royalty is preserved for future generation.

Go and tell this to the members of Oyo ruling lineages in Igboho, kishi and other old Oyo towns LOL.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Bukola Saraki Leaves APC / "Buhari Can't Stop Me BSc-ED" Picture Trending On Social Media. Gotten This Bad? / UK Immigrations Detain Obi At London Airport, Alleged Impersonation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.