Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel (29840 Views)

Use Enugu Airport For International Travel - Ethiopian Airlines To S-Easterners / Airport Officials Collecting Money In Place Of COVID-19 Test - Sahara Reporters / How Airport Officials Can Easily Plant Drugs On Your Luggage (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by frankson1(m): 5:30pm On Nov 03, 2021
sirrotex:
The funny thing is that their begging distracts them from carrying out their core functions. Me I usually frown when going through the airport checks so e dey hard them to ask and those who do, I would politely tell them that I don't have any extra.

Well, for me, I always carry extra polo shirts to give them even though sometimes, they will want to select the particular one they want. "I don't have cash" is always my response when they ask for cash and "I came with Uber" when asked who I came with.

I appreciate the ones who are nice but the ones who act as though they're doing you a favour letting you travel are the ones I threaten to report.

5 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Poncedsiun(m): 5:31pm On Nov 03, 2021
I've seen these things severally,it's like this in nigeria...that's CORRUPTION.
FROM NAIA TO BCIA -I experienced different scene,the BCIA immigration officers were so friendly and comfired even there trollies were free around the airport.

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Yankee101: 5:32pm On Nov 03, 2021
Avoid Lagos airport and use abuja if you can.

Lagos is out of control

8 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:32pm On Nov 03, 2021
Let me ask you this sir. Let's assume one of this officials is caught and facing disciplinary action, can he use standard of living as a defence for his action? Let me also inform you that under the civil service rules, a civil servant is not to receive any additional money outside his salary
redcliff:

like i said, every airport you go reflects how the whole country is both economically and otherwise. MMA is not any different. rhe standard of living is so bad and this is the reason people resort to begging/ extorting as that is the only wan they can survive. tackle the issue from there..

5 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by olajideolajide(m): 5:34pm On Nov 03, 2021
Then you will face your consequence alone. They might charge for breach of others peace. So be alert
molybdenum0012:

Delay me on what ground, please? I am not carrying any kobo to bribe any official aside the one approved by the authority. If they try to delay me I will create scene with video evidence.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:36pm On Nov 03, 2021
This reminds me of when a Nafdac officer was checking my luggage some time ago, he put on his gloves, opened my bag and rather than look into the bag to check if I had any contraband, he was just using his hand to fiddle around and asking me what I brought for him.
frugal:

This is how people are able to smuggle stuffs.

All our problems are as a result of terrible leadership. If Comptroller general and aviation minister are fired every month, I'm sure somebody would eventually sit up and get things done. But nobody cares about the job.

2 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by SocialJustice: 5:37pm On Nov 03, 2021
HRprof:

wrong information, i dont know were you got this from. just follow the procedure nobody will extort you, read instruction before getting to the airport if covid test is required do it, make sure you dont carry more than luggage required by the airline. giving out money is by choice, i travelled last month and i notice workers at the airport are just beggers i counted up to 5 person asking me''anything for us?" i did not part any kobo till i board my flight. Nobody is forcing you to give.
Omo, see indictment. The minister of aviation ought to take note. Instead of this begging, why is tipping not institutionalised like it is in developed countries. They could pull the compulsory tips and dash these people.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Effybaba(m): 5:38pm On Nov 03, 2021
molybdenum0012:

Delay me on what ground, please? I am not carrying any kobo to bribe any official aside the one approved by the authority. If they try to delay me I will create scene with video evidence.

I dey laugh in Swahili. Bros they will make you miss your flight and nothing will happen. When you consider the amount you will spend to get you on another flight, you will have no choice but to part with the money. I always advise people to travel from another international airport at another state.

3 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by aspabay(m): 5:39pm On Nov 03, 2021
sirrotex:
Just recently I watched a video of an American woman who officials at the Lagos airport attempted to extort in the guise that her covid 19 documentation was incomplete.

I have also heard how officials at the airports in Nigeria extort outbound travelers especially those with Virgin passports.

This thread aims to expose the antics of corrupt airport officials and if possible report such incidences to the appropriate quarters.

Over to you guys, let the experience roll in.

This kind of thing has been on for a looooong time.

Many people have spoken and written about it.

The question remains, what exactly can be done about it?

This is evil perpetuated by Nigerians on Nigerians.

It is really about the audacity of Nigerians.

Government cannot do it alone. Sanctioning or sacking errant officers will not help matters, it is a strong network of extortioners. If you appoint a task force to check this, the task force will sooner or later metamorphosize to another cankerworm.

Corruption is a big problem in Nigeria.

And most of them profess to be Strong Muslims and Christians. Hypocrites.

7 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by clockwisereport: 5:39pm On Nov 03, 2021
lkillbrokehoes:
The extortion and begging in Nigeria airports is just too much, you will never experience such Nonsense abroad, sometimes I just wonder if some Nigerians are cursed.

A nairalander faced a similar ordeal in Jakarta sometime last year

https://www.nairaland.com/5353685/ordeal-soekarno-hatta-international-airport-jakarta
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:41pm On Nov 03, 2021
Commendable suggestion
BigDawsNet:
The only single thing that can change all this act is to start

Border Security: Nigeria's Front Line
When they mount a video camera on the counter recording data from Border control officer and passengers...den we will now cee how an officer will demand a penny

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:43pm On Nov 03, 2021
You don't have enough travel allowance and yet still they collected 100 USD. Sad
Inferior19:

My first travel out of the country I was made to pay 100 dollars for immigration. They said I was. Of having enough personal traveling allowance. And I was just going to Tanzania with traveling allowance of 800 dollars on me..Nigeria immigration nan ole all of them be..Now let's talk about the corruption going on at seme border..If you ever travel through road to seme border you will hate Nigeria immigration.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Tajbol4splend(m): 5:44pm On Nov 03, 2021
sirrotex:
This is a mentality that needs to be changed

Definitely

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:46pm On Nov 03, 2021
Getting an airline staff for extortion should not be a problem. Write an official complain letter against him and he would come begging
jrusky:
Efcc should go to the Murtala airport ASAP and arrest those lazy thieves especially those idiots weighing bags at KLM front desk where you travelling iceman is first check. I have promised one of the guy there that I will sack him in that airport and jail him. The bastard is works with KLM checking bags and luggage on the floor of the airport. There are serious racketing going on on the floor of the airport.

Efcc should go to the airport and flex their muscles rather han chasing Odilli around. All airport staffs are thieves and yahoo.

Seriously I'm coming for that guy possibly he is here or Reading my comment it's a promise I will shred him and make him weep.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by emapeteum(m): 5:47pm On Nov 03, 2021
Another problem is begging attitude of some of these officials.someone doing his job and asking you to appreciate him.These doesn't paint Nigerian in the right picture.

4 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Kinematics: 5:47pm On Nov 03, 2021
Criminals. Same way they tried to extort me in April for Covid-19 test paper that I already paid for.

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:49pm On Nov 03, 2021
Appreciation can only come after a good service
frankson1:

Well, for me, I always carry extra polo shirts to give them even though sometimes, they will want to select the particular one they want. "I don't have cash" is always my response when they ask for cash and "I came with Uber" when asked who I came with.

I appreciate the ones who are nice but the ones who act as though they're doing you a favour letting you travel are the ones I threaten to report.

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:50pm On Nov 03, 2021
I suppose it would be the same experience
Yankee101:

Lagos is out of control
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by fineboynl(m): 5:50pm On Nov 03, 2021
I was extorted in Lagos both departure and arrival. Also I was extorted at India airport by Indian officials.

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by lkillbrokehoes: 5:51pm On Nov 03, 2021
clockwisereport:

A nairalander faced a similar ordeal in Jakarta sometime last year

https://www.nairaland.com/5353685/ordeal-soekarno-hatta-international-airport-jakarta
I'm talking about saner climes like Qatar, usa, Canada and the rest not poverty stricken shíthole like india, Indonesia and the rest.

5 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Uniquekriss(m): 5:53pm On Nov 03, 2021
Airport officials have a way of extorting passengers in different forms, common facemask that is sold for 2 for #150,behold Asaba airport dey sell am for 1 @#500

5 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Coldie(m): 5:54pm On Nov 03, 2021
If u ever want to visit or leave Nigeria don't come through Lagos Airport.

So much criminals converged in one place, looking for every opportunity to scam u or rip u off. After the official's in the airport are done trying to scam u, once u go outside another set of non officials are trying to scam u too from police officers to random people who approach u to help u with something only to corner u to one side trying to scam u to even taxi drivers even the shop owners self all of them want to scam u.

The worst is, even if u give your bags to the airport officials thinking it's safe you would be surprised that before you reach your destination same airport officials would open your bag and steal things from it.

The level of u incompetence and greed in that airport no be here

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:55pm On Nov 03, 2021
I think the solution lies in lodging formal complaints against erring officers. A lot of people just accept their fate and move on like nothing happened
aspabay:

This kind of thing has been on for a looooong time.

Many people have spoken and written about it.

The question remains, what exactly can be done about it?

This is evil perpetuated by Nigerians on Nigerians.

It is really about the audacity of Nigerians.

Government cannot do it alone. Sanctioning or sacking errant officers will not help matters, it is a strong network of extortioners. If you appoint a task force to check this, the task force will sooner or later metamorphosize to another cankerworm.

Corruption is a big problem in Nigeria.

And most of them profess to be Strong Muslims and Christians. Hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Lexicon123: 5:56pm On Nov 03, 2021
I have suffered this as a first time international traveller in 2017. You can imagine being asked questions like: "where's your letter of invitation?" "Show me evidence of what you're traveling for". In my mind I was like: "Am traveling out of your country, dumbass".

Omo, that's how they kept delaying me o. And as a JJC, I was getting too anxious to go board. So I offered to give them N3k, but they were like "wetin we be to you? Small children that you will be giving Naira". I had to part with my precious $100 (about N35k at the time). After giving them, they were like: "if you didn't give us from your heart talk o". In mind I was like: "you don't know how cursed that money is to you".

I vowed that day that such thing will never happen to me again. Heartless human beings.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by lkillbrokehoes: 5:56pm On Nov 03, 2021
Yankee101:

Lagos is out of control
I've used both Airports severally and they are all the same filled with bunch of corrupt officials.

once they noticed that you are well dressed they will be begging from from different angles until you leave, it's as bad as that.

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:56pm On Nov 03, 2021
There are a lot of racketeering going on with this covid 19 documentations
Kinematics:
Criminals. Same way they tried to extort me in April for Covid-19 test paper that I already paid for.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Yankee101: 5:56pm On Nov 03, 2021
sirrotex:
I suppose it would be the same experience

Ask regular travelers. It's not the same

Even lagos agbero, once e leave lagos agbero must reduce
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:57pm On Nov 03, 2021
Kindly share your Indian experience
fineboynl:
I was extorted in Lagos both departure and arrival. Also I was extorted at India airport by Indian officials.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by molawale: 5:58pm On Nov 03, 2021
I experienced same thing when i was in Nigeria in July,2021... stayed for more than 3hours to get boarding pass... after series of questions. Before people seeing u off to the airport allow to enter.. you have to bride officers at the front. Things need to be done. The impression about Nigeria Airport is bad.

3 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Amotolongbo(f): 5:58pm On Nov 03, 2021
Honestly, it is an annoying culture in MMIA, Lagos.

The most embarrassing part is that it only happens in Nigerian airport, of all the airports I’ve been.
I did not experience it in Casablanca airport in Africa.

At every point, they will tell you to drop something

2 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:59pm On Nov 03, 2021
Buying things at the airport is usually expensive. I had to print out my ticket some years ago and I was charged 1k per page. This is largely due to the cost of renting the shops
Uniquekriss:
Airport officials have a way of extorting passengers in different forms, common facemask that is sold for 2 for #150,behold Asaba airport dey sell am for 1 @#500

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Deplorable State Of Calabar Itu Road!!! / Updates On The Lagos - Ibadan Railway Line (Photos) / Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.