Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,223 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel (29838 Views)

Use Enugu Airport For International Travel - Ethiopian Airlines To S-Easterners / Airport Officials Collecting Money In Place Of COVID-19 Test - Sahara Reporters / How Airport Officials Can Easily Plant Drugs On Your Luggage (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by kunle75(m): 8:40pm On Nov 03, 2021
molybdenum0012:

Delay me on what ground, please? I am not carrying any kobo to bribe any official aside the one approved by the authority. If they try to delay me I will create scene with video evidence.

Create a scene,if truly you are a newbie please heed to his advice and enjoy your trip in peace.
Those guys are just pure evil in uniform

2 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Freelane33(m): 8:41pm On Nov 03, 2021
cool

1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 8:42pm On Nov 03, 2021
Well I don't have any problems with the discussion going to Twitter, however I have reservations about the international bodies seeing it. This is our mess and we should be ready to clean it up. Let the appropriate authorities see this
NONNYG:
Can we take this discussion to twitter? Let the international bodies see it.

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 8:43pm On Nov 03, 2021
Please share your experience
Kinematics:

I was also thinking it only happens in Nigeria until I flew through Douala, Cameroon. Same shit that goes on in MMIA happens there as well.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 8:48pm On Nov 03, 2021
Just imagine. He was skeptical to give his account number because he knows he can be traced. Remain small dem go dey carry POS.
Onyezenadar:
Those immigration officials especially at Lagos airport are good in extorting people ,especially if you have a virgin passport,.the first time I traveled,after stamping my passport the man refuse to return it to me instead he handed it over to one of his boys, who demanded 20k from me,after much argument he reduced it to 10k, since I did not have cash to give Him, I requested for his account number to transfer the money ,He was afraid but after consulting with his boss he later gave me an account number and i transferred the 10k to him before he returned my passport to me
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by WayoProphet: 8:52pm On Nov 03, 2021
You will hear something like oga STD eh never reach your turn cheesy

YesWeCan11:

That one is a story for another day..
Arrogant nurses and doctors everywhere. On top their incompetence oo
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by rotile247(m): 9:00pm On Nov 03, 2021
This is a way to go.
cocolacec:

It is like gathering money for bandits so they dont attack your community.
Why cant Nigerian travvellers make a class action against Nigerian immigration service to pay compensation.?
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by ocpaschal: 9:01pm On Nov 03, 2021
my5andtom2:

If you have a virgin passport just hold like 15k or 20k in naira for settlement or else they will delay you and you might miss your flight without any form of compensation. Prevention is better than cure. My 2 cent
Does this extortion actually happen in Abuja airport? I know that my bro who recently traveled to UK last month didn't face any kind of extortion sha at ABV

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by koolaid87: 9:07pm On Nov 03, 2021
molybdenum0012:

Delay me on what ground, please? I am not carrying any kobo to bribe any official aside the one approved by the authority. If they try to delay me I will create scene with video evidence.

You'll miss that flight. At the end, you'll prolly have to book a new one at your own expense
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by rotile247(m): 9:07pm On Nov 03, 2021
When travellers start instituting class action against organizations both public and private and they start paying compensation or their bank accounts are places on lien, they will begin to sit up.
We just need to start. Irrespective of how bad we think our Judiciary is, good good judgement still comes out no matter how long it takes.

The mere fact that they are beginning to have court cases alone will be a deterrent.

easynetsms:
My problem is that nothing will be done .. they do these things every day but yet nothing is being done.

2 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by akintunde63: 9:56pm On Nov 03, 2021
sirrotex:
Just recently I watched a video of an American woman who officials at the Lagos airport attempted to extort in the guise that her covid 19 documentation was incomplete.

I have also heard how officials at the airports in Nigeria extort outbound travelers especially those with Virgin passports.

From customs to immigration, to NAHCO, to airline officials, to one agric something like that and the others, their main targets are usually the first time Travellers. Lagos airport is extremely notorious. To avoid their wahała, arrive at airport ahead of check-in, so you wouldn't be under pressure because you don't want to miss your flight, and part away with hard-earned money

This thread aims to expose the antics of corrupt airport officials and if possible report such incidences to the appropriate quarters.

Over to you guys, let the experience roll in.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by timefarm(m): 10:02pm On Nov 03, 2021
my5andtom2:

If you have a virgin passport just hold like 15k or 20k in naira for settlement or else they will delay you and you might miss your flight without any form of compensation. Prevention is better than cure. My 2 cent
This is not entirely true.

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by femijay8271(m): 10:05pm On Nov 03, 2021
EllemGiggy:
Corruptions in all government agencies is very alarming
But a woman at Abeokuta Immigration Office made me ask myself if i was still in Nigeria she was really a God sent through my processing for my lost international passport all my efforts to appreciate her monetarily was politely declined as she continued telling not to bother myself.
Auntie Kemi na God go bless you for me
Thanks changing the World in your corner.
w

Pls can I have her contact?
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by jrusky(m): 10:07pm On Nov 03, 2021
sochima1989:

Those guys are been sacked on daily basis oooo but some know how to play that racketeering game... But the people that suffer this more are the passengers that wants to carry more bags ana pay less.

If there is a case of missing � na wahala..

Just get him name and send an official report

Ok bro.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Depressed101: 10:08pm On Nov 03, 2021
sirrotex:
I beg to disagree with this. If you have a virgin passport, ensure all your documents are intact and get to the airport very early. Ensure you have done a thorough research about your destination, Be confident in your self and resist any intimidation the airport officials. Where an official is being irrational ask to see the manager
this confidence is of use if you know what you are doing, but the problem is that most Nigerians don't know what they are doing they always need the help other smart ass Nigerians which result in all the unnecessary deve payments, from the days of admission to simple NIN registration I have found out that Nigerians are too lazy or should i say timid to learn instructions and due procedures, thereby giving chance for this

3 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by akdjr(m): 10:14pm On Nov 03, 2021
When next you're traveling, make sure all the documents you need are intact and if possible make photocopy before going into the airport for the ones that require photocopies. As for the quarantine officers, you are required to declare your food stuffs to the quarantine officers to certify that you can travel with such food but in most cases they just use the avenue to force people to pay for even what they are not meant to pay for cos typical Nigerian will not go voluntarily to declare his/her foodstuffs as required by law. It's actually 2k per bag of food stuff. Then at the boarding gate where u undergo last security screening, nobody can force you to part with your money , they will ask you for a tip as usual but it is left for you to give or not to give. If you have extra cash you can give. I consider it as just being kind to them cos those guys are not well paid at all if you don't have the opportunity to leave Nigeria and you manage to get the job I bet you you will do same lol... but they don't have option and thereby rely on tips from passenger for survival. quote author=Pidaa post=107294554]mehn almost every body need to be sack in lagos International Airport. The moment I enter inside the Airport I was told I would be giving personal checking to delay me except I pay money. Now abeg dem recieve 1K. After that a woman came to meet me I should register my foodstuff with them. I later sneak and after that where I was going through clearance in Qatar airline I was told if I have passager locator form because that is a requirement to go to the UK and I show them in my phone. Them force me to go and photocopy it and I was charge 1k per copy. After the clearance I met the immigration guy to stamp my visa but he delay me because I pick a phone call in his presence which he later stamp. Now so to enter plane one stupid guy stop me and ask me for money that if I did not give him he would delay me. I just gave him all my naira because my flight would soon take off then just of a sudden to meet another set of people close to the plane door begging me money again. I just told them my naira is finish and I enter plane. when I landed at Qatar then I saw the difference between Nigeria and Qutar. mehn is not only Nigeria government that need to change their mentality but Nigeria citizens too[/quote]
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by NONNYG: 10:39pm On Nov 03, 2021
sirrotex:
Well I don't have any problems with the discussion going to Twitter, however I have reservations about the international bodies seeing it. This is our mess and we should be ready to clean it up. Let the appropriate authorities see this
Remember what happened during #EndSars Protest
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Femeto: 10:46pm On Nov 03, 2021
The corruption at the MMIA is what they call systematic corruption.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by ahaika23: 10:50pm On Nov 03, 2021
I don’t give a dime! Shishi! On what grounds naw? I don’t allow anyone assist me with anything. I carry all my luggage myself.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by adonaimart(m): 11:03pm On Nov 03, 2021
You say "report those involved to the appropriate quarters"

You think say the appropriate quarters no know?

They are all eating fat from the system.

I love this thread and I pray it brings some sanity..

Because a thread like this can put pressure on government to act!!

sirrotex:
Just recently I watched a video of an American woman who officials at the Lagos airport attempted to extort in the guise that her covid 19 documentation was incomplete.

I have also heard how officials at the airports in Nigeria extort outbound travelers especially those with Virgin passports.

This thread aims to expose the antics of corrupt airport officials and if possible report such incidences to the appropriate quarters.

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Ekpekus(m): 11:05pm On Nov 03, 2021
Yankee101:
Avoid Lagos airport and use abuja if you can.

Lagos is out of control
I endorse this message...

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by NotoriousBiggyS: 1:46am On Nov 04, 2021
The problem of Nigeria is not the politicians but government workers from the local down to the federal level employees need total purging
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by ariesbull: 3:25am On Nov 04, 2021
It is too much in Lagos.... Those guys can beg... Abuja isn't like this though

You can't use toilet paper without people begging.
Immigration was asking me my BTA...I brought out my visa and card

My annoyances are wetin you bring come for us..
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by ariesbull: 3:32am On Nov 04, 2021
olajideolajide:
Then you will face your consequence alone. They might charge for breach of others peace. So be alert
Yoruba man has spoken
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by kinethic: 5:38am On Nov 04, 2021
sirrotex:

I remembered about ten years ago I returned after 8 years in China . As I landed in Abuja they were scrambling to know what I was doing there. Told them I was teaching in a university as a professor in CRIMINAL JUSTICE . They were like welcome sir clear clear etc
I went to Police headquarters in Abuja for some police clearance they wanted to extort me too and I told them that I am a professor of Criminal Justice and they were like please just pass.
During my departure they searched my luggage thoroughly like I was carrying drugs and asking me to drop something. I was like I came back for someone’s death and they were like just Dey go . As I reached the next exit the immigration ask me where I am going I was like what a stupid question and I said China. He was like okay any proof and I didn’t want to stress myself I showed him my resident card and he was like Na so the china own Dey look like?
Okay bye sir .
As I walked in to the departure lobby I was saying that there should be a tremendous overhaul of the system in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 7:18am On Nov 04, 2021
That assistance is another systemic begging. The person who assists you by giving you an ordinary pen to fill a form would be expecting you to give him big money in return
ahaika23:
I don’t give a dime! Shishi! On what grounds naw? I don’t allow anyone assist me with anything. I carry all my luggage myself.

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 7:23am On Nov 04, 2021
It's possible that those in the appropriate quarters know what is happening, but I am of the view that if they receive a barrage of complaints on a daily basis about the same issue, they would be forced to do something
adonaimart:
You say "report those involved to the appropriate quarters"

You think say the appropriate quarters no know?

They are all eating fat from the system.

I love this thread and I pray it brings some sanity..

Because a thread like this can put pressure on government to act!!

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 7:25am On Nov 04, 2021
The citizens also need purging
NotoriousBiggyS:
The problem of Nigeria is not the politicians but government workers from the local down to the federal level employees need total purging
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Poanan: 8:19am On Nov 04, 2021
Pidaa:
mehn almost every body need to be sack in lagos International Airport. The moment I enter inside the Airport I was told I would be giving personal checking to delay me except I pay money. Now abeg dem recieve 1K. After that a woman came to meet me I should register my foodstuff with them. I later sneak and after that where I was going through clearance in Qatar airline I was told if I have passager locator form because that is a requirement to go to the UK and I show them in my phone. Them force me to go and photocopy it and I was charge 1k per copy. After the clearance I met the immigration guy to stamp my visa but he delay me because I pick a phone call in his presence which he later stamp. Now so to enter plane one stupid guy stop me and ask me for money that if I did not give him he would delay me. I just gave him all my naira because my flight would soon take off then just of a sudden to meet another set of people close to the plane door begging me money again. I just told them my naira is finish and I enter plane. when I landed at Qatar then I saw the difference between Nigeria and Qutar. mehn is not only Nigeria government that need to change their mentality but Nigeria citizens too

U people are the one spoiling these people.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by hansomb: 8:53am On Nov 04, 2021
This only happens in Southern parts Nigeria airport
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by ESANMEA(f): 9:13am On Nov 04, 2021
Lol.. It's been like that and I pray things get better someday..
I remember years back when I traveled to Capetown with my virgin passport, I saw hell at the airport. They kept tossing me about for silly reasons, one even said I don't have enough money in my account to travel despite the invitation letter from my brother clearly stated that he's going to be responsible for my well-being during my stay over there.
My brother already told me to have at least ₦10000 handy to settle people at the airport, that's how I kept on distributing ₦500, ₦1000 till I entered the plane..
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by bayocanny: 9:18am On Nov 04, 2021
sochima1989:
Okay....
So I work at the airport as an airline staff and here is my advise..

1. For first time flyers.. There are certain routes known for illegal travel purposes.. Just have a clear purpose and complete travel documents if you must go there. For example, 50% of girls traveling to Dubai who can't define their purpose for travel are seen at self traffickers going to huarle(them no get legit hustle documents)

2. Know that any purpose for traveling have a supportive document.... At the boarding gate immigration will ask you.. Let's say you tell them you are going to pay your frnd a visit or you are a tourist.. You must know who you are visiting well or the city you are touring. It is better for you to pay and know these things here than shout here and get deported. Not everyone will ask you to pay sha b4 they school you.

3. If you use the wrong travel agent no how on how you must drop..
- you arrive late(90mins ) to departure... If you shout finish you will choose either to drop or pay to change your flight date
-You have an error on your documents accept your fate and correct it... You can fly another day because na begging dey start drop something

4. Avoid that act of "if I don't travel today I am. finished"

5. Lastly, you can't know the job more than the jobbers themselves... I mean travel rules and requirements change often.... So in a heated argument try and listen very well you will meet that good guy that won't rob you off your kobo.

The airport is not designed for you to tip officials....but if you come with a loophole the wrong guy will bill you.

Covid 19 has changed everything tho..

Imagine what you wrote up there.

There are lot's of irrational words you put up there l. You even encouraged travellers to pay. For what exactly?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) / Deplorable State Of Calabar Itu Road!!! / Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.