Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,474 members, 7,958,439 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:20 PM

Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel (30667 Views)

Use Enugu Airport For International Travel - Ethiopian Airlines To S-Easterners / Airport Officials Collecting Money In Place Of COVID-19 Test - Sahara Reporters / How Airport Officials Can Easily Plant Drugs On Your Luggage (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by bayumyguy: 6:00pm On Nov 03, 2021
I had the same experience 2015 when I travel to UAE but after then anytime I wanna travel I no dey gree with them atall,we go rake for ourself and free me

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 6:01pm On Nov 03, 2021
The truth is they have the right to ask you such questions at departure including proof of funds. This is to ensure that you have a place to stay upon arrival at your destination and also to prevent trafficking
Lexicon123:
I have suffered this as a first time international traveller in 2017. You can imagine being asked questions like: "where's your letter of invitation?" "Show me evidence of what you're traveling for". In my mind I was like: "Am traveling out of your country, dumbass".

Omo, that's how they kept delaying me o. And as a JJC, I was getting too anxious to go board. So I offered to give them N3k, but they were like "wetin we be to you? Small children that you will be giving Naira". I had to part with my precious $100 (about N35k at the time). After giving them, they were like: "if you didn't give us from your heart talk o". In mind I was like: "you don't know how cursed that money is to you".

I vowed that day that such thing will never happen to me again. Heartless human beings.

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 03, 2021
sirrotex:
Just recently I watched a video of an American woman who officials at the Lagos airport attempted to extort in the guise that her covid 19 documentation was incomplete.

I have also heard how officials at the airports in Nigeria extort outbound travelers especially those with Virgin passports.

This thread aims to expose the antics of corrupt airport officials and if possible report such incidences to the appropriate quarters.

Over to you guys, let the experience roll in.

The exposure started some decade's ago and nothing has changed as of 3rd of November 2021.

I also watched the viral video you're marking refrence to some weeks ago and the ministry of aviation remains muted till this very moment.

2 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by elfico(m): 6:02pm On Nov 03, 2021
sirrotex:
Bros I agree with you that it has been on for long but we should not accept what is wrong as normal. I met a guy from Nairobi 3 years ago and the only memory he has about Lagos airport is how he was fraudulently obtained by the immigration officer. Very sad indeed. These things make being a Nigerian more difficult.
The Kenyans aren't saints either. They tried extorting a friend too in JK Airport
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Annie001: 6:03pm On Nov 03, 2021
angry
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Moikiitos: 6:03pm On Nov 03, 2021
Nigeria is a disgrace to the committee of nations.

sirrotex:
Just recently I watched a video of an American woman who officials at the Lagos airport attempted to extort in the guise that her covid 19 documentation was incomplete.

I have also heard how officials at the airports in Nigeria extort outbound travelers especially those with Virgin passports.

This thread aims to expose the antics of corrupt airport officials and if possible report such incidences to the appropriate quarters.

Over to you guys, let the experience roll in.

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Annie001: 6:04pm On Nov 03, 2021
Not only airport though
I was travelling to benin republic and the man said I must pay 1k to stamp my passport, I thought it was a joke, when I spent like 30minutes I had to succumb, I got to benin own, that one said 500h, e no even look my face at all till I dropped the money
Just imagine how much they would be making in a day, Got to yellow card side too, the same thing, those people are thieves

3 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by egopersonified(f): 6:04pm On Nov 03, 2021
Please this begi begi nature is everywhere. One aboki summed it up for me as, 'God don do am for you, make you still do for us'.

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sochima1989(m): 6:06pm On Nov 03, 2021
Okay....
So I work at the airport as an airline staff and here is my advise..

1. For first time flyers.. There are certain routes known for illegal travel purposes.. Just have a clear purpose and complete travel documents if you must go there. For example, 50% of girls traveling to Dubai who can't define their purpose for travel are seen at self traffickers going to huarle(them no get legit hustle documents)

2. Know that any purpose for traveling have a supportive document.... At the boarding gate immigration will ask you.. Let's say you tell them you are going to pay your frnd a visit or you are a tourist.. You must know who you are visiting well or the city you are touring. It is better for you to pay and know these things here than shout here and get deported. Not everyone will ask you to pay sha b4 they school you.

3. If you use the wrong travel agent no how on how you must drop..
- you arrive late(90mins ) to departure... If you shout finish you will choose either to drop or pay to change your flight date
-You have an error on your documents accept your fate and correct it... You can fly another day because na begging dey start drop something

4. Avoid that act of "if I don't travel today I am. finished"

5. Lastly, you can't know the job more than the jobbers themselves... I mean travel rules and requirements change often.... So in a heated argument try and listen very well you will meet that good guy that won't rob you off your kobo.

The airport is not designed for you to tip officials....but if you come with a loophole the wrong guy will bill you.

Covid 19 has changed everything tho..

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by nedekid: 6:11pm On Nov 03, 2021
But what rubbish is this naa? This shit has been happening for years but during this regime it has gotten worse! It has never been this bad. Haba.
My aged parents that returned last week complained bitterly of the begging at the airport. The harrasment nko? Even where they parked the soldiers with guns ragged them, one even said he was a musician and played his music for them and out of courtesy or intimidation the had to listen to the music! He then asked them to launch it for him!
Is it that the officials there are making delivery to the oga at the top? Why can't this rubbish be stopped?
This national disgrace is just too much. Instead of effcc to be raiding boys on the road, why not raid the airport workers?

4 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 6:12pm On Nov 03, 2021
It's a collective effort
molawale:
I experienced same thing when i was in Nigeria in July,2021... stayed for more than 3hours to get boarding pass... after series of questions. Before people seeing u off to the airport allow to enter.. you have to bride officers at the front. Things need to be done. The impression about Nigeria Airport is bad.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 6:15pm On Nov 03, 2021
As I always advise ensure your documents are complete, stand your ground, don't give shishi
Amotolongbo:
Honestly, it is an annoying culture in MMIA, Lagos.

The most embarrassing part is that it only happens in Nigerian airport, of all the airports I’ve been.
I did not experience it in Casablanca airport in Africa.

At every point, they will tell you to drop something
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Coldie(m): 6:15pm On Nov 03, 2021
molybdenum0012:
Following. Please share your experience. I will soon travel out and don’t want any airport official to extort me in any way. Please let know their antics ahead and how to curb it. This is not acceptable and something must be done to nip it in the bud. If we don’t do something about it, it will continue forever.
If u no want problem go through Abuja airport, only thing u have to be weary about Abuja airport is begging

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 6:17pm On Nov 03, 2021
I must admit that I have heard some extortion stories about Kenya also
elfico:

The Kenyans aren't saints either. They tried extorting a friend too in JK Airport
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by saggis: 6:18pm On Nov 03, 2021
As a frequent traveler, i pass through MMA 2 times every year. I stand to defend the Airport officials including immigration. They do not extort anybody. No one is ever forced to give them anything once your documents are in order.

All they do is ask you " anything for the boys?". It's just coded begging.

Even when i sometimes overstay my visitor Visa, they still do not insist i pay anything. I usually get stamped to leave. Any thing i give them is voluntary and they never check how much it is.

If all your papers are in order, you will not need to bribe anybody. Including Customs.

3 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 6:20pm On Nov 03, 2021
These land boarder immigration officials is a story for another day
Annie001:
Not only airport though
I was travelling to benin republic and the man said I must pay 1k to stamp my passport, I thought it was a joke, when I spent like 30minutes I had to succumb, I got to benin own, that one said 500h, e no even look my face at all till I dropped the money
Just imagine how much they would be making in a day, Got to yellow card side too, the same thing, those people are thieves
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 6:21pm On Nov 03, 2021
I love this summation. But with this it should be voluntary not cohesive
egopersonified:
Please this begi begi nature is everywhere. One aboki summed it up for me as, 'God don do am for you, make you still do for us'.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sochima1989(m): 6:22pm On Nov 03, 2021
Inferior19:

My first travel out of the country I was made to pay 100 dollars for immigration. They said I was. Of having enough personal traveling allowance. And I was just going to Tanzania with traveling allowance of 800 dollars on me..Nigeria immigration nan ole all of them be..Now let's talk about the corruption going on at seme border..If you ever travel through road to seme border you will hate Nigeria immigration.

You should have at least $100 per day.... How many days did you spend there?
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 6:23pm On Nov 03, 2021
Many thanks for these rules. Very educative.
sochima1989:
Okay....
So I work at the airport as an airline staff and here is my advise..

1. For first time flyers.. There are certain routes known for illegal travel purposes.. Just have a clear purpose and complete travel documents if you must go there. For example, 50% of girls traveling to Dubai who can't define their purpose for travel are seen at self traffickers going to huarle(them no get legit hustle documents)

2. Know that any purpose for traveling have a supportive document.... At the boarding gate immigration will ask you.. Let's say you tell them you are going to pay your frnd a visit or you are a tourist.. You must know who you are visiting well or the city you are touring. It is better for you to pay and know these things here than shout here and get deported. Not everyone will ask you to pay sha b4 they school you.

3. If you use the wrong travel agent no how on how you must drop..
- you arrive late(90mins ) to departure... If you shout finish you will choose either to drop or pay to change your flight date
-You have an error on your documents accept your fate and correct it... You can fly another day because na begging dey start drop something

4. Avoid that act of "if I don't travel today I am. finished"

5. Lastly, you can't know the job more than the jobbers themselves... I mean travel rules and requirements change often.... So in a heated argument try and listen very well you will meet that good guy that won't rob you off your kobo.

The airport is not designed for you to tip officials....but if you come with a loophole the wrong guy will bill you.

Covid 19 has changed everything tho..
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by saggis: 6:26pm On Nov 03, 2021
jrusky:
Efcc should go to the Murtala airport ASAP and arrest those lazy thieves especially those idiots weighing bags at KLM front desk where you travelling iceman is first check. I have promised one of the guy there that I will sack him in that airport and jail him. The bastard is works with KLM checking bags and luggage on the floor of the airport. There are serious racketing going on on the floor of the airport.

Efcc should go to the airport and flex their muscles rather han chasing Odilli around. All airport staffs are thieves and yahoo.

Seriously I'm coming for that guy possibly he is here or Reading my comment it's a promise I will shred him and make him weep.

Airline ground staff are the least people you should worry about. they cannot do you much. Their's is just customer service. But if 23kg is allowed and you want to check in 24kg, you then at their mercy. For that 24kg to pass, you must drop something.
Other ythan that they cannot do you much. But customs. immigration and NDLEA can really f*uck you up if you do 'strong head'. The law is on their side. Mere suspicion is enough to make you miss your flight.

4 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sochima1989(m): 6:28pm On Nov 03, 2021
jrusky:
Efcc should go to the Murtala airport ASAP and arrest those lazy thieves especially those idiots weighing bags at KLM front desk where you travelling iceman is first check. I have promised one of the guy there that I will sack him in that airport and jail him. The bastard is works with KLM checking bags and luggage on the floor of the airport. There are serious racketing going on on the floor of the airport.

Efcc should go to the airport and flex their muscles rather han chasing Odilli around. All airport staffs are thieves and yahoo.

Seriously I'm coming for that guy possibly he is here or Reading my comment it's a promise I will shred him and make him weep.

Those guys are been sacked on daily basis oooo but some know how to play that racketeering game... But the people that suffer this more are the passengers that wants to carry more bags ana pay less.

If there is a case of missing � na wahala..

Just get him name and send an official report

2 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Lxc1: 6:32pm On Nov 03, 2021
Really
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by caprini1: 6:35pm On Nov 03, 2021
sirrotex:
I agree with this. But the fear and intimidation they put in the first timers is what makes them drop money
Not everyone can be intimidated bro....i remember one skinny lady once when i was traveling, honestly this lady was ready to die with any body that night at lagos airport grin

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by EllemGiggy: 6:37pm On Nov 03, 2021
Corruptions in all government agencies is very alarming
But a woman at Abeokuta Immigration Office made me ask myself if i was still in Nigeria she was really a God sent through my processing for my lost international passport all my efforts to appreciate her monetarily was politely declined as she continued telling not to bother myself.
Auntie Kemi na God go bless you for me
Thanks changing the World in your corner.

17 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Mom007(f): 6:38pm On Nov 03, 2021
my5andtom2:

If you have a virgin passport just hold like 15k or 20k in naira for settlement or else they will delay you and you might miss your flight without any form of compensation. Prevention is better than cure. My 2 cent
Chai! They like virgin passport like kilode! Lol.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 6:42pm On Nov 03, 2021
If all Travelers can have this dogged spirit then those guys would sit up
caprini1:
Not everyone can be intimidated bro....i remember one skinny lady once when i was traveling, honestly this lady was ready to die with any body that night at lagos airport grin

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Inferior19: 6:43pm On Nov 03, 2021
sirrotex:
You don't have enough travel allowance and yet still they collected 100 USD. Sad
Yes,they did.They knew that was my first time so I knew nothing about traveling..
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by foolbuster: 6:48pm On Nov 03, 2021
sirrotex:
You are so on point. 1000 likes for you. We have to change the narrative. getting the names of these people is a starting point

I agree.
What these people do is wicked, If they think what they are doing is right then they shouldn't have any issues with being publicly exposed.

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by ProphetJeroboam: 6:53pm On Nov 03, 2021
sirrotex:
They usually prey on desperate and ignorant travellers. You would be shocked that some of these officials make their demands in dollars, so your excuse of not having naira does not get to them.
Exactly. During my first time traveling with the Abuja international airport, I paid 1K and 500 naira at several posts because I saw others paying too. When my money was exhausted, one particular officer asked me for money and I told me I had my last money on Earth with me which was $100(I lied), the idiot looked around like a criminal and told me to bring it with a stern look on his face like I was owing his father money. I later gave him the last 1K I had that I was saving for sentimental purpose. Stupid people.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 6:57pm On Nov 03, 2021
Just imagine. Giving him money to do his job
ProphetJeroboam:
Exactly. During my first time traveling with the Abuja international airport, I paid 1K and 500 naira at several posts because I saw others paying too. When my money was exhausted, one particular officer asked me for money and I told me I had my last money on Earth with me which was $100(I lied), the idiot looked around like a criminal and told me to bring it with a stern look on his face like I was owing his father money. I later gave him the last 1K I had that I was saving for sentimental purpose. Stupid people.
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 6:59pm On Nov 03, 2021
This is the sort of testimony that we should be giving about our airport officials
EllemGiggy:
Corruptions in all government agencies is very alarming
But a woman at Abeokuta Immigration Office made me ask myself if i was still in Nigeria she was really a God sent through my processing for my lost international passport all my efforts to appreciate her monetarily was politely declined as she continued telling not to bother myself.
Auntie Kemi na God go bless you for me
Thanks changing the World in your corner.

4 Likes

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by bilulu(m): 7:00pm On Nov 03, 2021
my5andtom2:

If you have a virgin passport just hold like 15k or 20k in naira for settlement or else they will delay you and you might miss your flight without any form of compensation. Prevention is better than cure. My 2 cent
they beg, they don't force so if you decline they will let you pass. I came in through Abuja for Christmas last year and shi shi I no drop, something when I was leaving in January. Abuja workers are more decent, with cameras on them. They asked for dollars and I told them I don't ve and they let me pass

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Excavator Assisting People To Cross A Gutter In Lagos / Two bodies recovered from the Ojuelegba container accident (Photos) / My Bad Experience With Iyare Motors From Benin-lagos Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.