Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,169 members, 7,815,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed - Health (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed (35503 Views)

These Quack Doctors Want To Kill Me Before My Time (picture) / The Doctors Forgot A Gauze Bandage Inside Me After Surgery (Disturbing Photo) / Uniabuja Graduate Died In A Hospital After Intestine Was Blocked By The Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by megastar92: 10:44am On Nov 06, 2021
Op, if you can read this, it is most likely your momma has diabetes

1. Follow @g_diets on Twitter

2. Join his telegram group

3. Dm him on telegram with your issue

That man has got some awesome testimonials on reversing diabetes
Spark2:
Hello NL.
I'm going to keep this brief.

It started three weeks ago. my mum, who was walking normal with no problem suddenly could not walk. Her left leg began paining her severely that day. My mum was all in tears... She was rushed to the hospital where it was discovered that her sugar level was on the high side. The hospital gave drugs which stabilised it, at that point my mum was very weak, couldn't eat, each time she eat she throws up and also had some pain in the leg still. After a week in the hospital, we were then referred to a teaching hospital after a test showed that creatinine in her kidney was high.

The teaching hospital tried their best and I can say my mum is now okay. Except for the left leg. She can't still walk on it, the leg feels cold to touch with a little discolouration above the foot.

Doppler test showed that blood isn't really flowing through the leg. And they said they will need to amputate the leg to prevent the infection from growing to the other parts of the body.

Please I want to know if you know anyone who had similar condition and amputation was recommended but was later healed without need for amputation.

Please share your recommendations. I need my mum now more than before in my life. We are confused on whether to allow them to go on with the amputation or seek other alternatives.

Thank you very much.

Pls note that as at now, her sugar level, creatinine and other things are normal.

2 Likes

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by mimicherry: 10:45am On Nov 06, 2021
Karence:
Mum got amputed in 2015 diabetes wahala but her leg would have been saved some doctors sef. Worse than what led to loss her leg has happened yet d other d other leg dey. Now Whenever her sugar is high her leg decays but gets by a drug called rocephine plus flagyl prescribed by a doctor. You can research n try it
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by kowalsky: 10:49am On Nov 06, 2021
Differentiate:

Like everything is not working. Whites won't think of amputation at all they'll look for other means of survival
But here reverse is the case . op pls they should not amputate her leg .the elder sister of my mum suffered same thing after money was spent she's walking perfectly now.
Spark2 pls you said lastly that everything about her is now normal . don't allow whack doctors to amputate your mom.

Lol. Even in the Queen's palace gangrenous diabetic foot secondary to diabetic neuropathy will be amputated.

Either they do what I'm assuming to be an above the knee amputation now or they'll come back much later for a full limb amputation.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by kowalsky: 10:51am On Nov 06, 2021
izombie:
My friend, if you have money send your mom abroad immediately. Don't send her to India o. Because 90% of doctors in Nigeria are quacks. When they can't diagnose malaria, typhoid, diabetes and pneumonia they go for the kill. Never trust a Nigeria doctor. Send your mom to Europe or America, even south africa. Na beg I dey beg you o. Get a proper second opinion.

That leg will be amputated even in MARS

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by kowalsky: 10:53am On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:

No we're in Jos University Teaching Hospital
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by kowalsky: 10:56am On Nov 06, 2021
SpyChild:
Abroad they would have let a vein from another part of the body to flow through that leg until it’s stabilized and it won’t have to be amputated but it will be very expensive. However I think you should go online, watch some of dr Jason fung videos on YouTube, read the diabetes code and also the obesity code. It’s gonna help your mum if you guys can practice some of the therapies recommended therein. Good luck

So much misinformation on Nairaland and that's why you shouldn't seek help medical help from general forums.

Reperfusing the leg would only work if the tissue was alive not necrotizing. And even then success rates are low.
The onset of gangrene is a tell take marker that necrosis has already occured/is occurring.

2 Likes

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by squad03: 10:58am On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:
Hello NL.

It started three weeks ago. my mum, who was walking normal with no problem suddenly could not walk. Her left leg began paining her severely that day. My mum was all in tears... She was rushed to the hospital where it was discovered that her sugar level was on the high side. The hospital gave drugs which stabilised it, at that point my mum was very weak, couldn't eat, each time she eat she throws up and also had some pain in the leg still. After a week in the hospital, we were then referred to a teaching hospital after a test showed that creatinine in her kidney was high.

The teaching hospital tried their best and I can say my mum is now okay. Except for the left leg. She can't still walk on it, the leg feels cold to touch with a little discolouration above the foot.

Doppler test showed that blood isn't really flowing through the leg. And they said they will need to amputate the leg to prevent the infection from growing to the other parts of the body.

Please I want to know if you know anyone who had similar condition and amputation was recommended but was later healed without need for amputation.

Please share your recommendations. I need my mum now more than before in my life. We are confused on whether to allow them to go on with the amputation or seek other alternatives.

Thank you very much.

Pls note that as at now, her sugar level, creatinine and other things are normal.

I'm so sorry to hear about what your mum is going through but I'll be candid,you see that little discolouration above the foot? It can very quickly become a nightmare..... it's great that her blood sugar is looking better now but Diabetic foot is progressive and if a doppler has shown poor blood supply to that leg,act fast!
If you're not confident that an amputation is absolutely necessary as of now,get a timely second opinion maybe even from vascular surgeons to see if the affected blood channels can be bypassed....hopefully it's not gangrenous as of yet otherwise even vascular surgeons no fit.
Time is leg where diabetes is concerned.

All this soak,rub,drink,massage may have worked wonders for some people o but their background stories may be different from your mum's.For a diabetic foot,na wahala those things go cause o and a few fingers can very quickly become the whole leg and that cannot be undone.
Go easy with such recommendations especially as her kidneys have only just recovered from a rough patch.

Get a small device that checks blood sugar (glucometer), so you can make sure her sugar control continues to remain great since she uses insulin at home.

Again,time is leg!
Well done with looking after her.

2 Likes

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by squad03: 11:01am On Nov 06, 2021
kowalsky:

Lol. Even in the Queen's palace gangrenous diabetic foot secondary to diabetic neuropathy will be amputated.

Either they do what I'm assuming to be an above the knee amputation now or they'll come back much later for a full limb amputation.

Straight to the point!
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by Ok12345(f): 11:04am On Nov 06, 2021
High sugar level that scent leaf will cure in a week,never take drugs to stabilise High blood sugar, you only complicate it
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by kowalsky: 11:08am On Nov 06, 2021
InTheCloudySky:
Refuse the amputation and have her see a Neurologist asap. Walking difficulties and/or continuous problems with the legs are often a sign of brain diseases/disorders. The brain controls our walking (including both movement and balance). Have her see a well-trained Neurologist.

Lol. You need to be shot for this advice.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by kowalsky: 11:11am On Nov 06, 2021
mikestate:
not really, she could do a bypass. She probably has Peripheral Arterial disease(PAD). Which means there is a blockage or damage in the artery in the leg. It could be bypassed using the vein.

Bypassing to dead tissue or you didn't see gangrene there?
You guys will just be spewing rubbish out of ya assses
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by Tggab: 11:15am On Nov 06, 2021
Have you tried the local bone doctors? Please try it first don't conclude your mother's case to amputation. Don't rush to amputate her leg, she will walk very soon in Jesus Name
Spark2:
Hello NL.

Thank you very much.

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by squad03: 11:16am On Nov 06, 2021
texazzpete:

What did his mother ever do to you people ? Why do you want her dead?

E shock you too?
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by squad03: 11:18am On Nov 06, 2021
amendara1:
Go and get plenty bitter kola, alligator pepper cut the bitter kola into pieces and soaked it with the alligator pepper in plenty coconut water, let it stay for 7days for a Bette result, then give your mummy 20ml morning and night. May God let it work for her,

A whole 7 days!

Ok o lipsrsealed
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by PastorKosi: 11:20am On Nov 06, 2021
I'll love to pray for her. Where are you based?
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by Uncleodi(m): 11:38am On Nov 06, 2021
izombie:
My friend, if you have money send your mom abroad immediately. Don't send her to India o. Because 90% of doctors in Nigeria are quacks. When they can't diagnose malaria, typhoid, diabetes and pneumonia they go for the kill. Never trust a Nigeria doctor. Send your mom to Europe or America, even south africa. Na beg I dey beg you o. Get a proper second opinion.

90% of Nigerian doctors are quacks, yet they are doing so well when they go abroad?

I am saddened by your comments, really!

You think that amputation is an easy procedure? What do you even know about Type 2 diabetes and its complications?

You advised the op to fly her mum abroad, do you think that the process could be done in one week?

If you don't have experience about something, it is best to keep quiet than vomiting ignorance.

That woman has diabetic neuropathy from microvascular insufficiency due to poor blood sugar control.

If that leg is not amputated, it will start decaying (gangrene) and spread infection around her body (sepsis) which can kill!

I once had a patient that refused amputation and signed against medical advice, she later came back to the hospital dead.

The op said Dopler has been done and showed no evidence of blood flow to that leg... even if you do CT angio, which is available abroad, the results will be the same. Thus, 2nd opinion is not beneficial in this case, rather, good blood sugar control is advised to prevent her other leg and eyes (retinopathy) from being at risk.

Even the oyibo's you are quoting, they have good blood sugar control unlike our people in Nigeria. So you can't afford to come to the hospital when the condition is bad and expect the doctors to do magic! If it doesn't work you term them quacks.

So please, that you had a bad experience in the past with a Nigerian doctor doesn't mean you should generalise every one of the 90% as quacks.

Your response to my message will eventually reveal the kind of person you are, if you are ready to learn or otherwise and I will be waiting for it.

3 Likes

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by do4luv14(m): 11:53am On Nov 06, 2021
DisLifeSha:
She will need insulin o. To be taken regularly. This is type 2 diabetes. Go to a reliable doctor. If her sugar level is well controlled, she won't need to go through that.

I'm a type 1 diabetic and am broke right now and unable to buy this expensive insulin. I've only eaten 4 times this week.

I also have malaria now that I can't treat well because no money. This life is not easy

start by going natural, try eating enough bitter leaf soup, also drink the water,

buy bitter kola and Alligator pepper, 5seeds of the A-pepper mix with bitter kola, will work magic
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by DisLifeSha: 12:07pm On Nov 06, 2021
Unfortunately, it won't. She can change her type of diet. She might need that insulin to survive

do4luv14:

start by going natural, try eating enough bitter leaf soup, also drink the water,

buy bitter kola and Alligator pepper, 5seeds of the A-pepper mix with bitter kola, will work magic

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by Peterlove11: 12:10pm On Nov 06, 2021
DisLifeSha:
God bless you sir

You are blessed Bro.....

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by A305: 12:11pm On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:
Hello NL.

Thank you very much.

STOP the Doctors from performing that operation.

Get Astragulus to reverse your mom's kidney failure and when it's reversed, Get her on a low sugar diet and intermittent fasting.

I promise she will live very long and healthier.

And just so you know high Creatinine is a sign of failing kidney. The damage needs to be reversed ASAP.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by berrystunn(m): 12:16pm On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:
Hello NL.

Thank you very much.

What are sugar level?
Does she have kidney issue?

Seek other doctor opinion
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by silkytouch(m): 12:22pm On Nov 06, 2021
Search for @amerix on Twitter, DM him ASAP.

Drink water everyday y'all. Water is the source of life. You don't even know.

Read: You are not sick, you are thirsty.
Search on Pdfdrivedotcom
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by olusegxz: 12:23pm On Nov 06, 2021
I understand your concerns and please accept our empathy. As a medical professional there are a few things you should note. 1. What is the expertise of the consultant handling the case. 2. What hospital are you and where. Equipment of the facility is key to maintain blood in the leg it's super expensive. 3. Most importantly what is your financial capability. Whatever you decide, you need to act fast. Getting a second professional opinion is allowed in medicine. You need to find a top endocrinologist and an orthopedic to do an urgent review. Usually DM complications can be severe but treatable using surgical debridement but post surgical healing is an issue. In Nigeria except you are in a top hospital they won't have the equipment to keep blood flowing to her extremities so the standard is to ask you to cut the leg to save her life. If you are financially constrained or can't raise up to 15m to take her abroad then amputate. Don't waste money doing debridement here some private hospitals may suggest this but as she is DM this surgery and post recovery is too complex. Even our president goes abroad where they have well equipped facilities. So my advise 1. Get A quick second opinion in Nigeria for your conscience (They will say amputate). 2. Amputate here in Nigeria (Do it in a tertiary facility with proper post care). 3. Take her to Germany or suggested referrals they are best in doing debridement as most of their citizens have DM. Good luck and God will heal her but do your part and let Him do the rest. That's how God works.

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by khreus(m): 12:35pm On Nov 06, 2021
Old age and sugar palava
If e much wahala, if e no reach, another gobe
Go with the probable choice bro unless you buoyant enough to fly her out

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by Uncleodi(m): 12:36pm On Nov 06, 2021
A305:
STOP the Doctors from performing that operation.

Get Astragulus to reverse your mom's kidney failure and when it's reversed, Get her on a low sugar diet and intermittent fasting.

I promise she will live very long and healthier.

And just so you know high Creatinine is a sign of failing kidney. The damage needs to be reversed ASAP.

What of the leg that blood is not flowing through?
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by asobo1: 12:38pm On Nov 06, 2021
Spark2:

Thanks for this. Pls do you have any idea the cost of prosthetic leg fitting here in Nigeria?
Things to consider
Age, level of daily physical activity, nature and level (length) amputation, finance...all these would determine the cost of the prosthesis
but as from 500k for a mid range prosthesis (have it in mind that production cost material prices are going up by the day). May God grant her permanent healing.
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by sugarbeesmith(m): 12:38pm On Nov 06, 2021
okoroemeka:
no amount of prayer, deliverance,shaking, posturing, fasting and mimicry could make any difference in a medical case like this,my first guess is that she might be obese and managed the carb diet poorly with little or no exercise which is a killer,medical intervention is the only option if gas gangrene has developed past normal surgical debridement but the fear will be for the stump to heal after amputation which is another big problem.
if given the privilege to pray with the woman by God's grace and power . She won't need any of those amputation at all
Freely we recieve and freely we give says the spirit of the Lord...Don't limit God with your human knowledge sir. Jesus is still the same yesterday ,today and forever..
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by khreus(m): 12:40pm On Nov 06, 2021
DisLifeSha:
Unfortunately, it won't. She can change her type of diet. She might need that insulin to survive

how does this correct the blood not flowing to her extremities though?
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by DisLifeSha: 12:49pm On Nov 06, 2021
Diabetes can lead to hundreds of things if the sugar level is not well controlled. It can lead to stroke or an injury that refuses to heal. This has been my experience in my 11 years of Type 1 Diabetes. I would have been a dead man

khreus:
how does this correct the blood not flowing to her extremities though?

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by Osanoghodua1: 12:55pm On Nov 06, 2021
The hand of the Lord shall touch that leg and be healed in Jesus name, Amen
Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by DoctorStylish: 12:59pm On Nov 06, 2021
emmydee:
Let me also use this opportunity to advise everyone here.
If you are over 40 years, stop drinking beer and heavy alcohol.
Stop eating everything you see, stop eating heavily.
Eat more of fruits than carbohydrates.
Forget soft drinks, juice and the likes. They are not healthy at all.
Form the habit of drinking ginger and garlic tea morning and night.
Do not drink all those sliming tea or so called herbal tea. They actually attack your kidneys.
Eat natural nuts a lot such as groundnuts and cashew
Eat less of bread and tea
Eat chicken
Reduce intake of red meat
Forget all those baked food such as meat pie, doughnuts, etc
It is easy to eat foods and drink the best of wines and beer but when the sickness comes, even the best hospitals may not have answers.

1 Like

Re: The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed by do4luv14(m): 1:35pm On Nov 06, 2021
DisLifeSha:

who told you that,

we don't usually value what we have,

do you happen to know what the property of insulin consist of?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

How I Survived Ebola - Late Nurse's Fiance / The Food Given To Doctors At UNTH, Enugu (Photo) / All You Need To Know About The Deadly Hepatitis B Virus!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.