Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,236 members, 7,818,792 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

“Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria (41094 Views)

Address Dearth Of Cash In Banks, Afe Babalola Urges FG / The Dearth Of Quality Writers In Nigeria / Igbo Apprenticeship in Alaba is the largest business incubator in the world(vid) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Christistruth00: 2:41pm On Nov 06, 2021
macdominic22:

Nobody like suffer ohhh,why put your destiny in one person's hand for 10 years when you can learn on YouTube in 2 months

What can you learn on YouTube in 2 months

2 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by ariesbull: 2:46pm On Nov 06, 2021
GboyegaD:
The Nwa Boy is neo slavery. Many are not properly treated and in recent times, not properly compensated by their ogas which is why we hear of many stealing.
which one did your peepz introduce

1 Like

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Jaqenhghar: 2:47pm On Nov 06, 2021
pocohantas:
“School is scam”
Why then is there no cluster of youths learning skills or businesses?

People in business, what has been your experience with apprentices?
When you have a society that increasingly frowns on hardwork what do you expect.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Unruly7(m): 2:50pm On Nov 06, 2021
BlackPantherxXx:

Bro...your friends were dishonest.

You too talk true, you wanted to be servicing under Oga while servicing his daughter under you.

Talk true. cheesy

Hahahahah
Far from it boss!

My friend's weren't dishonest

You allowed someone to serve you till 9 years that's when you realize that the person isn't a good person that the person has been stealing from you

Meanwhile your business was growing all through that year and branches were opened
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by TemmyT002(m): 2:52pm On Nov 06, 2021
All of them don go do Yahoo
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 2:58pm On Nov 06, 2021
ariesbull:
which one did your peepz introduce

You don't have to come announce your misery on here.

1 Like

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by TemmyT002(m): 2:58pm On Nov 06, 2021
Sterope:
We will be left with those that barely know what they are doing. The young boys in SW would rather ride okada. Fast money, then they think they have arrived. They end up impregnating the girl that should ordinarily spend 2 years to learn a skill which is now a year because she done get belle.

South West Kids are still doing it big time.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by EgunMogaji2: 3:02pm On Nov 06, 2021
An excellent topic.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Ghostmode2two(m): 3:18pm On Nov 06, 2021
When their masters and mistresses abuse these boy's and girls and at the end other apprenticeship, they will be not compensated or sometimes Oga will accuse them of selling their telling lies against the aan excuse to chase them away without settlement or compensation. Life is on the fast lane now. Family values has erodes greatly as parents don't ask their kids where they get money from anymore. I was at one hospital when I wasn't feeling okay to see a doctor I got amazes when I over heard the doctor and one female doctor also having discussion when one of the doctors said he love treating Yahoo boys and their friends as they pay very handsomely. We have a problem in our hands with this generation of youths in this country. Even in this forum there are so many scammers parading themselves as legitimate business operators whereas opposit is the case

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by teacherbim(f): 3:30pm On Nov 06, 2021
Ghostmode2two:
When their masters and mistresses abuse these boy's and girls and at the end other apprenticeship, they will be not compensated or sometimes Oga will accuse them of selling their telling lies against the aan excuse to chase them away without settlement or compensation. Life is on the fast lane now. Family values has erodes greatly as parents don't ask their kids where they get money from anymore. I was at one hospital when I wasn't feeling okay to see a doctor I got amazes when I over heard the doctor and one female doctor also having discussion when one of the doctors said he love treating Yahoo boys and their friends as they pay very handsomely. We have a problem in our hands with this generation of youths in this country. Even in this forum there are so many scammers parading themselves as legitimate business operators whereas opposit is the case
It is well
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Theoarhics: 3:37pm On Nov 06, 2021
I predict in few years time it would be hard to get artisans to do your work. Carpenters, mechanics and the likes would be scarce in few years time cos nobody seems to learning hand work. Everybody wan do yahoo yahoo..

1 Like

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Zane2point4(m): 3:40pm On Nov 06, 2021
angry
Jman06:
Madam, we're in the 21st century! Things have changed. People are now upgrading to new models of doing business. This is the computer age.

I have always said it that if Igbo people are not careful, we'll be overthrown in the trading business for which we are currently known by Yorubas and other smarter tribes who value education and follow trends. I'm not talking about real business like real estate, tourism, media etc because I know that Yorubas are the owners of those. But at least the trading that we do, let us try and be upgrading and following trends.

How many "nwa boyi" does Jeph Bezos and the likes have None! They employ smart workforce and pay them for their services. But you want Igbos to remain in the analog age. Who will even agree to give out their children for such slavery when there are better skills to learn that can help them survive in this modern age Only an uninformed person will do that!
Trying hard to sound posh but ended up saying nothing...

What is explained above is unskilled, passing information to another how is it backwards?

Jeff bezos you mentioned go and learn what he does then where do you get funding?

Do you know how much the master will give them after the period? Atleast the good ones ive seen set his boys up with huge money and a shop and you cn even stay in his house after settlement before you stand well. This is basically for ppl frm poor homes always think well before typing.

3 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by CAPTIVATOR: 3:41pm On Nov 06, 2021
Unruly7:
I did boy boy for 8 years in Abuja between 2008 to January 2017
I was given 1m to start business

My good friend I met in the market too after he served his oga for 9 years they chased him out because of 40k they found under his bed

My other guy had issues with his Oga because he bought bag to be putting sales money without telling his Oga

What boys go through in the hands of the so called Oga isn't funny at all especially when your freedom is getting close

After they gave me 1m they still set me up with phone they almost arrested me as God may have it
Phone fell out of my madam clothes

It was a disgraceful thing that day
She did apologize to me

But till today me and her no de talk

They been wan ruin me

I senior my boss kids but he's first daughter don ever slap me by order from her mother
All because I wake up to go pee in bathroom unfortunately I met the small in the bathroom

My offence was I didn't knock before entering meanwhile the girl didn't close the bathroom door door because of fear

Well she asked her daughter to slap me infront of my Oga and other kids

My boss felt bad but can't talk
The wife is bossy

The bolded, why are many married men like this ?
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by shizzleStar: 3:42pm On Nov 06, 2021
Zenithh:
They have stopped learning trade. They have all joined IPOB to be causing mayhem in their region. Lazy youths that just want to become touts and be collecting illegal money from hardworking pple. Go to under bridge they are there. Go to upper I weak they are being recruited as touts/cultists and street urchins grin
you're a dimwit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by YoungBlackRico(m): 3:44pm On Nov 06, 2021
ImmaculateJOE:
Ndigbos apprenticeship system of formation (Imu ahia or Igba boy) have produced more Self-reliant individuals than UNN, UI, ABU, OAU and UNILAG combine.

Read me again Sir... I said self-reliant individual not government workers nor politicians. I am not claiming the richest either, but the most self-dependent people..

You can take it to the bank.
What kind of mumu individual is this? Who is dragging what with you? They said something is dying off you're here beating chest. Shior!
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by CAPTIVATOR: 3:44pm On Nov 06, 2021
EraseTheDot:
The system has become modern day slavery. Those ibo men go to the village to bring those boys and then turn them to slaves, they make them sleep in the shop, while oga madam brings food for them the next day, she instructs some of the boys to go home and clean up the children's poo. Their oga sometimes delay in settling them after end of service, he might even accuse the boys of stealing his money and then hand them over to the police to be beaten up and detained just because he doesn't want to settle the them.
Having seen the maltreatment become popular among their ogas, they either japa with any amount they can steal from their oga & start life afresh or join yahoo as a means of escape.

erase the dot

Hmmm
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by shizzleStar: 3:57pm On Nov 06, 2021
Nothingserious:

True to an extent.

But sometimes the boys will steal Oga’s money or goods or even use their own accounts to receive payments meant for oga’s account.
That’s against the codes of the trade.

Some will open accounts secretly and hide away big phones that are permanently on silence mode. They use it at night without OGA’s knowledge.

Some smarter ones open accounts for their relations and friends and stash money there that can never be traced by oga.

Some open accounts with false names and save so much money. When they are settled with N2m, they go and do name change and become big boys overnight.

Some Ogas also overdo the thing. They accuse you falsely around the 5th -7th year when you are due for settlement and send you back with nothing. Even if you stay, there will be a lot of mistrust. And to make matters worse, some will collect back all your SIM cards so you don’t ever contact their key customers and convert to your own. But trust the smart boys, they start writing down every phone number in books ahead of time.

However a good number of Ogas had done well, settled their boys well, opened shops close to theirs for them, allow them still sleep in their houses for a while until they balance well, allow them come to their shop with customers and claim it is their second shop, offer credits to the boys who sell and refund later, and some even allow the boys use their company names as subsidiaries on their invoices and signage just to encourage them.

Some of the boys treated well end up growing large and even supporting the old oga when OGA’s hand is no longer “financially strong”.
You are well informed. Your submission is near accurate

Only area left is the role some madams play in all of these.

There are instances were some nwaboys went awol or ran away from ogas house due to the wickedness and overbearing attitudes of their madam, they couldn't endure any longer so they had to pack out secretly and leave their ogas house even without touching or taking a single dime from ogas money.

I'm a witness to an incidence like that just about 2months ago. In this case, it was the 2 umu boy that ran away, the wife literarily pursued them.

The oga was gracious and honest enough to confirm that not even a Kobo of his money was missing

Some ogas are so weak that their wives more or less dictates how things are done in the shop or house, even when it's against their wish.

Their wives are more controlling, domineering, aggressive, insensitive as if they're the ones marrying the man. Sometimes they shout or maltreat umu boy even in the presence of the oga and the mumu man will be there without action or saying anything instead he'll just be looking like a castrated donkey

5 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by descarado: 3:57pm On Nov 06, 2021
joyandfaith:

Many of them would come to learn skills and businesses after graduation from universities or polytechnics. Unemployment will reset their brains. It is already happening. The era of keeping boys or girls for years in apprenticeship business has gone.
What is essense of learning a job for 10 years?
In the future, many would learn jobs poorly and this would lead to proliferation of vocational training schools with government regulating them.
Not they will come. They are learning. Some graduates are traders. I know so many of them.

But point of correction. Nwa boy is not 10 yrs.
If you have jsce, it's normally 6 yrs. Those that stay longer went in as kid. They are sent to school by their masters most of the time. One with ssce don't stay more than 4 yrs. If your family is loaded, 3 yrs max.
These days families pay oga to train their children to learn trade. Especially ones from well to do families. When they finish, the oga don't settle them. There are many categories of nwa boy.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Prettyclown: 4:08pm On Nov 06, 2021
That's why President Buhari named them lazy youths...them no wan work, nah quick money dem de find...awon gee boys werey
pocohantas:
“School is scam”

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Commentor: 4:12pm On Nov 06, 2021
Calitoscassius:
Sounds like normalised child labour, exploitations and abuse to me. I can bet my left balls that most nigerian ignoramuses on here will disagree.

Oya! Start! cheesy with your dumb remarks.

Apprenticeship isn't a Nigerian word you know?

Would you consider a prodigious football player as one involved in child labour?

1 Like

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by victorazy(m): 4:13pm On Nov 06, 2021
GboyegaD:
The Nwa Boy is neo slavery. Many are not properly treated and in recent times, not properly compensated by their ogas which is why we hear of many stealing.

Sorry bro! Your context is gibberish baseless.

Stealing should be before poor compensation
Or after poor compensation?
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 4:15pm On Nov 06, 2021
victorazy:

Sorry bro! Your context is baseless.

Sorry if you have issues with comprehension.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by mightyhaze: 4:15pm On Nov 06, 2021
GboyegaD:
loool.. the cash aspect is icing on cake. The koko is learning the trade or handwork..

Alot of well to do men send their kids or relatives to learn a particular trade .. agreement is just 'teach my son this trade in 2 or 3 years..leave settlement'. They set up their kids afterwards with all the money and logistics they require

2 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 4:18pm On Nov 06, 2021
mightyhaze:
loool.. the cash aspect is icing on cake. The koko is learning the trade or handwork..

Alot of well to do men send their kids or relatives to learn a particular trade .. agreement is just 'teach my son this trade in 2 or 3 years..leave settlement'. They set up their kids afterwards with all the money and logistics they require

Growing up with many around, you realize they are deprived of basic stuffs in the name of they don't want to spoil them. At the advent of GSM, oga's kids in High School uses phones and nwa boys couldn't. That for me was depriving them of basics.

For the stealing, I think it is because of how oga treated some of the boys so the junior ones try to be smart to avoid stories that touch.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by BJanta: 4:24pm On Nov 06, 2021
pocohantas:
“School is scam”

Drug routes to India have taken up the Nwa boys, a more lucrative crime than how to procure fake spare parts or produce fake drugs for sale.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Sheriman(m): 4:26pm On Nov 06, 2021
The advent of Yahoo Yahoo and gravity of moral decadence in our contemporary society praising, glorifying and giving recognition to these Yahoo boys are making them to believe this is the only way to make money and nothing else you could do to get rich except fraud. Some of these guys are even into rituals mostly this our contemporary youths don't even want to stress or work before getting money which make them to find solace in money rituals or internet related activities.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by descarado: 4:27pm On Nov 06, 2021
GboyegaD:

Growing up with many around, you realize they are deprived of basic stuffs in the name of they don't want to spoil them. At the advent of GSM, oga's kids in High School uses phones and nwa boys couldn't. That for me was depriving them of basics.
That is a very big lie. Who told you nwa boy don't use GSM that time?
Seems you people don't know what nwa boy is.

Senior nwa boy often give money to oga kids.
They buy those things for oga children and oga will look the other way. Some oga children that went to university runs things with the Seniors.
Most of the things I see people write here shows they don't know shit about nwa boy.

Let me tell you.
As a young babe, you will prefer to date nwa boy than oga cos they are the ones that spend the money. Most ogas are aware. They believe that if you work hard, then play hard but use your sense.
Of course, there are the bad ones. But those bad ones don't get people to serve them later as news about their behaviour circulates.

2 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Zenithh: 4:30pm On Nov 06, 2021
shizzleStar:
you're a dimwit
Ipob terrorist,e pain u ba? grin

Lazy youth
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by GreaterFuture(m): 4:30pm On Nov 06, 2021
GboyegaD:
You dey mind that girl??
I would expect her article to be very balanced, but no!

1 Like

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by descarado: 4:31pm On Nov 06, 2021
victorazy:

Sorry bro! Your context is gibberish baseless.

He don't know Jack about nwa boy.
Some nwa boy fly outside the country for biz, lodge in the best hotels.
Some become business partners of their oga after settlement.

Some even marry their oga children.

Nwa boy still dey. Even as graduates they still dey. Not everybody want to work for govt.

5 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Nothingserious: 4:31pm On Nov 06, 2021
shizzleStar:
You are well informed. Your submission is near accurate

Only area left is the role some madams play in all of these.

There are instances were some nwaboys went awol or ran away from ogas house due to the wickedness and overbearing attitudes of their madam, they couldn't endure any longer so they had to pack out secretly and leave their ogas house even without touching or taking a single dime from ogas money.

I'm a witness to an incidence like that just about 2months ago. In this case, it was the 2 umu boy that ran away, the wife literarily pursued them.

The oga was gracious and honest enough to confirm that not even a Kobo of his money was missing

Some ogas are so weak that their wives more or less dictates how things are done in the shop or house, even when it's against their wish.

Their wives are more controlling, domineering, aggressive, insensitive as if they're the ones marrying the man. Sometimes they shout or maltreat umu boy even in the presence of the oga and the mumu man will be there without action or saying anything instead he'll just be looking like a castrated donkey

Na waoooo.
Some women and their wahala.
Thanks for the enlightenment

1 Like

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 06, 2021
Shellsploit:
You wont blame them... Everyone no wan stress to make money!!
This days, Boys now dey dey YAHOO!!
Girls dey HOOKUPS & ESTEEMOO

What's ESTEEMOO

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Working In Mortuary Same Experience With Working As Banker – Female Mortician / Truck Carrying Frozen Chicken Spills Content After A 3-vehicle Collision / Finishing Pictures Of Owerri Mall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.