Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,432 members, 7,954,716 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:48 AM

“Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria (41491 Views)

Address Dearth Of Cash In Banks, Afe Babalola Urges FG / The Dearth Of Quality Writers In Nigeria / Igbo Apprenticeship in Alaba is the largest business incubator in the world(vid) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 7:03pm On Nov 06, 2021
descarado:

Apprenticeship is synonymous with igbo and I'm igbo. Do you know better than me?

It's OK anyway.

Just so people stop rubbing mud on the face of this wonderful thing that has brought happiness to the faces of many homes especially in igboland.

Wonder how igbo man would have faired after the civil war if not Apprenticeship.
Respect it please. We respect it a lot.
Even though less people are into it now as before bit we still give respect to whom respect is due.

All I know is in recent times, it is not what it used to be.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Kay25(m): 7:07pm On Nov 06, 2021
pocohantas:
“School is scam”
Why then is there no cluster of youths learning skills or businesses?

People in business, what has been your experience with apprentices?
the world is evolving so fast this days that somethings can't remain as it used to be and the work ethics or this present age is fast changing due to high tech revolution and that seems to be a great challenge to the approach of each an individual who wants to be presently fit to the society so don't blame the dearth in the apprenticeship system on laziness or the quick rich syndrome which I don't deny it has effect but look at the age we are at
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by descarado: 7:10pm On Nov 06, 2021
GboyegaD:

All I know is in recent times, it is not what it used to be.
Now you are talking.
Yes, in recent times everything not only Apprenticeship has changed in Nigeria.
That not withstanding, Apprenticeship still exist and is still uplifting many people.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 7:14pm On Nov 06, 2021
descarado:

Now you are talking.
Yes, in recent times everything not only Apprenticeship has changed in Nigeria.
That not withstanding, Apprenticeship still exist and is still uplifting many people.

This is what I have been stating since.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Lovelyn451(f): 7:18pm On Nov 06, 2021
When pride has taken over u guys, nobody wan humble again. Guys that went through this process are wiser and more useful to the society than the ones that went to school sef
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by RodgersAkpafu: 7:54pm On Nov 06, 2021
moneyissweet:
It is simple

Everybody now including the parents and "nwa boy" choro ego mbute.They want to blow today and tomorrow. No one is interested to learn anything again. That is why kidnapping, ritual, prostitution and armed robbery is on the rise.

I think that "nwa boy" thing ended in 1999. What we have in the village now are young kidnappers,weed smokers and cultists.

They all have ak47,some are even begging me to be my personal bodyguard this December. These are young boys of 18,19 .

Uwa emebigo Biko
Uwa mmebi undecided
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by RodgersAkpafu: 8:02pm On Nov 06, 2021
descarado:

Apprenticeship is synonymous with igbo and I'm igbo. Do you know better than me?

It's OK anyway.

Just so people stop rubbing mud on the face of this wonderful thing that has brought happiness to the faces of many homes especially in igboland.

Wonder how igbo man would have faired after the civil war if not Apprenticeship.
Respect it please. We respect it a lot.
Even though less people are into it now as before bit we still give respect to whom respect is due.
The apprenticeship thing was not only an igbo man thing though
Dangote was what we would have called "nwa boy" to his uncle.
The tailors and mechanics were all "boys" at some point
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by RodgersAkpafu: 8:05pm On Nov 06, 2021
shizzleStar:
You are well informed. Your submission is near accurate

Only area left is the role some madams play in all of these.

There are instances were some nwaboys went awol or ran away from ogas house due to the wickedness and overbearing attitudes of their madam, they couldn't endure any longer so they had to pack out secretly and leave their ogas house even without touching or taking a single dime from ogas money.

I'm a witness to an incidence like that just about 2months ago. In this case, it was the 2 umu boy that ran away, the wife literarily pursued them.

The oga was gracious and honest enough to confirm that not even a Kobo of his money was missing

Some ogas are so weak that their wives more or less dictates how things are done in the shop or house, even when it's against their wish.

Their wives are more controlling, domineering, aggressive, insensitive as if they're the ones marrying the man. Sometimes they shout or maltreat umu boy even in the presence of the oga and the mumu man will be there without action or saying anything instead he'll just be looking like a castrated donkey
And these women often times are from poor homes themselves
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by victorazy(m): 8:32pm On Nov 06, 2021
GboyegaD:

Sorry if you have issues with comprehension.

So because Oga A didn't settle his nwa boy we instigated rise of stealing? Rubbish! Thief na thief!
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by izzou(m): 8:36pm On Nov 06, 2021
pope191:
Husband and wife thread... Izzou I am not saying anything ooo, but you have old soul grin broda Izzou do d needful and let nairalanders rejoice with both of u grin

Na me go use you for rituals las last

grin
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by frankfrancis871: 10:13pm On Nov 06, 2021

Do you Know what lotta people go through because of "Nwaboy", even though it's still popular; it will soon die off because of greediness, wickedness of some bosses.

I'm a witness, my advise is if you can.. go to school and maybe find a GOOD boss to serve if you truly wish to serve someone.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by frankfrancis871: 10:16pm On Nov 06, 2021
izzou:
Imu ahia still exists. If you go to major markets, you'll still see such practices. The major issue is finishing the program. E dey hard dem to finish

But I think the current dispensation we are in is the major cause of its dearth

Back then, only few cities in Lagos were considered as where one can make it; Lagos, Kano, Onitsha... But now, every place don open. One doesn't need to go that far to learn a trade. People dey serve Oga for Awka and Nnewi sef grin

Also, we won't rule out the urge to make fast money. Young boys and girls see their counterparts cashing out through fraud, drugs and other stuff. It would take the grace of God to put those thoughts behind and serve for 6 years.

Now is even better. In the future, getting a bit to serve you and finish would be like searching for gold. E go hard

Bro, I went through hell all in the name of "Nwaboy", though maybe it varies depending on who you served..

I will never recommend that to someone else
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by frankfrancis871: 10:17pm On Nov 06, 2021
YeyeGbami:
Nwa boy wey him eye don open, na the money wey dey enter him oga akant him dey eye. After learning for some months he go run off, mumu go think say he don sabi.

Go ladipo you will see them, they don’t know jack sh*t they just want to make money.

Oga, I'm not supporting the bad guys but if you know what we go through. Hmmm
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by karli4nia(m): 10:34pm On Nov 06, 2021
pocohantas:
cheesy

Hey what's cracking
E be like say you do environmental sanitation..

The road to your compound been inaccessible
Plus seem you got a new piece of land lately..
Well done o..

Well, you know the way to my houses, you can always drop by if it pleases you...

Cheers PocolinBaby..

1 Like

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 10:44pm On Nov 06, 2021
pocohantas:
“School is scam”
Why then is there no cluster of youths learning skills or businesses?

People in business, what has been your experience with apprentices?

Nwa boy has outlived its time. It did help Igbos rebuild themselves economically after the Civil war but in an Internet age, it does more harm than good to Igbos. Rather than learn trading for close to ten years only to be settled with a partly amount (naira devaluation and inflation), they should learn a lucrative digital skill that will see them earn in dollars within a short period of time. Besides, trading isn't that profitable as it used to be as Nigerians have gotten poorer, high cost of importation and doing business in the country. Also, trading does not offer the boy or girl any relevant skill as anyone can learn how to sell. Actual manufacturing offers relevant skills, unfortunately manufacturing in Nigeria is a foolhardy decision to make.

I rather have the poorest and youngest of Igbos learn coding/video editing/high end graphic design/UI and UX within two years and begin earning in dollars as opposed to doing Nwa Boy for close to a decade only to be settled with one million naira (that can be attained within six months of being a programmer).

3 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 10:47pm On Nov 06, 2021
InoGetJoy:

This is false. There are cases where things dont work out well, but it does it most cases. Nwa boy is what made Anambra State to have the highest number of billionaires in africa

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Harddiskng(m): 10:48pm On Nov 06, 2021
Unruly7:
I did boy boy for 8 years in Abuja between 2008 to January 2017
I was given 1m to start business

My good friend I met in the market too after he served his oga for 9 years they chased him out because of 40k they found under his bed

My other guy had issues with his Oga because he bought bag to be putting sales money without telling his Oga

What boys go through in the hands of the so called Oga isn't funny at all especially when your freedom is getting close

After they gave me 1m they still set me up with phone they almost arrested me as God may have it
Phone fell out of my madam clothes

It was a disgraceful thing that day
She did apologize to me

But till today me and her no de talk

They been wan ruin me

I senior my boss kids but he's first daughter don ever slap me by order from her mother
All because I wake up to go pee in bathroom unfortunately I met the small girl in the bathroom

My offence was I didn't knock before entering meanwhile the girl didn't close the bathroom door door because of fear

Well she asked her daughter to slap me infront of my Oga and other kids

My boss felt bad but can't talk
The wife is bossy

Senior man this your story touch me. Working 24/7 for 8 long years for N1m.

Omo! God help us. The things we humans do to eachother ehn.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by YeyeGbami: 10:55pm On Nov 06, 2021
frankfrancis871:

Oga, I'm not supporting the bad guys but if you know what we go through. Hmmm

I can’t imagine really, i wish you the best tho.

1 Like

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by AmadorSays: 11:58pm On Nov 06, 2021
Na wa, at least Thank God now you have your freedom
Unruly7:
I did boy boy for 8 years in Abuja between 2008 to January 2017

My good friend I met in the market too after he served his oga for 9 years they chased him out because of 40k they found under his bed

My other guy had issues with his Oga because he bought bag to be putting sales money without telling his Oga

What boys go through in the hands of the so called Oga isn't funny at all especially when your freedom is getting close

After they gave me 1m they still set me up with phone they almost arrested me as God may have it

She did apologize to me

They been wan ruin me

I senior my boss kids but he's first daughter don ever slap me by order from her mother
All because I wake up to go pee in bathroom unfortunately I met the small girl in the bathroom

My offence was I didn't knock before entering meanwhile the girl didn't close the bathroom door door because of fear

The wife is bossy
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Calitoscassius(m): 12:34am On Nov 07, 2021
Commentor:

Apprenticeship isn't a Nigerian word you know?

Would you consider a prodigious football player as one involved in child labour?

Precisely what i said, normalised child abuse, labour and exploitations in the name of apprenticeship.

Yes, i would. Besides they would be paid for been a footballer unlike this type of nigerian "apprenticeship" exploitations more like.

I read also on this article that in the case some nigerian so called apprenticeship they are treated badly by their so called Madams or Oga and they are not paid wereas that wouldn't happen to a kid footballer.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by calcal: 12:38am On Nov 07, 2021
The entire global system is YAHOO YAHOO,

We have legal YAHOO acceptable by the system and illegal YAHOO not acceptable by the system.

An example of legal yahoo is US penny stocks, the supply keeps increasing while your money is limiting to zero, but the government gives them the full backing to do so. it is called business. in the end, you lose your entire portfolio while they are getting rich.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by einsteine(m): 1:51am On Nov 07, 2021
OP is calling for the return of slavery and indentured servitude. In the 21st century, there are better models than getting free labor all in the name of "NWA boy".
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by einsteine(m): 2:01am On Nov 07, 2021
Commentor:

Apprenticeship isn't a Nigerian word you know?

Would you consider a prodigious football player as one involved in child labour?

The youth football player gets paid a stipend, is sent to regular school and is not converted into a domestic servant. Apprenticeship is about learning. In Germany, auto parts manufacturers have apprenticeship systems where the focus is on practical training and certificates are even awarded.

The Igbo system is more of indentured servitude not an apprenticeship. That's why 95% of the boys are from poor homes.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by EduBrazil1991(m): 7:34am On Nov 07, 2021
[quote author=Unruly7 post=107378799]I did boy boy for 8 years in Abuja between 2008 to January 2017

She did apologize to me

They been wan ruin me

The wife is bossy

Many things we passed through.

I will never advice anyone to go and serve anybody again.

I served e my cousin with the agreement that after 4 years he will sponsor my education in any federal institutions.

Guess what, after 5 years he gave me 600k and told me to go to my parents so they can add more money for me to start my own.

We are into building materials and this happened in 2019. Tell me wetin 600k go start in building materials business.

Las las I started and by 2021 January and after covid everything crashed.

I dey Abuja dey do painting work now.

None of my siblings will ever do Boy boy rather we go learn handwork.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 8:01am On Nov 07, 2021
This thread isn’t calling for the old model or apprenticeship. I just wan know why youths no dey gree learn work these days, despite the shorter duration.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by folake4u(f): 8:29am On Nov 07, 2021
pocohantas:
This thread isn’t calling for the old model or apprenticeship. I just wan know why youths no dey gree learn work these days, despite the shorter duration.

According to them "Na illegal money dey sweet pass"
"Dorime nor be for civil servants"
cheesy

1 Like

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 8:32am On Nov 07, 2021
folake4u:

According to them "Na illegal money dey sweet pass"
"Dorime nor be for civil servants"
cheesy

Hahaha. Them no dey use salary do dorime. Doings levels.

Happy Sunday to you.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by folake4u(f): 8:33am On Nov 07, 2021
pocohantas:

Hahaha. Them no dey use salary do dorime. Doings levels.

Happy Sunday to you.

Ehen you get am wella! cool

Happy Sunday to you too, Mama.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Vicdgreat556(m): 8:43am On Nov 07, 2021
All this things happens in the past, actually I knew many people who was brought from village to cities,who put their head down, and today dey are doing just fine...some are even doing well than their boss... While some of the so called boss are even broke, thanks to the boy dey helped who's now helping them in return... While some broke boss have no one to help Dem,because dey really treated their boy badly wen he was with them.. especially the oga wife..

But this days,u hardly see who wanna put his or head down and learn,because d world has lost the virtue of patient... The ones who will come from village, already has a target to mk it big in 5months time.. thereby wrecking oga shop, stealing,and some will run...

Infact with the many abnormalities happening from this so called boys,many oga has lost hope,and just wanna run their business alone..

It has even gotten to extent some boys will arrange to kidnap their oga...
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by pascalbenz: 8:57am On Nov 07, 2021
emmanuelbrown26:

Poco talk to young girls around u, pls do that for the society. On my own, I have being helping in talking to guys around me.
Atleast within the last 4months, I can beat my chest and tell u that 2 guys I gave advice and encouragement on what they learnt hv gone back to it instead of waiting for owo mi da in the junction every morning and evening and they are always grateful for the advice and encouragement.
bro, pls I will need your advice in a certain issue .. How do I contact you ...
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by emmanuelbrown26: 9:34am On Nov 07, 2021
Rydermaverick:

E be like say na comfam hairdresser you be with this your description..
Na big aunty bi that ohhhhhh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fraud, Perjury, & Insider Trading At Flutterwave - David Hundeyin / Femi Otedola With Dangote And His Daughter, Halima (Photo) / Lady Cries Out After Finding That The Bulk Clothes She Purchased Were All RAGS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.