Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,200 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

“Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria (41096 Views)

Address Dearth Of Cash In Banks, Afe Babalola Urges FG / The Dearth Of Quality Writers In Nigeria / Igbo Apprenticeship in Alaba is the largest business incubator in the world(vid) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 4:37pm On Nov 06, 2021
illicit:
It's somehow, I have seen where apprentice at a tailoring or hairdressing shop will often go to fetch water, clean the house and cook at their Oga's house by weekend

I don't agree with that system

Pls help me like this post

https://www.nairaland.com/6837037/20-giveaway-closes-5p.m-uk#107374895
That style is more rampant among Yoruba people. I don't send my apprentice on anything outside what is related to what they are learning.

1 Like

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by illicit(m): 4:38pm On Nov 06, 2021
MISSCONGENIALITY:
That style is more rampant among Yoruba people. I don't send my apprentice on anything outside what is related to what they are learning.

You are the best
Pls help me click this link and like the post there
https://www.nairaland.com/6837037/20-giveaway-closes-5p.m-uk#107374895

1 Like

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Kennyking1234: 4:38pm On Nov 06, 2021
nonsense "nwa boy" is the most pragmatic form of education in Nigeria, unlike the useless university education in Nigeria...
Jman06:
Madam, we're in the 21st century! Things have changed. People are now upgrading to new models of doing business. This is the computer age.

I have always said it that if Igbo people are not careful, we'll be overthrown in the trading business for which we are currently known by Yorubas and other smarter tribes who value education and follow trends. I'm not talking about real business like real estate, tourism, media etc because I know that Yorubas are the owners of those. But at least the trading that we do, let us try and be upgrading and following trends.

How many "nwa boyi" does Jeph Bezos and the likes have None! They employ smart workforce and pay them for their services. But you want Igbos to remain in the analog age. Who will even agree to give out their children for such slavery when there are better skills to learn that can help them survive in this modern age Only an uninformed person will do that!
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Skyfornia(m): 4:41pm On Nov 06, 2021
deepwater:
Nigeria would surfer a decrease of good mechanics in the next 15 years...

Nobody dey learn work again

This is scary...I cringe at the thought of it.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by samwillyco1(m): 4:41pm On Nov 06, 2021
The problem is not the desire to serve the so called master ( oga ) but the ill treatment majority of them got during the service duration and majority ended up not been settled by their masters due to one allegation or the order, even some that are been settled are giving little ( imagine serving OGA for Eight years and he settled you with 200k-800k ).
Secondly reason that discouraged people from igba boy is the way some Ndi Oga uses their boys to make money spiritually thereby useless them forever ( some makes their apprentice mad ).
I prefer people learning skill ( Handwork ), because even if you have problems with your Oga he cannot collect the skill you learnt from him
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by LordOfTheGame: 4:46pm On Nov 06, 2021
I did boy boy for two years and my Oga was flogging me like say na me killed his ancestors, also his sister was putting me into serious temptation; imagine a grownup lady sleeping completely naked inside the same room we all were staying and when I wake up and see the shrine, I go begin shiver. Na so she catch me oooh, go report me to my Oga fìancee then and the bitch told my Oga without considering that I was a young chap that needed guidance and directions. Na so take give me two weeks suspension and sent me to the village. My dad (May His soul rest in peace, we lost him two weeks ago) asked me if I wanted to return to my Oga or to school, I chose school and dad approved it immediately and thereafter wrote an eye opening letter to my Oga. Explained to him that he didn't sell his child to him but rather on a friendly request from my Oga he allowed me to go. He also told my Oga how he failed to protect the young me from any kind of negative influences and it was wrong to have allowed all us to be sleeping in the same room when with his younger sister even though my Oga have become a landlord as at then. My dad talked to him and he saw reasons and wanted to apologise but dad already told him in the letter to allow me pick my personal belongings and return home to start school again and my Oga was broken because he was wrongly advised by friends t suspend me (the then pillar of his business) and since then we haven't crossed part again. 21 yrs after, I finished my schooling, moved to Europe and doing considerably well but dad is no more to enjoy from the fruit of h8s labour and sacrifice.

5 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 4:53pm On Nov 06, 2021
However, some apprentice prefer to roam the streets than to settle down and lean. Out of my 3 apprentice, the only one I can trust with sewing is the youngest who 15 and an SS1 student who comes on weekends and holidays. The worst one a a lady that graduatrfy since 2010 and didn't do any work and didn't learn any skill till now. Yes, she's not willing to calm down and learn..she comes when she likes and lives when she likes.. sometimes in a whole week you won't see her. The only thing I did was I told her I won't teach her again once her payment expires. She claimed she had leaned from a fashion school but she knows nothing. Most people don't want to calm down and develop themselves.

1 Like

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 4:56pm On Nov 06, 2021
descarado:

That is a very big lie. Who told you nwa boy don't use GSM that time?
Seems you people don't know what nwa boy is.

Senior nwa boy often give money to oga kids.
They buy those things for oga children and oga will look the other way. Some oga children that went to university runs things with the Seniors.
Most of the things I see people write here shows they don't know shit about nwa boy.

Let me tell you.
As a young babe, you will prefer to date nwa boy than oga cos they are the ones that spend the money. Most ogas are aware. They believe that if you work hard, then play hard but use your sense.
Of course, there are the bad ones. But those bad ones don't get people to serve them later as news about their behaviour circulates.

Speak for the ones you know ma.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Olisehinnocent: 5:03pm On Nov 06, 2021
Back then in Benin, we are selling curtain. My oga is do supply curtain material to a lot of traders. We do sew curtain and bedspread too. Guess what, my oga will be giving us 100 naira every morning for food. We are five boys then, we have to buy two fufu with no meat or one fufu and one meat cheesy grin At the end my oga no geh money again.

1 Like

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by InoGetJoy: 5:04pm On Nov 06, 2021
GboyegaD:
The Nwa Boy is neo slavery. Many are not properly treated and in recent times, not properly compensated by their ogas which is why we hear of many stealing.
This is false. There are cases where things dont work out well, but it does it most cases. Nwa boy is what made Anambra State to have the highest number of billionaires in africa
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by TOPCRUISE(m): 5:08pm On Nov 06, 2021
People advocate marriage than apprenticeship. An apprentice will be troubled with the question by busybodies about why he or she is not married. Before you know it he has impregnated someone or she get impregnated by one sugar boy yahoo.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by flokii: 5:08pm On Nov 06, 2021
Your nwa boy or whatever is out of fashion.. learning a skill for 6-10 months is different from servitude to one oga for 6-10 years.

There is nothing you can't learn online in this jet age so enslaving people is a no no.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by JustforMen: 5:21pm On Nov 06, 2021
ImmaculateJOE:
Ndigbos apprenticeship system of formation (Imu ahia or Igba boy) have produced more Self-reliant individuals than UNN, UI, ABU, OAU and UNILAG combine.

Read me again Sir... I said self-reliant individual not government workers nor politicians. I am not claiming the richest either, but the most self-dependent people..

You can take it to the bank.

I agree with you 100%
Havard University recognizes it as a viable business model too!
it is a brilliant scheme by the smart brains of the SE to recover and even stand out after the war. That is smart thinking not all the lefulefu shouting around these days.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Guzx: 5:24pm On Nov 06, 2021
Oh
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by emmanuelbrown26: 5:25pm On Nov 06, 2021
pocohantas:
Way back when you go to get your hair done, you will almost beg for breathing space because as the shop owner is making the hair, almost 6 girls are struggling to see what she is doing. Both the ones that smell good and the ones that don’t.

The good part was you don’t have to be giving attachment (I haven’t met just one lady that loves doing this). These days ehn, na just you and the hairdresser with her crying and restless toddler. cheesy
Poco talk to young girls around u, pls do that for the society. On my own, I have being helping in talking to guys around me.
Atleast within the last 4months, I can beat my chest and tell u that 2 guys I gave advice and encouragement on what they learnt hv gone back to it instead of waiting for owo mi da in the junction every morning and evening and they are always grateful for the advice and encouragement.

2 Likes

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by ultimateprof: 5:35pm On Nov 06, 2021
Imuahia which is igbaboy has produced more independent persons than Nigeria university's . To me, little education is okay, but too much Education na scam!
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 5:45pm On Nov 06, 2021
InoGetJoy:

This is false. There are cases where things dont work out well, but it does it most cases. Nwa boy is what made Anambra State to have the highest number of billionaires in africa

In the days when it had its values. Just like the society, most things in naija has lost their values.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Angelacruz: 5:48pm On Nov 06, 2021
Nawoo...
Unruly7:
I did boy boy for 8 years in Abuja between 2008 to January 2017
I was given 1m to start business

My good friend I met in the market too after he served his oga for 9 years they chased him out because of 40k they found under his bed

My other guy had issues with his Oga because he bought bag to be putting sales money without telling his Oga

What boys go through in the hands of the so called Oga isn't funny at all especially when your freedom is getting close

After they gave me 1m they still set me up with phone they almost arrested me as God may have it
Phone fell out of my madam clothes

It was a disgraceful thing that day
She did apologize to me

But till today me and her no de talk

They been wan ruin me

I senior my boss kids but he's first daughter don ever slap me by order from her mother
All because I wake up to go pee in bathroom unfortunately I met the small in the bathroom

My offence was I didn't knock before entering meanwhile the girl didn't close the bathroom door door because of fear

Well she asked her daughter to slap me infront of my Oga and other kids

My boss felt bad but can't talk
The wife is bossy
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Taciturn1: 5:54pm On Nov 06, 2021
ImmaculateJOE:
Ndigbos apprenticeship system of formation (Imu ahia or Igba boy) have produced more Self-reliant individuals than UNN, UI, ABU, OAU and UNILAG combine.

Read me again Sir... I said self-reliant individual not government workers nor politicians. I am not claiming the richest either, but the most self-dependent people..

You can take it to the bank.
Who asked you?
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Morientez: 5:55pm On Nov 06, 2021
I see shege for boy ...you will wakeup some
morning madam will tell you there's no food in the house, weas her children are having bread and egg for breakfast.. the worst is that when you get to the shop there's 40ft container already waiting for you to offload with empty stomach.

Abi na the one wey madam want set me up say i beat her up when oga travelled for a buisness trip..

Abi na the one wey e reach time for my settlement oga say me n him go do combine buisness for one year, say na my profit for the combined buisness nia him go use settle me weas our agreement was 6 years why i don stay 7years ..

Abi na wen him want set me up with money..
Abi na wen him use goods of 300k start combined buisness wey dem dey use like 2million start.

Abi na when e reach settlement wey him check stock.. stock complete come balance account I come they make gain of 3m him shock..

Him tell my mama say na 300k worth of goods plus shop rent 300k na him go take settle me ...or him give me cheque of 6ook if I no want the goods.. tears comot for my mama eyes.. she tell am say person wey serve you for eight good years na 600k you give make am him take start life... say if i comot shop rent money how much go remain...
So mama ask which one i go take, i had to opt for 3ook worth of plus shop rent base on say i don build contact....

Wetn dey dis life be say wetn God don talk say person go be him go be ..once you no drift from the plan of God in your life.
I morientez! my life is miracle.. wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by adetayoonas(m): 5:55pm On Nov 06, 2021
Unruly7:

My good friend I met in the market too after he served his oga for 9 years they chased him out because of 40k they found under his bed

Not easy bro. U tried

My other guy had issues with his Oga because he bought bag to be putting sales money without telling his Oga

What boys go through in the hands of the so called Oga isn't funny at all especially when your freedom is getting close

After they gave me 1m they still set me up with phone they almost arrested me as God may have it

She did apologize to me

They been wan ruin me

I senior my boss kids but he's first daughter don ever slap me by order from her mother
All because I wake up to go pee in bathroom unfortunately I met the small in the bathroom

My offence was I didn't knock before entering meanwhile the girl didn't close the bathroom door door because of fear

My boss felt bad but can't talk
The wife is bossy
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by abdulkayus(m): 6:04pm On Nov 06, 2021
InoGetJoy:

Anambra state with the highest number of billionaires in africa!!!?? Habaaaa, easy na.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Streetgent: 6:10pm On Nov 06, 2021
deepwater:

well you'll always repair your car yourself by watching YouTube videos
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Pharaohny: 6:21pm On Nov 06, 2021
deepwater:

15 years is too much we are almost already witnessing it now
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Cousin9999: 6:23pm On Nov 06, 2021
Maybe they prefer to go to school or study with free resources online instead of being someone's abused sl4ve with the thin hope of one day getting a cr4ppy shop.

Seriously though, any random person can get online and get the same knowledge as a uni grad and to a lesser extent experienced industry workers. Furthermore, anyone can hop online and get contract work that pays far more than the average worker in Nigeria. Why would they work for scraps or absolutely nothing for some clown? It's not poor people's job to make rich lazies' lives easier.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 06, 2021
pocohantas:
“School is scam”
Why then is there no cluster of youths learning skills or businesses?

People in business, what has been your experience with apprentices?
"get rich quickly or die trying" syndrome is at fault. Nigeria doesn't encourage hardwork. And except you have solid principles backing up your lifestyle, you're going to shirk that work for something that can make you rich within the shortest time possible.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by descarado: 6:40pm On Nov 06, 2021
GboyegaD:

Speak for the ones you know ma.
Apprenticeship is synonymous with igbo and I'm igbo. Do you know better than me?

It's OK anyway.

Just so people stop rubbing mud on the face of this wonderful thing that has brought happiness to the faces of many homes especially in igboland.

Wonder how igbo man would have faired after the civil war if not Apprenticeship.
Respect it please. We respect it a lot.
Even though less people are into it now as before bit we still give respect to whom respect is due.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by YoungRay007: 6:40pm On Nov 06, 2021
The igbo apprentice system is still good. The problem is some greedy Oga and some lazy Nwa boy that trying to destroy the system. Agreement should be agreement, if you have agree to settle someone after six years, please don't disappoint That person.

Most of our youths want quick money especially our ladies.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:41pm On Nov 06, 2021
deepwater:

Even now there are just very few of them that knows what they are doing.
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by Champele(m): 6:42pm On Nov 06, 2021
Nwa boi is a modern day slavery. People has known better. They do rather choose to learn trade nowadays, than serve Oga, wey fit end up telling them story after 6-7yrs
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by eventainment(m): 6:45pm On Nov 06, 2021
Who de learn work na mumu??
Let them change their strategy of internship. How will you in the name of someone that paid to learn a skill you will use the person to make fortune and not give them anything and you want them to stay. Interns should be paid not necessarily full pay but half will go a long way to encourage people to intern. If person know say 30% of any work e do when e de learn na him own. The voltage go full everywhere
Re: “Nwa Boy”: Rising Dearth Of Apprenticeship In Nigeria by emmanuelbrown26: 6:58pm On Nov 06, 2021
Unruly7:

She did apologize to me

They been wan ruin me

My boss felt bad but can't talk6
The wife is bossy
Thank Jah u an overcome, that is women for u. Always trying to be bossy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Working In Mortuary Same Experience With Working As Banker – Female Mortician / Truck Carrying Frozen Chicken Spills Content After A 3-vehicle Collision / Finishing Pictures Of Owerri Mall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.