Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,102 members, 7,814,871 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage (6053 Views)

What’s The Hardest Part About Marriage That No One Ever Talks About? / Things I Saw In A Coded Bar/motel, Bothering Me About Marriage! / What's Your Biggest Fear About Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:31pm On Nov 09, 2021
I don't know if it's just me or the circle I am around but a lot of young Nigerian men are very desperate about being in a relationship or getting married. These are guys in the 24 to 29 age range. Most unemployed or earning very low salaries 30 to 50k.

They believe that marriage will chang their fate and make them really wealthy. It's quite understandable if women are crazy about marriage as they have a biological clock but a man can literally father kids at 90 if he wants to so what's the rush?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Magnoliaa(f): 7:32pm On Nov 09, 2021
Mtcheeeeeeeewwwwwww.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by The5DME(m): 7:33pm On Nov 09, 2021
I tire for them oh. You'll see them litterd all over Nairaland, begging for money.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by The5DME(m): 7:34pm On Nov 09, 2021
Magnoliaa:
Mtcheeeeeeeewwwwwww.
If it's not a male behind this account, then you must be pretty dumb for a lady.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by NarcissistKing(m): 7:38pm On Nov 09, 2021
They have been brainwashed to believe in the mantra of "Things do get better after marriage." grin

Same format they used on their parents that made them live in poverty.

19 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:38pm On Nov 09, 2021
The5DME:
I tire for them oh. You'll see them litterd all over Nairaland, begging for money.
As in eh. So many guys are suffering now like mad cause they forced themselves to get married. Imagine someone of 24 already having two kids from his baby mama and yet no Job or even a hope of having one. So many of such guys all across Nigeria. It's insane.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Kobojunkiee: 7:40pm On Nov 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
They believe that marriage will chang their fate and make them really wealthy. It's quite understandable if women are crazy about marriage as they have a biological clock but a man can literally father kids at 90 if he wants to so what's the rush?
They are raised believing these things, and many of them never stop to even ask why or what exactly for. undecided

Marriage to them isn't a choice but a mandate and the ultimate path to deciding their destiny as outies! undecided

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Kobojunkiee: 7:42pm On Nov 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

As in eh. So many guys are suffering now like mad cause they forced themselves to get married. Imagine someone of 24 already having two kids from his baby mama and yet no Job or even a hope of having one. So many of such guys all across Nigeria. It's insane.
The same happened over 12 years ago. They never learn and neither do their children. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:42pm On Nov 09, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
They are raised believing these things, and many of them never stop to even ask why or what exactly for. undecided

Marriage to them isn't a choice but a mandate and the ultimate path to deciding their destiny as outies! undecided
As in eh everyday I see the suffering poverty and hardship all around me, I thank the good Lord for my singlehood. I can't imagine getting married or being in a relationship while in Nigeria. It's insane and I see guys doing this everyday. Men complicate their lives and justify why they do It.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Kobojunkiee: 7:49pm On Nov 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

As in eh everyday I see the suffering poverty and hardship all around me, I thank the good Lord for my singlehood. I can't imagine getting married or being in a relationship while in Nigeria. It's insane and I see guys doing this everyday. Men complicate their lives and justify why they do It.
It is a problem of foolishness really... Nigeria society, the people of course, rank low as far as wisdom is concerned. So those young men are simply the products of their foolish upbringing. undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Raalsalghul: 8:00pm On Nov 09, 2021
One reason for this I would say is lack of exposure.

Some people were born in poverty, grew in poverty, lived poverty all through their lives without coming in contact with the other side of life.

As a result of this, they're oblivious when they take actions that'll still sustain that poverty into the next generation.

There's no way you'll see, feel and interact with the other side and still want to take actions that'll make your lineage poorer.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by KevinDein: 8:03pm On Nov 09, 2021
Subtle clues, knowingly or unknowingly, thrown at young men to believe they aren't "man" enough if they aren't married or in a relationship.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Nobody: 8:04pm On Nov 09, 2021
They believe marriage will bring good luck to them and for the sex starved ones, marriage will open doors to an avalanche of sex. angry

You will see a young man in his prime below 38 yrs, rushing to marry. Like wtf. angry

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Kobojunkiee: 8:07pm On Nov 09, 2021
Raalsalghul:
Some people were born in poverty, grew in poverty, lived poverty all through their lives without coming in contact with the other side of life..
Exposure you say! A lot of them are here on nairaland... they have had more exposure than their parents before them yet their minds remain closed to what would seem common sense to others. undecided

There are many Nigerians right here in America who think and behave exactly the same as those still in Nigeria. You can take a pig out to market but you can't transform it into a horse by the exposure. undecided

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by KevinDein: 8:11pm On Nov 09, 2021
Raalsalghul:

Some people were born in poverty, grew in poverty, lived poverty all through their lives without coming in contact with the other side of life.

As a result of this, they're oblivious when they take actions that'll still sustain that poverty into the next generation.

There's no way you'll see the other side of life and still want to take actions that'll make your lineage poorer.
So true.
Exposure, via travelling and experiencing different cultures, is a hugely underrated form of education. These days one doesn't even need to change geographical locations to achieve this. Pretty much joining global forums like quora, reddit, YouTube, etc, will clue one in on different cultures and ideas around the world.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Kobojunkiee: 8:22pm On Nov 09, 2021
KevinDein:

So true.
Exposure, via travelling and experiencing different cultures, is a hugely underrated form of education. These days one doesn't even need to change geographical locations to achieve this. Pretty much joining global forums like quora, reddit, YouTube, etc, will clue one in on different cultures and ideas around the world.
There are many Nigerians living in cities in America who believe pretty much the same things things counterparts in Nigeria do as far as marriage is concerned. undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Raalsalghul: 8:28pm On Nov 09, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Exposure you say! A lot of them are here on nairaland... they have had more exposure than their parents before them yet their minds remain closed to what would seem common sense to others. undecided

There are many Nigerians right here in America who think and behavior exactly the same as these same Nigerian you are talking about here. You can take a pig out to market but you can't transform it into a horse by the exposure. undecided

At the bold, how many poor people are in Nigeria and what percentage of them are on Nairaland?

Let's start with that first.
Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Magnoliaa(f): 8:31pm On Nov 09, 2021
Men. Very interesting beings, walai. Now they are all discussing about how they are the desperate ones for marriages and relationships. Kikiki. grin I thought y'all like to sow your seeds and be wild and hate being tied down ni? So now y'all are the ones conditioned for marriage? Lewl.

I guess Shiloh is gonna witness a turnaround on its turnouts this year then. cheesy

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Kobojunkiee: 8:33pm On Nov 09, 2021
Raalsalghul:
At the bold, how many poor people are in Nigeria and what percentage of them are on Nairaland?

Let's start with that first.
Does it matter what there population is in Nigeria or on nairaland? undecided

The point is even with exposure, many of them, some living right here in the United States, still think and believe the exact same foolishness their fathers and mothers before them fed them. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:35pm On Nov 09, 2021
Magnoliaa:
Men. Very interesting beings, walai. Now they are all discussing about how they are the desperate ones for marriages and relationships. Kikiki. grin I thought y'all like to sow your seeds and be wild and hate being tied down ni? So now y'all are the ones conditioned for marriage? Lewl.

I guess Shiloh is gonna witness a turnaround on its turnouts this year then. cheesy
Forget what goes on online. A lot of men offline are very desperate for marriage and dating. I think its lack of achievement in all spheres so in order not to be totally useless they be like let me get married at least that's an achievement but in reality thats suicide.

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Raalsalghul: 8:37pm On Nov 09, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Does it matter what there population is in Nigeria or on nairaland? undecided

The point is even with exposure, many of them, some living right here in the United States, still think and believe the exact same foolishness their fathers and mothers before them fed them. undecided

I'm not referring to those in the united states.

I'm talking about those in Nigeria, you said something along the lines of "some of them are on Nairaland and still don't learn", which is true.

But then compare the number of poor people in Nigeria as a whole and what percentage of them have that exposure and you'd still realize that it's a problem.

Chikena!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Kobojunkiee: 8:38pm On Nov 09, 2021
Raalsalghul:
I'm not referring to those in the united states.
I'm talking about those in Nigeria, you said something along the lines of "some of them are on Nairaland and still don't learn", which is true.
But then compare the number of poor people in Nigeria as a whole and what percentage of them have that exposure and you'd still realize that it's a problem.Chikena!
But I am saying that exposure has nothing to do with this at all. undecided

One doesn't first need exposure to realize that it makes absolutely no sense of any kind to rush into marriage without first ensuring you and your spouse are gainfully employed and have the resources to handle at least some of marriages curve balls. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by cococandy(f): 8:39pm On Nov 09, 2021
Ninejaywon:
They believe marriage will bring good luck to them and for the sex starved ones, marriage will open doors to an avalanche of sex. angry

You will see a young man in his prime below 38 yrs, rushing to marry. Like wtf. angry
so they should marry after their prime? Does that make sense to you?

Do you know the risk for Down syndrome in babies increases with the father’s age?

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Raalsalghul: 8:40pm On Nov 09, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
I am saying that exposure has nothing to do with this at all. undecided

It has something to do with it: though maybe not in entirety.

I've seen this play out in real life.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Raalsalghul: 8:42pm On Nov 09, 2021
cococandy:

Do you know the risk for Down syndrome in babies increases with the father’s age?

You just have to ask this question. SMH!!!
Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Kobojunkiee: 8:43pm On Nov 09, 2021
Raalsalghul:
It has something to do with it: though maybe not in entirety.

I've seen this play out in real life.
What you probably saw was a mind finally opening itself up to asking common sense questions, not necessarily a result of exposure. undecided

One doesn't first need exposure to realize that it makes absolutely no sense of any kind to rush into marriage without first ensuring you and your spouse are gainfully employed and have the resources to handle at least some of marriages curve balls. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Magnoliaa(f): 8:45pm On Nov 09, 2021
cococandy:

Really? I never knew about the last part. Thank you for mentioning it and for asking that question, especially!

grin Na only women dey get biological clock oh. Nahhhh. Ya ignorant, dear. Men don't hit a wall, they don't expire and they don't have 'prime years.' They can even continue firing at age 160. Kikikikiki.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:50pm On Nov 09, 2021
cococandy:

True but generational poverty is worst than down syndrome. One of Femi otedola's kids has down syndrome and he has a much a brighter future than 95 percent of Nigerians.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Raalsalghul: 8:53pm On Nov 09, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
What you probably saw was a mind finally opening itself up to asking common sense questions, not necessarily a result of exposure. undecided

At your second sentence, go and say that to someone up north.

It's not always about common sense.
Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Kobojunkiee: 8:55pm On Nov 09, 2021
Raalsalghul:
At your second sentence, go and say that to someone up north.

It's not always about common sense.
Actually, the same is observed in the north. Even with all of their exposure, don't you see that many of the rich, supposedly exposed, northerners marry their kids off in similar manner and belief? undecided

By the way, commonsense is aka Wisdom! undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Mariangeles(f): 8:55pm On Nov 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

True but generational poverty is worst than down syndrome. One of Femi otedola's kids has down syndrome and he has a much a brighter future than 95 percent of Nigerians.

Smh!

Some people just type just because.
Laughable!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Nobody: 9:11pm On Nov 09, 2021
cococandy:

Let me now shock you. A man even at the age of 55 is still in prime in as much as he keeps himself in good shape and adopt a healthy lifestyle. A man at 90 can still breed healthy kids.

Come up with something else, that down syndrome excuse is too lame. I know men in their 40s down to their 70s with healthy children and not even one has down syndrome.

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Marriage Without Parents' Knowledge? / How Desperate Woman Slept With Her Son To Have A Child For Her Husband / I Want To Run Away From Home Need Advise.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.