Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,370 members, 7,836,494 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage (6150 Views)

What’s The Hardest Part About Marriage That No One Ever Talks About? / Things I Saw In A Coded Bar/motel, Bothering Me About Marriage! / What's Your Biggest Fear About Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by MistaMann: 3:43pm On Nov 10, 2021
Tobichuks08:
reason?
Was that stated as a reason?
Reading without comprehension.
It's one of the advantages of marriage not a reason.

You'll brag with it in heaven, hell, Valhalla or the underworld? That you have a son who stood by your grave during your burial?

What value does it add to the deceased against someone without a heir to stand by his/her grave?

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Mariangeles(f): 3:46pm On Nov 10, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

They will shout and cry but we know the truth.

It depends on what bright future means to you.
Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by crackhaus: 3:50pm On Nov 10, 2021
So many falsities and falsehoods being thrown around on the thread as fact... Makes it seem like I walked into a poultry farm. cheesy

A lot of confirmation biases on display too...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Mariangeles(f): 3:50pm On Nov 10, 2021
AdeOri99:

Like my grandma telling me that I won't be in par with society if I don't have a woman.

Who the hell give a fvck!

You will give several fvcks when the time comes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Nobody: 3:52pm On Nov 10, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

As in eh everyday I see the suffering poverty and hardship all around me, I thank the good Lord for my singlehood. I can't imagine getting married or being in a relationship while in Nigeria. It's insane and I see guys doing this everyday. Men complicate their lives and justify why they do It.

MrColdSweat will be happy and proud of you wherever he Is now. Men generally loves "SUFFERING"

1 Like

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Mariangeles(f): 3:53pm On Nov 10, 2021
Gerrard59:

That's a reason to get married? grin

Is that not reason enough?

I guess when we’re on nairaland, we all must put on our shades of delusion.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Karleb(m): 3:55pm On Nov 10, 2021
Two broke people can get married, not my business but they should have a vasectomy or hysterectomy until they are financially capable.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 10, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Exposure you say! A lot of them are here on nairaland... they have had more exposure than their parents before them yet their minds remain closed to what would seem common sense to others. undecided

There are many Nigerians right here in America who think and behave exactly the same as those still in Nigeria. You can take a pig out to market but you can't transform it into a horse by the exposure. undecided

Kobo na true you talk oooo. You can take "A TYPICAL NIGERIAN" to overseas but you can't take Nigeria In him/her away. I believe It's a Skin Problem generally. The funny thing Is some of us have this Skin but we are very fortunate not to reason like the majority. I feel very proud of my "MENTALITY" everyday.....

1 Like

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Mariangeles(f): 3:59pm On Nov 10, 2021
Gerrard59:

He's Igbo, I'm not surprised. With the way he mentioned heir, I'm very sure he wouldn't mind birthing five children in the elusive search for a male child in the name of he should be the heir to my properties. Check his name on Google and nothing good comes out from the search. Just like the man in Enugu who had three girls and in the search for a "heir", his wife gave birth to quadruplets. Afterwards, he came wailing for help and support.

Stoopid people!

If you think Igbo people are stoopid people, then you’re even more stooooooooooooooooopid!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by MistaMann: 4:01pm On Nov 10, 2021
AdeOri99:

I was having a discussion with one of my elder cousin, and when I said it's unlikely for me to get married cause I very much love freedom, she said it's a cause with such seriousness. Haaaaah.

They see marriage and having kids as way of life. It is easier to face life when alone than when married especially with kids.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 10, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
But I am saying that exposure has nothing to do with this at all. undecided

One doesn't first need exposure to realize that it makes absolutely no sense of any kind to rush into marriage without first ensuring you and your spouse are gainfully employed and have the resources to handle at least some of marriages curve balls. undecided

Too much sense Just for only you Kobo, Abeg share some with me.....

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Tobichuks08: 4:08pm On Nov 10, 2021
MistaMann:

You'll brag with it in heaven, hell, Valhalla or the underworld? That you have a son who stand by your grave?

What value does it add to the deceased against someone without a heir to stand by his/her grave?
Since having an offspring is of no value to you maybe not in death but eventually says alot about your reasoning and assimilation.
It's well with you bro

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by MistaMann: 4:12pm On Nov 10, 2021
Oyiboman69:
I've also seen a man above 38 yrs who is unmarried and still poor....

It is better to be 99 years poor and single than be 38 years with 1 child and poor.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by crackhaus: 4:13pm On Nov 10, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
I don't know if it's just me or the circle I am around but a lot of young Nigerian men are very desperate about being in a relationship or getting married. These are guys in the 24 to 29 age range. Most unemployed or earning very low salaries 30 to 50k.

They believe that marriage will chang their fate and make them really wealthy. It's quite understandable if women are crazy about marriage as they have a biological clock but a man can literally father kids at 90 if he wants to so what's the rush?
It is your circle.

The fact that some females here agree with you is not enough of a confirmation either.

From the perspective of women, they obviously meet guys who want to appear serious by using the line "I want to marry you" on them, so of course they also would assume that most men are desperate for marriage given those experiences — it's simply a confirmation bias.

Subjective experiences like the above as well as yours (your circle), do not account for the mentality of the general male population when it comes to marriage.

Even females themselves know it deep down in their hearts that they're the ones who are most desperate for marriage, and this includes every single one of them on this thread... BUT of course, don't expect any to admit it even at the risk of death. grin

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 10, 2021
cococandy:
so they should marry after their prime? Does that make sense to you?

[s]Do you know the risk for Down syndrome in babies increases with the father's age?[/s]

I'm sorry I had to do that Coco. I know of a Man who had two more kids with his second wife when he was 49years and he Is 70+ now, Today, Those kids are healthy and stronger than Anthony Joshua.....

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Klass99(f): 4:22pm On Nov 10, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by pocohantas(f): 4:23pm On Nov 10, 2021
Gerrard59:

He's Igbo, I'm not surprised. With the way he mentioned heir, I'm very sure he wouldn't mind birthing five children in the elusive search for a male child in the name of he should be the heir to my properties. Check his name on Google and nothing good comes out from the search. Just like the man in Enugu who had three girls and in the search for a "heir", his wife gave birth to quadruplets. Afterwards, he came wailing for help and support.

Stoopid people!

Lmao. Did this really happen?

The HEIR is quite typical though. I can imagine him saying it. HEIR kor, descendant ni.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by pocohantas(f): 4:25pm On Nov 10, 2021
crackhaus:

Even females themselves know it deep down in their hearts that they're the ones who are most desperate for marriage, and this includes every single one of them on this thread... BUT of course, don't expect any to admit it even at the risk of death. grin

The topic is not who is MOST DESPERATE.

The topic is men are also “DESPERATE” for marriage.

Can you in your divine wisdom comment on the TOPIC this time before you are at the risk of death?

Thank you. grin

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Tobichuks08: 4:29pm On Nov 10, 2021
MistaMann:

The guy was totally off with the part you bold.

The thread is about marrying or having kids without a source of livelihood or income that can't provide/cater for basic needs not even luxury.

What do you mean by poor here? How can you be poor with kids which are being subjected to hardship and still enjoy life please

Inability to send you children to a basic decent school?
Eating 2 meals a day or living on less than 1 dollar a day?
Begging landlord not to evict you?
Your children being sent home from school?
Begging, borrowing to supplement your salary?

This is how you push some people without sense to marry then at the end of the day they become an element of pity, begging to feed. Why risk having the kids with the hope that tomorrow things might get better? With the stat about poverty rate in Nigeria do you need a seer to tell you it doesn't work?

Heir to inherit poverty and soko loan dept left behind abi

Nice we are in agreement

Agreed but at the same thing since your needs may not align with mine, or what you consider basic may differ from mine why generalize?

Lol, a poor guy is not someone who can't sustain his source of livelihood but
lacking sufficient amount to live at a certain standard which also differs, so yes some poor people live happily..

Lol, those are your personal expectations or reasoning to poor, not mine..
A poor man can have his children go to school, feed 3 times a day, and sort his rent that dosent make him rich, because he is living according to his means for survival.

Push?
Come on every adults knows what they want bro, every adult does.
Some marry early and end up in riches, some marry late and still end up being poor, why are you making it a case?

You shouldn't blame those who are struggling and are married you should blame the lack of proper planning..

This is never any ones dream or prayer and eventually even in reality 40 to 60% of families in Nigeria re struggling financially..
It is only in Nigeria that we become hypocrite.
Most of you guys here came from a struggling background, if your parents had this notion will you guys be here playing judge on others choices?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 10, 2021
Tobichuks08:

[s]You should be very ashamed of yourself, has poverty eaten so deep in you that you have no value for yourself not to talk of others...

Marriage is desired by both genders because every human crave for companionship..
Some come early some come late.

Some marry early and some late and this is all about some personal choices and we all should respect it..

If critically analysed the guys that are poor with kids but enjoying thier marriage can be having a better life than the ones who are still single and trying to aquire all those riches.

which at the end of the day they end up being just financially stable.
Not rich and not wealthy..

Op just because you are single and think your better off, bro your not.
The poor dude has a heir who will probably stand on his grave and you don't.
Life is complex let's all strive to enjoy our choices and respect others regardless of thier present condition[/s]

Dark reasoning as usual......
Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Nobody: 4:36pm On Nov 10, 2021
Klass99:

LMAO grin.
You go fear African man mentality nah!

I tell you, No be small thing. I no know who CURSE those people. I saw the other one shouting baba 70 here and there. You can't Just have enough of them.....grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Chevrolet076(m): 4:37pm On Nov 10, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
I don't know if it's just me or the circle I am around but a lot of young Nigerian men are very desperate about being in a relationship or getting married. These are guys in the 24 to 29 age range. Most unemployed or earning very low salaries 30 to 50k.

They believe that marriage will chang their fate and make them really wealthy. It's quite understandable if women are crazy about marriage as they have a biological clock but a man can literally father kids at 90 if he wants to so what's the rush?

Your premise is false..... Or you're probably basing your conclusion on your area. Many young men I've seen and read on nairaland do not want to get married

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Tobichuks08: 4:37pm On Nov 10, 2021
Evolutionlove:

Dark reasoning as usual......
White reasoning as usual..
grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Nobody: 4:43pm On Nov 10, 2021
MistaMann:

It is better to be 99 years poor and single than be 38 years with 1 child and poor.

Most Nigerians who are neck deep In POVERTY won't understand or subscribe to this gospel. Blacks Nigerian problem Is deeper and deep rooted than you think.....

1 Like

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Klass99(f): 4:43pm On Nov 10, 2021

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Nobody: 4:50pm On Nov 10, 2021
MistaMann:

They see marriage and having kids as way of life. It is easier to face life when alone than when married especially with kids.

What I've come to realize Is, The best thing Is to leave these people to their fate and mentality and migrate to society where they share mutual reasoning with you. Anything apart from this, You'll Just keep flogging a dead horse and keep going round In circles. Nothing will ever Change.....

1 Like

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Gerrard59(m): 4:53pm On Nov 10, 2021
pocohantas:

Lmao. Did this really happen?

The HEIR is quite typical though. I can imagine him saying it. HEIR kor, descendant ni.

https://punchng.com/country-is-hard-we-need-help-to-raise-our-newborn-quadruplets-enugu-based-couple/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1635063057
Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by crackhaus: 4:58pm On Nov 10, 2021
Mindlog:

Old sperm (Advanced Paternal Age) is a high risk when is comes to certain birth defects.

While working with children with certain neurodevelopmental disorders, one of the key questions that must be asked is the age of the child's biological father.
Na so.

I can't believe anyone actually bought this... cheesy

You want to come here and start rewriting biology just to sustain your biases eh.

What does old sperm even mean exactly? grin
This one off me... LOL

A healthy man will continue producing new sperm until the day he dies, it's a process called spermatogenesis... but I figure you already knew this, no?

A healthy woman does not produce new eggs because y'all are born with all the eggs you'll ever need, and in fact by the time women are at puberty, only about 25% of those eggs are left... From this point onwards, the quality will continue to decline.
You can take this fight to the creator sha... na him do am like that, NOT men.

When you take cognizance of the above facts and keep all things equal while contrasting a healthy man and a healthy woman (both in their 50s/60s), who then do you expect would be more at risk of having a child with a disorder? cheesy

I'm not trying to make a case for which gender needs to marry early, I've never cared about that... But make una nor come dey pretend say everyone here reading is a dummy. grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by pocohantas(f): 4:59pm On Nov 10, 2021
Gerrard59:

https://punchng.com/country-is-hard-we-need-help-to-raise-our-newborn-quadruplets-enugu-based-couple/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1635063057

She is so young and beautiful. That is a lot of kids in this present generation. Money aside, kids require a lot of time and energy. I get that Nigerians just go with the flow, have kids and begin to discipline them. But parenting should be more conscious and long term.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 10, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Well in Nigeria it should be a concern to everyone when poor people get married. When they breed they end up giving birth to future bandits, terrorists, yahoo boys and criminals. As of 2008, you could drive from Lagos to Maiduguri. Today you can't. In the future, you won't be able to move easily from Ikeja to iyana ipaja as Nigeria is going to be worst off tomorrow than today.

Poor people marrying and having battalion kids should be everyones problem. You can't just let them be cause their decisions will affect you that refused to have any kids.

All these things you are complaining about are very Vital to the Nations Growth & Development, You won't Just understand. It took me long years before I eventually understood how and what this nation was designed for. All those "Agberos, Street Urchins, Destitutes Just to mention a few are part of God's blessings to "TYPICAL NIGERIANS" I've met with prominent and bigmoney peeps. If you realize the way they reason and their point of viewing everything In this nation. You will be marveled......

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 10, 2021
Klass99:

Walahi I am just LOL. It is fascinating to see different mindsets and thought processes on display.
And which one is those people angry. You no be African man too? grin

Lol I'm from Mars....grin
Re: Why Are Young Men In Nigeria So Desperate About Marriage by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 10, 2021
AdeOri99:

I was having a discussion with one of my elder cousin, and when I said it's unlikely for me to get married cause I very much love freedom, she said it's a cause with such seriousness. Haaaaah.

Generally, Black people are still far away from True Civilization & Mental Emancipation.....grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Years Old Boy Still Sucking Breast? / Why Is There A High Rate Of Divorce In Nigeria? / Happy Children's Day.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.