Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,940 members, 7,835,132 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey - Politics (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (51428 Views)

Poll: This is a serious matter. Whose side are you on?

Nigeria: 80% (294 votes)
Oprah Winfrey: 19% (69 votes)
This poll has ended

Apc Gov Are Corrupt: Says Who????? / Every Nigerian Billionaire Is Corrupt, Says Former Minister Akinyemi / All Nigerian Military Head Of State Are Corrupt Including General Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 04, 2007
This has been said time and time before so lt is nothing new even Collen Powell said so one time.But the said statement is nothing but a fallacy of generalization because not every nigerian falls into the category that she has placed us though l am not pointing fingers l believe she also has some elements of corruption in herself.This statement has grave implications for nigerians living in the US undecided
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by denex: 7:55pm On Aug 04, 2007
@somze

you said previously that a great deal of Nigerians are corrupt. And then I scaled down that more generalised statement to a sample population, using your family and the conclusion was that a great deal of your family members, including your parents, are corrupt.

why are you now saying "if"?
You were so certain a while ago about your statistics but now we're using your family as sample population, you begin to get very iffy.

Be very careful what you say. We know that there are pedophiles as christian priests, we know that the cases are not rare. But when a popular Saudi Arabian muslim TV Personality begins to make blanket statements on an international station, then you will know that there's an agenda.

You said that a great deal of christians are hypocrites. Well, so you said. But how will you feel if you wake up one morning and you hear on NTA A.M Express that "a large percentage of christians are hypocrites"?

Don't assume that this things just occurred of happenstance. In the western world, the media is just a political tool and anything they do with it is political.

Saying that not all Nigerians are corrupt but they are anyway, you may not see the effect of that seemingly trivial statement, but in a few years you will. I have no doubt that this verbal assault has something to do with her new allegiance with South Africa and the threat of losing her corruptly and fallaciously claimed title of "Richest Black Person".
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 8:19pm On Aug 04, 2007
Is it that you have not seen us prove without any doubt that she did not make that statement or you just like repeating untrue issues so ignorant people will believe you.

Oprah never made such a statement.

When you point a finger and say my parents and siblings, it lies in your hand to prove what you so state.

If i say Nigerians or a great deal of Nigerians, I have to prove so by showing general statistics and making my inferences. And you know statistics is on my side there.

You should learn about logic before using it.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by denex: 8:41pm On Aug 04, 2007
@somze

I am not quoting from the punch. I am talking about a different quote where Oprah said that Nigerians should not bother sending in messages that not every Nigerian is corrupt. That she knew.

That in fact is the statement I'm talking about right now. It is wrong for Oprah to insinuate that Nigerians are corrupt. Is it not a fact that a lot of white Americans are corrupt? Is it not a fact that African Americans are drug infested? But how come we've not heard it on BBC? Because you must have a political agenda before spitting those kinds of statements.

As for your generalised statistics, I don't need to prove anything because you said it all. That a great deal of Nigerians are corrupt. I'm just trying to show you a picture of what it means when you make such a statement.

There was a time this kind of statistical figures crept up when I was in UNIBEN. A guy was trying to prove the figures released by the school authorities that 30% of UNIBEN students were HIV positive from testings carried out.

At the end of the argument, I reminded them that one among the 3 of us was HIV positive and they began to deny.

If you don't know what statistic imply, I suggest you avoid them. I don't even think you know what "a great deal" means.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 9:02pm On Aug 04, 2007
Ok let me ask you

Are Nigerians Corrupt?

Please keep in mind what your own govt said about you a while back. Keep in mind what all your govt officials. Keep in mind all those folks swindling innocent and greedy victims. You must have seen them in your universities, in cyber cafes, some of them are your friends. As a matter of fact there's hardly a mulit-millionaire that got there without . . .

Meanwhile when did 30% get to mean 1 out of 3?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by geegee(f): 11:14pm On Aug 04, 2007
im a big fan of oprah but i was very disappointed in her when i heard
it but my people do we blame her? i know not all nigerians are corrupt
u all know what they say about one bad apple?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Ndipe(m): 1:00am On Aug 05, 2007
Did Oprah really say that all Nigerians are corrupt or are people just putting words in her mouth?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Njoy1(f): 5:37am On Aug 05, 2007
I admire Oprah Winfrey, may she continue her good work. We already know most Nigerians are corrupt, there's nothing new there. If those so called bad naija' guys learn to behave whilst abroad, people like Oprah wouldn't have to highlight the problems caused by them. Please guys make us proud as Nigerians by doing the right thing, here and abroad. Fact we all want to get rich FAST, unfortunately we gotta work hard for it, and we gotta work our way from the bottom to the top. Crime does not pay especially when you're caught. DO THE RIGHT THING FOR YOURSELF, FAMILY AND GOD. GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by xele: 6:10am On Aug 05, 2007
But d babe is sayn the truth now, Jst thnk abt it: is d average nigerian without an element of corruption? 4where?! Its dat bad. And until we begin 2do smthng abt it, Wel, it luks lyk we myt hav2start gettn comfortable wit d new identity!(acording 2 oprah)
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by xele: 6:11am On Aug 05, 2007
But d babe is sayn the truth now, Jst thnk abt it: is d average nigerian without an element of corruption? 4where?! Its dat bad. And until we begin 2do smthng abt it, Wel, it luks lyk we myt hav2start gettn comfortable wit d new identity!(acording 2 oprah)
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by xele: 6:11am On Aug 05, 2007
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by k0be: 6:13am On Aug 05, 2007
Oprah never said "All Nigerians are corrupt" - how many times must we mention this. I'm surprised the admin hasn't locked this thread down.
some people on this forum are just using this as an excuse to take their personal shots at Nigeria.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by 9ja4eva: 4:21pm On Aug 05, 2007
All Americans are corrupt as well
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by denex: 5:15pm On Aug 05, 2007
@9ja4eva

don't mind these people. somze is here asking me whether Nigerians are corrupt to justify Oprah's attempt to assassinate our image. I wonder why he didn't even ask if there are any corrupt Nigerians.

More than 70% of Americans have either seen a shrink or are currently keeping appointments with a shrink. Yet NTA has not said that Americans are mad!

@somze

would you rather say 30% translate to 5 in 1?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 10:32pm On Aug 05, 2007
Nigerians are corrupt,

Americans are psychos

Happy Now? grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by denex: 10:38pm On Aug 05, 2007
@somze

thou sayest it!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by DrDre1(m): 12:19am On Aug 06, 2007
T.D Jakes nad his DNA analyzed and it was reveal that he has igbo roots smiley
If it is true that Oprah made this statement, then I only have one wish for her grin
Her DNA analysis should reveal that she is a Nigerian too. grin
I guess she would be a proud one grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by 9ja4eva: 12:50am On Aug 06, 2007
LOL

denex:

@9ja4eva

don't mind these people. somze is here asking me whether Nigerians are corrupt to justify Oprah's attempt to assassinate our image. I wonder why he didn't even ask if there are any corrupt Nigerians.

More than 70% of Americans have either seen a shrink or are currently keeping appointments with a shrink. Yet NTA has not said that Americans are mad!

@somze

would you rather say 30% translate to 5 in 1?

Guy i weak oh.People dey blab like say na only Nigerians dey corrupt.

Gosh
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by login(f): 5:18am On Aug 06, 2007
Ok let me ask you

Are Nigerians Corrupt?

Please keep in mind what your own govt said about you a while back. Keep in mind what all your govt officials. Keep in mind all those folks swindling innocent and greedy victims. You must have seen them in your universities, in cyber cafes, some of them are your friends. As a matter of fact there's hardly a mulit-millionaire that got there without . . .

Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by login(f): 5:24am On Aug 06, 2007
Ok let me ask you

Are Nigerians Corrupt?

It took me two years of searching to find one Nigerian from Badagary, Lagos, Nigeria, that would even come close to telling the truth, after all the ones I spoke to, they were all filthy, rotten, dirty, lieing, begger, thiefs. It took the head of the church in the UK to start with, before getting any help from any Nigerian, so called official, church goer, goverment body, or person to help with the truth about a scamming lier. Learned alot, most of them are lieing, scamming, thiefs.[/color] [color=#990000]Try 99%
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 8:40am On Aug 06, 2007
denex:

@9ja4eva

I'm tired of repeating my self
1. There exist NO proof that she said anything remotely close to what you accuse her of
2. Which Image does Nigeria have in the world? We are on the top ten of the most corrupt countries in the world.

You and 9ja4eva and the rest of your crew should wake up to reality and stop playing ignorant.

If you have been out of the country or through airports you'd see clearly the image we have.

I can't talk to any Nigerian when i'm in UK, even some i know from school because i'm unsure of their sources of income and i don't want police trouble.

What do you know about image? Our Governors take loot to drop abroad, buy houses, cars, refineries, build hospitals etc. What do you know about image?

The world criticised your last polls in the strongest of terms? What do you know about image?

Our girls are in Italy . . . What do you know about image?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by denex: 9:24am On Aug 06, 2007
@somze

as long as you refuse to understand what is happening, you'll continue to repeat yourself.

There were several comments made about Nigeria on her show after which she mentioned that though she knows not all Nigerians are like that. I'm no more dwelling on the punch comment.

It is wrong for the media to politically target a group for genocide.

If Nigeria didn't have an image, people wouldn't be concerned about us. Just tune to CNN International and see if they won't say something about Nigeria.

Our girls are in Italy, are American girls not in Japan? Doing the same very thing?

You complain about Nigerian Airport, but IATA that has been all over the world says Heathrow is one of the worst Airports. That same Heathrow in the UK.

If you like stop talking to you family members so that UK government will give you a medal.

Guy rest!

In fact na all these things go make person boycott Nairaland. So the fear of British Police is what is now making you use Nairaland as a means of communications to Nigerians? Well, they are achieving what they set out to achieve.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 10:28am On Aug 06, 2007
Oga e be like say u neva see person wey enter police wahala becuz of 19 boys where dey come him house

Look if you have any friend or relative that has questionable finances in abroad better waka far, before your VISA go turn lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by SylviaCozy(f): 10:31am On Aug 06, 2007
I think itz really pathetic. Oprah might have said so but itz really bad of her cos all HUMAN BEIGNS r corrupt. Even the all might Oprah herself is corrupt. It all depends on how u decide to control ur degree of corruption. I'm not saying I am a very corrupt person but who r u to judge ur fellow brother when four fingers are POINTING AT U AND UR PAST.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by edeone(m): 2:42pm On Aug 06, 2007
When i saw this Topic i most say i was so disappointed to hear that Oprah,a woman of such high intelligence at list so i thought,and who is suppose to be exposed would make such a statement,she is suppose to be educated abi? so before u make such a strong statement which is known to rise issues u should have carried out a research to back it up, u can not just come out and generalize issues and label one country and everbody in it as thesame bcus of what only shes knows that happened to her.

Well make i no too talk the fact be say am dissappointed at her and she should also be disappointed at her self she go school now na so them take dy talk,well as my brother talk maybe when she was cuming to start her school the moni when them ask her too big so na em dy pain am!!!! anyhow sha i like Nigeria and will always love d fact that am one words like that can bring us down as we will always strive for the best and they will always look for us because we are too much.

BIG UPS TO ALL NIGERIAN WHO ARE Proud TO BE ONE.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by AK2(m): 3:23pm On Aug 06, 2007
Bleep Oprah. She is just a sell out. She caters for white america. After all there are fruadsters everywhere. Why single a country for condemnation
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 06, 2007
oprah is very foolish for the statement she made. and i sure do have no apology. if she feels she can make any statement about Naija then just because she thinks she is american then she is wrong because she is black and God knows she could have been from Naija thru her grandfather her name could have been opara from imo state
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 06, 2007
oprah is very foolish for the statement she made. and i sure do have no apology. if she feels she can make any statement about Naija then just because she thinks she is american then she is wrong because she is black and God knows she could have been from Naija thru her grandfather her name could have been opara from imo state
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Aleem(m): 5:46pm On Aug 06, 2007
I don't care about what she says. I'm a true Nigerian, so let them say what ever they like about my country, but I know one thing for sure NIGERIANS ARE GREAT. We will be greater than any country as long as we have focus.
                                                                                                        STAY COOL,
                                                                                                         ALEEM

Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by 9ja4eva: 5:52pm On Aug 06, 2007
somze:

I'm tired of repeating my self
1. There exist NO proof that she said anything remotely close to what you accuse her of
2. Which Image does Nigeria have in the world? We are on the top ten of the most corrupt countries in the world.

You and 9ja4eva and the rest of your crew should wake up to reality and stop playing ignorant.

If you have been out of the country or through airports you'd see clearly the image we have.

I can't talk to any Nigerian when i'm in UK, even some i know from school because i'm unsure of their sources of income and i don't want police trouble.

What do you know about image? Our Governors take loot to drop abroad, buy houses, cars, refineries, build hospitals etc. What do you know about image?

The world criticised your last polls in the strongest of terms? What do you know about image?

Our girls are in Italy . . . What do you know about image?

If that is your definition of corruption then am sorry,

You would be among people that will call people from the middle east terrorist.

Please spare me d sterotype rubbish.Make u dey yarn true
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by texazzpete(m): 6:33pm On Aug 06, 2007
As it stands, even when the exact words Oprah said were placed here, people here still insist on this crappy campaign of defamation.
I find it strange that Nairaland members come forward to claim that greedy and ignorant americans are to blame for 419, then when an American tries to sensitize the general public (her countrypeople!) on the dangers of 419 people are crying foul.
Are you sure you really want this 419 to stop? scam mails originating from Nigeria have the highest profile of them all, and that's obvious considering the sheer amount of emails we Naija based scammers sent. and unlike any other scam mails from other countries (eg Eastern europe) that are broad-based, the Naija email harvesters deliberately target authentic and confirmed email addresses, with special emphasis on those of professionals.
the Nigerian government has failed abysmally to stop 419. The only way to stop this is to starve them of their supply of mugus, and the only way to do that is to sensitize the general public. It's a shame that people here are so short-sighted that all they see is the immediate 'embarrasment'. if 419 runs for just 5 years more in Nigeria, nobody will ever trust a Nigerian again. It's better we stop this scourge NOW!

Also i cringe when i hear people say things like 'other countries are corrupt also' and 'white men do 419 too'. We forget that Nigeria (and to a lesser extent other West African Countries) is probably the only one that people can do 419 openly, and are admired for it. Try locating footage of gangs of half-naked Americans huddling in a Cafe sending spam mails. You won't see! In my last visit to Lagos, almost all the cafes i see are full of yahoo boys. Scammers openly patrol the streets of our Universities with the cars bought from their stolen loot. They proudly announce they are into 419 and no-one gives a hoot. In the clubs, they WANT to be known as scammers. Where else do you see such?

I laugh when i see people complain about racism. If some of y'all aren't racist, why complain loudly when an American (or white person) links Nigeria with 419, yet clap appreciatively when Osuofia seriously dents our image with his 'I go Chop your Dollar' which has fast become the Nigerian 419 theme song?

here's a comment made by a NIGERIAN at the YouTube video of 'I Go Chop Your Dollar'

Long Live Nigeria, NIGERIAN ROYALTIES 419 WE HERE AND WE TAKIN OVER THIS IS FOR DA HUSTLERS.DA HUSTLERS ATHEM WE TAKIN OVER 419 IS A NIGERIAN THING SO BASTARDS DON'T COPY, IF U HATE US GUESS WHAT U CAN'T AVOID US THERE IS SO MUCH WAYS OF 419, WE GOT SO MUCH TRICKS UP OUR SLEVES AND OOOH YEA UR NEXT.{N.I.G$I.N.R}419 THIS IS OUR MONEY NIGERIANS LETS GET IT, WE ARE NIGERIANS MORE SHADY DAN SICILIANS

and you guys think other people are running down our image?

Here's the link
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f1nKR3gYRY8

View the comments and if you aren't ashamed by them, then you don't deserve to be a Nigerian.

I love my country as much as anyone else, perhaps even more. Yet i appreciate the need for constructive criticism. Anyone who comes here claiming we don't have a serious issue with 419 isn't a Patriot as they think. That's treason!

PS: Oprah did the right thing by asking viewers not to write in saying there are good Nigerians. That's the logical thing to do to avoid being swamped by a deluge of calls and emails. She did the right thing by adding that not all Nigerians are corrupt. What more do you people want?

Lets keep sentiments out of our thinking and use cold, hard logic to analyse issues, ok?

edeone:

When i saw this Topic i most say i was so disappointed to hear that Oprah,a woman of such high intelligence at list so i thought,and who is suppose to be exposed would make such a statement,she is suppose to be educated abi? so before u make such a strong statement which is known to rise issues u should have carried out a research to back it up, u can not just come out and generalize issues and label one country and everbody in it as thesame bcus of what only shes knows that happened to her.

Did you even follow your own advice before you made this post? Did you? You just made a strong statement without even researching, isn't that hypocrisy? Idiot.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by login(f): 7:52pm On Aug 06, 2007
Lets keep sentiments out of our thinking and use cold, hard logic to analyse issues, ok?

If this is the case? And you use logic? With integrity I might add, then where do you begin. I would like to know and I would like to help! For your own information, we do think 419 whenever anyone mentions Nigeria. And this is very bad for all. I chose to use my own judgement and I too was scammed by a Nigerian, who came clean after two years of lie upon lie and whenever I questioned him, he would remind me that not all Nigerians are scammers. He was not a pastor, did not have a church, was not a single father, did not have a daughter ( but used his little sister to pretend she was his daughter) all lies, just to get a what little money I had, and more that I borrowed to help him and his church. I am well educated, but I let me feelings for this man, cloud my judgement. What I think of the rest of Nigerians I could not get one to help me with the truth of the matter, they were all looking for money and they would only turn this guy in by telling me the truth if I paid them. Even his so called best friend wanted money to turn him in. I just wanted the truth.
What the hell is wrong with you people?

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (23) (Reply)

Senator Ademola Adeleke Dancing In A Church In USA (Pics, Video) / Throwback Photo Of Olusegun Obasanjo And His Family In 1979 / Masked DSS Officer With RCCG Wristband (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.