Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:04 AM

'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey - Politics (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (51340 Views)

Poll: This is a serious matter. Whose side are you on?

Nigeria: 80% (294 votes)
Oprah Winfrey: 19% (69 votes)
This poll has ended

Apc Gov Are Corrupt: Says Who????? / Every Nigerian Billionaire Is Corrupt, Says Former Minister Akinyemi / All Nigerian Military Head Of State Are Corrupt Including General Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Galad4eva(m): 3:19pm On Oct 30, 2007
How on earth will she, Oprah Winfrey say such a thing, it is a slap on the face of all Nigerians, a nation which has produce one of the best brains in the world, a nation i cherished so much, a nation that has produce a world champion in the football world. I hope she withdraw this statement with immediate effect and apologise to the entire citizens of this our Great and Beloved Nation, Nigeria.
                                                                                       , GALADIMA HAMMED
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by freelance(m): 4:19pm On Oct 30, 2007
She should not have said that because that included you and me grin

Anyway it's all good but the truth is that alot of Nigerians are corrupt.

Cheers!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by god80: 4:28pm On Oct 30, 2007
Well i dont blame her. Her ancestors were sold as slaves to america. She is just another black african woman who was born in a foriegn soil. Also the fact that she can conclude that all nigerians are corrupt then she has lost it. I bet if she is in nigeria, i mean a nigerian, she for dey sell pure water wey no get nafdac number. lol. Anyway sha these scams are really giving the entire world a wrong impression about us. Make we try stop am small.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by legendchyk(m): 7:22pm On Nov 06, 2007
this is for those who need evidence. Maybe this will help prove my source.
i
f for Any reason you saw the original copy of the letter i sent to the punch, you would have clearly seen where i stated my source.

as at the time the wind of the event was blowing, i i saw the show for my self after hearing the famouse Kenny and D1 of Kennis music calling on Nigerians to take action with respect to that statement. in there words, "i call on Nigerians, all Tv stations to stop Airing her (oprah) show and Oprah must come out publicly to apologise". like a pattroitic Nigerian i was angry over such a statement after lerning also, that she has said catty things about others like Ludacris, Ice cube etc. and decided to take it to the news paper.

For me, i was not going to wait for the Judiciary, the legislators or any of the stakeholders before reacting to what i feel was a dispicable act to my nation

if u care, i will forwad to you a couple of mails i also recieved, so u can understand the effect the show sponsored by her is having on hard working Nigerians Abroad.
hope to hear from u
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by texazzpete(m): 10:10am On Nov 07, 2007
legendchyk:

this is for those who need evidence. Maybe this will help prove my source.
i
f for Any reason you saw the original copy of the letter i sent to the punch, you would have clearly seen where i stated my source.

as at the time the wind of the event was blowing, i i saw the show for my self after hearing the famouse Kenny and D1 of Kennis music calling on Nigerians to take action with respect to that statement. in there words, "i call on Nigerians, all Tv stations to stop Airing her (oprah) show and Oprah must come out publicly to apologise". like a pattroitic Nigerian i was angry over such a statement after lerning also, that she has said catty things about others like Ludacris, Ice cube etc. and decided to take it to the news paper.

For me, i was not going to wait for the Judiciary, the legislators or any of the stakeholders before reacting to what i feel was a dispicable act to my nation

if u care, i will forwad to you a couple of mails i also recieved, so u can understand the effect the show sponsored by her is having on hard working Nigerians Abroad.
hope to hear from u

So you're the rabble-rouser responsible for this travesty? I just re-read your piece and i'm extremely unimpressed with both the authenticity of your information and the simplicity of your reasoning skills.

I, for one, think you're little more than a traitor. your article was rife with tacit support for 419, and extremely skimpy on actual plans to curb 419. In fact, you totally absolved 419 guys of the blame in the scam game. You deserve a seeing to for your crappy analogies and your insistence that corruption in Nigeria is restricted to a 'few bad eggs'.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by gboyi(m): 11:22am On Nov 07, 2007
It is pity for naija, we always run for our problem instead of us to make sure we proof our right we will be draging another thing else, how dare someone will abuse your father say don't want to fight , a word said if you ran for your problem it will become your master.
Please let those who on the position to fight do it , l have able to work with white men they never back any black against their onw men .
so make sure (Militia) you don't ran for problem, the more you ran is always your master. angry embarassed cry angry
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by texazzpete(m): 5:57pm On Nov 07, 2007
gboyi:

It is pity for naija, we always run for our problem instead of us to make sure we proof our right we will be draging another thing else, how dare someone will abuse your father say don't want to fight , a word said if you ran for your problem it will become your master.
Please let those who on the position to fight do it , l have able to work with white men they never back any black against their onw men .
so make sure (Militia) you don't ran for problem, the more you ran is always your master. angry embarassed cry angry

Unlike you, i'm an honest man. I support truth and what is right. I cannot support someone just because he/she is a Nigerian. i suggest you consider such an approach while simultaneously improving your written English.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by texazzpete(m): 9:48am On Nov 08, 2007
I didn't get to watch the show. however i have testimonies from Nigerians that watched the show and they have flagged the original letter as a false and misleading article. See here

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/board/main-square/39495-leave-oprah-alone.html

Here's an excerpt from the show

Oprah – “We mentioned Mugus, and we’ve talked about Nigeria a lot. So I know we are going to get a letter from someone saying that Nigeria has a lot of wonderful people. You don’t have to send the letter, we already know that. We just talking about this particular scam that is going on; so we’re not talking about the entire country and everyone in the country. Save your letters.”

Her guest – “And it is not Nigeria. A lot of scams originate in Nigeria are from you know, are done by Nigerians but you now the Eastern block countries are big sources of scams, the far east, you know, here in the United States, other countries. It is not exclusively a Nigerian problem.

Oprah – “Yeah we were just talking about the Nigerian scams and I am thinking we are Mugus.”

IMHO, the guy who wrote that article to the punch deserves to be slapped for misleading Nigerians like that.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by safabest(m): 4:58pm On Feb 26, 2008
Now why would any Nigerian want to be on the side of Oprah Winfrey after what she said about us? Its about time we stand up to this shit and do something like make a planned hit with Osama. Is anyone there?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 12:27am On Feb 27, 2008
when you want to you lie endvour to lie intelligently.
In ibo land we call it "ire ogwu" meaning selling fake drug
you know what i mean fake news,or give us the link to the story so that we
can react to her directly.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by palmwine(m): 5:41am On Feb 27, 2008
Why do we catch code anytime american/american sneezes? We are corrupt when they loose money to us, but when our leaders take our money to their bank , buy houses abroad and generally power their economy nobody says anything.

When their multinationals, semiens, I beg I no remember the company wey OBJ pikin go sign agreement with or have you forgoten that all the oil companies raised money for abacha to be life President?

For oprah am sure they are not correct. Make she geroouut!!!!! And MILITIA too with his/her abeg attitude isay gerrout too. grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by almondjoy(f): 7:29am On Feb 27, 2008
palmwine:

Why do we catch[b] code [/b] anytime american/american sneezes? We are corrupt when they loose money to us, but when our leaders take our money to their bank , buy houses abroad and generally power their economy nobody says anything.

When their multinationals, semiens, I beg I no remember the company wey OBJ pikin go sign agreement with or have you forgoten that all the oil companies raised money for abacha to be life President?

For oprah am sure they are not correct. Make she geroouut!!!!! And MILITIA too with his/her abeg attitude isay gerrout too. grin

Yeah!  Code Ibon! cheesy Infact the "code" I have catched from you and your post will never have any cure! grin

Did you translate that from your mother tongue abi native language? cheesy

If you want to "meet" MILITIA--you need to start a thread instead of diggin' up old ones! cool Oprah definitely does not have any time for you for sure.

Gosh this love can never die.  Why did I post those lovely photograghs from my university days?  My utmost regrets I swear!

Gosh Nairaland go kill person one day!  Chai!!!! cheesy Is Nairaland so boring that people have to go digging redundant threads? cry

Palmwine a beg go re-register with another name ok?  You don mess up this one! cheesy
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by arnno: 4:34pm On Apr 16, 2008
Why must Oprah say such a thing that all Nigerians are Corrupted? In fact, All Nigerians are not corrupted. It's only 5% of Nigerians are corrupted. Please, Oprah, don't ever make such a coment again!!! shocked ; ; angry angry angry angry
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by almondjoy(f): 1:17am On Apr 17, 2008
Moderator,

Abeg lock this topic! angry
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by tpia: 4:07am On Apr 17, 2008
Almondjoy: you're arguing with someone whose user name is palmwine?? grin grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Jakumo(m): 6:52am On Apr 17, 2008
The only way to EFFECTIVELY argue with a drunkard is to start by getting drunk, and so far I see no reliable evidence that Almondjoy has taken this preparatory measure before attempting to lock horns with his Lordship Sir Palmwine of the Push Me I Push You fame
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by almondjoy(f): 10:16am On Apr 17, 2008
he he he he he

I am so embarassed. embarassed

Una no dey see something make una cover person small! cheesy
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by sammyimsu(m): 11:29am On May 17, 2008
nigeria remaim the leader of africa no matter the efforts of the west critics, i truely hope in nigeria for africa liberation
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by HRhotness(f): 11:30am On May 17, 2008
So are we boycotting Oprah too?  grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by oludayo20(m): 12:46pm On May 17, 2008
why are you all surprised?with the way our Govt are doing business?doling out Millions in the name of constituency allowance,Have you forgotten that there are foreigners among us who daily laugh at the folly of our rulers!with the level of corruptions going on in Nigeria,Nobody will ever take us serious.Nigeria stinks!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by sholar70(m): 2:13am On Jun 11, 2008
No mind that woman, diarhoea oral diarrhoea dey worry her, she think say cos say dem don rate her the best female talkshow host she fit dey misyearn?! I stop watching her hencforth, grrrrrrhhhh
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by chidichris(m): 11:10am On Jun 11, 2008
we can't remain partial judges here just because we want to protect nigeria and nigerians.
when a group of 23 players won the olympic cup in 1996, we all shared the pleasure of saying; ýes nigerians are very good footballers". "
samuel peters has written our name with Gold on the boxing map so why are we shying away from responsibilities when it comes to what we do best - corruption.
the only thing that has taken over the totality of nigeria with its headquaters in the same seat of power - ASO ROCK.
assuming you are just coming back from any journey, a step into the MMA will reveal an atmosphere of corruption.
from MMA to any of ur choosen destination in lagos or nigeria as a whole, u must participate in one corrupt practice either delibrately or otherwise.
our roads are filled with policemen who are surposed to be our protectors but who suddenly turn into threats.
the roads and security represents the corruption levels.
i am afraid if the statement that is been attached to oprah was not made by a nigerian.
we are so corrupt that we are even afraid to say or accept the truth.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by bilymuse: 1:57pm On Jun 11, 2008
she s lying. all nigerians are saint, just like Abacha.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jun 11, 2008
This thread is toooooooooo old
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by kattie101(f): 5:30am On Oct 12, 2008
f, k oprah, she doesn't know anything about Nigerians. she always sit on her fat ass, talking about other countries,
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Ifygurl: 8:19am On Oct 13, 2008
She always saying how America's media is trying to paint all African-Americans as criminals.  That that is wrong and not true.

and yet she's doing the same thing.  next time she goes to hosiptal, tell that bitch to ask them How many are nigerians? I wonder how surprised she'll be.

Bleep Oprah.  She can go to hell for all i care.  I'm nigerian proud of that and last time i looked i'm not corrupt.

I wonder if the 5% Nigerians that does 419 makes the whole Nigerians criminals and corrupt.
I wonder what she'll say of her own people(Black Americans thatare drug-dealers and gang members which i kno are also a small percentage).
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Mpele(m): 8:23am On Oct 13, 2008
Thank you Oprah!! Americans must make sure that they're (Nigerians) proparly screened when they enter the US
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by kokorunna(m): 4:12pm On Oct 13, 2008
She is an idiot and should mind her own business.

People that fall prey to the 419's are crooks themselves/

Where you did not sow, you cannot reap.

www.moneysaversforum.com
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by lammy2(f): 5:44pm On Oct 13, 2008
Oprah! how could u!  embarassed  I used to look up to you so much

It's a pity, she came to that conclusion, i'm sure her perception is a function of her bad experiences with nigerians + hearing about other peoples bad experiences with some nigerians, i'm sure if oprah had good and positive interactions with other nigerians having a good character/ integrity, she wouldnt have come to that conclusion. This is sad.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by henrydan(m): 5:33pm On Oct 14, 2008
OPRAH WINFREY: LEAVE NIGERIANS ALONE. If history is right, there has practically been no black man who ever claimed to be an original citizen of America or better put,when the whitening disease that engulfed the upper part of mother earth was spreading,it never found it’s way down south(that even made me wonder why we have whites calling themselves South Africans).So I would not blame Oprah Winfrey who dared to ridicule the most populous black nation in Africa forgetting that her only existence in that country she calls hers was through slavery of her fore-fathers.Because I don’t know why someone as educated as her could assume,because she has access to the clown of a medium called CNN and win some cheap popularity from the white nosed Americans,she could add another punch to the dented image of my motherland, Nigeria and Africa as a whole,a continent she is directly connected. I do not actually support the activities of the yahoo-yahoo boys,but I think a lot atrocities go on in this world that are easily overlooked ,like the invasion of Iraq by America.So for someone to now think she could make an issue out of some gullible and foolish Americans falling prey to some fraudsters is the highest degree of hypocrisy! Let her just tell me what she would tag the white’s dehumanizing technique of transporting able-bodied men and women over many seas,thereby breaking family ties,and their exposure to rigorous labour meant for animals,which I’m sure Oprah’s grandparents(or even her parents)were victims under the unglorious name of slavery which is still fresh in our minds. Let no drug-peddler ever label my motherland “black and dirty” again!If her abducted neighbors are foolish enough to get their hands burnt it’s their headache. I think it is even high time the world began to appreciate the creativity of my yahoo-yahoo brothers that the new generation Africans are not as foolish as their fore-fathers whose arms were exchanged for Bibles and taken like cargos over many white man’s seas.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by ahf(m): 12:37pm On Oct 16, 2008
I think this foolish woman should be publicly "addressed" by the Federal Government of Nigeria.

Her show should be banned from Nigeria airways!!!

It is still a statement of fact that "419 easily catches the greedy ones", though not an excuse for the many Nigerian 419 people.

But they should educate their people to stop looking for mind blowing deals from Africa??
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Bawss1(m): 4:33pm On Oct 17, 2008
I dont believe that Oprah made such a statement, I question the crediblity of the link. End this useless debate! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

Shehu Sani Dumps APC, Resigns From Party / Buhari Fires CSO For ‘Leaking’ Itinerary To Diezani - TheCable / Buhari’s Victory Sparks Crisis In Lagos, Oyo, Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.