Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,999 members, 7,835,371 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (51431 Views)

Poll: This is a serious matter. Whose side are you on?

Nigeria: 80% (294 votes)
Oprah Winfrey: 19% (69 votes)
This poll has ended

Apc Gov Are Corrupt: Says Who????? / Every Nigerian Billionaire Is Corrupt, Says Former Minister Akinyemi / All Nigerian Military Head Of State Are Corrupt Including General Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by dearstan(m): 8:43pm On Aug 06, 2007
@texazzpete
so much for 419 and love for nigeria cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by 9ja4eva: 10:09pm On Aug 06, 2007
texazzpete:

As it stands, even when the exact words Oprah said were placed here, people here still insist on this crappy campaign of defamation.
I find it strange that Nairaland members come forward to claim that greedy and ignorant americans are to blame for 419, then when an American tries to sensitize the general public (her countrypeople!) on the dangers of 419 people are crying foul.
Are you sure you really want this 419 to stop? scam mails originating from Nigeria have the highest profile of them all, and that's obvious considering the sheer amount of emails we Naija based scammers sent. and unlike any other scam mails from other countries (eg Eastern europe) that are broad-based, the Naija email harvesters deliberately target authentic and confirmed email addresses, with special emphasis on those of professionals.
the Nigerian government has failed abysmally to stop 419. The only way to stop this is to starve them of their supply of mugus, and the only way to do that is to sensitize the general public. It's a shame that people here are so short-sighted that all they see is the immediate 'embarrasment'. if 419 runs for just 5 years more in Nigeria, nobody will ever trust a Nigerian again. It's better we stop this scourge NOW!

Also i cringe when i hear people say things like 'other countries are corrupt also' and 'white men do 419 too'. We forget that Nigeria (and to a lesser extent other West African Countries) is probably the only one that people can do 419 openly, and are admired for it. Try locating footage of gangs of half-naked Americans huddling in a Cafe sending spam mails. You won't see! In my last visit to Lagos, almost all the cafes i see are full of yahoo boys. Scammers openly patrol the streets of our Universities with the cars bought from their stolen loot. They proudly announce they are into 419 and no-one gives a hoot. In the clubs, they WANT to be known as scammers. Where else do you see such?

I laugh when i see people complain about racism. If some of y'all aren't racist, why complain loudly when an American (or white person) links Nigeria with 419, yet clap appreciatively when Osuofia seriously dents our image with his 'I go Chop your Dollar' which has fast become the Nigerian 419 theme song?

here's a comment made by a NIGERIAN at the YouTube video of 'I Go Chop Your Dollar'

Long Live Nigeria, NIGERIAN ROYALTIES 419 WE HERE AND WE TAKIN OVER THIS IS FOR DA HUSTLERS.DA HUSTLERS ATHEM WE TAKIN OVER 419 IS A NIGERIAN THING SO BASTARDS DON'T COPY, IF You HATE US GUESS WHAT You CAN'T AVOID US THERE IS SO MUCH WAYS OF 419, WE GOT SO MUCH TRICKS UP OUR SLEVES AND OOOH YEA UR NEXT.{N.I.G$I.N.R}419 THIS IS OUR MONEY NIGERIANS LETS GET IT, WE ARE NIGERIANS MORE SHADY DAN SICILIANS

and you guys think other people are running down our image?

Here's the link
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f1nKR3gYRY8

View the comments and if you aren't ashamed by them, then you don't deserve to be a Nigerian.

I love my country as much as anyone else, perhaps even more. Yet i appreciate the need for constructive criticism. Anyone who comes here claiming we don't have a serious issue with 419 isn't a Patriot as they think. That's treason!

PS: Oprah did the right thing by asking viewers not to write in saying there are good Nigerians. That's the logical thing to do to avoid being swamped by a deluge of calls and emails. She did the right thing by adding that not all Nigerians are corrupt. What more do you people want?

Lets keep sentiments out of our thinking and use cold, hard logic to analyse issues, ok?

Did you even follow your own advice before you made this post? Did you? You just made a strong statement without even researching, isn't that hypocrisy? Idiot.

Are you then saying NIGERIANS are the only ones involved in 419 or the yahoo yahoo thing?

Guy do ur research well.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by texazzpete(m): 9:20am On Aug 07, 2007
@9ja4eva
No. I'm not saying Nigerians are the only ones doing 419. I've NEVER said that. All i've said is, like it or not, we've become the face of 419. I suspect this is because we have the highest profile of all the countries doing 419. Notice my point tha it's FAR, FAR easier to see 419 guys walking free and openly boasting of their exploits than any other country out there.
Whether or not we're the only one out there doing this isn't the answer. We have no right to indignantly complain about the '419' thing as long as we really are somewhat guilty of the crime.
If you really love your country, stop supporting these scammers that destroy your country's name.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 9:34am On Aug 07, 2007
forget 9ja4eva
he never states any arguments or logic, he just comes and gives you 2 lines.
Why bother when people so glaringly miss the truth?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by denex: 9:37am On Aug 07, 2007
@login

"you people"?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by texazzpete(m): 5:47pm On Aug 07, 2007
And for those saying Nigeria isn't the only country with lots of corruption in all classes of people, at least realize that other countries with a similar problem are at least aggressively tackling the issue.
In China, corruption is taken a bit more seriously, last month the former head of China's food and drug safety oversight was executed for taking a quarter million pounds in bribes to approve drugs that killed dozens of people

Compare that to all the Nigerian Governors that have stolen loot and are free. Even those arrested are either free (Alams) or soon will be (Kalu, Nnamani etc).
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by BABEELOVE(f): 5:51pm On Aug 07, 2007
texazzpete:

And for those saying Nigeria isn't the only country with lots of corruption in all classes of people, at least realize that other countries with a similar problem are at least aggressively tackling the issue.
In China, corruption is taken a bit more seriously, last month the former head of China's food and drug safety oversight was executed for taking a quarter million pounds in bribes to approve drugs that killed dozens of people

Compare that to all the Nigerian Governors that have stolen loot and are free. Even those arrested are either free (Alams) or soon will be (Kalu, Nnamani etc).

And do not forget tht EFCC is gradually having it's broken wings clipped!!!!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by 9ja4eva: 6:01pm On Aug 07, 2007
somze:

forget 9ja4eva
he never states any arguments or logic, he just comes and gives you 2 lines.
Why bother when people so glaringly miss the truth?

Well if u dont know i work and i no get time to dey type tori when i can easily summarize wat i want to say.

Unlike u wey dey work for nairaland.Upon all d tori wey u dey write people no dey read am so do something better.

How my own come concern u?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by somze(f): 5:30pm On Aug 08, 2007
9ja4eva
Since you have the competency to degenerate to abuses, i will only say that your number of post is almost 7 times mine?
I know the thread where u got this from so for you to stoop down to this level is simply embarrassing.
Try and have a mind of your own, in future or simply be bold enough to say i share the views of the other attention seekers on that thread.
Say no to gossip or spreading it.
Thank you working class girl.
9ja4eva:

Well if u don't know i work and i no get time to dey type tori when i can easily summarize what i want to say.

Unlike u wey dey work for nairaland.Upon all d tori wey u dey write people no dey read am so do something better.

How my own come concern u?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by PawPaw3(m): 12:26am On Aug 09, 2007
Anyway who care wetin oprah talk en, shebi na oprah dey feed us. Who know this women outside america, no body know and care and if oprah want to jump in the river let her jump, who cares.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Midas02(m): 3:01pm On Aug 09, 2007
I have been unable to find any real irrefutable evidence of this so called Oprah show in which she labelled all Nigerians. Can anyone here sincerely tell me they watched that episode of Oprahs show??. Cos all I see and read here are second hand information. Even the Punch report doesn't provide evidence of when the show aired. i have search Oprah's website, ransacked it and checked the archive but can't find any such show. It will be appreciated if anyone here can tell me the episode number. I am unable to rush to judgement without seeing the show and understanding the context of the alleged statement. I am a man not moved by emotions, facts will serve a better purpose,
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by ibrahiem(m): 4:37pm On Aug 09, 2007
It is not her fault but da fault of those who listen to such rubbish.Whether she likes it or not Nigeria is moving to greater heights.The sky is our limit. I am so addicted to my motherland,
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 09, 2007
ibrahiem:

It is not her fault but da fault of those who listen to such rubbish.Whether she likes it or not Nigeria is moving to greater heights.The sky is our limit. I am so addicted to my motherland,

please don't give us goals,too high to achieve.
For now Mushin is our limit grin
After that we press on further towards okokomaiko grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by DrDre1(m): 11:15am On Aug 10, 2007
@ Babyosisi
There is always too much go-slow around that next area o when is the lift-off? grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by DRANOEL(m): 11:51am On Aug 10, 2007
to hell with oprah!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Gettolove(m): 2:13pm On Aug 10, 2007
If na true she talk so, her papa
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by PawPaw3(m): 5:29pm On Aug 10, 2007
Abi oo
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Sonye(f): 7:42pm On Aug 10, 2007
Oprah doesn't have any ties with Nigeria. So we do not have anything to worry about. Nigeria and Nigerians are needed everywhere. Esp America so i don't see how a "Supposed smart" woman will speak like that.
Probably a Yahoo Yahoo boi must have duped her boyfriend grin
Proudly Naija
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 11:04pm On Aug 10, 2007
Dr. Dre:

@ Babyosisi
There is always too much go-slow around that next area o when is the lift-off? grin

lol
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by ell77(f): 10:30pm On Aug 12, 2007
This is very sad, she should be supporting those Nigerian's who want to change this, not tarring every nigerian everywhere with the same brush.

Here in the UK I only know Ghanaians to do 419 and they do it well, and from inside the bank. Whenver I met a 419ster I was shocked and looked at them with caution, separating myself from them. Now to be told, because I am Nigerian means I am the corrupt one shocks me especially if Oprah is the one who said it. Anyway, it is someone like her who will be 419ed by a South african, because she trusts them by virtue of being non-nigerian. What a pity, well if I becomne wealthy I will do more for Africa than she has done, particularly Nigeria.

Ghana, South Africa etc all these places were run by corrupt governements until battles were won, Nigeria has its own battle to be won and it is obvious we can't look at people like Oprah to help.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Ndipe(m): 5:37am On Aug 13, 2007
@ell77, why would you look upto Oprah for assistance?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by Jakumo(m): 6:35am On Aug 13, 2007
My hat goes off again to Texas Pete for his straight-shooting argumentation.

The baying mob of Oprah hecklers shall by definition remain impervious to common sense and logic, since it requires the engagement of far fewer brain cells to simply howl their empty choruses of "patriotism" for the den of thieves they call home than it would to comprehend the growing contempt being brought on Nigeria by the criminal class of 419 scammers that they obviously admire so much.

Wallow contentedly in your profound ignorance, all ye Nigerian criminal-worshipping "patriots", as you prance and preen along the sewer-lined streets of your glorious homeland, and continue to bask in the illusion that Oprah Winfey gives a flying phuck whether you live or die in your beloved squalor pit.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by BABEELOVE(f): 7:15am On Aug 13, 2007
wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa ----hiccupps!!!--- wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa!!!!  See grammar!!!!

Jakumo:

The baying mob of Oprah hecklers shall by definition remain impervious to common sense and logic, since it requires the engagement of far fewer brain cells to simply howl their empty choruses of "patriotism" for the den of thieves they call home than it would to comprehend the growing contempt being brought on Nigeria by the criminal class of 419 scammers that they obviously admire so much.

Wallow contentedly in your profound ignorance, all ye Nigerian criminal-worshipping "patriots", as[b] you prance and preen along the sewer-lined streets of your glorious homeland,[/b] and continue to bask in the illusion that Oprah Winfey gives a flying phuck whether you live or die in your beloved squalor pit.

wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa----hiccupps---- wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa  wa!!!  Can't stop laffing!!! 

Jakumo:

Wallow contentedly in your profound ignorance, all ye Nigerian criminal-worshipping "patriots", as you prance and preen along the sewer-lined streets of your glorious homeland, and continue to bask in the illusion that Oprah Winfey gives a flying phuck whether you live or die in your beloved squalor pit.

Jakumo:

LOL till I pee on myself!!!  I cannot believe this thread is still here!!!!

Jakumo please say another one!!! grin

I do not know which part of this your post I love the most!!!! There is a God after all!!! grin
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by YangaRat: 7:36am On Aug 13, 2007
Haba e be like say you like that grammar no be small thing o, Babylove. If no be so you nogo quote the same writing 3 times for inside the same post. Abi the man owe you money ?
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by BABEELOVE(f): 7:45am On Aug 13, 2007
I am tripping!!!  You see, a lot has been said here and there but this Jakumo post no let me go sleep.  Even Oprah will be proud!!!  The man no owe me oh!!! I say I am just tripping!!! Chei! chei! chei!  Nairaland go kill person one day!!!

Any "baying mob of Oprah hecklers in the house"  Una get YIM oh!!!! grin

Just when you thought you had heard the last of it shocked
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by denex: 9:03am On Aug 13, 2007
"MISSING IN ACTION PART 4" (The Iraqi Story)

Quite similar to the Chuck Norris action flick about US soldiers lost after the Vietnam War in the late 1960s. And efforts by US soldiers and Government to find a solution.

However this is sort of different in that the location is Iraq, the time is right now, the perpetuators are the US Soldiers and the US Government, and the missing object is ultimately MONEY.

300,000 barrels of oil per day missing from iraq. That's enough crude to fuel Nigeria daily or in terms of cash, $30 billion since the US colonized Iraq. ie about the whole of Nigeria's foreign reserve STOLEN!

380 tonnes of explosives missing in Iraq from US Army secured bunkers. At this rate, you'd wonder if there's any need for IED raw materials to be coming in from Iran. Depending on the exact type and use of these explosives, their worth could be up to $4 billion.

$12 billion of money approved for the Iraqi war missing. That is approximately the budget of Nigeria for an entire year. One must wonder if truly this war is about mistaken Weapons of Mass Destruction, what are people doing stealing billions of dollars, siphoning hundreds of thousands of Crude Oil daily and distributing and reselling 380,000 kilograms of bombs to insurgents?

Approximately 200,000 firearms allocated to the US Army in Iraq missing. About 110,000 AK-47s and 80,000 pistols. Basically redistributed and resold to "insurgents" in Iraq. That's enough guns to adequately arm every Nigerian Soldier with non AK-47 and a sidearm pistol each, leaving an excess of 30,000 AK-47s for future use. So far this gun trade seems fairly new. It puts about $200 million in the hands of corrupt US Soldiers and Government Officials while putting in the hands of the Iraqis, the means to slaughter themselves and inadvertently, US Soldiers.

MISSING GUNS:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6932710.stm

MISSING OIL:

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/15/1514256

MISSING CASH:

www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,2008189,00.html

general summary of the missing:

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Daily_Show_explores_mysteries_of_missing_0809.html

Have we heard that barren Oprah Winfrey discussing these issues? Have yahoo-boys in their total period of existence avontlatively seen this kind of money?
Abi na Nigerian leaders dey chop all that money too?

Please if you still do not know the most corrupt country in the world, just SHUT UP!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by BABEELOVE(f): 9:07am On Aug 13, 2007
Barren Oprah Winfrey grin OMG---denex try and get some sleep. You will never change!!!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by denex: 9:27am On Aug 13, 2007
@BABEELOVE

What do you want me to change to?

Somebody that cannot bear forth fruit, cannot complain when her white masters are ripping off of tens of billions of dollars yet will come and beat down and condemn fellow people of African origin.

A REAL HOUSE NIGRESS!!!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by ell77(f): 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2007
@Ndipe - I never thought Oprah would help me personally, I don't even live in Nigeria but after all she does for other Africans I thought at the very least she will talk about Nigerians in a postive way reminding people that the problems started with the government and many Nigerians are good, decent, intelligent, ambitious, beautiful people. But I was obviously wrong. Anyway, I don't think Nigeria needs people like her - glory seekers, how did she make her money anyway? By talking! It is not intelligence or life saving treatments or technological advancements or business savvy.

It is only because she was a rich black women who gave to charity that I admired her, but no more. I see many help those as a means to glorify themselves and I think this may be one of those people.

Don't worry jare, let me make my millions and I will help my country myself, and you all should aim to do the same!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by BABEELOVE(f): 1:28pm On Aug 13, 2007
Kai!!! See what is coming out of your mouth
denex:

@BABEELOVE

What do you want me to change to?

Somebody that cannot bear forth fruit, cannot complain when her white masters are ripping off of tens of billions of dollars yet will come and beat down and condemn fellow people of African origin.

A REAL HOUSE NIGRESS!!!

Just cannot go there with you--I am sorry!!! Have you borne your own fruit Are you God sad

Na wah oh!!! You have sisters abi You may even be lucky to have a daughter. Save these names for future reference if you ever find yourself in this position!!! Did you say you were a Christian I say thank God I do not go to church!!!! HUH!!!
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by denex: 2:25pm On Aug 13, 2007
@ell77

Oprah did not start shouting South Africa because of her love for Africans her true liaison is with the White South Africans. Even the girls' prison/school she built self is just a publicity stunt. I wonder how she forgot to mention that she was polishing the image of one of the most criminal places on the surface of the earth.
I wonder if Oprah Winfrey mentioned that she built her reformatory in the plush capital city for the rich rather than the poor she claims to be helping.
I wonder why she forgot to state that parents of the children she imprisoned in her private African zoo are complaining about the place. The children are crying that they are starving and suffering.

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,9294,2-7-1442_2081757,00.html

over there in the USA, Oprah does not even associate herself with African Americans let alone help real Africans.
Re: 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey by doublehark(m): 3:35pm On Aug 13, 2007
Although we cannot totally all Nigerians are not corrupt, but the same can also be said for even countries in the Developed part of the World. It is a shame that people of such internationally acclaimed repute could sometimes open their mouths without thinking of the effect their utterances would have on the ones at the receiving end. How can someone who has not even had a 1st-hand experience of living in a country where the majority of the population are impoverished, know anything about the more-than-hundred millions of the people? Like the white rascists that religiously persecuted the ancestors of these people now labeling their origin as "Corrupt" they too can be conveniently labelled "Racists", dont you think? But it doesnt take super-dupa intelligence or genius to know that it is improper and criminal to take a few instance as a reason to destroy the cherished name of a whole nation, so we here in Nigeris will not resort to such dumb behavior of calling all Americans violent and immoral just because of few or even widespread cases at that. I can only say to Oprah that she should check herself and think Real Deep before she genaralizes about something she can never even begin to think about knowing. angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Masked DSS Officer With RCCG Wristband (Pictured) / 4 Weeks In Power : Ikpeazu Changing The Face Of Aba Roads_igberetv.com / Table Showing Buhari’s Appointments By Geopolitical Zones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.