Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,245 members, 7,811,688 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) (45787 Views)

Say Something About This Generator. / Did This Generator Cause You Any Harm / I Need An Engineer For This Generator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Tokskob2008: 8:35am On Nov 25, 2021
Lol.... Middle class family generator in the early 2000s.

Wahala starts when the roller refuses to eject out properly.

Next thing na to jaapaa or you loose the whole of you teeth and possibly your head sef...

9 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by DelTel(m): 8:36am On Nov 25, 2021
Too many butter pikin for Nairaland o grin, this generator you calling dangerous is over plentiful in Somolu- the world's largest colony of printers, some buildings even have more than 1

24 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Explorers(m): 8:37am On Nov 25, 2021
ExAngel007:
funnnnny comments

Visit yabaleft on ig to see funny comments about the gen.

4 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by tillaman(m): 8:56am On Nov 25, 2021
fortune1894:
Will never forget this Gen back then ours was either Imec or Emec I can’t really remember the product now but when it’s getting old the light go just Dey shake small small
imex

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by heniford2: 10:13am On Nov 25, 2021
Memories kia grin cheesy RIP dad i miss you cry i remember grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by aieromon(m): 10:20am On Nov 25, 2021
DelTel:
Too many butter pikin for Nairaland o grin, this generator you calling dangerous is over plentiful in Somolu- the world's largest colony of printers, some buildings even have more than 1

This was the first generator I even learnt how to start and I experienced no difficulty during its service.

Pros
-The generator powers appliances without sweat (deep freezer+fridge+electric iron+water pump).
-Burns diesel slowly, just avoid running the engine dry or you will be billed for bleeding.

Cons
-Loud, very loud.
-Took me a while to learn the skill as I was left handed and the plant was installed to suit right handed operators. This is the second best thing I learnt how to do with my "useless" right hand.

The plant served well until it was retired from active service (1996 to 2003). My watch started from 1999 when my sisters retired from the work. grin

24 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by iamoyindamola(m): 10:27am On Nov 25, 2021
Let me just laugh
You see this gen aka run for your life grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Explorers(m): 10:31am On Nov 25, 2021
DelTel:

Some are even seeing it for the first time.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Meteng: 10:44am On Nov 25, 2021
This gen almost killed my uncle. He had one installed in the village back then, as a "big man". Puts it on anytime he comes on hols from Lagos. One day, he had an early morning visitor, he woke up and went to put on the gen, tying his wrapper! The thing caught his, wrapper, dragged him to the gen, I can't even remember how he got off because we ran away, screaming for help. That was the last time that gen was started in his house

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Mastakija(m): 10:49am On Nov 25, 2021
Explorers:
Lister multipurpose diesel engine.

Buy and attach to alternator with two drums filled with water(Hot&Cold water).

Do not move closer to this engine if you're wearing agbada or Tie.

To start, you need to roll with one hand and the other hand on the choke at the same time.

When you roll fast enough, shift the choke and it picks.

When hear the pick sound with vibration, 'gba gba gba gba' remove the starter/roller.

Failure to do so, RUN.

i agree with u bro
That generator is very dangerous
I remember when dat generator cut a boy's hand i saw the way blood was really gushing out from his hand
The boy died eventually

6 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 25, 2021
The Gen been show me shege that year for I.C.E Oleh, when I dey service.
Before I could master it, I was hit so many times on my right leg. I would just roll it for like 5 seconds then remove the roller. This Gen no go start o cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by cayorday89(m): 11:15am On Nov 25, 2021
As a filling station supervisor, the Gen was installed the very day I started work and my first ever close experience with it, on that day it injured the engineer when someone started and failed to remove the starter, and with smoke accompanying it, he tried to remove it and it hit his hand and got swollen immediately.
We use battery to start it and almost every 4 to 5 days the battery is down, and to start becomes a problem. Had to try one day when the ba3 was down to use the starter and I could not remove it, na so I run oooo, I had to dodge enter the Gen house, pulled the string to stop it and at the same time watching out for my dear body parts. The Gen comes with numerous problems, like it can go off and won't come up for some time again and can be annoying, at a point I just abandoned it and focus on petrol Gen.

God help you when you just manage to put it on and NEPA restore power, you put if off and the light goes again, and repeat it the process again, at the third attempt the Gen will just refuse to come up.

16 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by siofra(f): 11:55am On Nov 25, 2021
What the hell is that?? cheesy

1 Like

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Olumighty123(m): 11:57am On Nov 25, 2021
We call it whine am well!! Omo, as far back as 2008/2009, I use to be a cafe attendance and we were using this gen, in the midst of type setting and selling tickets to attending to customers, I'm also the generator engineer, I remember how I use to have to fetch a truck of water to fill in the water drum to this gen, to putting diesel to the other drum even while this gen is powered on, ontop 7k salary grin this particular gen works with calculation, whine well then remove the whiner and then switch the choke. I never had issue one time with this great piece..

Modified: I usually go home with my cloth stained with black oil, hands like a motor mechanic grin

13 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Explorers(m): 12:13pm On Nov 25, 2021
Olumighty123:
We call it whine am well!! Omo, as far back as 2008/2009, I use to be a cafe attendance and we were using this gen, in the midst of type setting and selling tickets to attending to customers, I'm also the generator engineer, I remember how I use to have to fetch a truck of water to fill in the water drum to this gen, to putting diesel to the other drum even while this gen is powered on, ontop 7k salary grin this particular gen works with calculation, whine well then remove the whiner and then switch the choke. I never had issue one time with this great piece..

Whine am well

8 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 25, 2021
Explorers:
Dad bought/installed it in 2000, but removed it when i gained admissions in 2006.

Nobody to start it.

Mind you, this isn't the type of gen you use when NEPA is doing the on/off, on/off, on/off wahala.

Once Nepa brings light, you need to take your time and be sure you really want to shut down the the engine.

Once you shut down the engine and NEPA off light again, that's it, till another Day.

My hostels landlord in Unad/Eksu also bought this lister engine from one nearby block industry(used).

He also bought alternator with it to power the hostel(Gmath).

After the installation, i was feeling big thinking i can start it just because we have at home.

This one is special, it takes atleast 3-5 guys to start the engine, you whine, whine, bleed fuel, and whine again till you're exhausted and next guys takes turn before you can start it.

We used it for like 1session 07/08 before we abandoned the gen.

Throughout that period, only one guy could start it alone in a hostel of almost 80rooms and 30 guys.

The guy will go somewhere to weed first and try several times.

i live in cool estate that time, besides you
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Lordbinsmar: 12:44pm On Nov 25, 2021
grin
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by chudyprince: 12:51pm On Nov 25, 2021
once you try to start it and the wheel reversed backward, e don break down be that!

1 Like

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by naijapips02: 12:52pm On Nov 25, 2021
The funniest thread in Nairaland for sometime now.

12 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by KingMack(m): 1:02pm On Nov 25, 2021
How time flies..we used to own this Gen and I learnt a lot, I can start, Change oil, bleed, and even install some parts grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 25, 2021
very easy 2 start
na only the noise be problem
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 25, 2021
siofra:
What the hell is that?? cheesy
na old days bicycle undecided
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by spinna: 2:55pm On Nov 25, 2021
Wuapapapapa.. thats the sound it makes..you must pull the starter out immediately it picks or else danger dey

8 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Kakamorufu(m): 3:01pm On Nov 25, 2021
This generator was bought by my dad in 2006 to counter lessen the load on our Elemax generator.

I and my brothers are the ones who always operate it, i've always been careful when whinning the gen.

Now that all boys have grown up and went out to have their own homes, the gen has been resting peacefully there.
It's just thrice in a year that its called upon. Most times when there is family function or we came around and they need it to quickly do something. grin grin

Papa sef no dey near am at all.

UPDATE!!

He finally sold the engine out grin

11 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by jericco1(m): 3:26pm On Nov 25, 2021
If you never chop and also don't know the technique, just forget it.

8 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by odaniel1(m): 3:34pm On Nov 25, 2021
Engineers in the house, if you recall, this gen was so powerful it could carry heavy equipment like pressing iron, boiling ring, etc. all at the same time. Why was this? i personally believed the curse behind starting the gen was so great it moved electricity to slavery.. grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by angelfallz(m): 4:16pm On Nov 25, 2021
From the comments above, this sounds like a very dangerous generator. On filling station close by uses it, I never knew it was dangerous.

2 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Ejebleje: 4:45pm On Nov 25, 2021
Lovely thread. Feels so good reading about diverse experiences of people with this Gen

1 Like

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by adebayour26: 6:09pm On Nov 25, 2021
tillaman:
shocked
I am left handed so it was hard getting this lister to start but with time I understood the trick but you see the day that roller hit my dad on his knee baba sat down on the floor I no fit laugh ooo, i don warn am but that Crazy afternoon was humbling for my pops, baba no gree look my face I come dey pity am say see my Superman o
that was the last time he touched the lister, ours was so powerful that it powers our electric iron that year, 2007 or there about

This got me laughing with tears dripping from my face.
I know how some fathers will always act like Jackie Chan (dem no go wan listen to their children advice)

Now, generator don hit leg

11 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Angelacruz: 7:25pm On Nov 25, 2021
Lol...we r still using it .
oz4real83:
The person who invented this "lister generator" design should be added to the list of "serial wounders or injurers" grin. Starting this generator, no matter how experienced you are, should never be taken carelessly. You can lose your eyes, teeth and any part of the body if u are not careful grin
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Angelacruz: 7:30pm On Nov 25, 2021
So funny...
Meteng:
This gen almost killed my uncle. He had one installed in the village back then, as a "big man". Puts it on anytime he comes on hols from Lagos. One day, he had an early morning visitor, he woke up and went to put on the gen, tying his wrapper! The thing caught his, wrapper, dragged him to the gen, I can't even remember how he got off because we ran away, screaming for help. That was the last time that gen was started in his house
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by MidaserveNG: 9:29pm On Nov 25, 2021
Waa gbayi !!
A friend once had the Generator. One night while in use, it drove itself down from Gen House to Owner's House like the "Dancing Palm Tree" grin

Sadly, Highly Unrecommended sad
Explorers:
Lister multipurpose diesel engine.

Buy and attach to alternator with two drums filled with water(Hot&Cold water).

Do not move closer to this engine if you're wearing agbada or Tie.

To start, you need to roll with one hand and the other hand on the choke at the same time.

When you roll fast enough, shift the choke and it picks.

When hear the pick sound with vibration, 'gba gba gba gba' remove the starter/roller.

Failure to do so, RUN.

Lalasticlala

Not safe for under 18

9 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What's This Light Travelling In The Sky? (photo) / Residents Gather As Elephants Are Spotted In Kebbi. See What Happened. Photos / Nigerian Man Makes Crocodile Out Of Plastic Wastes (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.