Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,175 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) (45784 Views)

Say Something About This Generator. / Did This Generator Cause You Any Harm / I Need An Engineer For This Generator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Tbizey1: 5:10pm On Dec 01, 2021
This gen mehn. Before I got to know how to start this gen properly I normally pick race after whining the stuff cos the starter won't remove that was years back around 2007. Now i can whine the damn thing anyhow but still got my knee hit by the starter this year, I didn't know my leg was close to the engine when I was starting it and as I removed the starter I was hit , Ọmọ see the wey my eyes turn instantly I felt dizzy, for like 20mins I just lay on my bed before I recovered.

12 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by lenghtinny(m): 5:10pm On Dec 01, 2021
Na plant we dey call am that year....

As you dey roll, if you lose guard you go collect angry

7 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Olumighty123(m): 5:12pm On Dec 01, 2021
adedayourt:
This gen killed a man on my street, the man has a welding workshop with plenty of apprentice, the man wanted to go put it on one day, he was wearing a babariga (old agbada).

while whinning the handle got tangled with his babariga lifted him up and slammed up on the floor.

He was rescued but he did n ot survive the accident

This exact same thing happened in my area, Oke Area. Could be the same scenerio

2 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by nedekid: 5:13pm On Dec 01, 2021
MrJames007:
Back in 2014 I tried starting this thing for the first time, the handle flipped off and hit my head. Left the damn thing and walked away with a bump on my head. I canur come and kee mysef.
You guys just want to wound somebody with laugh. Today sha!!
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Reference(m): 5:19pm On Dec 01, 2021
Hmmm....Mister Lister.... aka bone collector.
Read most comments..... so true but the one missed all along is the real definition of kick back when the choke is engaged and compression is not enough to spark ignition... the thing kicks like a mule.

That got me many, many times in the early 80's at home.
But the one that remains in memory was during one of those holidays when this generator had grown stubborn and resistant to all attempts to start it.

Well I left it for the new Maiguard (lived in Kano at that time) who was eager to impress albeit with a lot of concern when I learnt he had never seen one before.

My oh my, I have never seen a grown man, upside down, five feet in the air and screaming for dear life as he was flung away by the recoil. Men, I quietly walked away. Pops just called for the mechanic. The guy was not himself for days and any time he walked by the damn thing he would just shake his head.

Lister no be here abeg.

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by belcom10(m): 5:20pm On Dec 01, 2021
This gen. Trapped my brother cloth then. Na God save him, though he sustained serious injury and was rushed to the hospital.

1 Like

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by odimbannamdi(m): 5:22pm On Dec 01, 2021
OssyMalik:
This type of generator caused my neighbor to go blind on one eye after trying to start it. Dude is late now sha after the eye frustrated him

Sad
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Ara21(f): 5:23pm On Dec 01, 2021
As a small girl growing I over wine this thing.
I think I am still the only girl that did this at my age. Now these are the things I look back and smile.

3 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by ShoeShineGuy: 5:33pm On Dec 01, 2021
Explorers:

When you roll fast enough, shift the choke and it picks.

When hear the pick sound with vibration, 'gba gba gba gba' remove the starter/roller.

Failure to do so, RUN.
Ahaha..
Lister man, Lister generator. Old man still has the one we grew up rolling at home. Uses diesel and used to be quite fuel efficient. Anytime I visit home, it's still one of those things I love going back to. Man, the risks involved nor be here but I'm already a master operator. My younger bro is even way better at it than myself.

1 Like

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Roseey0(f): 5:35pm On Dec 01, 2021
We still use it in the villa till date...
It's only the guys in the family that go near it.
It Powers 5 building(my father and his brothers) in our compound effortlessly, you can iron with it. Very strong something. I am sure my father is looking for who will service it now because everyone looks forward to it every Xmas since there is no nepa light.

4 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by poiZon: 5:37pm On Dec 01, 2021
iamyemiakins:
Lister, the noise sef na something else!
This one na water cool, it doesnt make much noise.

Ours is jet engine, upgrade of this.
We bought it 2002 cos of our bore hole.
Still remember when water finished and my cousin was the one selling, i no answer am, just told him to go start am pump water dey sell. Next thing, one hefty guy came to buy water so my cousin cornered him and he followed to go start gen. 20minutes i no hear generator sound, na so i waka enter back go check wetin dey happen... Lo and behold bobo dey run handle, bobo don sweat soak all body meanwhile gen never start. Told d guy to comot, na one hand i take start am.
But that gen suffer us o...
Na only me come dey manage am
As i travel go uyo, before i come back they don park am one side.

3 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by kuntash: 5:44pm On Dec 01, 2021
I am not sure I can boast of reading at a stretch 5 pages on any thread on Nairaland since I joined ...

So funny responses , makes you laugh also only just with one that related it to sexcapades which wasn't humorous but logical to me ...

Let me drop my comment about this Gen from another perspective ..

You see, the likes of India , Brazil , Malaysia made and used this generators as expected from any developing country ..... Many of the so called first world did pass thru same process ..

guess what , Nigeria should by today surpass or be at par with those 3 countries , we can't produce any of the parts , or even the belt that drives the motor ...

Someone said it's been used since 1997 till date , sadly it would seem today in this country that light seem to be better in 1997 compared to now .....

The big question therefore is how are we faring , what lessons have been learnt so far , both by the electorates and the rulers that should think thru many things the people have passed thru to sustain themselves ...

My people , let use this thread as time for fun to laugh as well as the nostalgic episodes we have had about good old times and reminisce around getting a better future ...

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 01, 2021
Something we I begin operate at 12 years
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Handsomebb: 5:47pm On Dec 01, 2021
i kuku like my pipo, with series of comments about it my Dad jejely bought Tiger gen, we com be like boss for the barrack.

1 Like

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Styluss: 5:48pm On Dec 01, 2021
Explorers:
Lister multipurpose diesel engine.

Buy and attach to alternator with two drums filled with water(Hot&Cold water).

Do not move closer to this engine if you're wearing agbada or Tie.

To start, you need to roll with one hand and the other hand on the choke at the same time.

When hear the pick sound with vibration, 'gba gba gba gba' remove the starter/roller.

Failure to do so, RUN.
lister... Omoh... Run ooo
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by thundafire: 5:52pm On Dec 01, 2021
Explorers:
Lister multipurpose diesel engine.

Buy and attach to alternator with two drums filled with water(Hot&Cold water).

Do not move closer to this engine if you're wearing agbada or Tie.

To start, you need to roll with one hand and the other hand on the choke at the same time.

Failure to do so, RUN.
my neighbor lose guard and dey metal nack him bone for leg hear shout
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by theamazonguru(m): 5:53pm On Dec 01, 2021
tillaman:
shocked
I am left handed so it was hard getting this lister to start but with time I understood the trick but you see the day that roller hit my dad on his knee baba sat down on the floor I no fit laugh ooo, i don warn am but that Crazy afternoon was humbling for my pops, baba no gree look my face I come dey pity am say see my Superman o
that was the last time he touched the lister, ours was so powerful that it powers our electric iron that year, 2007 or there about

It's not just yours.
All listers can power electric iron.
Generator wey fit supply light to a whole community.
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by thundafire: 5:56pm On Dec 01, 2021
tillaman:
shocked
I am left handed so it was hard getting this lister to start but with time I understood the trick but you see the day that roller hit my dad on his knee baba sat down on the floor I no fit laugh ooo, i don warn am but that Crazy afternoon was humbling for my pops, baba no gree look my face I come dey pity am say see my Superman o
that was the last time he touched the lister, ours was so powerful that it powers our electric iron that year, 2007 or there about
that gen fit power a whole street
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by superjaks(m): 6:06pm On Dec 01, 2021
Every one in my house have been asking me why I'm laughing like a mad man grin grin

Around 2009/2010 when I was learning graphic design in a printing press company, because of my huge body figure, the responsibility of starting the gen falls on me

First day at work, my boss tried to show me how to start this engine, the whiner almost remove his knee cap

Whenever I on this engine and the whiner got stuck, na temple run oo

To on this machine, you either need to smoke well or eat well if not ehn

7 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by AceDomino(m): 6:08pm On Dec 01, 2021
This stupid monster gave me a forever scar on my face...

1 Like

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Exodora: 6:16pm On Dec 01, 2021
My uncle still uses Lister just recently he bought generator instead of him to buy the one's with key he stubbornly went ahead to buy the one wey person go draw like say na him dey start am.
His two children are abroad ooo, one is even a doctor and the other one is very famous and rich but this man and stinginess na waaaaaah. I don't blame him is because he see people that are starting it for him.
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Calicoe: 6:18pm On Dec 01, 2021
Dis lister wound me dat year. I dey fear make d whiner nor go remain for the engine when e start so I com put the whiner at the tip so dat e go quick me remove am when e start. That style na fatal one I swear. As I dey whine am, na so the thing slip comot then my hand com punch the concrete floor. My knuckle bleed anyhow with days of excruciating pain

3 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by lenghtinny(m): 6:21pm On Dec 01, 2021
sharpwriter:

Lolz.... how come? cheesy I think it wasn't well planted. You know that they don't even call it generator then, it is called PLANT.
You Sabi.....

I didn't know it was also called a generator until now. Na plant we dey call am

3 Likes

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by IzzyAgu: 6:32pm On Dec 01, 2021
lkillbrokehoes:
Nawa oh. see the generator like arsenal. undecided
Strong abi �
Like we club

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Nobody: 6:37pm On Dec 01, 2021
Interestingly, the scar is fading as it is about 15 years ago.

The start lever refused to remove due to friction and I extended my hand to quickly remove it as the gen was picking up race.
I was not fast enough, the thing hit me hard and I felt the pain from my bones.

I sat down for 5 minutes in front of it , couldn't scream and didn't care if the whole thing hit me.
I left when the pain subsided and managed to turn it off with a stick later on

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by araoye(m): 6:46pm On Dec 01, 2021
This wicked generator that killed a man in apata and ripped his dead body to shreds. I fear Lister generator die
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Ykc2(m): 6:49pm On Dec 01, 2021
All this one wey dey hard to start na from India and china,when lister still dey nigeria, I dey 9 years ,dey whine lister to start it, very easy,but new lister no dey again for naija

1 Like

Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by judedwriter(m): 6:51pm On Dec 01, 2021
Those good old days grin

I remember those old days! We had this type of generator in my family's house.

It was such struggle to put it on! Just like pounding yam grin
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by Adesina18111(m): 6:54pm On Dec 01, 2021
tillaman:
shocked
You nearly broke my ribs this evening and I was helplessly laughing out loud...Lister na bastard
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by VlamesIffect(f): 7:04pm On Dec 01, 2021
Ta TA TA TA TA TA TA TA TA TA grin grin grin grin grin
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by enirock(m): 7:27pm On Dec 01, 2021
lenghtinny:
Na plant we dey call am that year....

As you dey roll, if you lose guard you go collect angry
Na the name wey I take know am be this. Na so we dey call am that year. Na im them take dey power garri engine... Good old days.
Re: People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) by EwuGambia: 7:40pm On Dec 01, 2021
Still started this gen last year christmas...... undecided

Omor!!...we build solid house for our own...so incase e throw you commot, e go sure say you still dey within the compound.... make you for no lostundecided

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What's This Light Travelling In The Sky? (photo) / Residents Gather As Elephants Are Spotted In Kebbi. See What Happened. Photos / Nigerian Man Makes Crocodile Out Of Plastic Wastes (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.