Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,939 members, 7,821,294 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) - Properties (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) (64085 Views)

Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment / My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled / Please Help. My Apartment Is Being Haunted By A Ghost. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by HEAVEN4444: 4:34am On Dec 01, 2021
officialfestus:
I don't think that your battery bank is up to 200AH
It is. 200.000MAH. that is 200AH

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Fapemz: 4:49am On Dec 01, 2021
vibratingpenis:

How can you be rating batteries in wh instead of the traditional Ah and voltage so that the customers can do the maths themselves or you want to confuse them?

Our batteries are of different sizes: 100Ah, 40Ah and 25Ah and can give out 5v,12v, 16v, 19v and 24v
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by seunlayi(m): 5:16am On Dec 01, 2021
Jimasun00:

If you are in ibadan.We do installation of inverters
how much can you handle a replica of Op's work. Note that the battery he got can be procured with 30k and better battery and the price he got his. And note that it should have more solar panels for faster charging especially when been used during the day.....?
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by seunlayi(m): 5:17am On Dec 01, 2021
akpota:
boss I am a solar guy who loves DIY and done a lot of stuff like this.
You could even go cheaper if I saw this post before. But please don’t drain deep cycle to 0%. I would advice keep it within 50% depth of discharge(DOD).
Anyways me I don leave una for deep cycle batteries wahala lolz.
Let us something bro, I need this too asap
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Oleka1: 5:42am On Dec 01, 2021
lasthero:
Mods, I don't know the right thread to post this. If romance section isn't the right thread, you can move it to the appropriate section.

Moved into a new apartment and realized the light isn't too good. Average of 6 to 10 hours per day and sometimes, there won't be light for like 3 days on a stretch.

I do freelance, love watching movies, I have a small fridge which serves me cold water, I need fan to cushion the heat. This implies that I need a constant light and with the epileptic light situation around, I felt I needed to do something.

My first thought was to get a generator. Average 1kva generator cost 80- 100k. I will have to be buying fuel, buying oil and also servicing the generator regularly.

I almost bought a new generator from jumia during the black Friday sales until I heard the rumors that fuel will likely to be sold for 320/ litre in 2022, I had to abort the generator plan and seek for alternative.

Then the thought of inverter came in. To figure out the specific watt to purchase, I first analyze the power rating of all my electronics.

1 dc led TV - 12v 3A which equals 36watt,
1 gotv - 12v 1A which equals 12wat,
1 dc standing fan in living room of 12v 2A which equals 24watt,
My laptop of 18v 2.3A which equals 41.4 watt,
1 table top fridge of 45watt,
6 energy saving bulbs of 5w each in entire apartment (bedroom, living room, toilet, kitchen, corridors, which equals 30watt
Phone chargers of 5v 2A which equals 10w.
1 wall fan in the bedroom of 45w

When I summed all the power ratings, I arrived at 243.4 watt in total.

So with miscellaneous appliances like woofer and the likes. I concluded And settled for 500w inverter.
This is great, will like to do something like this too. But I have a question is it possible to charge it with electricity too considering raining season
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by gulfer: 6:13am On Dec 01, 2021
lasthero:

On the roof
Ok, thanks
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by abdullahi45: 6:15am On Dec 01, 2021
lasthero:
Mods, I don't know the right thread to post this. If romance section isn't the right thread, you can move it to the appropriate section.

Moved into a new apartment and realized the light isn't too good. Average of 6 to 10 hours per day and sometimes, there won't be light for like 3 days on a stretch.

I do freelance, love watching movies, I have a small fridge which serves me cold water, I need fan to cushion the heat. This implies that I need a constant light and with the epileptic light situation around, I felt I needed to do something.

My first thought was to get a generator. Average 1kva generator cost 80- 100k. I will have to be buying fuel, buying oil and also servicing the generator regularly.

I almost bought a new generator from jumia during the black Friday sales until I heard the rumors that fuel will likely to be sold for 320/ litre in 2022, I had to abort the generator plan and seek for alternative.

Then the thought of inverter came in. To figure out the specific watt to purchase, I first analyze the power rating of all my electronics.

6 energy saving bulbs of 5w each in entire apartment (bedroom, living room, toilet, kitchen, corridors, which equals 30watt

So with miscellaneous appliances like woofer and the likes. I concluded And settled for 500w inverter.

Brilliant!
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Nobody: 6:17am On Dec 01, 2021
lasthero:

I got it online on jiji. I posted the links on page 2
ok thanks
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by allytinted: 7:08am On Dec 01, 2021
In case, just incase
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by TheOgaBoss: 7:10am On Dec 01, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Nice one bro.

A single usage must not be lower than 70% of your battery if you want it to last. Well, it depends on your battery as some can still take 60% to 65%. If you keep using your battery below the level specified on your battery, it will kill it fast.

So, every night you use it, make sure it doesnt go below the recommended level which is always btw 60% - 70% of the battery.

Goodluck bro!
regular lead cycle batteries can only take about 50% only deep cycle batteries can go that deep
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Cheryph200(m): 7:52am On Dec 01, 2021
Please your contact, I have some one here in Lagos that need it urgently
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Populardemand(m): 8:06am On Dec 01, 2021
[quote author=lasthero post=107972589]Mods, I don't know the right thread to post this. If romance section isn't the right thread, you can move it to the appropriate section.

I almost bought a new generator from jumia during the black Friday sales until I heard

Good
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by tasceige(m): 8:12am On Dec 01, 2021
Myzubby:
guy man I just dey here dey give you holy jealousy.
You chose the best option economic wise

Ecosystem friendly too!!

2 Likes

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by TheOgaBoss: 8:41am On Dec 01, 2021
Ogbrave:
This is mine...got it for 6 months now...can go 12 hours with jux my fan and balbs on.
150 watts, that should give you about 900watts of usable power.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by IbadeHQ: 8:43am On Dec 01, 2021
Skillsnigeria:
That's good, you should have bought original battery brand and not gbm. But you can still manage it

Please which one is the original brand. I'm planning to get one soon.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by TheOgaBoss: 8:45am On Dec 01, 2021
Prechgold1180:

Bro enjoy
But have it in the back of your mind that it won’t last

Soon that ba3 would start giving you issues from 8 hours a day to 5 hours then to 3 hours before final parking off

Wetyn man nva experience bfor

I have that solar sheet in my hus but not functioning anymore we haven’t had light for close to three months now Nd I burn 8k on fuel weekly sometimes if Neigbours they charge phone for my room e Dey pain one ask for cold water i nearer tell am how much be fuel not like I am wicked but bros if I calculate fuel money for u e go read open something
a good quality battery should last up to 2 years. How long did yours last? Is the solar panel still working or it has packed up too? If you ever go this route again I would advice you to use lithium batteries, they last far longer

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by IbadeHQ: 9:10am On Dec 01, 2021
talk2hb1:

You should have opt for 200-300Watts Panel, it will charge battery faster.
Just buy additional 150watts panel to it, you did well.

Please...for longevity sake can i use my fuel generator to charge 200amp battery and inverter.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by mustaphagreens(m): 9:14am On Dec 01, 2021
lasthero:

Thank you so much for this. My question is: when the battery is charging with solar, does the inverter draw power from the battery to power your appliances? Or is power supplied directly to it from the charge controller, thus allowing the battery to charge faster? In my experience when charging with NEPA or Gen, the appliances use power directly from the gen, I believe there is a mechanism in the inverter that triggers this action, however, It might be different for solar charging since the set up is different, i.e. Solar pv -> Charge controller -> Battery -> Inverter -> Load(s). If my worry is valid, is there a way to run the connection to allow direct power usage from the charge controller during the day, and then from the battery backup at night?

2 Likes

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by talk2hb1(m): 9:18am On Dec 01, 2021
IbadeHQ:

Please...for longevity sake can i use my fuel generator to charge 200amp battery and inverter.
Bad Idea, very very bad idea.
Most generators we use at home are not good for that. Although, it will charge it, but it will degrade it quicker than you think.
Please Don't!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Skillsnigeria: 9:19am On Dec 01, 2021
IbadeHQ:

Please which one is the original brand. I'm planning to get one soon.

There are many original battery brand, but they are more expensive than the fake ones, you can buy original quanta, ritar, full river and others original brand which I don't want to mention here, make he no be like say I dey advertise for them.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by IbadeHQ: 9:25am On Dec 01, 2021
talk2hb1:

Bad Idea, very very bad idea.
Most generators we use at home are not good for that. Although, it will charge it, but it will degrade it quicker than you think.
Please Don't!

Thank you.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by IbadeHQ: 9:25am On Dec 01, 2021
Skillsnigeria:

There are many original battery brand, but they are more expensive than the fake ones, you can buy original quanta, ritar, full river and others original brand which I don't want to mention here, make he no be like say I dey advertise for them.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Nobody: 9:40am On Dec 01, 2021
TheOgaBoss:
regular lead cycle batteries can only take about 50% only deep cycle batteries can go that deep
Maybe you dont understand me. You said 50%, I said 70%. It can level at 70% not 50%. Meaning that 50% level is lower. 100% is full. Recommended is 60 - 70%. But your 50% is lower...not the other way round. Hope you get me now.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by eROCK247(m): 9:45am On Dec 01, 2021
lasthero:
I looked around online on jumia, jiji and konga for ranges of 500watt inverters and chargers. After a rigorous check and comparison, I settled for this (picture attached) for 35k.

It is a 2 -in-1 package.( Solar charger / controller + 800va - 500w inverter). So no need for a separate solar controller

Abeg where you buy dem? I'll really appreciate a recommendation.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by TheOgaBoss: 9:56am On Dec 01, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Maybe you dont understand me. You said 50%, I said 70%. It can level at 70% not 50%. Meaning that 50% level is lower. 100% is full. Recommended is 60 - 70%. But your 50% is lower...not the other way round. Hope you get me now.
oh you are saying the battery should only be discharged to 70%, that will even make the battery last longer
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Ultimer(m): 9:58am On Dec 01, 2021
Oh, I used to have problems with the light in my apartment as well. And the worst part was that my fridge would always leak once there was no light for a long time, and at one point, it messed up my kitchen that I had to buy new Kitchen Cabinets BURLINGTON. And after that, I decided to install solar panels as well, and I don't regret it at all.

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Nobody: 10:11am On Dec 01, 2021
TheOgaBoss:
oh you are saying the battery should only be discharged to 70%, that will even make the battery last longer

Discharging to 50% is not recommended for some batteries. Professionally will tell you that for you to enjoy it, the lowest it should reach is 70%. 50% is too low. Go and check most systems connected by real professionals and not these Nigerian technicians. Its btw 60 and 70%. Diacharging to level 50% is too dangerous. Though, it will last longer than discharging to 10% to 40%. If you want your battery remain as new as you bought it, it should be around 60 - 70%. Always aim at 70% and let it drain further on rare occassions to 60%.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 11:14am On Dec 01, 2021
Oleka1:

This is great, will like to do something like this too. But I have a question is it possible to charge it with electricity too considering raining season

Yes, you can. There are chargers like this

2 Likes

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Oleka1: 11:16am On Dec 01, 2021
lasthero:

Yes, you can. There are chargers like this
Ok . Thanks
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 11:18am On Dec 01, 2021
eROCK247:

Abeg where you buy dem? I'll really appreciate a recommendation.

Jiji. I posted link on page 2

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 11:49am On Dec 01, 2021
Bigchristo:
So how many appliances can this inverter power in your apartments? I needed something economical like this

It carries all the appliances I listed on the first page.
The more the load/watt the shorter the power duration

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by okey4reel(m): 12:00pm On Dec 01, 2021
lasthero:

Nice pls kindly drop ur whatsapp, i will like to ask u about somethings cos i also want to set up something like this

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

Aluminium Profile, Glass And Accessories For Doors And Windows And Glass House / Tenant Who Was Served Quit Notice Builds Beautiful House Opposite Landlord / Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.