Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,054 members, 7,810,939 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:54 PM

How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) (63886 Views)

Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment / My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled / Please Help. My Apartment Is Being Haunted By A Ghost. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by staga: 9:48pm On Nov 30, 2021
Daddi:

Generator can charge the solar system, right?
Please go back to page 1 and see the OP's second post where he even put up a picture of the 2-in-1 charge controller. Two-in-one means the controller both has a solar charging section, and another to charge using either public power or generator.

2 Likes

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by litaninja(m): 9:49pm On Nov 30, 2021
Great start. Since DIY is up your alley, where you really want to go is the link below.

https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta

Tons of info, assistance, tips and by the time you're ready to expand the setup you'd be better prepped. Nice one.

lasthero:
Mods, I don't know the right thread to post this. If romance section isn't the right thread, you can move it to the appropriate section.

Moved into a new apartment and realized the light isn't too good. Average of 6 to 10 hours per day and sometimes, there won't be light for like 3 days on a stretch.

I do freelance, love watching movies, I have a small fridge which serves me cold water, I need fan to cushion the heat. This implies that I need a constant light and with the epileptic light situation around, I felt I needed to do something.

My first thought was to get a generator. Average 1kva generator cost 80- 100k. I will have to be buying fuel, buying oil and also servicing the generator regularly.

I almost bought a new generator from jumia during the black Friday sales until I heard the rumors that fuel will likely to be sold for 320/ litre in 2022, I had to abort the generator plan and seek for alternative.

Then the thought of inverter came in. To figure out the specific watt to purchase, I first analyze the power rating of all my electronics.

1 dc led TV - 12v 3A which equals 36watt,
1 gotv - 12v 1A which equals 12wat,
1 dc standing fan in living room of 12v 2A which equals 24watt,
My laptop of 18v 2.3A which equals 41.4 watt,
1 table top fridge of 45watt,
6 energy saving bulbs of 5w each in entire apartment (bedroom, living room, toilet, kitchen, corridors, which equals 30watt
Phone chargers of 5v 2A which equals 10w.
1 wall fan in the bedroom of 45w

When I summed all the power ratings, I arrived at 243.4 watt in total.

So with miscellaneous appliances like woofer and the likes. I concluded And settled for 500w inverter.

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by staga: 9:52pm On Nov 30, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

You can actually work out his cost and I doubt if he will incur up to N23K per month.

According to IKEDC,
With the revised tariff regime, Non-MD customers in Band A, with a minimum of 20 hours daily will now pay N51. 22/Kwh. Band B customers with minimum of 16 hours daily will be charged N46. 93/Kwh; while Band C customers with a minimum of 12 hours daily will be charged [b]N37.[/b]

https://www.ikejaelectric.com/notice-implementation-of-revised-service-reflective-tariff-by-ikeja-electric/

Let's assume he is a customer of IKEDC and I factor in the fact that that he already confirmed that he hardly gets light so we can assume he gets for less than 12hours so he pays N37.

His total load is less than 500watts but let's approximate it,

His daily energy use cost plus vat is :0.5kw×12hrsx N37 + 0.075 x 222(VAT)= N238.65

If he takes 31 days in a month ,then his energy cost is N7,398.15 per month not N23K ,then his payback time is 20months 2 weeks(1 year 8 months and 2 weeks).
If his battery and inverter packs up before then or power improves, he just bought a liability. There are some hidden costs like occasions when some of the devices may not function optimally on the alternative power source..
As regards renewable and reference to Germany, then you are not current. The world is still tied to fossil fuels at least for the next 25 years. Same Germany is investing heavily on gas pipeline from Russia to Germany and most of the wind turbines in UK did not function optimally during low wind speed for most part of this month.
I support renewable but we are yet to crack it as an economically viable alternative. OP did well but I would have factored in the payback time before investing in it.

Good stuff. I recently watched an expert analyze this on Bloomberg. Green energy only becomes viable if an economic activity is brought into the mix.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by officialfestus(m): 9:52pm On Nov 30, 2021
HEAVEN4444:
i got this setup already but without the solar panel. i just charge it with light when light comes. below is my setup. 200 amp hour battery
I don't think that your battery bank is up to 200AH
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lashout1: 9:55pm On Nov 30, 2021
Skillsnigeria:
That's good, you should have bought original battery brand and not gbm. But you can still manage it

Which brand will you advise?
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by staga: 9:56pm On Nov 30, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

Nice and commendable. Please kindly work out the payback time by dividing the N152k by your usual daily electricity cost. If you can do that calculation, you can then start counting if you got value from the investment or not. For example, if the battery and/or the inverter pack up before your payback time then it's not cost effective
As at now, it's too early to say if it's money well spent. I commend you greatly though.

If it can guarantee him electricity to get his freelance work done without missing deadlines and losing customers (which I have experienced in the past), then it is a perfect investment. This is one thing I am getting having lived in Ghana and Barbados. Constant electricity is a must to be able to generate enough economic activity to work and have a good living.

Nigerians do not know what they are losing by not having enough electricity and then having to depend on noisy, environmentally damaging generators.

5 Likes

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by ediko5(m): 10:08pm On Nov 30, 2021
Very informative thread.

I have a mobile inverter I use for my laptop which can also be used for led TV.

I was already budgeting around 120k next year for a generator but thanks to this thread. Make I kuku follow the thread for advice.

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by poiZon: 10:25pm On Nov 30, 2021
queenfav:
Quanta or exide.The latest Mpower indian battery is good too, one of 220ah.

How much is it?
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Gmekx(m): 10:33pm On Nov 30, 2021
lasthero:
Total cost:

Battery : 85k

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk cheesy

Good one

Bro, GBM batteries are around 30k.

85k could have gotten you a way better battery.

I like that you fixed everything yourself. Kudos
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Mustack: 11:26pm On Nov 30, 2021
lasthero:
I looked around online on jumia, jiji and konga for ranges of 500watt inverters and chargers. After a rigorous check and comparison, I settled for this (picture attached) for 35k.

It is a 2 -in-1 package.( Solar charger / controller + 800va - 500w inverter). So no need for a separate solar controller

Pls where did you get this 2 in 1 package
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Kakamorufu(m): 11:36pm On Nov 30, 2021
Niceone bro.
Imma follow suit when I get an apartment soon
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Skillsnigeria: 11:55pm On Nov 30, 2021
lashout1:

Which brand will you advise?
There many original battery brand, but they are more expensive than the fake ones, you can buy original quanta, ritar, full river and others original brand which I don't want to mention here, make he no be like say I dey advertise for them.

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by YOUNGELDER1(m): 11:55pm On Nov 30, 2021
Nice
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by sofiscatedmoron: 11:57pm On Nov 30, 2021
lasthero:
The next challenge is how to charge the battery.
I have two options, charge with light or with sun.

I thought about it. To charge with light, It will add to the consuming units. And also, the light isn't even stable. Here is sun on the other hand, completely free from baba God and it shines every single day.

I decided to opt for the green and free route, solar energy.

I bought the solar panel (150w mono) attached for 30k

Bro u need 600w solar panel to charge 180ah battery
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by ebullient19(f): 12:02am On Dec 01, 2021
Smart ass
lasthero:
Total cost:

Solar panel : 30k
Inverter : 35k

Total: 150,000 naira.

I bought wires 2k

Making 152,000.

My observations so far
It takes 5 to 8 hours of sunshine to charge the battery from 0 to 100% depending on the sunlight intensity.

And guess what guys. When all the house load are on it, it lasted me up to 8 hours to use up a single charge. But when I put of the fridge, the 45watt fan and when my laptop isn't in use, it takes more than 12 hours and that's exactly what I needed.

Burning 8 to 12 hours on petrol daily will send me back to my village.

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by aariwa(m): 12:10am On Dec 01, 2021
lasthero:
Mods, I don't know the right thread to post this. If romance section isn't the right thread, you can move it to the appropriate section.

Moved into a new apartment and realized the light isn't too good. Average of 6 to 10 hours per day and sometimes, there won't be light for like 3 days on a stretch.

I do freelance, love watching movies, I have a small fridge which serves me cold water, I need fan to cushion the heat. This implies that I need a constant light and with the epileptic light situation around, I felt I needed to do something.

My first thought was to get a generator. Average 1kva generator cost 80- 100k. I will have to be buying fuel, buying oil and also servicing the generator regularly.

I almost bought a new generator from jumia during the black Friday sales until I heard the rumors that fuel will likely to be sold for 320/ litre in 2022, I had to abort the generator plan and seek for alternative.

Then the thought of inverter came in. To figure out the specific watt to purchase, I first analyze the power rating of all my electronics.

1 dc led TV - 12v 3A which equals 36watt,
1 gotv - 12v 1A which equals 12wat,
1 dc standing fan in living room of 12v 2A which equals 24watt,
My laptop of 18v 2.3A which equals 41.4 watt,
1 table top fridge of 45watt,
6 energy saving bulbs of 5w each in entire apartment (bedroom, living room, toilet, kitchen, corridors, which equals 30watt
Phone chargers of 5v 2A which equals 10w.
1 wall fan in the bedroom of 45w

When I summed all the power ratings, I arrived at 243.4 watt in total.

So with miscellaneous appliances like woofer and the likes. I concluded And settled for 500w inverter.
Why are people still buying generator and waiting on NEPA instead of this option.I guess it will have to do with ignorance

3 Likes

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by vibratingpenis: 12:17am On Dec 01, 2021
lasthero:
Total cost:

Solar panel : 30k
Inverter : 35k

Total: 150,000 naira.

I bought wires 2k

Making 152,000.

My observations so far
It takes 5 to 8 hours of sunshine to charge the battery from 0 to 100% depending on the sunlight intensity.

And guess what guys. When all the house load are on it, it lasted me up to 8 hours to use up a single charge. But when I put of the fridge, the 45watt fan and when my laptop isn't in use, it takes more than 12 hours and that's exactly what I needed.

Burning 8 to 12 hours on petrol daily will send me back to my village.

Your battery is rated at 180AH right?
Meaning that it will give you 180 Amps in 1 hour.
Let me run through your load details again.

Led tv 3A

Gotv 1A

Dc standing fan 2A

Laptop 2.3A

Table fridge is 45w; 45 watts /230 volts = 0.2A ( am trying to come to terms with how an electric motor will have such low amperage knowing fully well that when electric motors start they draw current that is 10x their rated amperage but let me continue with the information you provided.)

6 energy saving bulbs of 5w; one bulb will be 5/6 = 0.3 watts, current of one will be 0.3/230= 3.6mA and for six is 21.7mA

Phone charger is 2A

Wall fan seems to have same motor as your fridge having a current of 0.2A

So summing all the loads, remember i didn't add your home theatre and other ones you omitted we will have a total load of 10.7A.

Since your battery is 180AH
The battery should feed 10.7A for 180/10.7 = 16.8 hours
How manage you get only the 8 and 12 hours?

3 Likes

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Hotspotbro(m): 12:31am On Dec 01, 2021
Wow, I'd like to do this at my humble abode in Uni..their light never good even here at my parents house sef....
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by vibratingpenis: 12:36am On Dec 01, 2021
litaninja:
Great start. Since DIY is up your alley, where you really want to go is the link below.

https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta

Tons of info, assistance, tips and by the time you're ready to expand the setup you'd be better prepped. Nice one.

I checked your thread,
Which kind of calculation is this, multiplying 84Ah x 12v and the answer being in Ah instead of Wh?
You now used 70 which may be in amperes to divide 1008ah to get 14 hours.

Check your calculations as it is wrong especially the units.

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Ericdeezy: 12:46am On Dec 01, 2021
nedekid:

Pls how much is the mppt?

Generally, Maximum power point tracking (MPPT) charge controllers are more expensive than their Pulse width modulation (PWM) counterparts, but the prices differ depending on the brand of the charge controller and the ampere rating. A 50A MPPT charge controller will cost more than a 20A charge controller, and a German-made brand will cost more than a Chinese-made brand of the same rating.

You can search for it on the internet, and there are lots of them on Jiji for sale as well.

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by vibratingpenis: 12:48am On Dec 01, 2021
uuzba:

Well, since you are the one that did the installation and not the electrical guy, you must make sure you follow the basic rule of electronics. And that is, to make sure ALL THE CONNECTIONS ARE VERY TIGHT.
Nothing destroys electronics more than a lose wire that is just lose enough to allow an electric arc/spark to keep jumping across wires. That spark is called Plasma. It is neither a solid, liquid or gas. But it is as hot at 10,000 C. A tiny thing will burn and melt wires and create bigger sparks and more heat till the whole connection will burn.
I hope there's a point for Nepa to charge the inverter and batteries as well. Because you'd be surprised that you won't always get 8 hrs of Sun, Mon - Fri, January - December in this Nigeria.

That arc is not plasma as it is not hot enough to be associated as so, those arcs are the air molecules between the gaps being ionised as a result of strong and high potential gradient forming between the potentials. Go read about plasma again, simply it is a hot soup or stew of ionised fluid and you know that fluid can either be liquid or gas.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by vibratingpenis: 12:48am On Dec 01, 2021
Fapemz:
A lot more people are embracing alternative source of power and as it is worth every penny. I always recommend Lithium battery for portability and longetivity, i assembled LiFePo4 battery for inverter and Laptop use as external battery. Presently we have 3 size capacities 300wh, 480wh and 1260wh and they have been making the difference for our clients. We are reachable on 080653..16307 www.cooldipo.com

How can you be rating batteries in wh instead of the traditional Ah and voltage so that the customers can do the maths themselves or you want to confuse them?

2 Likes

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by vibratingpenis: 12:53am On Dec 01, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Nice one bro.

A single usage must not be lower than 70% of your battery if you want it to last. Well, it depends on your battery as some can still take 60% to 65%. If you keep using your battery below the level specified on your battery, it will kill it fast.

So, every night you use it, make sure it doesnt go below the recommended level which is always btw 60% - 70% of the battery.

Goodluck bro!

What is the use of the deep cycle if it can't endure up to 50% discharge cycle or is the market flooded with some substandard cells of battery?
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Nobody: 12:58am On Dec 01, 2021
vibratingpenis:

What is the use of the deep cycle if it can't endure up to 50% discharge cycle or is the market flooded with some substandard cells of battery?
All batteries are mostly like that. 50% is what Nogerians will tell you, but the best battery stays longer with 70%. Whether you believe it or not. If you have good solar panels, you can easily charge it within 2 hours amd have enough batteries which will not even go below 90% plus two days extra battery providion. But in Nigeria, you always want to overwork everything. Why would you even want to drain your battery to 50%? For what reason? When you can expand and drain it to 95% after each use....I dont get it. You better learn how to configure solar connection well and not overload it. Na only in naija I see these kinds of useless low cost budget arrangements which kills battery faster, and tames forever to charge.

Deep cycle or no deep cycle, 70% is the standard. If you want to contest it, go and fight manufacturers and not me.

Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by vibratingpenis: 12:59am On Dec 01, 2021
airsaylongcome:

I just did a solar setup yesterday and I have been evaluating. It's nice to see the inverter start charging from 7am until 6pm. If you want a contact I can share my solar guy's contact for you to get a quote

Nawa for you, why you no create a thread for this your solar guy instead of this nonsense that you are doing. Na like this like this another person go do you kwa.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by vibratingpenis: 1:04am On Dec 01, 2021
jerobua:
Nice one, I commend your effort being your first DIY installation, You saved some cost but it will only be for a short while. As time goes on when you broaden your knowledge on Solar inverter electricity, you will be able to correct certain things..... I will highlight a little for you to research on
Firstly, your Solar inverter is mostly likely not a pure sine inverter and that's why it is cheap, it might even be a square wave form inverter which could damage your electronics in the long run.
A single Mono panel (180watts) won't be able to able to charge your GBM 180Ah battery sufficiently on a daily basis, this will affect the life of your battery
You could have waited a little while to buy a quality battery that hasn't stayed more than 6months, RITAR, GENUS, ADDO, QUANTA. but also know that battery purchase is also luck, it's 50/50 no matter the place or warranty given
For your GBM battery to last longer, you need to charge with a smart charger
Lastly, during raining season, you won't have enough sun, you still need a back up generator
I wish you all the best
For more secrets of solar system that no engineers will give you for free, you can e-mail me jerryighodalo@gmail.com.

If the inverter is square wave, does he feed the AC direct to the appliance raw, doesn't the appliances use AC-DC rectifying chargers that will convert the undulating waveform to Direct current/voltage that feeds the so called appliances which in that case it is economical he used his inverter like that.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Ajibam: 1:26am On Dec 01, 2021
HEAVEN4444:
alright bro first of all let me tell you this setup has its limitations. its an energy storing setup and you can only store so much energy unless you want to go crazy and buy 100 batteries and link them all up. do you have space for 100 batteries ? and do you have the money for 100 batteries ? each battery is like 90k. and so as you can see ? you can only store so much energy with this setup and as such this setup is meant for minimalist living meaning someone who wants electricity to run for 24 hours so that they can power their laptop and lights and fans even when nepa has strike again. its advisable to only power these low power items with this setup. trying to power an ac with this unit will destroy the battery quickly. and so now that i have explained the limitations here is what you do. got the most powerful battery deep cycle which i believe is 200ah. then buy an inverter. i have a 500 watts inverter. connect them together positive to positive, negative to negative. then connect the battery to the mains and your appliances to the inverter. and thats it. 24 7 electricity forever assuming nepa does not take your light for more than 2 days at a time ( if nepa takes it for more than 2 days all the juice in this setup will be drained unless you buy more batteries and connect it parralel ). and if light comes back your unit starts charging again and when it goes your unit takes over powering your gadgets without missing a beat. and you can be like OP and introduce solar panels to the unit. monocrystalline ones in which case when they take light for more than 2 days you are not affected. everything you get from konga.com is where i got mine from in 2019

Thank you so much man

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by frankfab(m): 3:13am On Dec 01, 2021
Impressive!
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Viking007(m): 4:00am On Dec 01, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

Nice and commendable. Please kindly work out the payback time by dividing the N152k by your usual daily electricity cost. If you can do that calculation, you can then start counting if you got value from the investment or not. For example, if the battery and/or the inverter pack up before your payback time then it's not cost effective
As at now, it's too early to say if it's money well spent. I commend you greatly though.
I’ve been using my solar inverter since 2017 and I can tell you for free it is the best investment I’ve EVER made. I literally had to sell my generator because it became useless. Nigerians don’t know the massive economic value of having constant power supply.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Viking007(m): 4:08am On Dec 01, 2021
aariwa:
Why are people still buying generator and waiting on NEPA instead of this option.I guess it will have to do with ignorance
Definitely ignorance.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Enosa1(m): 4:16am On Dec 01, 2021
The op really tried for someone that's not a professional in the field. But his choice of battery product is wrong...Let a professional handle your Solar and Inverter installation. Contact us today

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

Inside Abeokuta Hill-top Estate Where The Super Rich Live / Aluminium Profile, Glass And Accessories For Doors And Windows And Glass House / Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.