Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,189 members, 7,811,485 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:52 PM

How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) (63902 Views)

Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment / My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled / Please Help. My Apartment Is Being Haunted By A Ghost. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Godstime234: 8:02pm On Nov 30, 2021
Nice one

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Rick9(m): 8:08pm On Nov 30, 2021
Truly inspiring if you ask me.

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Daddi: 8:10pm On Nov 30, 2021
lasthero:
The next challenge is how to charge the battery.
I have two options, charge with light or with sun.

I thought about it. To charge with light, It will add to the consuming units. And also, the light isn't even stable. Here is sun on the other hand, completely free from baba God and it shines every single day.

I decided to opt for the green and free route, solar energy.

I bought the solar panel (150w mono) attached for 30k

Generator can charge the solar system, right?
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by MrJavaS: 8:15pm On Nov 30, 2021
lasthero:
Total cost:

Battery : 85k
Solar panel : 30k
Inverter : 35k

Total: 150,000 naira.

I bought wires 2k

Making 152,000.

My observations so far
It takes 5 to 8 hours of sunshine to charge the battery from 0 to 100% depending on the sunlight intensity.

And guess what guys. When all the house load are on it, it lasted me up to 8 hours to use up a single charge. But when I put of the fridge, the 45watt fan and when my laptop isn't in use, it takes more than 12 hours and that's exactly what I needed.

Burning 8 to 12 hours on petrol daily will send me back to my village.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk cheesy
Smart guy. I usually code and to be honest epileptic power supply is actually ruining my chances of being a good programmer

3 Likes

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by IFFYBOSS(m): 8:21pm On Nov 30, 2021
@ Lasthero bro l really admire this your initiative oo, and l for like connect with you personally make l run am for my own place honestly wa lie, it's making sense o, pls reply oo seriously interested.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by kponkedenge(m): 8:23pm On Nov 30, 2021
Dropping a message here so I can remember what to buy when I'm ready.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by kponkedenge(m): 8:24pm On Nov 30, 2021
lasthero:

BTS store at surulere.

They have store on jiji and jumia too.

Oh that's good.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Guyman02: 8:31pm On Nov 30, 2021
ofor1:
Impressive and insightful. I will visit this thread when I'm ready.
Revisit you meant?

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Emmerlee(m): 8:32pm On Nov 30, 2021
This is a sweet thread. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it smiley
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by jerobua: 8:32pm On Nov 30, 2021
Nice one, I commend your effort being your first DIY installation, You saved some cost but it will only be for a short while. As time goes on when you broaden your knowledge on Solar inverter electricity, you will be able to correct certain things..... I will highlight a little for you to research on
Firstly, your Solar inverter is mostly likely not a pure sine inverter and that's why it is cheap, it might even be a square wave form inverter which could damage your electronics in the long run.
A single Mono panel (180watts) won't be able to able to charge your GBM 180Ah battery sufficiently on a daily basis, this will affect the life of your battery
You could have waited a little while to buy a quality battery that hasn't stayed more than 6months, RITAR, GENUS, ADDO, QUANTA. but also know that battery purchase is also luck, it's 50/50 no matter the place or warranty given
For your GBM battery to last longer, you need to charge with a smart charger
Lastly, during raining season, you won't have enough sun, you still need a back up generator
I wish you all the best
For more secrets of solar system that no engineers will give you for free, you can e-mail me jerryighodalo@gmail.com.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 8:35pm On Nov 30, 2021
Bantu10:

Can I get these things u listed in a place like abuja?

I think you should
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 8:40pm On Nov 30, 2021
Abumilla:

Did you also get the battery online

Yes
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by TheOgaBoss: 8:42pm On Nov 30, 2021
airsaylongcome:

I already had batteries. But yeah I checked out the current pricing for batteries and I nearly fainted.

Just out of curiosity, what do people do with the aged batteries when they offer a buyback option for your old batteries?
there are companies that buy them for recycling .
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by PeaceNation: 8:46pm On Nov 30, 2021
I think I will need to follow ur step too.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Onyeka90210(m): 8:47pm On Nov 30, 2021
remi1444:
must have been some Thor Hammer kinda voltage. Lol.
Haha, nah, light was pretty normal, and I was using a fused ups, just guess it was from the laptop.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 8:50pm On Nov 30, 2021
pat077:
is it possible to charge the battery with generator using the inverter incase there is no enough sunlight

Yeah, you will have to buy charger. It cost 10-15k
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 8:51pm On Nov 30, 2021
KingLarry04:
If I were you boss, I'll disconnect nepa light sharp sharp.. sun do me

And pls, can it be used without battery?

No. You will need battery
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 8:56pm On Nov 30, 2021
Lordswazz:

@Op, how do you know when your battery is 100% full when charging? Is there a LED indicator somewhere that shows the battery percentage?

The inverter has battery level indicator
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 9:01pm On Nov 30, 2021
gulfer:
@Op, where did you hang the solar panels

On the roof
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by airsaylongcome: 9:02pm On Nov 30, 2021
TheOgaBoss:
there are companies that buy them for recycling .

I know. My question was more about how they recycle them. Are they reconditioned and sold as new batteries?
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by FuckDModz: 9:03pm On Nov 30, 2021
twosquare:
lol...care to explain or prove this?

When it comes to solar and inverter combo, go big or stick to just NEPA+inverter+high capacity batteries. That's if you plan to enjoy it.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 9:03pm On Nov 30, 2021
Godisgreatest1:
Hello, please can you put the system on charge and go out to work? What happens if the battery over charge?. Finally, is it safe to use the system while charging?

Most solar chargers are smart to prevent overcharging
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by airsaylongcome: 9:04pm On Nov 30, 2021
mustaphagreens:

How much did you get the 300W mono? Where can I get one, cheaply? I live in lagos.

I don't know if it was cheap but I paid ₦75k for one. And it was supplied by a friend
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 9:05pm On Nov 30, 2021
captainamiedi1:

can i get contact or link of where u bought inverter and battery?
From jiji. I posted the links on page 2.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 9:07pm On Nov 30, 2021
studio14:
pls help me with the the number of the dealer

I got it online on jiji. I posted the links on page 2
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 9:12pm On Nov 30, 2021
seguno2:

But you can put on your fridge during the day without any issues, right

Yes.

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by lasthero: 9:13pm On Nov 30, 2021
Daddi:

Generator can charge the solar system, right?

Yes. There are chargers for it

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by keeper303: 9:19pm On Nov 30, 2021
This is very educative. I will try this setup next year.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Nobody: 9:19pm On Nov 30, 2021
emmyN:

What did it cost you to set this up?

About 3/4 of a mil.

1 Like

Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Nobody: 9:24pm On Nov 30, 2021
lakefist:

Get solar freezer and stay worry free

Good option. You refer to DC freezer.
It's such a good option.
I'll have to work on installing DC output to then.
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by castrokins(m): 9:28pm On Nov 30, 2021
Nice
Re: How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 30, 2021
Lordswazz:

Please do you have an idea how someone can know the battery charge level for a solar system like this?

So, if there's a means of knowing the estimated charge level that you can share, it would be helpful. Thanks!

The inverter has a basic digital screen and shows me stats about battery level as well as the load on the unit.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

Inside Abeokuta Hill-top Estate Where The Super Rich Live / Aluminium Profile, Glass And Accessories For Doors And Windows And Glass House / Photos: First Storey Building In Nigeria, Now Aged 170 Years Old

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.