Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,309 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? (33446 Views)

10 Different Types Of Women You Will Likely Meet This Xmas At Your Village / UN Tasks Nigeria On Stigmatisation Of ‘boko Haram Wives, Children’ / Nigerian Women Who Made History In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by riverbird: 12:39pm On Nov 29, 2021
Am very sure this op is a smoker
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by afam007: 12:39pm On Nov 29, 2021
Well women who indulge in smoking or seen smoking will always be classified as wareward,useless,suspicious,aggressive, careless,irresponsible and any other word that will be suitable to describe such set of womanhood such act is highly prohibited for women with great ambition.
So desist from such act if you are about indulge in it.

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 29, 2021
LOL

You’re wasting your time with this topic on a black site. Black people don’t think properly, especially the men. Imagine someone believing utterly that I’m a bad person because I smoke, I consider such a person brain dead, bereft of common sense.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Sharatan(m): 12:42pm On Nov 29, 2021
Women who smoke(weed/sk) are the best sex mates. They can bang you like there's no tomorrow. No position is a stress and no freaky freaky is disgusting. I love them

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Johel(m): 12:42pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:
I'm as very light smoker- at most, three to four cigarettes a week...

I'm very young, and I started smoking two years ago...

In our society, if a woman is known to be a smoker... She's looked down on... And false assumptions are made of her personality...

Why the stigmatisation? I know men are victims too but women who smoke are viewed as classless etc... While with men, it's simply a bad habit...

What's your opinion on women who smoke? And what's your reason?

I would appreciate comments based on experiences rather than bias...

And I need valid points how SMOKING directly indicates a wayward woman...

Thanks!

Only ignorant ones stigmatise
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by TheWolfen(m): 12:42pm On Nov 29, 2021
It a free world.
But if a woman like to get married then she need not smoke...
Smoking doesn't only affect women it also affect their babies
So anything that affect women affect the world as women are the ones with the sole responsibility of carry a baby in their womb.
Most men won't marry a woman that smokes for many reasons

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by ucheuzor1(m): 12:43pm On Nov 29, 2021
I kinda feel attracted to a girl that smokes, but deep down, it kinda depicts irresponsibility. Personally, I can't marry a lady that smokes.

5 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Pious101: 12:44pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:
Like I clearly stated... No cultural bias... I don't need your, "women should be this or that" lectures!

A woman who smokes, how does she not value herself?

As for her image, that's the point of this post... Why smoking damages the image of a woman and not a man! Can you answer this?

And the only drawback to smoking is it's impact on one's health... But do you care that men smoke more? Are you concerned about their health also? Plus, there are a million bad habits...that could kill faster... undecided
d reason why u re defending smokers is because u re one ...I really don't see what's so pretty about smoking that would make one to indulge in smoking whether a man or a woman.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by PrettyBoyBreezy(m): 12:44pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:
I sincerely wish derailers on Nairaland would drop dead! You're trying to ruin my thread! undecided

Talking about derailers is still derailing nd your drop dead wish will still affect you grin
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by profmallor: 12:48pm On Nov 29, 2021
I have absolutely no bias to the gender of a smoker. My issue is with smoking itself and perhaps the perceived status of the smoker. I foreigner smoking around in Nigeria is OK, we perceive it has their culture, be it male or female. Seemingly well to do Black people are likewise not looked down upon when they smoke, there is the air of, oh! they must be used to living abroad.

However, if you don't look so comfortable yet smoke, people easily categorize you as irresponsible and perhaps a weed smoker as well. Lol. So apart from the health risk of smoking, if you must smoke, at least in Nigeria, try to have some money if you are bothered about been castigated.

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Ten06(m): 12:48pm On Nov 29, 2021
I smoked for more than 20 years before I stopped.
I don't know you, but let me tell you the truth and nothing but the truth, you will regret ever being a smoker if you smoke more than 5years.

The damage cigarettes will do to your system will take you time and money to restore your health.

In my case I was lucky that I'm a beneficiary of free medical care being sponsored by my office.

Please, stop smoking now if not you will regret it

7 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by etikaamos(m): 12:48pm On Nov 29, 2021
Waywardness isn't as a result of cigarette been smoked, the only bad thing about smoking is just the hazard it cause it cause to the health. My opinion is do whatever you're comfortable with, people always have something to say. But if you can stop it's better cause it bad to your health.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by InvertedHammer: 12:49pm On Nov 29, 2021
Pious101:
d reason why u re defending smokers is because u re one ...I really don't see what's so pretty about smoking that would make one to indulge in smoking whether a man or a woman.
/

Everyone finds reasons to justify bad decisions in life.

/
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Jamesbiodun(m): 12:49pm On Nov 29, 2021
4 cigarettes a week cheesy damn you ain't smoking at all, abeg just got for WEED , I hate cigarette...
I like women who smoke with sense likewise men too... Just do what gives you joy but don't abuse it, if one stick is okay for you take it, eat a good food and have a nice sleep... tongue
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Ahasco(m): 12:50pm On Nov 29, 2021
who are those stigmatizing them? Let me know will surely do justice to it.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by spiceadole: 12:50pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:

In our society, if a woman is known to be a smoker... She's looked down on... And false assumptions are made of her personality...

Why the stigmatisation? I know men are victims too but women who smoke are viewed as classless etc... While with men, it's simply a bad habit...

Thanks!

Not just in smoking, Generally the African society judges women differently from men.

It's bad if a woman drinks alcohol or smokes but it's fair or not so bad if a man does same.
It's shameful if a woman is unmarried.
And if a couple is trying to conceive, it's the woman's fault and problem.

Live your life.
Society is not friendly to women.
If you like to smoke, Smoke.
Anything you see, you take(Healthwise).

I am a woman.. my spouse doesn't smoke.
It's a deal breaker.
I cannot be with a smoker or drunkard.
I can tolerate alcohol in moderation.
Never smoking!

2 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by spiceadole: 12:53pm On Nov 29, 2021
profmallor:
I have absolutely no bias to the gender of a smoker. My issue is with smoking itself and perhaps the perceived status of the smoker. I foreigner smoking around in Nigeria is OK, we perceive it has their culture, be it male or female. Seemingly well to do Black people are likewise not looked down upon when they smoke, there is the air of, oh! they must be used to living abroad.

However, if you don't look so comfortable yet smoke, people easily categorize you as irresponsible and perhaps a weed smoker as well. Lol. So apart from the health risk of smoking, if you must smoke, at least in Nigeria, try to have some money if you are bothered about been castigated.

True that.. my cousin who works in Schlumberger is a chain smoker but dude is respected and is described as a responsible son .. because he is swimming in money.
Meanwhile, his younger brother who does same, at even a lesser rate is the picture of uselessness, irresponsibility and criminality.. because he is broke.

5 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Paddybaci: 12:56pm On Nov 29, 2021
For me i will say you do anything that gives you peace. 4ck wat people will say.
the society is so gullible, people will come here to tell u the health effect of smoking but will brag how they finish a crate of beer. smoking is bad and alcohol is bad too but people can drink alcohol even in church ceremonies but will be first to judge a smoker. I will advise you do it wit caution so it does not become a habit. better still switch from cigarette to God given green leaf.
I have seen American rappers carrying their kids wit one hand n blunt the other hand.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 29, 2021
NaijirianKing:
Woman have a role to play, the better they play their role the better their outcomes. You have the rules made plain, it is your choice on what consequences you will get. A smoking female is clearly low value, this is how men see it. The same way a broke man is not desired, since a man should be able to support himself at the minimum. We don't make the rules, we just try to win the game.

Or you can choose not to play and lose by default. E no concern me. In fact, you should smoke, drink, fornicate, and have bastard out of wedlock children, and then wait for your prince charming to find you, since you are special and the rules don't apply to you. In fact, you are probably already a baby mama, continue... madam feminist... female is future hahahahaha. This is why your gender keeps losing. You guys don't understand the basics.

Lmao! Please go and tell the female CEOs, Tech Millionaires, female workers hanging around their workplaces smoking on a smoke break every afternoon in America that they are low value from your couch in Egbeda, some can use their money to colonize your village. Local man. grin grin

Only black men see a woman smoking and consider her low value. not in sane nations, where evolved human beings reside. If I asked you why? You cannot give me any reasonable explanation like a logical human being.
You have no explanation as to to how she is low value, no real reason because you have no brain to reason. That’s why your societies are the worst in the world . Who gives a Bleep about what the poorest, dumbest men in the world think? You’re literally at the bottom of the food chain. You don’t even know how your country works, when serious world issues arise. You won’t be found, when it comes to policing women on what they can or cannot do NIGERIAN MEN WILL JUMP UP. White men feed you and solve world problem while you sling your dick around in Africa pretending to be a man.
No reason, 1 you cannot give, Just the innate selfishness of a black man who cannot live his life and let others live.

Your gender dies usually first while while mine inherit all you worked for, who is real loser here? Mumu

3 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by CaptainFM1: 12:56pm On Nov 29, 2021
Bigredmachine:
I just embarrass myself now...

Nkechi told me she was coming yesterday to stay with me till Sunday, after preparing for her cuming... She ended up not showing up, I called her but her phone was off, till now her phone is still off...

Wetin I go do that girl if I see am ennnn

I had already bought exhibit before that night, I forgot I kept 2 in my back pocket, so this morning I say let me rush down to the bank and do some transaction... Just to try and bring out my wallet, those 2 exhibit fell out to the full glare of the people in the bank...

Which kind embarrassment be this for me this morning... Na for this reason I go beat Nk die

Never mind. You are not alone. It's essential commodity. I can bet you, atleast 10persons have same exhibit in that bank.

Make I tell you my own na....

I don't know where I go get this scratch on my balls. So I decided to see a pharmacist across my house. On getting there, I met Funke...one babe I've been disturbing on the queue. I get my guy I normally talk to at the counter whom I was waiting for to finish with a customer.

As the woman owns the pharmarcy saw me standing, she approached to attend to me, but I declined that Jude is already attending to me.
Next thing I hear from Funke was....They want to discuss men matter....maybe Gonorrhea or Staphylococcus. I feel like slapping her but I calm.

So when Jude finished now, we come enter inner room for him to observe and recommend drugs for me. You will not believe that this mad Funke girl was lurking around and peeping to see me pulling down the pants.

When I come out.....she said, "I said it"
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Saverin: 12:57pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:

Thanks!

The real question is: why are you smoking?

2 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Kokaine(m): 12:58pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:
Nice contribution! Why can't you marry a woman who smokes tho?

You vibe well with women who do... I think it's because you want a solid image... But it women who smoke weren't stigmatised, then there would be no need for this... undecided

Another issue is that a white woman smoking is more tolerated in black communities than black women who smoke.

Assume you're engaged to a Dutch lady, and she's a light smoker... Is she also disqualified?

I'm just trying to see things from the perspective of a man... smiley

I don't smoke. And in the north, women who smoke are seen as sex workers. Men who smoke are seen as daniskas, youths who smoke are seen as endabbas. So anyone who smokes is likely going to do so in hiding. Because the stigmatization from society will make her depressed. If she's actually a proustite, she won't care, but if she's not, then its not a walk in the park to be extradited in a communal society.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by ShedrachU(m): 1:01pm On Nov 29, 2021
Stigmatization or no stigmatization, your lungs are in trouble.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by 175(m): 1:05pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:
I sincerely wish derailers on Nairaland would drop dead! You're trying to ruin my thread! undecided

Drop dead just because he derailed your thread??

Nawa ooo. .....witch just full every where nowwq
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by optm(m): 1:06pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:
Thanks! I remember a day I spent with a boy... He's in his twenties...

He was extremely nice, tried to flirt... But he was shy...

One thing led to another, we ended up in his friend's home smoking cigarettes and Arizona...

We vibed really well... Only, he assumed I was in a cult!

Thought I was a bad girl... Started speaking street slangs... I couldn't even understand him!

Like, I enjoy smoking... Doesn't mean I'm wayward... It's simply pleasurable... And if I'm with someone who doesn't smoke, I don't...

I really like you! Honestly...
what is your definition of waywardness?
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Oblongata: 1:07pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:

Thanks!
Our society is messed up!

Now that we got that aside, I have this tingling attraction for ladies who smoke! I smoke sometimes and I don't give a hoot whose ox is gored! None of this society people will come to your aid if you ever needed help, so why should I care about them? Abeg make dem shift. My dear, live life the best way you can. Even an hypochondriac would still end up dying.

4 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Wrecxman(m): 1:18pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:

Thanks!

First question: Smoke what? smiley

I personally stay far away from cigarettes (makes my head light and tastes like shit - no offense) but I do not have a problem with anyone who smokes it, male or female. Indica is the way to go smiley (topic for another day).

Majority (if not all) of those who condemn African women that smoke or drink would not say a word to a Caucasian woman who does the same (hypocrisy?). Heck, I have met accomplished women who smoke and drink and would stand toe to toe with the men in their respective fields.

Can those who tie waywardness to burning tobacco give us any scientific evidence to prove this?
If not, let these women be (what is sauce for the goose is also sauce for the gander)

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Gojas: 1:19pm On Nov 29, 2021
Dem Dy Sabi Bleep
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by SilvanusII(m): 1:20pm On Nov 29, 2021
Nne, the fact that you are a woman puts you at a moral disadvantage. There's NOTHING you can do on this earth that will make you good enough for the myriad of standards that they will impose on you. Do you dear
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Newyorkitis(m): 1:21pm On Nov 29, 2021
Why must she smoke in the first place? �
Since we all agree that when we educate the girl child, we educate a nation, it then follows that a woman/wife who smokes will generally influence her children due to her profound influence over her children.

In addition, i can't imagine cigarette ash inside my semovita or tea from the kitchen.

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by jericco1(m): 1:23pm On Nov 29, 2021
The truth of the matter is ladies that smoke are only see as tool for fun and relaxation, anything else is a mirage. If you're a woman better try to stop smoking o

You can never compare the lifestyle of a man to that of a lady.

A woman can easily marry a smoker for a man marry a smoker? That's story for another day.
Bye

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by GerogeI(m): 1:24pm On Nov 29, 2021
I want to add a few more things to some people who think smoking means western emancipation.

In a lot of western nations smoking is prohibited in common spaces which you share with other people because of the issue of secondary smoke inhalation. Advertisement of cigarettes are outrightly banned in a lot of European countries and cigarette packages are mandated by law to be disfigured with mortifying warnings. No longer the era of cool adverts of Benson and Hedges with colourful sports cars.

So hearing people here go "In America, in UK.... blah blah" simply points to ignorant folks who have not left Nigeria and think smokers are merely ignored to live as they please over there.

You can only smoke in your private room or a designated smoking room or outdoors away from people in most of the western world. Being a smoker immediately mark's you are someone with at best poor health habits, and more like as poor health
Smoking in the USA will definitely affect how much your health insurance will cost you, you can call that legal discrimination. So it's not harmless or just left to be.

Off all gender issues were we must strive and treat men and women equally, smoking is not worth a second to waste.

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Misconstrue And Misconception Of "Aluta" By Nigerian Students / Strayed Cow Unleashed In Ketu This Morning (photos) / Nairalander Kills A Long Black Snake (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.