Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,318 members, 7,815,607 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? (33471 Views)

10 Different Types Of Women You Will Likely Meet This Xmas At Your Village / UN Tasks Nigeria On Stigmatisation Of ‘boko Haram Wives, Children’ / Nigerian Women Who Made History In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by BIGBANNNG411: 1:25pm On Nov 29, 2021
As

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by OnWebTech: 1:25pm On Nov 29, 2021
Bobmarie:
Lmao! Please go and tell the female CEOs, Tech Millionaires, female workers hanging around their workplaces smoking on a smoke break every afternoon in America that they are low value from your couch in Egbeda, some can use their money to colonize your village. Local man. grin grin

Only black men see a woman smoking and consider her low value. not in sane nations, where evolved human beings reside. If I asked you why? You cannot give me any reasonable explanation like a logical human being.
You have no explanation as to to how she is low value, no real reason because you have no brain to reason. That’s why your societies are the worst in the world . Who gives a Bleep about what the poorest, dumbest men in the world think? You’re literally at the bottom of the food chain. You don’t even know how your country works, when serious world issues arise. You won’t be found, when it comes to policing women on what they can or cannot do NIGERIAN MEN WILL JUMP UP. White men feed you and solve world problem while you sling your dick around in Africa pretending to be a man.
No reason, 1 you cannot give, Just the innate selfishness of a black man who cannot live his life and let others live.

Your gender dies usually first while while mine inherit all you worked for, who is real loser here? Mumu

People are really Myopic in Nigeria. very myopic

2 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Speaklove: 1:35pm On Nov 29, 2021
Hmm.
I've been searching for what to say but I'm lost of words.

I'm like eh ! Eh! Eh !
God have to do serious operation on each and everyone of us .

It's happening gradually the unacceptable is gradually becoming norm in the name of liberality and westernization and enlightenment.

Ah !
We need help
I need help !
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by efighter: 1:40pm On Nov 29, 2021
I smoke like 5 sticks per day. I can never marry a smoking bittch. I dey craze ni? Olosho, Asewo, Ole, Ole.

I beg you, go and stop it. The fact that I am doing something bad does not mean that I should encourage others to do the same. Everybody knows that smoking kills.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by efighter: 1:44pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:
I sincerely wish derailers on Nairaland would drop dead! You're trying to ruin my thread! undecided

Staments of a very responsible smoking lady. I pity myself and you, because we are both playing with death.

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by tctrills: 1:51pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:
I'm as very light smoker- at most, three to four cigarettes a week...

I'm very young, and I started smoking two years ago...

In our society, if a woman is known to be a smoker... She's looked down on... And false assumptions are made of her personality...

Why the stigmatisation? I know men are victims too but women who smoke are viewed as classless etc... While with men, it's simply a bad habit...

What's your opinion on women who smoke? And what's your reason?

I would appreciate comments based on experiences rather than bias...

And I need valid points how SMOKING directly indicates a wayward woman...

Thanks!
First, no one would arrest a woman for smoking. You have your rights to do anyhow. But you also shouldn't question people whow want their women to be healthy and clean.
So because we care so much about our women's health you are feeling offended.
I don't get it, is it every bad thing men do that you also want to be doing?
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 29, 2021
DM pls Dm me lets get married & shame the haters.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by tctrills: 1:56pm On Nov 29, 2021
Bobmarie:
Lmao! Please go and tell the female CEOs, Tech Millionaires, female workers hanging around their workplaces smoking on a smoke break every afternoon in America that they are low value from your couch in Egbeda, some can use their money to colonize your village. Local man. grin grin

Only black men see a woman smoking and consider her low value. not in sane nations, where evolved human beings reside. If I asked you why? You cannot give me any reasonable explanation like a logical human being.
You have no explanation as to to how she is low value, no real reason because you have no brain to reason. That’s why your societies are the worst in the world . Who gives a Bleep about what the poorest, dumbest men in the world think? You’re literally at the bottom of the food chain. You don’t even know how your country works, when serious world issues arise. You won’t be found, when it comes to policing women on what they can or cannot do NIGERIAN MEN WILL JUMP UP. White men feed you and solve world problem while you sling your dick around in Africa pretending to be a man.
No reason, 1 you cannot give, Just the innate selfishness of a black man who cannot live his life and let others live.

Your gender dies usually first while while mine inherit all you worked for, who is real loser here? Mumu

Almost everything you said is true but then you forget that in Nigeria, most of the women we see smoking are prostitutes on the streets.
Maybe is we begin to see more female CEOs or professors or bussiness owners smoking we might begin to encourage our women to smoke but for now, we don't want them taking after the prostitutes.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Belawy(m): 1:56pm On Nov 29, 2021
What else do you want to hear. The reason is clearly written on the cartoon of the ciggratte, open your eyes and see clearly.Whatever gender you are, smoking is a social vice-take it or leave.
Datboredberry:
Like I clearly stated... No cultural bias... I don't need your, "women should be this or that" lectures!

A woman who smokes, how does she not value herself?

As for her image, that's the point of this post... Why smoking damages the image of a woman and not a man! Can you answer this?

And the only drawback to smoking is it's impact on one's health... But do you care that men smoke more? Are you concerned about their health also? Plus, there are a million bad habits...that could kill faster... undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Omoluabiii(m): 2:02pm On Nov 29, 2021
Smoking itself is bad,, whomever indulge in it is heading towards the rock.

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Nipplegodfather: 2:08pm On Nov 29, 2021
Personally for me,I vibe with ladies who smoke the most,because with and around them,they are real n not hypocrites.
Society sees them as wayward because we love judging ppl from afar.sure,we still have d bad ones but its always wrong to generalize.most ladies who smoke have a decent person wen u get close enof to 'em..and yes,I won't mind marrying a light smoker and that's cause of the kids wen they start coming.....smoking no b sin,just smoke with swag n keep a good hygiene, n we good

2 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Goldentulip2: 2:10pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:

In our society, if a woman is known to be a smoker... She's looked down on... And false assumptions are made of her personality...

Why the stigmatisation? I know men are victims too but women who smoke are viewed as classless etc... While with men, it's simply a bad habit...

What's your opinion on women who smoke? And what's your reason?

I would appreciate comments based on experiences rather than bias...

And I need valid points how SMOKING directly indicates a wayward woman...

Thanks!

It clearly states on a cigarette pack, SMOKERS are LIABLE to die young. This warning may not be a fact but then again why would any female aka a potential mother want to jeopardize her unborn baby ie if she plans to have one, at risk.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by HeyCorleone(m): 2:10pm On Nov 29, 2021
Bigredmachine:

Smoking in general is something that's attached to a wayward life... A man who smokes may be seen as an irresponsible man, infact society of today will quickly say he's a useless man... But hell no, not all who smoke are irresponsible...

As for women who smoke out of any reason... Will always get harsh treatment from the public cos, the society sees women as gentle and tender creature who should not be caught in such act... I won't blame the society for looking down on women cos from my observation 84% of women who smoke lives a wayward life... The rest are just addicted to it... That's just the way it's, even me I classify women who not only smoke, but pierce their nose as wayward (I need to change that thinking, I know this)... Well OP just live ur life the way it pleases you, so long as u don't affect the life of others

“84% of women who smoke live a wayward life”

How did you arrive at that data? How did you conduct your study? You said it’s from your observation, which means it’s something you carried out. At what time? What age range? Location?

Only a fool would ever take your opinion seriously. You don’t live a “wayward” life but you can conjure figures to suit your bias. What a shameless life.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Legendoo: 2:10pm On Nov 29, 2021
This girl is the epitome of what a girl shouldn't be.

All her posts irks the shit out of me. Red flags everywhere.

Girl is trying so hard to be woke but you're simply destroying yourself.

If we talk, you'll say we're backwards, and your brain is still developing. However you've drowned yourself into vice's, socio cultural battle's, non conforming behaviour and seem cognitively impaired.

You were barely 10 just 8 years ago and you think you have it all figured out.

I'm just sorry for you sha. Anyways continue. I trust the oponu foolish adult Nigerian idiots to encourage you.

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Supertocano: 2:13pm On Nov 29, 2021
Smoking is not even good for me talk more of women...they should highly stigmatized.

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by HeyCorleone(m): 2:15pm On Nov 29, 2021
FirmTR:

Although to me, it's irresponsible for a woman to smoke, but still can be friends with one in a non-romantic way.

Lol you people and your fake standards.

“It’s irresponsible for a woman to smoke”. Why? No reason at all. It’s just irresponsible. Regular profiling.

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Promise9: 2:18pm On Nov 29, 2021
How will you feel smoking with your unborn child in the womb?
How feel smoking in the presence of your children?

Smoking, for both sex has never done any family good character wise.It goes to affect the posterity of the persons involved.

As a young lady i will advice you do away with,
GOD has a great purpose for your life discovering it should be your main pursuit.
Allow him to lead you.

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by HeyCorleone(m): 2:22pm On Nov 29, 2021
tctrills:

Almost everything you said is true but then you forget that in Nigeria, most of the women we see smoking are prostitutes on the streets.
Maybe is we begin to see more female CEOs or professors or bussiness owners smoking we might begin to encourage our women to smoke but for now, we don't want them taking after the prostitutes.

This is literally the same argument the Nigerian police uses to harass, extort, maim, and kill innocent Nigerian youths.

“Fraudsters use iPhones. You use iPhone. So you must be a fraudster.”

“Fraudsters and robbers cut this type of hairstyle. So you must be a fraudster”.

Can you see how foolish you sound?

2 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by VULCAN(m): 2:27pm On Nov 29, 2021
That is no sister.

That's a cheap video vixen that was on Big Brother some years ago.

The OP knows what she did using that picture.

Attempting to normalise what isn't!

sammirano:
Please just remove the image of that sister smoking. If you choose to continue smoking it is your lungs that will tell you otherwise, not me.

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by firstratedcitiz(m): 2:28pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:

Why the stigmatisation?
Quit the habit. Stop smoking, it is not good for your health. Forget stigmatization.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by tctrills: 2:28pm On Nov 29, 2021
HeyCorleone:

This is literally the same argument the Nigerian police uses to harass, extort, maim, and kill innocent Nigerian youths.

“Fraudsters use iPhones. You use iPhone. So you must be a fraudster.”

“Fraudsters and robbers cut this type of hairstyle. So you must be a fraudster”.

Can you see how foolish you sound?
You are the foolish one here. You made no point. What does smoking have to do with police. You are all over the place.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Boss13: 2:32pm On Nov 29, 2021
TheNoble007:

At the bolded, don't be deceived. The stigmatization is also great here as well... You are better off to quit smoking if not because of moral sake, then at least for your health sake. You can never know the impact until your later years, and the vast majority of people who smoke, later go into drugs with time. Now compare the nemesis living in Nigeria.

Earlier this year, I underwent a regular medical checkup and my white doctor was so amazed when she saw my chest X-ray. This is possible as I don't smoke and do not inhale.

I do not know you. Albeit, I want you to live long and enjoy the fruit of your labour.

Shalom.

Thanks for your comment. I get to read so many ignorant comments and threads on nairaland comparing Nigeria with the West. Many of the individuals have never traveled before or reside in the west. They only get a window view of the west via Hollywood and they think that's how the west operates.

To the OP, smoking is a detestable behavior everywhere in the world. Smokers are not allowed to smoke in public spaces and are usually confined outdoors even during winter. Such lifestyle choice is frowned at by the larger society in the West. Don't let Hollywood deceive you. It is an addictive behaviour that attracts addicts and like minds to you. This is not gender related, but women who smoke get the long stick of the cane.

Smoking indicates the lack of control, insecurities, and impulsiveness. It is a dirty behaviour. The larger percent of western women who engage in this classless lifestyle choice are usually low-lives, prostitutes, homeless, and addicts. You can pick your lifestyle choice but you cannot determine how people would react towards you.

Your choice!

PS: To those who continue to make comparison between Nigeria and the West and their only experience is via Hollywood and tales from tourists, please snap out of it and get a life.

5 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Legendoo: 2:39pm On Nov 29, 2021
Boss13:

Thanks for your comment. I get to read so many ignorant comments and threads on nairaland comparing Nigerian with the West. Many of the individuals have never traveled before or reside in the west. They only get a window view of the west via Hollywood and they think that's how the west operates.

To the OP, smoking is a detestable behavior everywhere in the world. Smokers are not allowed to smoke in public spaces and are usually confined outdoors. Such lifestyle choice is frowned at by the larger society in the West. Don't let Hollywood deceive you. It is an addictive behaviour that attracts addicts and like minds to you. This is not gender related, but women who smoke get the long stick of the cane.

Smoking indicates the lack of control, insecurities, and impulsiveness. It is a dirty behaviour. The larger percent of western women who engage in this classless lifestyle choice are usually low-lives, prostitutes, homeless, and addicts. You can pick your lifestyle choice but you cannot determine how people would react towards you.

That's why it's heavily taxed in the west to discourage it.

No government wants to pick up the slack for your irresponsible behaviour.

This new generation who grew up watching western TV will even tell those who are actually living there that they're backwards lol .

Talk about naivety and under exposure.

They are yet to learn that actions have consequences. Some mistakes can't be corrected and consequences will come full circle in the future.

We have a responsibility as adults to help steer this youngins who grew up on the internet and help them discern reality from what the read and see on social media. Especially regarding imitating the west.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by HeyCorleone(m): 2:39pm On Nov 29, 2021
tctrills:

You are the foolish one here. You made no point. What does smoking have to do with police. You are all over the place.

You’re the one who said since prostitutes smoke, women should who smoke should be viewed with the same lens. Is that not a stupid thing to say?
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Legendoo: 2:42pm On Nov 29, 2021
HeyCorleone:

You’re the one who said since prostitutes smoke, women should who smoke should be viewed with the same lens. Is that not a stupid thing to say?

Shut up stupid woke fool.

Go smoke, it's not our lung's.

Life will set you straight.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Boss13: 2:44pm On Nov 29, 2021
HeyCorleone:

Lol you people and your fake standards.

“It’s irresponsible for a woman to smoke”. Why? No reason at all. It’s just irresponsible. Regular profiling.

It is irresponsible for anyone to smoke. It impacts negatively on one's health. It is a dirty lifestyle choice. It is addictive and also an expensive habit (if you calculate the amount spent on tobacco from day one). It is for those who lack control or discipline.

Juxtapose these characteristics to a woman who is expected to nuture, care for children, teach, transmit, and transfer culture. What do you think will be the outcome - a world of smokers, irresponsible, and impulsive humans.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by razible5384(m): 2:44pm On Nov 29, 2021
Dreytonisback:
I like girls that smoke
They're more trusted than guys that smoke
When a lady smokes with you , you'll see that real side of her sweetness and good vibes in a mature way
In fact I can kill for a beautiful lady that smokes with me

Wanna be my friend?

Lights up my kpoli in peace.
good vibes abi?....till dem smash bottle for your head... grin
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Nov 29, 2021
I personally dun see anything wrong with that, it's choice and preferance, whilst smoking is not gender specified....I see women who smoke as cool and just because society is against it...africa at most doesn't mean its wrong...but try not make it an addiction
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Loreettaa: 2:46pm On Nov 29, 2021
Stigma or no stigma, smoking has more adverse effects on women than on men.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Loreettaa: 2:47pm On Nov 29, 2021
Boss13:

It is irresponsible for anyone to smoke. It impacts negatively on one's health. It is a dirty lifestyle choice. It is addictive and also an expensive habit (if you calculate the amount spent on tobacco from day one). It is for those who lack control or discipline.

Juxtapose these characteristics to a woman who is expected to nuture, care for children, teach, transmit, and transfer culture. What do you think will be the outcome - a world of smokers, irresponsible, and impulsive humans.
They'll say you're judgemental.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Wrecxman(m): 2:48pm On Nov 29, 2021
GerogeI:
I want to add a few more things to some people who think smoking means western emancipation.

In a lot of western nations smoking is prohibited in common spaces which you share with other people because of the issue of secondary smoke inhalation. Advertisement of cigarettes are outrightly banned in a lot of European countries and cigarette packages are mandated by law to be disfigured with mortifying warnings. No longer the era of cool adverts of Benson and Hedges with colourful sports cars.

So hearing people here go "In America, in UK.... blah blah" simply points to ignorant folks who have not left Nigeria and think smokers are merely ignored to live as they please over there.

You can only smoke in your private room or a designated smoking room or outdoors away from people in most of the western world. Being a smoker immediately mark's you are someone with at best poor health habits, and more like as poor health
Smoking in the USA will definitely affect how much your health insurance will cost you, you can call that legal discrimination. So it's not harmless or just left to be.

Off all gender issues were we must strive and treat men and women equally, smoking is not worth a second to waste.

I think you missed the point of this post until your last line...

The question here was why women who smoke are denigrated while almost nothing is said about their male counterparts who do the same.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Boss13: 2:50pm On Nov 29, 2021
Legendoo:

That's why it's heavily taxed in the west to discourage it.

No government wants to pick up the slack for your irresponsible behaviour.

This new generation who grew up watching western TV will even tell those who are actually living there that they're backwards lol .

Talk about naivety and under exposure.

They are yet to learn that actions have consequences. Some mistakes can't be corrected and consequences will come full circle in the future.

We have a responsibility as adults to help steer this youngins who grew up on the internet and help them discern reality from what the read and see on social media. Especially regarding imitating the west.

Exactly - they have no idea. These ignorant Nigerians are not aware that some smokers go for therapy too.

Your last sentence is extremely important. Hollywood and Social Media are both doing a great disservice to many Nigerians who have no idea of how the world truly operates, but continue to imitate extreme behaviors.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Misconstrue And Misconception Of "Aluta" By Nigerian Students / Having These 5 People As Friends Would Keep You Unsuccessful / Strayed Cow Unleashed In Ketu This Morning (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.