Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? - Nairaland / General (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? (33480 Views)

10 Different Types Of Women You Will Likely Meet This Xmas At Your Village / UN Tasks Nigeria On Stigmatisation Of ‘boko Haram Wives, Children’ / Nigerian Women Who Made History In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by emmyN(m): 5:24pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:
Like I clearly stated... No cultural bias... I don't need your, "women should be this or that" lectures!

A woman who smokes, how does she not value herself?

As for her image, that's the point of this post... Why smoking damages the image of a woman and not a man! Can you answer this?

And the only drawback to smoking is it's impact on one's health... But do you care that men smoke more? Are you concerned about their health also? Plus, there are a million bad habits...that could kill faster... undecided

Men and women are not equal.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Cousin9999: 5:27pm On Nov 29, 2021
It's unattractive (stinks, makes voice gravely/deeper, wrinkles skin, and more) and unhealthy.

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by tosyne2much(m): 5:29pm On Nov 29, 2021
I see people who smoke as people who are being careless with their lives. Same as those who drink excessively

As for the stigma being placed on women who smoke. To be very candid, baring those stigma, majority of Nigerian women who smoke tend to be living wayward lives and they also tend to associate with people of questionable dispositions so I think that's where the stigma originated from

2 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by St0rm(m): 5:32pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:
I'm as very light smoker- at most, three to four cigarettes a week...

I'm very young, and I started smoking two years ago...

In our society, if a woman is known to be a smoker... She's looked down on... And false assumptions are made of her personality...

Why the stigmatisation? I know men are victims too but women who smoke are viewed as classless etc... While with men, it's simply a bad habit...

What's your opinion on women who smoke? And what's your reason?

I would appreciate comments based on experiences rather than bias...

And I need valid points how SMOKING directly indicates a wayward woman...

Thanks!

Smoking is bad, yes i agree. People also die from numerous causes unrelated to smoking. I smoke, not addicted to it though, it’s an antidepressant for me. Our country tag smokers “irresponsible”, it’s been this way for long. i think the reason is because they see most people who act irrationally smoking in public so they’ve concluded that it’s how smokers behave. Unknown to them, most geniuses and influential people in this world, even college professors smoke but, in private. At this point in my life, I don’t even care if a lady smokes or not, hell i do too!. Once you’re solid and good to me, I’ll be good to you too, just dey coordinated, don’t be an addict. Even the “wife material” them dey f up too. Nobody holy pass biko.
I’m strongly against smoking in public though, don’t inconvenience others✌�
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by tctrills: 5:38pm On Nov 29, 2021
HeyCorleone:

You’re the one who said since prostitutes smoke, women should who smoke should be viewed with the same lens. Is that not a stupid thing to say?
Oys madam continue dey smoke and teach your kids to smoke. See the kind of thing you are fighting about.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Acidosis(m): 5:44pm On Nov 29, 2021
You smokers should stop playing the victim card. Everyone gets stigmatized in this country, including pastors and religious folks. Some of you have 'blacklisted' Jehovah witness and white garment folks for simply living their lives. Some of you can't make friends with hijab wearing Muslims. Some of you have classified all politicians as crooks and tend to hate their kids. Smoke your smoke in peace and deal with the stigmatisation. You can't tell people how and what to think. If they think you're irresponsible or dirty, deal with it. Pastors have accepted you people's claims with their full chest. Accept yours too.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Capitan01: 5:51pm On Nov 29, 2021
Smoking is injurious to health,whether you are a man or a woman. Do you know smoking is second leading cause of death globally?
How people use their money to buy a product that kills most of its users is baffling. Quit smoking okay, e no get who e epp

[color=#990000][/color]
Datboredberry:

In our society, if a woman is known to be a smoker... She's looked down on... And false assumptions are made of her personality...

Why the stigmatisation? I know men are victims too but women who smoke are viewed as classless etc... While with men, it's simply a bad habit...

Thanks!
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by billyG(m): 5:52pm On Nov 29, 2021
In ma village no one bat an eyelid if old women smoke tobacco but it is unthinkable to see young gals smoke cigarettes.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by AfroMighty(m): 6:03pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:

Thanks!

All smokers are not bad people...i smoke alot for that matter and am the best thing to ever happen to myself and some people, have met terrible girls who can't even stand the smell of smoke and good girls who smoke. The society we live in prefer to judge and distance themself from you base on the fact you're doing what they won't do. But to me what really matters is what you think of yourself.
And back to your question about my opinion about women that smoke..I grew up to hate guys that smoke talkless of women that smokes but i can proudly say i get to know me better because i smoke and what people say most times is their problem because i live in my own world, if you'll accept me the way i am, we will be good and if not, just take a walk...because you smoke and its your decision make you much of an independent person once it comes to choices..i think you're great...just love yourself..hundreds of habits out there make someone a bad person and people pay no attention to them at all...I have alot of female friends who smoke and they're doing just fine...I don't do drugs or even take alcohol but smoke that i do everyday...Remember what and how you feel or react to people's opinion is the bedrock to making choices...Limit your cigarrette (or smoke ESSE change cigar) and smoke W**d often. I love your sincerity sis..could have share a blunt with you had a been you're close...Love from this end..

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by CALCULUS16: 6:07pm On Nov 29, 2021
Pharaohny:
There's always an irresponsible woman for every irresponsible Man grin grin grin grin grin grin angry sad sad grin grin
gbam, area boys go marry area girls to give birth to omokomo area pikin. Life is not balance in other spheres, but u see this one-like beget like, like fall in love with like is a balance sumtin. U attract ur kind.

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by princewarri1985: 6:08pm On Nov 29, 2021
Seeing a woman smoking cigarette is kind of sexy to me, i remember 10 years back i was at alpha beach one sunday and i saw a white man his wife his daughter and son were all smoking together, and the son should not be more than 17 years while the girl 15, try that with african parents and your head will be on a stake, we africans need to change our mentality and that is why we are still backward, i see nothing wrong with women smoking
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Tzar(m): 6:18pm On Nov 29, 2021
It is a cultural absurdity for a NIGERIAN woman to smoke! It demonstrates a value deficient woman. The West or Asians may see nothing cuturally wrong with it, but we do in Nigeria!
Some cultures in Africa permits women to bear their breasts and men to walk around with their genital out. The west frowns at this culturally acceptable practice in South Africa and Sudan.
Also polygamy is acceptable in Africa, but not in the West.
So you see, smoking women are seen as wh*res in most Nigerian societies.

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Hkff: 6:32pm On Nov 29, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by olatbs(m): 6:33pm On Nov 29, 2021
Me i dont look down or say rubbish about them infact i love ladies that smoke igbo self.. we. Go just dey enjoy ourselves for house
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Shakathezulu1: 6:45pm On Nov 29, 2021
Deffjam:
boss..that feeling when kissing her. Her tongue go dey taste one kind........ grin

By the way, yesterday highness just dey commot for my body. Best X magic moment X Oris X Arizona
Better experienced than told.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by POLYGAMY: 6:47pm On Nov 29, 2021
Tzar:
It is a cultural absurdity for a NIGERIAN woman to smoke! It demonstrates a value deficient woman. The West or Asians may see nothing cuturally wrong with it, but we do in Nigeria!
Some cultures in Africa permits women to bear their breasts and men to walk around with their genital out. The west frowns at this culturally acceptable practice in South Africa and Sudan.
Also polygamy is acceptable in Africa, but not in the West.
So you see, smoking women are seen as wh*res in most Nigerian societies.
I WILL BAN YOU O angry
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Tzar(m): 7:21pm On Nov 29, 2021
What is my offense that warrants the threat? cool embarassed smiley

POLYGAMY:
I WILL BAN YOU O angry
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by BePrepared: 7:23pm On Nov 29, 2021
Boogyman557:
Holly Gram cool I FEEL u bro...

But d GIRL na Tom Boy... Na HER fellow woman she de do...

WTF MAN

Be a woman na
No b love again?

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Razaneli(m): 7:35pm On Nov 29, 2021
[quote author=Bigredmachine post=107977921]I just embarrass myself now...

Nkechi told me she was coming yesterday to stay with me till Sunday, after preparing for her cuming... She ended up not showing up, I called her but her phone was off, till now her phone is still off...

Wetin I go do that girl if I see am ennnn

I had already bought exhibit before that night, I forgot I kept 2 in my back pocket, so this morning I say let me rush down to the bank and do some transaction... Just to try and bring out my wallet, those 2 exhibit fell out to the full glare of the people in the bank...

Which kind embarrassment be this for me this morning... Na for this reason I go beat Nk die

I know that feeling right.....

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by ThinkinFaculty: 7:55pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:

Thanks!

@Op,
I smoke and I know alot of girls who do( which I don't see as a bad thing/habit as long as there is limits to which one does it.)
I know people see it as a wrong thing to do but it isn't.
I remember one time I was smoking in my room( that was the first time I moved to the house not long from that time) the landlord came to my door knocked and asked if the smell was coming from my room. I told him yes.. then he started advising me that I should try to stop it that he has a son that's hung on it and it's not something that you can get rid of once you are addicted to it.
I thanked him and from that day I didn't do it in that house again till I moved out( I still smoke at bars and clubs).
I've seen young people that hang around corners, joints earlier in the day and smoke and gist till evening, go home to start the routine all over the next day.. THAT'S IRRESPONSIBLE REGARDLESS OF THE GENDER
In this present society we live in, Women are not expected to behave in some certain ways.. especially rugged-looking (Masculine) lifestyles. ( IT IS WHAT IT IS) when they do they are assumed different ( wayward).
Some people go to class, banks... smelling of cigarettes (smoke) and alcohol, some bikemen smoke before hitting the road THAT'S WAYWARD.

What I'm trying to get at is DO NOT SMOKE where you are not permitted to or where you shouldn't if you do then you're irresponsible and wayward.

Let's not forget that nobody can see their own forehead within an external aid same way you can't tell if you're truly responsible or wayward without an external aid( someone telling you).
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Samuelriano1(m): 8:04pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:
Thanks! I remember a day I spent with a boy... He's in his twenties...

He was extremely nice, tried to flirt... But he was shy...

One thing led to another, we ended up in his friend's home smoking cigarettes and Arizona...

We vibed really well... Only, he assumed I was in a cult!

Thought I was a bad girl... Started speaking street slangs... I couldn't even understand him!

Like, I enjoy smoking... Doesn't mean I'm wayward... It's simply pleasurable... And if I'm with someone who doesn't smoke, I don't...

I really like you! Honestly...

a quick one, can u smoke in front of your kids? and how will you feel if you find out that your 10year old son picked the Arizona you quenched, lit it, and started smoking it? I just want to hear you response to this. pls respond
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by BigDolph(m): 8:19pm On Nov 29, 2021
Lee99:
Women who smoke turn me on, I am attracted to them a lot, we have a lot of fun together most times, na cruise and we dey fit relate well. But I can never and will never wife a woman that smokes. undecided

I can’t marry a Nigeria girl that smokes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Das1mama: 8:42pm On Nov 29, 2021
Well as for me, maybe is because in general view women plays majority and vital roles in a family and are classified as Home Builders such as a companion and a help mate. Hope u get the point?
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Kcxee(m): 8:51pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:

Thanks!

Firstly, I won't condemn the act but I will strongly advice every Lady to stay away from smoking, there are habits known to be Men's traits and not females and when a woman found doing such it becomes a big deal.

As nagging is to women,any man found nagging is considered a fool.

Now even if you try to find away to put your conscience to rest, please don't live a lie...... Smoking is dangerous to both genders but women are more stigmatized because it should be a mans thing.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Laurene: 8:57pm On Nov 29, 2021
Bigredmachine:

Smoking in general is something that's attached to a wayward life... A man who smokes may be seen as an irresponsible man, infact society of today will quickly say he's a useless man... But hell no, not all who smoke are irresponsible...

As for women who smoke out of any reason... Will always get harsh treatment from the public cos, the society sees women as gentle and tender creature who should not be caught in such act... I won't blame the society for looking down on women cos from my observation 84% of women who smoke lives a wayward life... The rest are just addicted to it... That's just the way it's, even me I classify women who not only smoke, but pierce their nose as wayward (I need to change that thinking, I know this)... Well OP just live ur life the way it pleases you, so long as u don't affect the life of others
this your statistics, nawaoo. Where did you pull it from?
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by FirmTR(m): 9:05pm On Nov 29, 2021
HeyCorleone:

Lol you people and your fake standards.

“It’s irresponsible for a woman to smoke”. Why? No reason at all. It’s just irresponsible. Regular profiling.

Which one be fake standard again?

That's why I said 'to me.'
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by FirmTR(m): 9:10pm On Nov 29, 2021
kumulus:

What's the definition of responsibility again?

Ask Google na
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by darichlife: 9:35pm On Nov 29, 2021
Datboredberry:
Thanks! I remember a day I spent with a boy... He's in his twenties...

He was extremely nice, tried to flirt... But he was shy...

One thing led to another, we ended up in his friend's home smoking cigarettes and Arizona...

We vibed really well... Only, he assumed I was in a cult!

Thought I was a bad girl... Started speaking street slangs... I couldn't even understand him!

Like, I enjoy smoking... Doesn't mean I'm wayward... It's simply pleasurable... And if I'm with someone who doesn't smoke, I don't...

I really like you! Honestly...
Wish i have you around me. Self knowledge is the PATH to eternal bliss. You are awake!
LOVE...

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by kumulus(m): 10:05pm On Nov 29, 2021
FirmTR:

Ask Google na

I just did thanks cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Nov 29, 2021
DarkCaesar:
I have one currently like that, we not dating and no Sex…….she just come around, we smoke and play around. She walks around the house naked and both go to sleep unclad every time she sleeps over. She’s just fun to be with………Sex sometimes ruin some relationships, I’m just understanding that

Lie. But take it easy. And show some respect for the people you are lying to. In case of next time. God bless.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by viktohmarkz(m): 10:17pm On Nov 29, 2021
Omo anyone who would say smoking is the reasons way people act wayward is just trying to act nice and justify themselves

Nobody hold pass ghen

Shebi on sunday everyone dresses to go to church but by 4:30pm 80% of then still dresses up to go clubbing

You holy people should leave smokers alone, no be them spoil this country, everything is a choice
They choose to..... You choose not to

Personally i fancy a female light smoker,
Not cigarette tho but weed or AZ

i might marry one sha.....who knows

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Misconstrue And Misconception Of "Aluta" By Nigerian Students / Having These 5 People As Friends Would Keep You Unsuccessful / Strayed Cow Unleashed In Ketu This Morning (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.