Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,406 members, 7,815,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? - Nairaland / General (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? (33474 Views)

10 Different Types Of Women You Will Likely Meet This Xmas At Your Village / UN Tasks Nigeria On Stigmatisation Of ‘boko Haram Wives, Children’ / Nigerian Women Who Made History In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by dannyspeejay(m): 10:32pm On Nov 29, 2021
We all got no choice..... but burn awyw stress kiss
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Nobody: 1:30am On Nov 30, 2021
Datboredberry:
I'm as very light smoker- at most, three to four cigarettes a week...

I'm very young, and I started smoking two years ago...

In our society, if a woman is known to be a smoker... She's looked down on... And false assumptions are made of her personality...

Why the stigmatisation? I know men are victims too but women who smoke are viewed as classless etc... While with men, it's simply a bad habit...

What's your opinion on women who smoke? And what's your reason?

I would appreciate comments based on experiences rather than bias...

And I need valid points how SMOKING directly indicates a wayward woman...

Thanks!

I like you...
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Mikelarteta(m): 3:30am On Nov 30, 2021
Datboredberry:
I'm as very light smoker- at most, three to four cigarettes a week...

I'm very young, and I started smoking two years ago...

In our society, if a woman is known to be a smoker... She's looked down on... And false assumptions are made of her personality...

Why the stigmatisation? I know men are victims too but women who smoke are viewed as classless etc... While with men, it's simply a bad habit...

What's your opinion on women who smoke? And what's your reason?

I would appreciate comments based on experiences rather than bias...

And I need valid points how SMOKING directly indicates a wayward woman...

Thanks!

I used to see it as something very bad until I travel abroad. 6 out of 10 girls smoke cigarettes. 2 out of the 4 that doesn’t smoke cigarettes actually smoke only weed.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by DarkCaesar(m): 4:44am On Nov 30, 2021
LoupGarou:

Lie. But take it easy. And show some respect for the people you are lying to. In case of next time. God bless.
lol which part of this is a Lie, the No sex part while we unclad together or me having a Runs girl as a friend?
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Desammyst(m): 10:53am On Nov 30, 2021
Smoking is a sin against your body and against God, whether committed by a male or female. The Bible says in Romans 12:1, "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service".
You're to present your body to God; not to cigarettes, not to marijuana, not to indian hemp, not to cocaine, not to tobacco, but to God your Creator, your Maker.
He says in Ezekiel 18:4, "Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die."
What then do you do? You have to repent and be converted to God. Come to Jesus, He alone can set you free from every sin.
Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by debbydams(f): 11:24am On Nov 30, 2021
DarkCaesar:
Nope Boss…..she just no hungry me to Bleep and she Dey arrange her friends for me for free. We just cool that way, I like her left hand in my boxers while we smoking together than to bleep her
oniranu
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by DarkCaesar(m): 11:28am On Nov 30, 2021
debbydams:
oniranu
my love no be so matter be oh cry
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by debbydams(f): 11:29am On Nov 30, 2021
DarkCaesar:
my love no be so matter be oh cry
nobi u again..I sabi u wella
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by EmpressOne(f): 11:46am On Nov 30, 2021
Well if you smoke Cannabis, whether man or woman, its very acceptable to me. But if you smoke cigarettes, just fogerrit, I consider you dirty and too careless, and I prefer not to be close with you. Cannabis is the way, the truth and the life ��

2 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by DarkCaesar(m): 11:49am On Nov 30, 2021
debbydams:
nobi u again..I sabi u wella
I’m a changed man….no longer follow my old paths grin
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by debbydams(f): 11:50am On Nov 30, 2021
DarkCaesar:
I’m a changed man….no longer follow my old paths grin
lies lies lies
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by DarkCaesar(m): 11:51am On Nov 30, 2021
debbydams:
lies lies lies
I miss you a little sha
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by HeyCorleone(m): 1:30pm On Nov 30, 2021
Boss13:

It is irresponsible for anyone to smoke. It impacts negatively on one's health. It is a dirty lifestyle choice. It is addictive and also an expensive habit (if you calculate the amount spent on tobacco from day one). It is for those who lack control or discipline.

Juxtapose these characteristics to a woman who is expected to nuture, care for children, teach, transmit, and transfer culture. What do you think will be the outcome - a world of smokers, irresponsible, and impulsive humans.

lol bro this is just a reach and it’s sickening.

People have always smoked, throughout history. Because dirty, unorganized, and rough people smoke does not make it a standard for those who smoke.

In advanced societies, they have smoke breaks at work in very big companies and it has not impacted them negatively. John Kennedy used to smoke Cuban cigars right there in the White House. It used to be considered classy to smoke, just because of how smokers presented themselves in certain societies.

So it depends on the person. Irresponsible people smoke. But not all who smoke are irresponsible. Smoking is just a habit. Anything can be a habit. They are people addicted to coffee. And coffee is a psychoactive. Messes with the brain and creates and addiction. But people who take coffee are not seen in a bad light. Why? It’s all in the image. Coffee is way more addictive than marijuana. But marijuana gets the hit. Even though it’s long term effect is not as serious as coffee (you can take marijuana these days without smoking).

My point is, if you do not smoke, good and fine. Not everyone must smoke. Same way not everyone drinks. I myself can’t stand the taste of alcohol. I hate it so much. But I’d be an idiot to say “people who drink alcohol are irresponsible” because touts in Lagos begin their day with sachets of alcohol, knowing damn well that wine, whiskey and anisette, all alcoholic, are enjoyed by those who we see as “high class”.

So just enjoy what you like and stop assuming that people who do what they love are irresponsible.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by HeyCorleone(m): 1:33pm On Nov 30, 2021
tctrills:

Oys madam continue dey smoke and teach your kids to smoke. See the kind of thing you are fighting about.

Lol I’m a guy.

Honestly I have more things to worry about than my kids smoking. More serious things.

The thing with us Nigerians is that we focus on low quality problems. Youth unemployment is at 50% if not worse and your main problem in life is that women are smoking. Can’t you see how funny you are?
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by HeyCorleone(m): 1:35pm On Nov 30, 2021
Legendoo:

Shut up stupid woke fool.

Go smoke, it's not our lung's.

Life will set you straight.

Lol what is woke about wanting to smoke?

People have been smoking for millennia now. It has always been socially acceptable in civilized parts of the world were life matters.

You live in a place where you can die from a medical emergency and you main worry is that people are smoking? Lmao.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by tctrills: 1:41pm On Nov 30, 2021
HeyCorleone:

Lol I’m a guy.

Honestly I have more things to worry about than my kids smoking. More serious things.

The thing with us Nigerians is that we focus on low quality problems. Youth unemployment is at 50% if not worse and your main problem in life is that women are smoking. Can’t you see how funny you are?
enjoy
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Legendoo: 1:45pm On Nov 30, 2021
HeyCorleone:

Lol what is woke about wanting to smoke?

People have been smoking for millennia now. It has always been socially acceptable in civilized parts of the world were life matters.

You live in a place where you can die from a medical emergency and you main worry is that people are smoking? Lmao.

You live in a place where there's lack of medical facilities and your biggest worry is adding more to your mortality risk by smoking?

You can't make this shit up .

I've concluded most of you folks are village people trying to be cool. Don't tell me about the west cos I live there.

1 Like

Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by HeyCorleone(m): 1:48pm On Nov 30, 2021
Legendoo:

You live in a place where there's lack of medical facilities and your biggest worry is adding more to your mortality risk by smoking?

You can't make this shit up .

I've concluded most of you folks are village people trying to be cool. Don't tell me about the west cos I live there.

Lol now you just sound childish.

You live in the west, where people have smoke breaks at the office, and you think those who smoke are irresponsible?

Well I don’t blame you. A monkey in a tuxedo is still a monkey. You can’t take the village out of the village boy. If you like, migrate to Pluto, you’d still have the same myopic point of view.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Legendoo: 2:40pm On Nov 30, 2021
HeyCorleone:

Lol now you just sound childish.

You live in the west, where people have smoke breaks at the office, and you think those who smoke are irresponsible?

Well I don’t blame you. A monkey in a tuxedo is still a monkey. You can’t take the village out of the village boy. If you like, migrate to Pluto, you’d still have the same myopic point of view.

Smoking is personal and the government can only discourage via taxes and bans , for example in night clubs , restaurant's etc. What does this say to your idiotic brain?

You make it sound like the government and companies encourage smoking lol because people have smoke breaks. There's isn't anything as such, people have break's and smokers smoke during it.

Arindins , you'll never have sense in that your stupid Nigeria.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by HeyCorleone(m): 3:11pm On Nov 30, 2021
Legendoo:

Smoking is personal and the government can only discourage via taxes and bans , for example in night clubs , restaurant's etc. What does this say to your idiotic brain?

You make it sound like the government and companies encourage smoking lol because people have smoke breaks. There's isn't anything as such, people have break's and smokers smoke during it.

Arindins , you'll never have sense in that your stupid Nigeria.

Lmao now you just sound pained. But your pain does not change the fact that people would continue to smoke.

Arindin in the west.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Legendoo: 3:23pm On Nov 30, 2021
HeyCorleone:

Lmao now you just sound pained. But your pain does not change the fact that people would continue to smoke.

Arindin in the west.

Oponu. Is it my cancer and lung's?

Just imagine your level of stupidity. Do you think I give a fck about y'all moronic idiot's?

Even those selling the cigarette's put a stark warning and are heavily regulated.

Waste your money and risk your health . Na ur wahala.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 30, 2021
Any lady staying in Uyo that cares for a cool marijuana/ Az joint with me can WhatsApp on 08023337034

Let's roll a blunt and chill.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Nobody: 6:56am On Dec 02, 2021
Datboredberry:
I sincerely wish derailers on Nairaland would drop dead! You're trying to ruin my thread! undecided
Such a strong choice of words. Just for something harmless as derailing. Hmm
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Dec 05, 2021
Legendoo:
This girl is the epitome of what a girl shouldn't be.

All her posts irks the shit out of me. Red flags everywhere.

Girl is trying so hard to be woke but you're simply destroying yourself.

If we talk, you'll say we're backwards, and your brain is still developing. However you've drowned yourself into vice's, socio cultural battle's, non conforming behaviour and seem cognitively impaired.

You were barely 10 just 8 years ago and you think you have it all figured out.

I'm just sorry for you sha. Anyways continue. I trust the oponu foolish adult Nigerian idiots to encourage you.

Datboredbery
You should really read what this man said to you. Read it quietly and see that he isn't trying sound demeaning, but he is making a solid point. Even if others will encourage you.
The bolded is my favorite part. And it speak directly to your person. Read it with a clean midn and see the truth in them...See that he is trying to declutter your mind/heart with hopes of a reorientation.... I wish you'd just drop your ego this time..
P.S I was a smoker before. Smoked for years, now it affect my left kidney ( the bigger one) about six years a smoker. So , it doesn't have to be for so long a time before it can affect you. Body differs....you don't know. So why take the risk, all to seem like you're chilling? With exposed peeps?? Cool kids?? The feeling it gives you that you are doing something new and "baddie-like" ...You're fitting in...You're well-travelled and porsh by Naija standards...it's things like these that make certain classes of ladies and girls do things that they know are frowned upon back home in Nigeria. Sometimes, I wonder if our parents are to be blamed. But we needed to see the world,. didn't we? They offered the opportunity...we decided to reinvent ourselves along the lines...To show we have arrived and we are now woke. ' We're not local...ehhn, we are not your average Nigerian, yen, yen ,yen'
Just because of notions like the ones I listed above.
But what's in it for your health? Any benefits? How do, or would you feel smoking in front of your brother? Didn't say a guy, or a bf...I said your brother? If you have one, or more. Or sister, or family member. You'll feel free? Good? Or you feel shy and nervous and guilty of something?
You know the answers to that.
Oh, and Before I forget....o developed asthma as a result of smoking. Yes. Almost passed out many times. Heart palpitations too. And it wasn't like I was the worst smoker amongst my peers. Cigarettes won't do you any good. But you already know this...The pride of life is what gets most of us. So we follow that pride and feed it... to our own detriment.
I'm probably just a year older or younger than you. And I'm already not as healthy as I feel o should have been by now.
I think the world of you. But you're really something else. I don't know if you just gave up on the good side of life....on purpose.
And I don't kmow why I care. When I know it only brings hurt and annoyance to me. It's your lofestooom the end.. write it the way you see fit.
Cc
Datboredberry
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Dec 05, 2021
Those guys all cheering u up and saying they like you here , because you smoke and you are openly proud of it, are just freaked by you. Infatuation....they want to chill and kick it with you... These kind of guys aren't in it for the long run...don't even be fooled.
They will still mouth you out to their buddies, telling them how you're a bad bi"tch and you are good for chilling and smoking away with..How you're just a turn on... nothing intimately deep...just carnal kind of desires..Is that what you want?..They don't care about what it does to your health and image. But I believe you hide to do your own smoking....maybe mostly abroad, not back home...and if so, indoors...not at bars and clubs. I feel you are that type...the hiding type
But still, smoking is smoking...and it has zero benefits...it's just the placebo effect you're carried away with. And the fact that you're pleasing others who smoke, by smoking with them, when they are smoking....not too feel like a judgmental girl and a girl afraid to try things out. I read where you said you don't smoke around those who don't smoke. You smoke around only those who are up for it. You sound like a people pleaser in away...
Remember, we each will be responsible for our individual bodies and health. Not collectively.

You are an intelligent lady. You know these things. I cherish your intelligence...even if we don't speak again.... cuz u feel I don't condone or vibe with he kind of things you do or say, or your outlook on life and morality and stuff, I'll never change my mind about loving you for your intelligence. One of the smartest I've met in my lifetime. I mean, Nigerian lady. There only a handful I've really come across..I just wish yoid see who you can be and stop giving up on the good sides of you.
I have wondered if you hold atheistic views of life and spiritually (mainly Christian God) ...it's just been on my mind Sha....I feel you'll feel angry if I pooped some questions along that line. So, I've refrained from doing so, so far. You seem ' care-free ' about alotta things and areas of life. From your utterances. And I know you said you'll always be there (here) for me...and all that, but I feel you're already gotten fed up with me because of our differences in opinions of what is permissible and what isn't...what's right and what's wrong...
Oh well, if so, then it was worth the while...to me. I just don't like to lie or sugar-coat things to the ones I really care about and like....then what's the good in that? If I did...
Light and love.... light and love, sweetie. I'll be fine by morning.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Dec 05, 2021
JerryBizz:

Datboredbery
You should really read what this man said to you. Read it quietly and see that he isn't trying sound demeaning, but he is making a solid point. Even if others will encourage you.
The bolded is my favorite part. And it speak directly to your person. Read it with a clean midn and see the truth in them...See that he is trying to declutter your mind/heart with hopes of a reorientation.... I wish you'd just drop your ego this time..
P.S I was a smoker before. Smoked for years, now it affect my left kidney ( the bigger one) about six years a smoker. So , it doesn't have to be for so long a time before it can affect you. Body differs....you don't know. So why take the risk, all to seem like you're chilling? With exposed peeps?? Cool kids?? The feeling it gives you that you are doing something new and "baddie-like" ...You're fitting in...You're well-travelled and porsh by Naija standards...it's things like these that make certain classes of ladies and girls do things that they know are frowned upon back home in Nigeria. Sometimes, I wonder if our parents are to be blamed. But we needed to see the world,. didn't we? They offered the opportunity...we decided to reinvent ourselves along the lines...To show we have arrived and we are now woke. ' We're not local...ehhn, we are not your average Nigerian, yen, yen ,yen'
Just because of notions like the ones I listed above.
But what's in it for your health? Any benefits? How do, or would you feel smoking in front of your brother? Didn't say a guy, or a bf...I said your brother? If you have one, or more. Or sister, or family member. You'll feel free? Good? Or you feel shy and nervous and guilty of something?
You know the answers to that.
Oh, and Before I forget....o developed asthma as a result of smoking. Yes. Almost passed out many times. Heart palpitations too. And it wasn't like I was the worst smoker amongst my peers. Cigarettes won't do you any good. But you already know this...The pride of life is what gets most of us. So we follow that pride and feed it... to our own detriment.
I'm probably just a year older or younger than you. And I'm already not as healthy as I feel o should have been by now.
I think the world of you. But you're really something else. I don't know if you just gave up on the good side of life....on purpose.
And I don't kmow why I care. When I know it only brings hurt and annoyance to me. It's your lofestooom the end.. write it the way you see fit.
Cc
Datboredberry

I don't smoke for anyone... I had to do so to deal with stress... No one who judges has any idea what I had to deal with as a kid...

Sexual abuse... Depressed mom... A father who poured petrol on me and my sister... A family who treated us like sh** cause we were dependent...

*Sighs...

The world can paint me bad... I'm not...

As for the health thing... I really couldn't care...

You're chatting with someone who sees death as a favour... Do you know how often I've prayed and faster to die... But that was then... When I believed...

I'm sorry... The consequences you had to deal with... But you and I are so different... Maybe you wish for a long life... Or something like that...

I don't... I do whatever I want to dull the pain I feel... And if it's deadly... Well, it's fine... I've barely lived my entire life... There would be no difference... Only that I would be six feet under... And whether I like it or not... That's where I'll eventually end up...

Death doesn't scare me... Life does.
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Nobody: 1:08am On Dec 06, 2021
Datboredberry:

I don't smoke for anyone... I had to do so to deal with stress... No one who judges has any idea what I had to deal with as a kid...

Sexual abuse... Depressed mom... A father who poured petrol on me and my sister... A family who treated us like sh** cause we were dependent...

*Sighs...

The world can paint me bad... I'm not...

As for the health thing... I really couldn't care...

You're chatting with someone who sees death as a favour... Do you know how often I've prayed and faster to die... But that was then... When I believed...

I'm sorry... The consequences you had to deal with... But you and I are so different... Maybe you wish for a long life... Or something like that...

I don't... I do whatever I want to dull the pain I feel... And if it's deadly... Well, it's fine... I've barely lived my entire life... There would be no difference... Only that I would be six feet under... And whether I like it or not... That's where I'll eventually end up...

Death doesn't scare me... Life does.
Oh...my eyes are almost wet here. We are so alike that it hurts. I wish you'd just phone me. Just once. From the little you've just revealed, you sound like you've passed through the same things I did. How is it we both faster an prayed for death? How coincidental?
If only you knew...I say the same about death being my rest. Oh , I feel your pain..it was my pain. It still is..
I also said the same thing...I want to die Young, but still rest in peace. And you also hold that same view. Why are we fuucked up like this? God... why..
*Sigh* I don't know what to do. People don't see our struggle because we mask it with humour, jokes and what have you. They think we are fine...that we love life, we are living it up! If only they knew.
But all I'm saying is be a little bit more considerate. I know it's not easy for you. You've been there, seen that and done that. The hurt can be eternal. But it doesn't have to be...
If I could just kindly ask for you to use that number,evenif it's just once..I can't say something here...it has to do with the sexual abuse...But I want to tell you something. Probably won't be happening...as you don't want to hear anything, anymore.
But I tried.....all I was trying to do was for a positive reason. So Sorry you were sexually abused...what can I say
Re: Why The Stigmatisation Of Women Who Smoke? by Cutehector(m): 7:25am On Oct 01, 2022
EmpressOne:
Well if you smoke Cannabis, whether man or woman, its very acceptable to me. But if you smoke cigarettes, just fogerrit, I consider you dirty and too careless, and I prefer not to be close with you. Cannabis is the way, the truth and the life ��
teach me about this cannabis thing.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Misconstrue And Misconception Of "Aluta" By Nigerian Students / Having These 5 People As Friends Would Keep You Unsuccessful / Strayed Cow Unleashed In Ketu This Morning (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.