Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,849 members, 7,817,513 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction (53707 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/opobo People: Facts Vs Fiction (VIDEO) / Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (90) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 12:05pm On Nov 30, 2021
SlayerForever:

Please what page uploaded this

You can find it on Opobo, Ndoki and Abia people's page. However, if you want to access this quicker, go to Igbo history since 3000 BC page on Facebook.
You will meet all these Igbos from Benue, Cross Rivers. Anioma are also super active.
The irony though is that Igbos from River state created the group and it is the most successful group on social media that is focused on Igbo history so far.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 12:10pm On Nov 30, 2021
izac82:

The Kalabaris were great merchants pre colonial period. I wonder how they lost that leading skill today to other groups.

Don't be deceived. I am currently reading some materials on trade along that coast during that time though I'm not through. Kingdoms like Kalabari only reached enviable heights during slave trade.

Once slave trade was abolished Kalabari and even Bonny declined. Bonny however sprang up with a new focus on oil palm and began to make tremendous progress because of its connection to Ndoki and other communities upstream. Kalabari did not pick up afterwards and even tried continuing slave trade for a while. That is how Ibani ethnicity mostly came about.

Ibani is what the Kalabari in Bonny began to call themselves when Bonny began to prosper. They even went ahead to claim to be brothers to the hinterland Ndoki too just like the original Okoloma people on the island. To be able to build a more friendly relationship with the hinterland markets. That is where this Ibani is Ndoki brother started from. It's not really as recent as the 70s.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 12:12pm On Nov 30, 2021
9Pluto:

Are these claims for real!!!
I am afraid this conversation will continue exposing a lot of fallacies.

Please, kindly let me have this literature so I can post it if you guys won't.
Thanks.

I may have it cheesy

Modified : okay this is not it. But it talks about Pepple's Christianity and the origin of the name Pepple. Not Perekule as revisionists like Chinenye will have us believe grin

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 12:18pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

If not that I want to add sources that are as neutral as possible in this thread and from writers who explored the Niger first hand.
If I present the works of Beale Africanus Horton, in 1861 here, the Ijo people would have committed suicide since.

If Horton was not bias in his report you may give us some relevant text from his works.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 12:20pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

You can find it on Opobo, Ndoki and Abia people's page. However, if you want to access this quicker, go to Igbo history since 3000 BC page on Facebook.
You will meet all these Igbos from Benue, Cross Rivers. Anioma are also super active.
The irony though is that Igbos from River state created the group and it is the most successful group on social media that is focused on Igbo history so far.

Thanks.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 12:21pm On Nov 30, 2021
9Pluto:

This is an interesting submission. Now does Ama mean the same thing to the ijaw in Delta, Edo and Ondo or is it only in Rivers State?

We may soon need the support of an igbo-speaking ijaw and an Ijaw-speaking igbo.

Please, guys let us try to keep the conversation as civil as possible.

You have asked a very critical question. Does AMA mean the town of to the Ijaw in Delta, Edo and Ondo?

Because AMA means compound or territory in Igbo language

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 12:25pm On Nov 30, 2021
SlayerForever:

I may have it cheesy

Modified : okay this is not it. But it talks about Pepple's Christianity and the origin of the name Pepple. Not Perekule as revisionists like Chinenye will have us believe grin

Another Perekule in the dustbin of history. You guys are evoking high blood pressure with this findings. Please, keep them coming. If not for any other thing let us change narratives and force Nigerians to start reading. It would be interesting to learn more of such from Lagos, Calabar and other coastal ports of the past.

Is this the same write up @Ekealterego mentioned? If not, kindly mention the source and date.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 12:29pm On Nov 30, 2021
JANK23H:

Ama mean the same thing in all Ijaw dialects.

Are there Ijaw towns outside Rivers and Bayelsa state with AMA attached? Ama could be a word that means the same thing in both Igbo and Ijaw, but to confirm it, I need to know whether there are other Ijaw towns outside Rivers and Bayelsa state with AMA, as a part of the town name.

OGBE seems to means the same thing in both Igbo and Idu (Edo)

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 12:29pm On Nov 30, 2021
9Pluto:

Another Perekule in the dustbin of history. You guys are evoking high blood pressure with this findings. Please, keep them coming. If not for any other thing let us change narratives and force Nigerians to start reading. It would be interesting to learn more of such from Lagos, Calabar and other coastal ports of the past.

Is this the same write up @Ekealterego mentioned? If not, kindly mention the source and date.

Thanks.

Eastlink will know the source. I think he's the one who uploaded it first.

It's not the same as Ekealterego's own.

8 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 12:34pm On Nov 30, 2021
JANK23H:

Check the meaning of Ama and Amakiri

The dictionary is not really a definitive proof.

In the Igbo dictionary, you may even see TEBULU, as meaning TABLE in English.

I need to know whether there are Ijaw towns that exist outside Rivers and Bayelsa state, with AMA as a part of their names.

It will definitely prove that AMA is a word Igbos share with Ijaws.

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 12:36pm On Nov 30, 2021
OfoIgbo:

Are there Ijaw towns outside Rivers and Bayelsa state with AMA attached? Ama could be a word that means the same thing in both Igbo and Ijaw, but to confirm it, I need to know whether there are other Ijaw towns outside Rivers and Bayelsa state with AMA, as a part of the town name.

OGBE seems to means the same thing in both Igbo and Idu (Edo)

Yes, Ama is common with Ijaw town names.

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 12:40pm On Nov 30, 2021
SlayerForever:

Yes, Ama is common with Ijaw town names.

I know AMA exists in Ijoid town names in Rivers and Bayelsa. I now need someone to confirm whether such town names also exist in Ijaw areas of Delta, Edo or Ondo state. I suspect AMA could be a shared word between Igbos and Ijaws.

7 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 12:43pm On Nov 30, 2021
JANK23H:

And you just ranted like what?
Why the obsession with Opobo and Bonny?
What have you done with your land?

On the contrary,if you've had time to go through this thread,you'd see the Igbo are the haughty ones.

Igbos are irrelevant in the scheme of things,and we don't give a flying Bleep about them.There are no Igbo kith and kin in those areas you mentioned.Get you brains out of your asse.s.

But Dakuku Peterside, the most well known Opobo politician has already told Ohanaeze Ndigbo to recognise the Igboness of Opobo people.

We, Igbos are now waking up to our responsibilities, following Dakuku's plea

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 12:44pm On Nov 30, 2021
OfoIgbo:

I know AMA exists in Ijoid town names in Rivers and Bayelsa. I now need someone to confirm whether such town names also exist in Ijaw areas of Delta, Edo or Ondo state. I suspect AMA could be a shared word between Igbos and Ijaws.

Anytime I talk about Ijaw I mean Bayelsa and Delta. There are no Ijaws in Rivers.

Ama is common in Delta as town name.

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Omanambala(m): 12:46pm On Nov 30, 2021
And the intellectual superiority of the Igbo man continues to torture the creek dweller who have no option but to resort to petty insults, instead of arguing with facts and proofs. Is this how you are gonna defend yourselves at the court.

Continue ffooling yourselves, we are entertained.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 1:02pm On Nov 30, 2021
Alabo7978:

Would you then explain why pepple and crowther maintained that Bonny speaks the Bonny dialect instead of the Igbo dialect or any other dialect.
From your explanations, it entails Bonny was some sort of Lagos in those days with multiple tribes(I agree) but who owned Bonny?
We can't deny the fact that the yorubas owns Lagos, and Yoruba is spoken there even by other people.
This document from crowther and pepple should tell clearly that Bonny were owned by the okoloama people who spoke the okoloama dialect which is THE SAME EXACT LANGUAGE SPOKEN IN CALABARI.
This isn't hard for Bleep sake.
Lagos is what Bonny is in those days, and just as Lagos is owned by the Yoruba people, Bonny was known as okolo-ama by the ORIGINAL INDIGENES.

But the Pepples were of Igbo ancestry. Thankfully both Captain Crow and Dr. Baikie confirmed this fact. Of course, Crowther in his true Yoruba form, possibly chose to hide this fact. Unfortunately, neutral Europeans, in their earlier records, did make it clear that the ruling families of both New Calabar and Ubani, were of Igbo ancestry.

Another fact being that Captain Crow's memoirs' compilation really started in 1790, which is many decades before Crowther was born.

What this means is that Crow's memoirs will always be a superior source of information with regards to the true origins of Bonny

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 1:10pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

Don't commend him. Do you believe that Ijoh can bring anything original.. He stole it!

I uploaded it in a thread, that was just a section of the upload. I uploaded from my own very book.

That was just a section of the book.
Tell him to reference the book.
It was in the same book that King Pepple admitted he was of Igbo descent. in the book Crowther wrote alone, it was also clear in a letter Pepple wrote to the crown in London to bring Christianity. Pepple specifically mandated Crowther in coalition with a Rev at Onitsha (I will remember his name later) to create an Igbo Bible.

Now, why will the king of Bonny request for a church and Bible in Igbo language?

Good work nnaa.
9Pluto I see you also grin grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 1:16pm On Nov 30, 2021
SlayerForever:

If Horton was not bias in his report you may give us some relevant text from his works.
Horton will cause the Ijaws high BP because according to him, even Nimbe and Brass were Igbos. The reason why I am avoiding Horton is because all the issues and research can generate 100 other topics and make us lose focus. they are intertwined but I will try.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 1:18pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

If not that I want to add sources that are as neutral as possible in this thread and from writers who explored the Niger first hand.
If I present the works of Beale Africanus Horton, in 1861 here, the Ijo people would have committed suicide since.

Please post materials from Africanus Horton, after all, they have brought in Ajayi Crowther.

Horton's take should be admissible as evidence. It is important

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Alabo7978(m): 1:20pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

Stop being clever by half. What is written there is OKOLOMA.

That upload is from MY BOOK, written by Baikie and Crowther, I uploaded it first!

Baikie was constructing names given to same same people by different tribes and in this section, he was even talking about Igbo subgroup. He was trying to resolve AMBIGUITY.

OKOLOMA is still in NDOKI TODAY!

Say it with me, OKOLOMA
I am not being clever you dunce. The British were the ones who changed alot of pronunciation and spellings due to their tongue.
Okolo-ama it is, okolo-ama in ndoki was the camp settlement of the okoloama people. Asimini wedded his daughter to an ndoki man to Foster trade relations with them and the place she settled with some of Asimini men was called or named Okoloama after them but the British came and corrupted it.
Same way N'enu-ugwu was corrupted to Enugu.
Infact many names were corrupted. Stop being stupid.
OKOLOMA is okolo-ama.
If it was Igbo, it would have been NOTED ON THE DOCUMENT, BUT THE DOCUMENTS CLEARLY SHOWED THEY WERE DIFFERENT DIALECT.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Alabo7978(m): 1:25pm On Nov 30, 2021
SlayerForever:

The same Pepple told the man he is Igbo, told Captain Hugh the same thing, told the man New Calabar's king Amakiri is Igbo. Hence, the language spoken in his kingdom was Igbo. He described Fubara his acquaintance taking asylum in Bonny as a stranger.

So what is your argument really.
Why can't you read brother man?
The document acknowledged ibos but it said and I quote
"But they speak the OKOLOMA dialect which is the same language as new calabar"
I repeat!!!
so how is OKOLOMA Igbo?
Can't you read brother man.
The document CLEARLY tells of IBO SLAVES though they speak the OKOLOMA dialect.
It didn't say Igbo.
Chai God eh.
Do you have jaundice?

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Alabo7978(m): 1:29pm On Nov 30, 2021
SlayerForever:

The same Pepple told the man he is Igbo, told Captain Hugh the same thing, told the man New Calabar's king Amakiri is Igbo. Hence, the language spoken in his kingdom was Igbo. He described Fubara his acquaintance taking asylum in Bonny as a stranger.

So what is your argument really.
Shut up, I read that stuff, the writer only flatly said the above kings are ibos.
It didn't show a testimony from the kings saying they were Igbo themselves.
So if I say you're from Ghana, and I publish it, does it mean you're Ghanaian?
Show a personal testimony, I repeat SHOW A PERSONAL TESTIMONY.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Alabo7978(m): 1:31pm On Nov 30, 2021
OfoIgbo:

But the Pepples were of Igbo ancestry. Thankfully both Captain Crow and Dr. Baikie confirmed this fact. Of course, Crowther in his true Yoruba form, possibly chose to hide this fact. Unfortunately, neutral Europeans, in their earlier records, did make it clear that the ruling families of both New Calabar and Ubani, were of Igbo ancestry.

Another fact being that Captain Crow's memoirs' compilation really started in 1790, which is many decades before Crowther was born.

What this means is that Crow's memoirs will always be a superior source of information with regards to the true origins of Bonny
I stopped reading this poo when you said crowther IN HIS YORUBA FORM CHOSE TO HIDE THE FACT like he knew they'd be Nigeria one day, .dunce.

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 1:39pm On Nov 30, 2021
Alabo7978:

Why can't you read brother man?
The document acknowledged ibos but it said and I quote
I repeat!!!
so how is OKOLOMA Igbo?
Can't you read brother man.
The document CLEARLY tells of IBO SLAVES though they speak the OKOLOMA dialect.
It didn't say Igbo.
Chai God eh.
Do you have jaundice?

Do you even know what your argument means?

Let me tell you because it seems you don't even realize the consequence of what you're saying.

What your argument means is that they were speaking Ibani but were all Igbo people with an Igbo king. Is that okay by you?

9 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 1:40pm On Nov 30, 2021
Alabo7978:

Shut up, I read that stuff, the writer only flatly said the above kings are ibos.
It didn't show a testimony from the kings saying they were Igbo themselves.
So if I say you're from Ghana, and I publish it, does it mean you're Ghanaian?
Show a personal testimony, I repeat SHOW A PERSONAL TESTIMONY.

But both Captain Crow and Dr. Baikie in their unrelated works, both confirmed the Pepples were of Igbo ancestry.

So you want us to abandon this fact, because it doesn't sit well with your tales

9 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 1:41pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

Horton will cause the Ijaws high BP because according to him, even Nimbe and Brass were Igbos. The reason why I am avoiding Horton is because all the issues and research can generate 100 other topics and make us lose focus. they are intertwined but I will try.

Great.

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Bonesking(m): 1:44pm On Nov 30, 2021
SlayerForever:

Nice

8 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 1:44pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

Now from this fantastic material we can see that the New Calabar (Kalabari) were Igbo speakers. Of course same as Bonny.

Which begs the question how much of Igbo identity does Nembe retain today.

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Alabo7978(m): 1:46pm On Nov 30, 2021
9Pluto:

Let me start by commending you for posting an interesting addition to this discourse. At first look, my literature is older than this one you post. Meanwhile, it would be necessary for you to mention the date and name of this publication for context. From my studies both Crowther and Jaja came after Crow had left Africa. Though Crowther was birthed earlier than Jaja.

Your post sorts of proof the igbo claim that Ubani/Ibani is an Igbo dialect.

Crow explicitly stated that Bonny people were Igbos and Brass. While acknowledging the presence or existence of Igbo, Breech, Brass, Quaw, Ottam, Appa slaves.

Let us also remember why both Crowther and Jaja though slaves themselves, they both ended up on the African continent.

Once more kindly names your source so we can look for more information to enrich or discourse.
Thanks.
I am not sure you read and understand that document well. Calm down and understand me.
I acknowledge the presence of ibo's, but they were MOSTLY SLAVES.
The document ALSO SAYS THAT BONNY IS CALLED IBANI,UBANI BY THE IBOS[NOTE] BY THE IBOS
BUT BONNY IS CALLED OKOLOMA[NOTE]OKOLOMA BY THE INDIGENES
You should ask yourself three questions here.
1) who are the indigenes?
2) who are the IBO SLAVES?
3) why did they speak OKOLOMA which is the language of the indigenes instead of(IBO, kwam, ATAM and the other languages)
Why?
This is first hand information from the indigenes as shown in that document to be taken to the British royal archives.
I'm sorry, but your white buddy's thesis you showed us was just HIS OBSERVATIONS AND OPINIONS, and other white men will also reference him in their own thesis.
The indigenes know themselves better.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Eastlink(m): 1:47pm On Nov 30, 2021
SlayerForever:

For those interested, click the link below for the source.
https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=9E_zDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA86&lpg=PA86&dq=king+pepple+from+pepper&source=bl&ots=fGTkP8XETD&sig=ACfU3U3KYZCi8LewH_2n4RAw0jGOPy_3Xw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiTm7emosjyAhXxA2MBHVIxCf0Q6AF6BAg1EAI#v=onepage&q&f=true

You can also check below for the Nairaland thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/6716756/evidence-king-pepple-got-name

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 1:48pm On Nov 30, 2021
Alabo7978:

I am not sure you read and understand that document well. Calm down and understand me.
I acknowledge the presence of ibo's, but they were MOSTLY SLAVES.
The document ALSO SAYS THAT BONNY IS CALLED IBANI,UBANI BY THE IBOS[NOTE] BY THE IBOS
BUT BONNY IS CALLED OKOLOMA[NOTE]OKOLOMA BY THE INDIGENES
You should ask yourself three questions here.
1) who are the indigenes?
2) who are the IBO SLAVES?
3) why did they speak OKOLOMA which is the language of the indigenes instead of(IBO, kwam, ATAM and the other languages)
Why?
This is first hand information from the indigenes as shown in that document to be taken to the British royal archives.
I'm sorry, but your white buddy's thesis you showed us was just HIS OBSERVATIONS AND OPINIONS, and other white men will also reference him in their own thesis.
The indigenes know themselves better.

Just one point. The language of New Calabar was Igbo too. So Okoloma dialect you mean was an Igbo dialect too.

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 1:49pm On Nov 30, 2021

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (90) (Reply)

President Buhari Receives David Lyon In Abuja (photos) / Historical Nigeria: A Rare Look Into The Past In Fascinating Photos. / Abdulmumin Jibrin's First Wife, Laila Who Dumped Him After He Married A 2nd Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.