Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction - Politics (62) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction (53568 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/opobo People: Facts Vs Fiction (VIDEO) / Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (90) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by DitariDisciple2: 8:11am On Dec 06, 2021
makemoneywbsite:

https:///1555385878035563/

https:///1653702151529177/

https:///byfnig/

This is so important. I am of the opinion that every Igbo person who has seen this post and its truth should as a matter of importance start making contact by joining some of these Opobo and Bonny Facebook groups and start working on nullifying the evil seeds Ijaw people are planting in their minds. From the evidence that we have seen from this post, we may have to even start working on Brass groups too. It is evident that what the Ijaws are to southern Nigeria is what the Fulanis are to the north - bandit tribes that have been displacing peace-living aborigines. I also suggest that we Ndigbo start mapping out some practical ways of fully reconnecting with these our kith and kin in the coast and other peripheral areas. Even if it requires funding, I am prepared to make a donation for those willing to visit Opobo and Bonny if there is a concrete plan of action on ground.

Iv forwarded this your comment to all Ijaw groups I belong, and iv even asked the people to foward it to all Ijaws.
Iv forwarded it to the Ijaw Youth Council group IYC.
The 3rd highest Ijaw socia-cultural organizations.
Iv forwarded it to the 2nd highest Ijaw socia-cultural organizations, Lovers of Ijaw Nation Organization LINO group
Iv forwarded it to Ijaw Republic group.
Iv forwarded it to Ijaw matters group.
Iv forwarded it to Izon Bibi group.
Iv forwarded it to Commissioner of Ijaw National Affairs.
Iv forwarded it to Ijaw National Congress President the same positions with Ohanaeze Ndigbo and Afenifere President.
Iv forwarded it everywhere nd asked them all to act.
Iv forwarded it to IYC President and his excos differently.
Iv forwarded it to INC excos.
Iv forwarded it to LINO excos.
Iv forwarded it different Ijaw Commissioners.
Iv forwarded it to the deputy Governor of Delta state.
The Ijaw man.

God be my witness on all these.
Now tell me who is smarter.

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by DitariDisciple2: 8:13am On Dec 06, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

Iv forwarded this your comment to all Ijaw groups I belong, and iv even asked the people to foward it to all Ijaws.
Iv forwarded it to the Ijaw Youth Council group IYC.
The 3rd highest Ijaw socia-cultural organizations.
Iv forwarded it to the 2nd highest Ijaw socia-cultural organizations, Lovers of Ijaw Nation Organization LINO group
Iv forwarded it to Ijaw Republic group.
Iv forwarded it to Ijaw matters group.
Iv forwarded it to Izon Bibi group.
Iv forwarded it to Commissioner of Ijaw National Affairs.
Iv forwarded it to Ijaw National Congress President the same positions with Ohanaeze Ndigbo and Afenifere President.
Iv forwarded it everywhere nd asked them all to act.
Iv forwarded it to IYC President and his excos differently.
Iv forwarded it to INC excos.
Iv forwarded it to LINO excos.
Iv forwarded it different Ijaw Commissioners.
Iv forwarded it to the deputy Governor of Delta state.
The Ijaw man.

God be my witness on all these.
Now tell me who is smarter.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by RobbStark(m): 8:23am On Dec 06, 2021
ebufa:

Leave nairaland idle banter, Igbo get people! all sorts of people for that matter! The day Ijaws make the error of attacking Igbos, we will cure their madness wella.........let ijaw braggadocio remain online o! Igbos that have taken on almajiris in kano and bested them,fought all Nigerians with one arm tied behind our backs by Great Britain for a bloody 30 months civil war, taken on fulani herdsmen and their army accomplices since January and forced a stalemate!................Igbos are not itshekiris o,it will end in bitter tears for ijaw people.

Noise as always.
Continue chest beating.
We don't talk much, we act.
Ask Kanu, when he ran away from the army that came, where was he all that while before he surfaced in Israel.
The Ijaws are like a God to you people

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by emperorshaokahn(m): 9:28am On Dec 06, 2021
RobbStark:

Noise as always.
Continue chest beating.
We don't talk much, we act.
Ask Kanu, when he ran away from the army that came, where was he all that while before he surfaced in Israel.
The Ijaws are like a God to you people
lol,ijaws are ants to we igbos.

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 10:01am On Dec 06, 2021
SlayerForever:
Igboid ị pụtakwa ula. Ụtụtụ ọma.

Come and write this Bonny/Opobo piece please.

Pass 11 ị putago?

Bkayy, 9Pluto, Ekealterego, Vintagepipes, OfoIgbo etc etc etc etc etc chi efogo kwanu.

Ututuoma.
Not sure I can do good justice to it.
But I can try.

What exactly do we want to have in this .

Take the readers through a concise but engaging and intriguing journey through the early history of Bonny and Opobo inhabitation, taking note of the ethnic identity of the early/first settlers, citing historical documents where necessary to back it up.

Be as vague as possible in definning Bonny and Opobo current political ethnicity, but being empathic in drumming down the fact that the ancestors of modern Bonny and Opobo were the KINGS and EARLY SETTLERS of those Islands and not just descendants of the slaves.

People on internet hate long articles, so article has to avoid being too voluminous?

Should article try to cite Ijaw distorted versions of Opobo and Bonny history before refuting them?

Maybe to avoid losing vital information while trying to avoid being too long, article can be broken down in parts.

Like Part 1 tailored specifically to present our case on Bonny and Opobo

Part 2, measured to debunk Alagoa and other Ijaw expansionists

Part 3, looking at current Opobo and Bonny identity and a detailed chronicle of Ijaw nationalists deliberate attempt at commiting cultural genocide in Opobo and Bonny .

I'm just brainstorming here.article MUST not be written by me , but I can try.

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by sinteiking(m): 10:02am On Dec 06, 2021
9Pluto:

Exactly, those are the salient facts we need to point out. They are claiming Niger Delta now to confuse more gullible people.

We need to bring out and promote Boro's original map.

You need to see this

https://www./byfnig/permalink/4890521714293203/

https://www./1653702151529177/permalink/3270555226510520/
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 10:06am On Dec 06, 2021
Igboid:

Ututuoma.
But I can try.

Take the readers through a concise but engaging and intriguing journey through the early history of Bonny and Opobo inhabitation, taking note of the ethnic identity of the early/first settlers, citing historical documents where necessary to back it up.

Be as vague as possible in definning Bonny and Opobo current political ethnicity, but being empathic in drumming down the fact that the ancestors of modern Bonny and Opobo were the KINGS and EARLY SETTLERS of those Islands and not just descendants of the slaves.

People on internet hate long articles, so article has to avoid being too voluminous?

Should article try to cite Ijaw distorted versions of Opobo and Bonny history before refuting them?

Maybe to avoid losing vital information while trying to avoid being too long, article can be broken down in parts.

Part 3, looking at current Opobo and Bonny identity and a detailed chronicle of Ijaw nationalists deliberate attempt at commiting cultural genocide in Opobo and Bonny .

Well said bro. However, I think the first article should not mention the controversies for a start.

It should connect history to the immediate past and then the present realities(as per language and culture).

Articles that address the controversies can come later.

There may also be need to form a whatsapp group to take certain conversations of here.

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 10:08am On Dec 06, 2021
RobbStark have you been able to meet with that coconut guy?

Would have been great if you did a video one of these days.Let the people speak for themselves.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 10:12am On Dec 06, 2021
9Pluto:

Well said bro. However, I think the first article should not mention the controversies for a start.

It should connect history to the immediate past and then the present realities(as per language and culture).

Articles that address the controversies can come later.

There may also be need to form a whatsapp group to take certain conversations of here.

So you agree on breaking the history down to parts then.

Part 1 should be all about Bonny and Opobo early history and their early settlers.
The list of kings, the intrigues and power tussle amongst them.
The evolution of early Bonny from the Okpara bu isi system of it's early Igbo settlers to adoption of the "Wari" war house system of the riverine tribes around them.

What do you think about the above?

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by RobbStark(m): 10:14am On Dec 06, 2021
JANK23H:
RobbStark have you been able to meet with that coconut guy?

Would have been great if you did a video one of these days.Let the people speak for themselves.

He was not in Opobo, cos if he was they wud have told him that the most public place we have in Opobo is the waterfront or king Jaja palace play ground.
How can he say he is in Opobo at the same time where he is there are no Opobo person to ask where is safe. Lies.

I believe even if he was in town, the same people that spoke Ibo wud have also told him that they are Ijaws who can't speak ibani
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by RobbStark(m): 10:15am On Dec 06, 2021
Igboid:

Part 1 should be all about Bonny and Opobo early history and their early settlers.
The evolution of early Bonny from the Okpara bu isi system of it's early settlers to adoption of the "Wari" war house system of the riverine tribes around them.

Effort in futility... grin grin grin grin
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 10:18am On Dec 06, 2021
RobbStark:

Then stop panicking grin

Let me tell you an example of effort in futility.

The useless attempt to implant the dead Kalabari language called Ibani in Opobo and Bonny.
That's an example of an exercise in futility.

It has been on since 1990s and now a yearly jamboree and avenue for funds embezzlement for Opobo and Bonny politicians.
I bet they would be earmarking huge state funds for it.
And after the whole jamboree, they all go back home to speak their beautiful Igbo language with their wives and children, probably mocking you desperate Bayelsans in their bedrooms. grin

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 10:19am On Dec 06, 2021
Igboid:

The evolution of early Bonny from the Okpara bu isi system of it's early settlers to adoption of the "Wari" war house system of the riverine tribes around them.

Like you said the article should not be unnecessarily long.
It should solely focus on the ibani igbo historical account of Bonny.
Early settlers at okuloma, Kings, natives, slaves (showing they were igbos of Ibani stock). Brief account of slave trade then. Who were the slaves, who were the slave traders etc Tradition, culture, health care (the dibias) the controversies that lead to the exit of Jaja. Article must make it know that a slave couldn't be King in Bonny.

Basically the person should review Crow's work especially from chapter 10 downwards.

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 10:21am On Dec 06, 2021
RobbStark:

I just shake my head reading their comments.The desperation is shameful really.

Why not visit those places first,interact with the people on a one-on-one basis.

Their self esteem in Nigeria has been bashed really.They'll clutch at anything to get it back.

It's pitiful!

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 10:21am On Dec 06, 2021
9Pluto:

Like you said the article should not be unnecessarily long.
It should solely focus on the ibani igbo historical account of Bonny.
Early settlers at okuloma, Kings, natives, slaves (showing they were igbos of Ibani stock). Tradition, culture, health care (the dibias) the controversies that lead to the exit of Jaja. Article must make it know that a slave couldn't be King in Bonny.

Basically the person should review Crow's work especially from chapter 10 downwards.

Okay, I think I can do this.
When I'm done I will post it here to be vetted by all before taking it to all Igbo Facebook platforms and those of Opobo and Bonny.

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by RobbStark(m): 10:22am On Dec 06, 2021
Igboid:

Then stop panicking grin

The useless attempt to implant the dead Kalabari language called Ibani in Opobo and Bonny.

It has been on since 1990s and now a yearly jamboree and avenue for funds embezzlement for Opobo and Bonny politicians.
And after the whole jamboree, they all go back home to speak their beautiful Igbo language with their wives and children, probably mocking you desperate Bayelsans in their bedrooms. grin

Continue, when you are done we own the town come n chase us away.
Online tigers, real life pusssy asss
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 10:23am On Dec 06, 2021
Igboid:

Okay, u think I can do this.
When I'm done I will post it here to be vetted by all before taking it to all Igbo Facebook platforms and those of Opobo and Bonny.

I would suggest a follow up group be created outsidea here. Where you can post the article for review and other necessary follow ups.

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 10:23am On Dec 06, 2021
Igboid:

Then stop panicking grin

But I thought at some time in the life of Nairaland you said Kalabaris are Igbos,so also are Okrika.All these were done to reduce the presence of Ijaws in the costal area.

Are they now Ijaws?

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by RobbStark(m): 10:25am On Dec 06, 2021
JANK23H:

I just shake my head reading their comments.The desperation is shameful really.

Why not visit those places first,interact with the people on a one-on-one basis.

Their self esteem in Nigeria has been bashed really.They'll clutch at anything to get it back.

It's pitiful!

This their desperate attempt at claiming Opobo n bonny started the moment Buhari said they are like a dot in a circle.
Go thro the timeline, you will notice that.
Don't worry brother, their noise ends in this forum, no be today dem start to claim lands.
No where e reach.
After all they yet to see anyone in this forum who claims to be Ibo at the same time from Opobo or Bonny
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Pass11: 10:26am On Dec 06, 2021
Igboid:

Ututuoma.
But I can try.

If we can get someone like maazi Ogbonnaya okoro to key into this project ?

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by RobbStark(m): 10:27am On Dec 06, 2021
JANK23H:

But I thought at some time in the life of Nairaland you said Kalabaris are Igbos,so also are Okrika.All these were done to reduce the presence of Ijaws in the costal area.

Are they now Ijaws?

They are a confused set of beings.
Imagine people who said they are majority yet don't know what that means.

"Ibos are ready to kneel n beg for presidency"...Ezeife 2021
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 10:30am On Dec 06, 2021
RobbStark:

This their desperate attempt at claiming Opobo n bonny started the moment Buhari said they are like a dot in a circle.
Go thro the timeline, you will notice that.
Don't worry brother, their noise ends in this forum, no be today dem start to claim lands.
No where e reach.
After all they yet to see anyone in this forum who claims to be Ibo at the same time from Opobo or Bonny
I know.

I'm not worried one bit.I just feel pity at this moment.They are pulling at everything to gain relevance.

The Fulanis and Yorubas have reduced them to nothing in Nigeria.Like a woman who has been raped repeatedly and has lost every self esteem.

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by sinteiking(m): 10:34am On Dec 06, 2021
I have been following this thread and I have learned quite a lot from both sides but what I can say is that I have visited both Opobo and Bonny and the local folks there believes they are Ijaws by ethnicity.

Opobians believes they are of the Ijaw ethnic descent Even as much as there is a dual language in use in Opobo.

Opobians speaks both their mother tongue(Ibani Ijaw) and broken Igbo or pidgin Igbo.

Opobian culture is similar to other Eastern Ijaws such as the Kalahari's, Okirika, Bonny and Nembe sub groups.

To end this debate, it is necessary to identify what ethnic groups the local folks identify themselves with.

The Opobian king has already identified him and his Subjects as Ijaw people, the local folks identify themselves as Ijaw people and they associate themselves with Ijaw social cultural groups.

If Opobians and Bonny people has identified themselves as Ijaw, I see no reason why most persons will come online and try to attach them to any other groups.

Bonny and Opobians was not force to associate themselves with Ijaw social cultural groups, they associate themselves with Ijaw social cultural groups because they feel they are connected and are part of the larger Ijaw ethnic group

Now, if Bonny and Opobians believe or feel they are Igbos, they would have identified themselves with the larger Igbo ethnic group or associate themselves with Igbo social cultural groups.

I think all this debate on Bonny and Opobo would best be solved of the debaters can venture into this places and interview the locals on ground and see things for themselves.

The best people who can identify the real ethnicity of Bonny and Opobo people are the local folks of Opobo and Bonny.

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 10:36am On Dec 06, 2021
9Pluto:

I would suggest a follow up group be created outsidea here. Where you can post the article for review and other necessary follow ups.

Slayerforever already created a group, but I was slow to join.
I have been on this forum for so long because I always avoided joining forums created outside here.
Many of such forums end up infiltrated by Igbophobes and identities of members and their Monikers made public here.
We have lost many strong Igbo voices to such. The one that pained me most was that of a certain Anioma son around 2012 or so.

Maybe I should make an exception this time around.
I don't even access to the email I used to open this Moniker anymore.

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 10:46am On Dec 06, 2021
Igboid:

I have been on this forum for so long because I always avoided joining forums created outside here.
Many of such forums end up infiltrated by Igbophobes and identities of members and their Monikers made public here.
We have lost many strong Igbo voices to such. The one that pained me most was that of a certain Anioma son around 2012 or so.

My brother it's not easy. Many people ran away from joining because they were scared their identities would be made public. I can't blame them at all. Some people on this forum are despicable. Me I have sacrificed myself already. Make it public if you want grin. After all I'll be interacting with people one or one from next year whether I like it or not.

The alternative is a WhatsApp group. I can create an Igwebuike WhatsApp group immediately for better coordination outside here, then add interested persons. There people can be free to talk while protecting their identities grin

Do I go on?

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 10:46am On Dec 06, 2021
sinteiking:
I have been following this thread and I have learned quite a lot from both sides but what I can say is that I have visited both Opobo and Bonny and the local folks there believes they are Ijaws by ethnicity.

Opobians believes they are of the Ijaw ethnic descent Even as much as there is a dual language in use in Opobo.

Opobians speaks both their mother tongue(Ibani Ijaw) and broken Igbo or pidgin Igbo.

Opobian culture is similar to other Eastern Ijaws such as the Kalahari's, Okirika, Bonny and Nembe sub groups.

To end this debate, it is necessary to identify what ethnic groups the local folks identify themselves with.

The Opobian king has already identified him and his Subjects as Ijaw people, the local folks identify themselves as Ijaw people and they associate themselves with Ijaw social cultural groups.

If Opobians and Bonny people has identified themselves as Ijaw, I see no reason why most persons will come online and try to attach them to any other groups.

Bonny and Opobians was not force to associate themselves with Ijaw social cultural groups, they associate themselves with Ijaw social cultural groups because they feel they are connected and are part of the larger Ijaw ethnic group

Now, if Bonny and Opobians believe or feel they are Igbos, they would have identified themselves with the larger Igbo ethnic group or associate themselves with Igbo social cultural groups.

I think all this debate on Bonny and Opobo would best be solved of the debaters can venture into this places and interview the locals on ground and see things for themselves.

The best people who can identify the real ethnicity of Bonny and Opobo people are the local folks of Opobo and Bonny.

This has been said over and over again my brother.I just tire.

Go there and see for yourselves!

They'll attack you,just watch.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 10:47am On Dec 06, 2021
sinteiking:

Opobo and Bonny associate with Ijaw because Ijaw as we know it today is a political franchise, anyone in the riverine terrain can join.
Even Edoid speakers like Epie/Atissa, Engenni, Udekeme, etc all identify as Ijaws today even though they continue to speak their native Edoid language.
They understand Ijaw to be a political franchise.

The Ibibiod groups who are recently trying to form an independent United group of the own, which includes the Abua, Odual, Ogbia, etc also speak their Ibibiod language at home.
They all understand that Ijaw is a political franchise for easy access of oil contract deals and other lucrative dealings with oil companies and the FG.
Ijaw is not making any effort to surplant the native non Ijoid language of these groups.

But in case of Opobo and Bonny, because they are Igboid, Ijaws are not comfortable with just the political franchise tag, they want a cultural suicide. They consider the Igbo a soft target. Hoping to rally on the prevalent Igbophobic sentiments prevalent in the region.

They want Bonny and Opobo language replaced outrightly.
To this aim, historical distortions have been made by Alagoa and perpetuated for decades unchallenged regrettably by the Igbo Academia, so much that they have started taking the form of the truth.
The Bonny and Opobo people are being Hoodwinked into believing that their Igbo language was an alien language, while Kalabari language was their old language.They have made it hard for Opobo and Bonny to embrace their Igbo language by distorting historical facts and creating the impression in the psych of Bonny and Opobo that for them to embrace Igbo, is equivalent to accepting that they are descendants of Igbo Slaves, since Alagoa had effectively contrived to reduce Igbo presence in Bonny to that of Igbo slaves, while dubiously omiting the fact that Igbos were also present in Bonny as Kings and as Aboriginals as testified by early European accounts of Bonny.

Our point is that if Bonny and Opobo people are going to Change their Igbo language to Kalabari language, let them atleast do so knowing the truth that their ancestors always spoke Igbo and were Igbos and that there was no language switch.
Let them know that their Igbo language didn't come to them through Igbo slaves but through their Kings and their first ancestors who were Igbos and first settlers in the Island.
Let them know that embracing their Igbo Language and culture doesn't make them decendants of Igbo Slaves, it makes them descendants of early Bonny founders and kings, it gives them nobility claim in the Island.

Let their decision to throw away their Igbo language be that of an INFORMED decision, and not a manipulated one that it currently is.

This thread is not about making Bonny and Opobo people accept Igbo.
It's about correcting historical distortions that demonized the Igbo language in Bonny and Opobo,by presenting it as a language of slaves, when all historical facts show that the early founders of Bonny and Opobo not only were Igbo speakers, but identified themselves as a people of Igbo descent.

This is the meat of this thread.

I hope you understand better now!

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 10:50am On Dec 06, 2021
Igboid:

I have been here for a while too but mostly passively. It think it should be possible to vet people's identity and certify they are who they claim they are. For example when you request to join, you can be asked to post a particular phrase on a thread with your nairaland profile...

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 10:55am On Dec 06, 2021
Igboid:

Opobo and Bonny associate with Ijaw because Ijaw as we know it today is a political franchise, anyone in the riverine terrain can join.
Even Edoid speakers like Epie/Atissa, Engenni, Udekeme, etc all identify as Ijaws today even though they continue to speak their native Edoid language.
They understand Ijaw to be a political franchise.

The Ibibiod groups who are recently trying to form an independent United group of the own, which includes the Abua, Odual, Ogbia, etc also speak their Ibibiod language at home.
They all understand that Ijaw is a political franchise for easy access of oil contract deals and other lucrative dealings with oil companies and the FG.
Ijaw is not making any effort to surplant the native non Ijoid language of these groups.

But in case of Opobo and Bonny, because they are Igboid, Ijaws are not comfortable with just the political franchise tag, they want a cultural suicide. They consider the Igbo a soft target. Hoping to rally on the prevalent Igbophobic sentiments prevalent in the region.

They want Bonny and Opobo language replaced outrightly.
To this aim, historical distortions have been made by Alagoa and perpetuated for decades unchallenged and regrettably by the Igbo Academia, so much that they have started taking the form of the truth.
The Bonny and Opobo people are being Hoodwinked into believing that their Igbo language was an alien language, while Kalabari language was their old language.

Our point is that if Bonny and Opobo people are going to Change their Igbo language to Kalabari language, let them atleast do so knowing the truth that their ancestors always spoke Igbo and were Igbos.
Let them know that their Igbo language didn't come to them through Igbo slaves but through their Kings and their first ancestors.

Let their decision to throw away their Igbo language be that of an INFORMED decision, and not a manipulated one that it currently is.

This thread is not about making Bonny and Opobo people accept Igbo.
It's about correcting historical distortions that demonized the Igbo language in Bonny and Opobo,by presenting it as a language of slaves, when all historical facts shows that the early founders of Bonny and Opobo not only were Igbo speakers, but identified themselves as a people of Igbo descent.

This is the meat of this thread.

I hope you understand better now!

Truer words have not been spoken on this thread.

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 10:59am On Dec 06, 2021
SlayerForever:

My brother it's not easy. Many people ran away from joining because they were scared their identities would be made public. I can't blame them at all. Some people on this forum are despicable. Me I have sacrificed myself already. Make it public if you want grin. After all I'll be interacting with people one or one from next year whether I like it or not.

The alternative is a WhatsApp group. I can create an Igwebuike WhatsApp group immediately for better coordination outside here, then add interested persons. There people can be free to talk while protecting their identities grin

Do I go on?

I support you go on. Whatsapp or telegram.
You can use this to verify identity. If certified you can add them to the group.
Let them first connect to you personally, then they would be asked to post a particular phrase on a thread with your nairaland profile...

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 11:01am On Dec 06, 2021
9Pluto:

I have been here for a while too but mostly passively. It think it should be possible to vet people's identity and certify they are who they claim they are. For example when you request to join, you can be asked to post a particular phrase on a thread with your nairaland profile...

That's a good idea.
Slayerforever, you should create a new Facebook page, and then we admit members from NL only by this means.

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 11:04am On Dec 06, 2021
9Pluto:

I support you go on. Whatsapp or telegram.
You can use this to verify identity. If certified you can add them to the group.
Let them first connect to you personally, then they would be asked to post a particular phrase on a thread with your nairaland profile...

Of course the person will have to prove to me they are who they claim to be.

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (90) (Reply)

Akpabio Wins Senate President Election / Guns Of President Buhari's Guards Of Honor Checked Anytime He Arrives (Photos) / Nima Elbagir Enters Sambisa Forest With The Aid Of Security Personnel. Photos

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128