Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,930 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction - Politics (73) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction (53589 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/opobo People: Facts Vs Fiction (VIDEO) / Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (90) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Alabo7978(m): 1:21am On Dec 11, 2021
Igboid:

You are clutching on straws.
At that point in history, Kalabari was not just an Ijoid speaking people, they were multilingual.
We know they had atleast Igbos, and Ibibiod tribes there then all living together.
They are actually called New Calabar because they migrated from Calabar.
So the original stock there were non Ijoid.
The King of New Calabar was an Igbo by the time Baike and Crow was around the neighborhood.
We know this because the Igbos native to New Calabar who found themselves in Sierre Leone, identified themselves as Bom-Ibo!
They spoke and knew they were Igbos and identified with other Igbos in Sierre Leone.

In it's formative years, most clans in what you call the Eastern Ijaw today, ie New Calabar, Okirika were a multilingual and cultural people consisting of natives from Igbo, Ibibiod and Ijoid tribes.
For some reason years of mixing resulted in Ijoids coming tops in New Calabar and Okirika, though in some parts of Okirika, the Ibibiod (Obulom/Abuloma) and Igboids (Okujagu) managed to create enclaves where they retained their language while the rest of them were assimilated by Ijoids.
But in Bonny and Opobo, the Igbo Aboriginals helped by Igbo slaves managed to dominate th Islands totally and obliterated any non-Igbo presence.
Grow sense, those places were ijo fishing villages/settlements.
It is called new calabar because it replaced the old calabar in exporting.
Okrika were all fishing camps before morphing into towns due to migration from particularly the Nembe people, that is why the language is the same.
Ibibio and ibo were minority.
Wakirike in particular bought female ibos as sex slaves.

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by BKayy: 2:17am On Dec 11, 2021
Alabo7978:

Liar!
my region falls under the old brass region, we call curlew okolain.
Stop lieng!

The IBOS called OKOLOMA okoloBA
Look at the document by crowther and king PEPPLE himself
And what did the Jo men call it?

Oops, I forgot that Ijaw wasn't existing then.

7 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Eastlandx: 6:23am On Dec 11, 2021
Eastlink:
I think we need to open a thread on this fraudulent Perekule the Ijaws keep using for King Pepple. I open the thread and one uninformed admin sent it to food section. We can use the opportunity to tell the true story of King Pepple, his Igbo name, his Igbo origin and his exploits. At least unlike the Ijaws, we use facts to back up our findings.
What do you think Slayerforever?
I'm with you brother

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Eastlandx: 6:24am On Dec 11, 2021
Alabo7978:

He didn't say so, your white man said so.

And by the way, the only reason ndoki even have some ties with Bonny was because Asimini married off his granddaughter Kambasa off to an ndoki man to Foster trade relations with the hinterlands, Kambasa didn't like that place, and once her father died she returned back to okolo-ama leaving her husband behind.
Your white man didn't even mention that because he didn't know how to communicate with the locals in the dialect so he just gather few facts to HURRIEDLY arrange a report or thesis.
If not for Kambasa marrying an ndoki man, the few IBO freemen wouldn't have been free.
Is there any prehistoric document to support this your fairytale imagination?

4 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Nobody: 9:05am On Dec 11, 2021
EmmaJnr1:
na small boy you be. U don't know anything. I see my response to you as a waste of time but I just have to do it. Igbos own rivers state most especially porthacourt. After the war, some minority tribes started taking over igbos lands and property in rivers state which made many igbos to claim they were not igbos just to still live in their ancestral land and have access to their properties. It was within this time that Ikwere was created by Obi nwanali just so they can get job and retain their properties as ikwerre people instead of being seen as igbos. Read about this from this link https://www.nairaland.com/6695300/meet-man-established-ikwerre-rivers

I know u are a fulani sponsored miscreant that moves around to post nonsense just to spit on the Igbos. Una plan na moi moi. Igbos knows where their land starts and end and no one will be left behind when we enter biafra. Even minority ijaw can join through a referendum. Urobo have more population than Ijaw but they are not making noise like this. 90% of Rivers state is Igbo land and are igbos

Referendum will decide. No one would be forced to join biafra. Ijaw, Itshekiri, Urobo can join Biafra which is opened to all. Take note that Biafra is not an Igbo thing. Cross river and akwaibom are biafrans too. You this fulani government paid detractors will soon get tired and run

How and when did the Cross River and their brothers become Biafrans?

Those guys aren't interested and will never join Biafra
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Biafrarep(m): 9:49am On Dec 11, 2021
Kabongo1:

How and when did the Cross River and their brothers become Biafrans?

Those guys aren't interested and will never join Biafra

You're delusional, who told you they ain't interested in Biafra? Same way some Igbo elites and politicians distance themselves from Biafra is also what occurs in those other places and the reason is obvious!

Go and Google about militant groups operating in those places and check their ideology.

I'm personally indifferent if they join or not, and neither am I fully convinced that we should break up immediately because the whole thing is complicated but I'm only trying to correct your impression.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Alabo7978(m): 10:44am On Dec 11, 2021
BKayy:

And what did the Jo men call it?

Oops, I forgot that Ijaw wasn't existing then.
Well I didn't expect much from you because you're the most daftest among your grabbing lieng peers because you don't know there are Language grouping and you failed to see from crowther's and pepple report that kalabari, Bonny,brass Okordia and almost the entire delta speak closely or related ijoid Language; even balkie noted it as "Oru" dialect but heck you don't even know Oru was the common name during those days.
*Gerrit Dimmendaal a dutch linguist already grouped the ijoid Languages
* Williamson and blench both British linguists grouped the Oru(ijoid) Languages like baikie did(you probably didn't understand because you didn't know the Europeans also addressed ijo people as Oru)

Like I said, you're the daftest, I expected nothing much from you.
Go and look up academic works of linguist. Those are the people their works appear in reputable information sites but you know nothing.
I'm unfollowing this stupid thread but look at the highlighted blue ticks about the ijo Languages recorded for the first time
By John clarck in 1848
Did you see Nembe, okrika, kalabari, Bonny??
Then did you see baikie saying the same thing in the second blue circle??
I know YOU'RE crying right now.
Ekealterego bkayy Igboid etc
All of you are dullards.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Biafrarep(m): 10:47am On Dec 11, 2021
Anonymous15:

Lol, look at the 13th line of your excerpt which reads
"The eboes who are from a neighboring country..."
Open your eyes, I've always said you have jaundice.
Look at the 13th line of the first paragraph.

Comprehension is a difficult thing for you more especially.

And the brass people are Nembe people, and I am a Nembe man, and we trace our ancestry to ijo.

Still you failed woefully to answer my question on why Bonny is called OKOLOMA by themselves and okoloBA, ebane etc by the ibos.
And why were ibos slaves?
Why were they enculturated to answer names that weren't igbotic.
You're using ogidi and inwelle as instance but does that change the fact that ogidi sprung from Igbo?
No! We all know this because the dialect are similar. You are bringing this logic, but don't want to bring the same logic because it will also link OKOLOMA or the brass people to their ancestry just as ogidi is to Igbo. The double standards is sickening.
I again ask you,
Why were they enculturated to answer okoloama-ijo names.
Why not okwarazurumba mbanaso? Why change it to Jubo jubogha?
Yet you dodged again like matrix.
Take a look at the 13th line of your Excerpt (the first paragraph)
It clearly stated that the eboes ARE FROM A NEIGHBORING COUNTRY.
I will unfollow this online grabbing thread and allow you all to continue in your foolishness.
Bye bye.

On the contrary, you're actually the one who lacks sound comprehension!

You referred to line 13, in quote "....Igbos who are also from the inland...." Why can't you understand simple English? It didn't say 'Igbos who are from inland country' note the difference! The explorer acknowledged that aside the Igbo Aborigines of Bonny, there are other Igbo clans from inland, who are mainly the slaves!

Na wa for these pirates o cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 10:59am On Dec 11, 2021
signed to live languages previously not Tecltoned apart, while thirteen moro languages were added iu which versions published by others have been circulated by| the B.RB.S. AVo now lind that to these[ thirteen we must add three more, and that, Ijo and Nimbi (or Brass), in the Niger I Delta, must be numbered as separatei tongues. Thus, with the - nine fresh versions already recorded, we have thirteen names to add to -17-1 making altogether .IS7 languages, in which our society has helped to produce or circulate the Scriptures. This includes the complete Bible in 129 languages, besides the Now Testament in 11S more.

The Brass were actually the Nembe people and they obviously have a different language from the ijos as at 1925, so you can imagine the difference in 1800s.

7 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Putindbutt: 11:12am On Dec 11, 2021
Alabo7978:

Enculturation was never a myth.
Ijo clans still practice it today.
If it was a myth, why did okwarazurumba mbanaso change his name to Jubo jubogha??
You're seeing facts before your eyes, you're calling it myth.
This question dey choke them, they can't answer it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Malawian(m): 11:45am On Dec 11, 2021
Putindbutt:

This question dey choke them, they can't answer it.
Jugbojugboha was his business name. Even today, Igbos still get themselves a business name that is not their main name. Ijaw was still on their boats while all these was happening. The mistake Bonny Igbos did was allowing Fubara escape from his boat into dry land.

If there was anything like "Acculturation" back then, it was not have escaped all the people that witnessed that period.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Putindbutt: 12:14pm On Dec 11, 2021
Malawian:

Jugbojugboha was his business name. Even today, Igbos still get themselves a business name that is not their main name. Ijaw was still on their boats while all these was happening. The mistake Bonny Igbos did was allowing Fubara escape from his boat into dry land.

If there was anything like "Acculturation" back then, it was not have escaped all the people that witnessed that period.
Abeg, i no fit laugh alone.

Alabo7978
JANK23H
Robbstark
Anonymous15
ditaridisciple2
Captainizon
Captain8

4 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Captain8(m): 12:51pm On Dec 11, 2021
Putindbutt:

Alabo7978
JANK23H
Robbstark
Anonymous15
ditaridisciple2
Captainizon
Captain8
mpurumiri at work

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 11, 2021
Putindbutt:

Alabo7978
JANK23H
Robbstark
Anonymous15
ditaridisciple2
Captainizon
Captain8
Lol i tell you bro, I'm not surprised by their concortion of lies.
They're very good at it.

That's how I came across one thread that they say Babylon spoke Igbo Language in ancient times and that Nebuchadnezzar actually means neburu'kam'bu'eze

My brother I tear laugh die.

4 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Alabo7978(m): 1:02pm On Dec 11, 2021
Malawian:

Fool!
Jaja was his business name.
That's what the Brits and European know him as.
Big lieng despicable, desicating fool.

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Parachoko: 1:11pm On Dec 11, 2021
Malawian:

grin

What is Obi Cubbana Business name?

At the end of the day, only the Ibanis can decide for themselves. They are the ones to decide if they want a referendum or not, only them know who they are.

But the kin things some of you dey say for here eh grin
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Parachoko: 1:14pm On Dec 11, 2021
Anonymous15:

Lol i tell you bro, I'm not surprised by their concortion of lies.
They're very good at it.

That's how I came across one thread that they say Babylon spoke Igbo Language in ancient times and that Nebuchadnezzar actually means neburu'kam'bu'eze

My brother I tear laugh die.
cheesy cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by BKayy: 1:45pm On Dec 11, 2021
Alabo7978:

Well I didn't expect much from you because you're the most daftest among your grabbing lieng peers because you don't know there are Language grouping and you failed to see from crowther's and pepple report that kalabari, Bonny,brass Okordia and almost the entire delta speak closely or related ijoid Language; even balkie noted it as "Oru" dialect but heck you don't even know Oru was the common name during those days.
*Gerrit Dimmendaal a dutch linguist already grouped the ijoid Languages
* Williamson and blench both British linguists grouped the Oru(ijoid) Languages like baikie did(you probably didn't understand because you didn't know the Europeans also addressed ijo people as Oru)

Like I said, you're the daftest, I expected nothing much from you.
Go and look up academic works of linguist. Those are the people their works appear in reputable information sites but you know nothing.
I'm unfollowing this stupid thread but look at the highlighted blue ticks about the ijo Languages recorded for the first time
By John clarck in 1848
Did you see Nembe, okrika, kalabari, Bonny??
Then did you see baikie saying the same thing in the second blue circle??
I know YOU'RE crying right now.
Ekealterego bkayy Igboid etc
All of you are dullards.
It is obvious that you didn't read what you posted as evidence because what you posted didn't prove any Ijaw existence in any of those places.
Though a revision from a Jo men revisionist, It didn't actually prove that what is spoken in Bonny is related to Jo men's language.
It danced around Okrika and Nembe being the two major Jo men dialects but clearly stated that from Brass River to Kalabari, the language spoken at the banks are different. Then the final bomb was that the language of Ebane or Bonny are well marked difference from the rest, proving that Jo men language never existed there. After all, Igbo and Jo men language are from distinct language families

Now the oru identity. It is well known, that those that go with the oru identity is Riverine Igbo communities. The new systematic theft by Jo men who through their existence has never been confused with another group in Southern Nigeria due to their remarkable difference in both culture and language (because they stick out from other nations), is just a Shameless way to dive into the indigenous status of Southern Nigeria which they never were and will never be.
Just like the the whites have "mainland" and "islands" that's how Ndigbo have "oru" and the rest.
Oru East and West LGA of Imo State should ring a bell to you

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by BKayy: 1:48pm On Dec 11, 2021
9Pluto:
signed to live languages previously not Tecltoned apart, while thirteen moro languages were added iu which versions published by others have been circulated by| the B.RB.S. AVo now lind that to these[ thirteen we must add three more, and that, Ijo and Nimbi (or Brass), in the Niger I Delta, must be numbered as separatei tongues. Thus, with the - nine fresh versions already recorded, we have thirteen names to add to -17-1 making altogether .IS7 languages, in which our society has helped to produce or circulate the Scriptures. This includes the complete Bible in 129 languages, besides the Now Testament in 11S more.

The Brass were actually the Nembe people and they obviously have a different language from the ijos as at 1925, so you can imagine the difference in 1800s.
Jo men have a way of confusing themselves.
Even his article said that from Brass to Kalabari, the languages spoken are different and that Obane/Bonny is entirely different.
They don't read what they post.
Maybe it is because they are drunk or maybe they choose not to

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by IDENNAA(m): 2:00pm On Dec 11, 2021
Parachoko:
grin

What is Obi Cubbana Business name?

At the end of the day, only the Ibanis can decide for themselves. They are the ones to decide if they want a referendum or not, only them know who they are.

But the kin things some of you dey say for here eh grin

His real name is Obinna Iyiegbu. His friends call him Obi Cubana , gotten from his business name , Cubana groups. Did I answer your question ?

By the way , what does Jaja has to do with Ijaw ? When Jaja was living at Bonny Ijaw were still in their canoes , isn't that so ?

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by BKayy: 2:04pm On Dec 11, 2021
IDENNAA:

His real name is Obinna Iyiegbu. His friends call him Obi Cubana , gotten from his business name , Cubana groups. Did I answer your question ?

By the way , what does Jaja has to do with Ijaw ? When Jaja was living at Bonny Ijaw were still in their canoes , isn't that so ?
LOL. These Jo men thought his real name is Obi Cubana grin

Nna, akpọzina ndị a Ijaw, na akpọ ha jo Men ebe ọbụ na ndị Yáriba anwụgo iyi na ha ama akpọnata anyị ezigbo aha anyị.

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 2:53pm On Dec 11, 2021
Putindbutt:

Alabo7978
JANK23H
Robbstark
Anonymous15
ditaridisciple2
Captainizon
Captain8
That one is a clown.

People who claimed to have migrated from Israel.

Dem dey drag land with Ijos wey don dey along the Atlantic since.No be to pursue Dem back to Israel so?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by IDENNAA(m): 3:57pm On Dec 11, 2021
JANK23H:

That one is a clown.

Dem dey drag land with Ijos wey don dey along the Atlantic since.No be to pursue Dem back to Israel so?

You mean Jo men that had no ancestral land of their own , aside bayou and creeks ?

It's a marathon , Jo men...stop lifting weights...lol

When ICJ finally rules your reaction would probably sound like "go and claim them physical"..... Jo men are not exactly the sharpest knife in the cupboard.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 4:39pm On Dec 11, 2021
Alabo7978:

Liar!
my region falls under the old brass region, we call curlew okolain.
Stop lieng!

The IBOS called OKOLOMA okoloBA
Look at the document by crowther and king PEPPLE himself

So you wrote that you call curlew okolain. Then why did Baikie put down that Brass called Bonny Okoloba? Check the attachment.

It is on record that is what Brass called Ubani. And to give you a bigger problem, Dr. Baikie was the leader of the expedition, not Crowther. Also don't forget this expedition was sanctioned by Queen Victoria.

I believe you already know that Okoloma, which the natives of Bonny (Ndoki and Ngwa Igbos) called Ubani, also exists in Ndoki territory.

3 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Biafrarep(m): 4:42pm On Dec 11, 2021
Unknown to some people, Jaja of Opobo established the kingdom alongside some other Ndoki Igbos.

During his time, Opobo became probably the greatest city state in the entire Niger Delta!

The riches and fame of Opobo grew so rapidly because Jaja was shrewd and wise enough to monopolize trade with other Igbos from the mainland!

The position of Opobo still makes it viable to become great again if only the people will play their cards well.

Instead of slaves and later palm produce that was shipped through Opobo from Igboland in the past, a modern port can be built there that would handle merchandise for Igboland.

They should distance themselves completely from the ogogoro drinkers that have never brought any development or progress to them except acting as nuisances over the ages.

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Alabo7978(m): 5:41pm On Dec 11, 2021
OfoIgbo:

So you wrote that you call curlew okolain. Then why did Baikie put down that Brass called Bonny Okoloba? Check the attachment.

It is on record that is what Brass called Ubani. And to give you a bigger problem, Dr. Baikie was the leader of the expedition, not Crowther. Also don't forget this expedition was sanctioned by Queen Victoria.

I believe you already know that Okoloma, which the natives of Bonny (Ndoki and Ngwa Igbos) called Ubani, also exists in Ndoki territory.
Hey God ehh...
My own Language again o.
I a Nembe man is telling you we call curlew okolain, and you are bringing baikie from England... Hey Jehovah jireh have mercy on us all.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 5:51pm On Dec 11, 2021
IDENNAA:

You mean Jo men that had no ancestral land of their own , aside bayou and creeks ?

It's a marathon , Jo men...stop lifting weights...lol

When ICJ finally rules your reaction would probably sound like "go and claim them physical"..... Jo men are not exactly the sharpest knife in the cupboard.
Piss off!

I'm not interested in a back and forth with nincompoops like you.

Go jerk off somewhere else.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by BKayy: 5:57pm On Dec 11, 2021
OfoIgbo:

Even the Brass that these Jo men want to use as foothold called Bonny "Okuloba" instead of "Okuloma"
Jo men sef
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 6:05pm On Dec 11, 2021
Alabo7978:

Hey God ehh...
My own Language again o.
I a Nembe man is telling you we call curlew okolain, and you are bringing baikie from England... Hey Jehovah jireh have mercy on us all.

Of course, Brass people may be calling curlew okolain.
All I am saying is that the same Brass people call Ubani Okoloba
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by RobbStark(m): 6:10pm On Dec 11, 2021
JANK23H:

That one is a clown.

Their matter tire person.
I no longer engage them for my own sanity.
Let them continue to win all the arguements online, while the real winners are in the communities.

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by bomb24: 6:47pm On Dec 11, 2021
alabo7978 my kai kai friend the original name for jaja of opobo was jugbo jugbo fem and not your ijaw degenerate of name (jubo jubogha) alagoa gave him..

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Captain8(m): 8:07pm On Dec 11, 2021
Biafrarep:

You're delusional, who told you they ain't interested in Biafra? Same way some Igbo elites and politicians distance themselves from Biafra is also what occurs in those other places and the reason is obvious!

Go and Google about militant groups operating in those places and check their ideology.

I'm personally indifferent if they join or not, and neither am I fully convinced that we should break up immediately because the whole thing is complicated but I'm only trying to correct your impression.
stopped deceiving yourself cross river people mever want biafra..
No cross river person join any of your multiple sit at home, so chill

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (90) (Reply)

'Don't Let Fayose Die': Isaac Fayose As Security Surround Ekiti Govt House / Faces Of Nigerian Senators During Fashola's Ministerial Screening / You Sacrificed Your Left Leg To The Devil To Become Governor - FFK Fires Rochas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.