Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,764 members, 7,851,611 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:40 AM

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction - Politics (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction (56294 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/opobo People: Facts Vs Fiction (VIDEO) / Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (91) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by chiedozie198100: 11:31pm On Dec 13, 2021
Putindbutt:

Bonny is a mix tribe. The culture and titles are ijohs. Slave trade brought ibos from the interior to Bonny. Mbanaso was installed as a king by his ijoh master. Olukumi have been igbonized even though they aren't ibos. The large concentration of ibos in a given area gives them undue advantage over the less peopled minorities.
The fact remains that the abolishment of slave trade in 1801 gave ibos the leeway as freed slaves in Bonny, prior to 1801, ibos were the largest supplier of slaves. It was for purpose of slavery that brought ibos to Bonny.

A master will crown his slave as king over himself?

Bia, ishi odikwa ndi mba mmiri a mma?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 12:31am On Dec 14, 2021
JANK23H:

Tsk tsk tsk......Again reaffirming the true owners of Grand Bonny.

Why should i bother when a slave dealer gives a poor report about my people?Reason being,we could not be tamed.Unlike your kind that was shipped off like sheep.Given to bouts of depression and suicidal because they couldn't resist.

So you are happy with the praises of the Slave dealer/master?You should have hidden this.It's not something to be proud of.

Proudly a Jo-man!
We never cower

Why are you crying? You were boastful about how good you were at keeping slaves , then when your lies were bursted you switched because you did not like the way you were being described by the people you claimed you were in slave business with?
About suicide, of course, in our philosophy, we bow to no man.

About Suicide, I think it was your ancestor's speciality.

For Igbos, we chose death rather than slavery, we bow only to our chi, while Ijo committed suicide for simple things like lack of ogogoro or criticism from a wife.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 12:59am On Dec 14, 2021
chiedozie198100:
Wow.
Reading this piece just makes me shake my head in shock n disbelief.

With bonny and opobo being Igbo, and virtually the entire upland having Igbo connect(although clowns like ikwerre and etche keep denying their identity), that means close to 80 percent of rivers landmass is IGBO.

grin grin

No wonder the strong hatred for a man like nnamdi kanu.

My guy was giving the ijaws sleepless night in exposing their nyash.

Please you IPOB should stop this already.
Nnamdi Kanu wasn't giving Ijaws any sleepless nights.
Infact Nnamdi Kanu was playing to their tone,in the name of Multiethnic BIAFRA he would do any thing they asked of him.

Stop giving credit to Nnamdi Kanu for the work Igbo nationalists are doing.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 1:57am On Dec 14, 2021
Ekealterego:

Why are you crying? You were boastful about how good you were at keeping slaves , then when your lies were bursted you switched because you did not like the way you were being described by the people you claimed you were in slave business with?

For Igbos, we chose death rather than slavery, we bow only to our chi, while Ijo committed suicide for simple things like lack of ogogoro or criticism from a wife.

Are you freeaking kidding me? I had always thought people talk about this drinking thing for talk sake, I never knew it was ancestral.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 4:57am On Dec 14, 2021
christistruth01:

Oba Of Benin is of Ife descent

Not at all.

Ooni of Ife is of Benin ancestry

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 9:10am On Dec 14, 2021
Ekealterego:

Where was the switch?

That we sold slaves and couldn't be tamed?

I suppose that's something written by your lover Captain Hugh Crow,and I'm supposed to be bothered? Please.....!
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Thoh(m): 9:16am On Dec 14, 2021
Kinematics:

You really get time replying the miscreants. They can only make noise online. They should come physically and claim Bonny and Opobo. We are waiting for round 2 of pounding of their skulls. Wike only gave them an intro of what's to come...
true talk
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 9:30am On Dec 14, 2021
JANK23H:

Where was the switch?

I suppose that's something written by your lover Captain Hugh Crow,and I'm supposed to be bothered? Please.....!

You were savages and were never involved in slave trade as sellers.
Atleast not in Bonny and Opobo.

If you say otherwise, provide receipts.
I mean colonial receipts by Jos men selling slaves.
Not Alagoa, Fombo or any other imaginary postulations written after 1966.

You can't wake up in 1966 and start distorting historical facts and expect to be taken seriously today because you have repeated your lies with the help of Nigerian government for 50 plus odd years.
It doesn't work that way.

You said you were slave masters and sold Igbo slaves, we agree! You just have to provide a colonial receipt calling men of Jos slave sellers.

We are waiting for it. You can log in into any online library and key in Ejos, Jos men and slave sellers and see if any thing will come up.
It shouldn't be that hard to find, if it exists.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 9:32am On Dec 14, 2021
JANK23H:

Where was the switch?

Nah! no captain Crow here... At least, we have given records from 50 different sources in the 1800s.
You guys didn't have the ability to sell any slaves.

Your ancestors were living on wooden canoes, drunk half of the time, uncivilised and disrupting the civilisation Igbos were bringing to the region.

You produced nothing! Instead of supporting Igbo's production, you decided to be drunk pirates...and an unsuccessful one as you guys were termed, "an infection".

That's not something to be proud of.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Christistruth00: 9:53am On Dec 14, 2021
OfoIgbo:

Not at all.

Ooni of Ife is of Benin ancestry

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 9:58am On Dec 14, 2021
Ekealterego:

Nah! no captain Crow here... At least, we have given records from 50 different sources in the 1800s.
You guys didn't have the ability to sell any slaves.

Your ancestors were living on wooden canoes, drunk half of the time, uncivilised and disrupting the civilisation Igbos were bringing to the region.

You produced nothing! Instead of supporting Igbo's production, you decided to be drunk pirates...and an unsuccessful one as you guys were termed, "an infection".

That's not something to be proud of.
50 sources indeed...

I threw out a challenge yesterday.Chronicle how the Ijos took over Bonny;by war or brainwashing as y'all keep talking about.As it is, the entire traditional and political structure of Bonny is controlled by Ijos.How did it happen?With the writer stating clearly the intentions of the supposed Ijo invaders.

Please, reference neutral accounts.No more conjectures.

And don't tell me about language.The English language is our lingua franca,that doesn't make us English.Ijos in Ondo speak Yoruba,still doesn't make them Yoruba.

I'm waiting...
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 10:03am On Dec 14, 2021
Igboid:

You were savages and were never involved in slave trade as sellers.
Atleast not in Bonny and Opobo.

If you say otherwise, provide receipts.
I mean colonial receipts by Jos men selling slaves.
Not Alagoa, Fombo or any other imaginary postulations written after 1966.

You can't wake up in 1966 and start distorting historical facts and expect to be taken seriously today because you have repeated your lies with the help of Nigerian government for 50 plus odd years.
It doesn't work that way.

You said you were slave masters and sold Igbo slaves, we agree! You just have to provide a colonial receipt calling men of Jos slave sellers.

We are waiting for it. You can log in into any online library and key in Ejos, Jos men and slave sellers and see if any thing will come up.
It shouldn't be that hard to find, if it exists.
There you have it.For your reading pleasure.

Attend to my own challenge.

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 10:21am On Dec 14, 2021
Christistruth00:

That attachment is not even helping you, because the Sokoto Caliphate has only been around for just a little over 200 years, but the sultan is seated in the front, alongside the Ooni of Ife.

Even the Obi of Onitsha is slightly a little in front of the Oba of Benin, but that doesn't mean the Obi stool is more ancient than the Benin oba stool.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 10:26am On Dec 14, 2021
JANK23H:

There you have it.For your reading pleasure.

Attend to my own challenge.

But the Jos cannibals were not in Bonny. That is really one of the major points of this thread.

So the fact that Jo-men may be buying Itsekiri and Urhobo slaves to cook and eat in Gbaramatu, has nothing to do, with Jos dwelling in Ubani

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Christistruth00: 10:26am On Dec 14, 2021
OfoIgbo:

That attachment is not even helping you, because the Sokoto Caliphate has only been around for just a little over 200 years, but the sultan is seated in the front, alongside the Ooni of Ife.

Even the Obi of Onitsha is slightly a little in front of the Oba of Benin, but that doesn't mean the Obi stool is more ancient than the Benin oba stool.

Ooni is the one in the Center.

Photo: yoruba Obas 1937.

From the Yorubas Obas conference 1937 proceedings
Hosted by Sir Bernard Boudillon Governor General of Nigeria
on 31st March and 1st April 1937

Quoting last paragraph of first page:

“The Chiefs were seated in a horse-shoe formation, with the Oni of Ife ,as the head of the town from which all Yorubas have traditionally sprung at the centre ,and the Alaafin of Oyo at the western and the Oba of Benin at the eastern end, an arrangement which gave general satisfaction.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 10:33am On Dec 14, 2021
JANK23H:

50 sources indeed...

I threw out a challenge yesterday.Chronicle how the Ijos took over Bonny;by war or brainwashing as y'all keep talking about.As it is, the entire traditional and political structure of Bonny is controlled by Ijos.How did it happen?With the writer stating clearly the intentions of the supposed Ijo invaders.

Please, reference neutral accounts.No more conjectures.

And don't tell me about language.The English language is our lingua franca,that doesn't make us English.Ijos in Ondo speak Yoruba,still doesn't make them Yoruba.

I'm waiting...
Ijaw got nothing to do with it. The closest influence you see there are from first New Calabar (Kalabari) as seen in Finima. and through Brass of Old.
The Ijo have never been mentioned in any capacity when it comes to Bonny history. You guys were basically boat dwelling uncivilised pirates.

That's how history remember you. This is why you are trying to impose as much as possible ijo on any minority group you can find.

Damn, you don't even have any single civilised city.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 10:33am On Dec 14, 2021
Christistruth00:

Ooni is the one in the Center.

Photo: yoruba Obas 1937.

From the Yorubas Obas conference 1937 proceedings
Hosted by Sir Bernard Boudillon Governor General of Nigeria
on 31st March and 1st April 1937

Quoting last paragraph of first page:

“The Chiefs were seated in a horse-shoe formation, with the Oni of Ife ,as the head of the town from which all Yorubas have traditionally sprung at the centre ,and the Alaafin of Oyo at the western and the Oba of Benin at the eastern end, an arrangement which gave general satisfaction.

The Ooni of Ife remains a descendant of Oduduwa, the runaway Benin/Igodomigodo prince, and is now a bonafide Yoruba citizen. The Oba of Benin may also want to associate with his Ooni ancestral brother, as the two of them rule the length and breadth of Yorubaland.

But let's not digress from this thread, which is that Ubani is owned by Igbos

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Christistruth00: 10:36am On Dec 14, 2021
OfoIgbo:

The Ooni of Ife remains a descendant of Oduduwa, the runaway Benin/Igodomigodo prince, and is now a bonafide Yoruba citizen. The Oba of Benin may also want to associate with his Ooni ancestral brother, as the two of them rule the length and breadth of Yorubaland.

Why was Ooni Seated as the Leader of all Yoruba Obas ?

Bonny is undisputedly Owned by Ijaws you mean

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 10:38am On Dec 14, 2021
Ekealterego:

Ijaw got nothing to do with it. The closest influence you see there are from first New Calabar (Kalabari) as seen in Finima. and through Brass of Old.
The Ijo have never been mentioned in any capacity when it comes to Bonny history. You guys were basically boat dwelling uncivilised pirates.

That's how history remember you. This is why you are trying to impose as much as possible ijo on any minority group you can find.

Damn, you don't even have any single civilised city.
And who are the Kalabaris and Brass/Nembe people abeg?

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 10:40am On Dec 14, 2021
OfoIgbo:

But the Jos cannibals were not in Bonny. That is really one of the major points of this thread.

So the fact that Jo-men may be buying Itsekiri and Urhobo slaves to cook and eat in Gbaramatu, has nothing to do, with Jos dwelling in Ubani
Okay now it has shifted to slave trading in Bonny abi?

Pacheco Pereira's account (first screenshot) circa 1508

Dr. Fage's commentary on Pacheco Pereira's account

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 10:51am On Dec 14, 2021
JANK23H:

And who are the Kalabaris and Brass/Nembe people abeg?

The ejo and ijaw men were different from these people you mentioned. it was clearly archived and written.

Today, it's more of a political franchise.

Regardless, you asked how the influence came and that's what I described.

The census or headcount done by these explorers clearly described and mentioned that the majority of the people there were Igbos, then a Brass minority (these Brass minority were not Ijo at that time but a mixture of Benin, ibibiod like people and some ijoid inflections).

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Alabo7978(m): 10:52am On Dec 14, 2021
OfoIgbo:

Have you heard of the Duawari's which translates to mean original houses and are owned by a group of chiefs known and called 'aseme alapu' which translates to chiefs of royal blood.
Descended from Asimini and alagbiriye and very different from the new sets of chiefs who were slaves and fought for Perekule hundreds of years later.

Lol, go to Bonny and find out things for yourself, stop staying in abakiliki to misbehave.
Chief Allison Nwaoju house was the first slave house created as a chieftaincy house by Perekule after his war with KALABARI. He also created ani pepple war canoe house and Manila pepple etc. But all of this houses are the newer slaves houses descended from slaves and very different from the Duawari's headed by the 'aseme alapu' (high chiefs of royal blood)

That was why Jaja couldn't be king.
Lol.
I am working on that article and it will be a banger soon.
All these information I know and got from royalties in Bonny I know very well, but you who has never been to Bonny, keep decivieng yourselves.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 11:04am On Dec 14, 2021
Ekealterego:

The ejo and ijaw men were different from these people you mentioned. it was clearly archived and written.

The census or headcount done by these explorers clearly described and mentioned that the majority of the people there were Igbos, then a Brass minority (these Brass minority were not Ijo at that time but a mixture of Benin, ibibiod like people and some ijoid inflections).

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 11:09am On Dec 14, 2021
Ekealterego:

I understand what you are trying to do.It still won't change anything.Brass, Kalabari,Wakrike(Okrika),Ibani are Ijo clans.

Live with it
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 11:14am On Dec 14, 2021
JANK23H:

You have shared this snippet hundred times here, and I'm still asking you where Bonny was mentioned there.
Just circle the part. Because it is like my eyes are failing me.
Where was Ijaw mentioned there.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 11:16am On Dec 14, 2021
JANK23H:

When did I tell you we are now concentrating on slave trading? I am much more interested in knowing who owns Ubani or OKOLOMA as my Ndoki-Igbo owners of Ubani, used to refer to it.

Again, stop posting commentaries and second-hand fiction novels by non-observers. That's usually how Alagoa and the rest start sneaking in and twisting history.

Here, we are only interested in pre-Nigeria raw data and observations by neutral observers and firsthand witnesses.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 11:23am On Dec 14, 2021
Igboid:

You have shared this snippet hundred times here, and I'm still asking you where Bonny was mentioned there.
Just circle the part. Because it is like my eyes are failing me.
Where was Ijaw mentioned there.
Check again the footnotes Oga.You post Crow's a million times.I can do same.

Where is the Rio Real located?
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 11:24am On Dec 14, 2021
OfoIgbo:

When did I tell you we are now concentrating on slave trading? I am much more interested in knowing who owns Ubani or OKOLOMA as my Ndoki-Igbo owners of Ubani, used to refer to it.

Again, stop posting commentaries and second-hand fiction novels by non-observers. That's usually how Alagoa and the rest start sneaking in and twisting history.

Here, we are only interested in pre-Nigeria raw data and observations by neutral observers and firsthand witnesses.

That isn't a fiction novel.Stop being silly.

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 11:28am On Dec 14, 2021
JANK23H:

What did the document you upload have to do with Ijaw in Bonny?

You uploaded two different document. one talking about you being river dwelling cannibals... and more damning than what the others described you as.

Then a second document talking about or making a guess about what could be Bonny but didn't say one thing about the inhabitant's origin, language or heritage.

Please, you guys need to up your game... at least be at par with the work we have done so far.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 11:53am On Dec 14, 2021
Ekealterego:

You uploaded two different document. one talking about you being river dwelling cannibals... and more damning than what the others described you as.

Then a second document talking about or making a guess about what could be Bonny but didn't say one thing about the inhabitant's origin, language or heritage.

Please, you guys need to up your game... at least be at par with the work we have done so far.
It's either you're simply unintelligent or feigning ignorance of what I posted there.

I'll reiterate.The Portuguese expeditionist described the Jos as people who inhabited the areas around the Rio Real.The question is where is the Rio Real.

Answer:Bonny.

I showed maps earlier in the thread showing the Rio real as the estuary of Bonny River and New Calabar.

The commentary affirmed that.The Rio Real is at Bonny.

If the Jos occupied the villages and areas around the Rio Real,which is at Bonny.Then that account of 1508 confirmed the Jos are aboriginal to Bonny.

At the time in 1508,it wasn't called Bonny.The Portuguese at the time were more interested in trading with Benin and Jakri(Itsekiri).

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 11:54am On Dec 14, 2021
JANK23H:

Check again the footnotes Oga.You post Crow's a million times.I can do same.

Where is the Rio Real located?

Keep calling Crow... we have all diversified our sources.

From page 1 to almost 80, with different sources.

or are these ones from Clarke, Crow too?

3 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 11:56am On Dec 14, 2021
Ekealterego:

It's either you're simply unintelligent or feigning ignorance of what I posted there.

I'll reiterate.The Portuguese expeditionist described the Jos as people who inhabited the areas around the Rio Real.The question is where is the Rio Real?

Answer:Bonny.

I showed maps earlier in the thread showing the Rio real as the estuary of Bonny River and New Calabar.

The commentary affirmed that.The Rio Real is at Bonny.

If the Jos occupied the villages and areas around the Rio Real,which is at Bonny.Then that account of 1508 confirmed the Jos are aboriginal to Bonny.

At the time in 1508,it wasn't called Bonny.The Portuguese at the time were more interested in trading with Benin and Jakri(Itsekiri).

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (91) (Reply)

Tajudeen Ade: I Drove Lamborghini At 18, Joined Politics To Serve Not For Money / Wike Inspects Projects Under The Rain, His ADC Drenched / El-Rufai Kneeling Down To Greet Atiku Abubakar (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.