Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,472 members, 7,830,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 (11828 Views)

Atiku Is Not Considering Igbos After 22 Years Servitude / 2023: Don’t Repeat What Rivers Did To Igbos After Biafra War – HURIWA Warns Good / Thieves Break Into Crowther Seth, Adamawa Deputy Governor's Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by FreeStuffsNG: 7:24pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

Apart from what you listed, what else were Yorubas eating before colonialism?

Here is a document from 1890 quoted in a research journal.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/4111421
What you have there is not exhaustive. These things are taught in Yoruba classes wink
If you want more information, go to archaeology department, UI, ask for the Ethnobotanical archaeology, they will even give you materials on even when these indigenous plants were domesticated. Some folks had their PhD in Ethnobotanical Archaeology, they teach and practice on the field. They are hired as consultants in EIA projects.
Here's free book on business ideas & money sources directory for you,it's 100% free! https://www.nairaland.com/6666800/looking-business-ideas-money-fund. Cheers.
Meanwhile, remember

5 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by aribisala0(m): 7:24pm On Dec 02, 2021
Tinububalls:

Please name 5 indigenous crops/food of Africa?
Yam,
Palm oil/palm tree
Ewedu
Egusi
Coffee

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by aribisala0(m): 7:25pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

Amala
Pounded yam
Eko/agidi
Tuwo(corn)
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Bkayyy: 7:28pm On Dec 02, 2021
aribisala0:

Amala
Pounded yam
Eko/agidi
Tuwo(corn)
And you didn't hear when your brother said that corn/maize came from Brazil.
So in other words, you were eating yam (pounded yam and Amala) with ewedu day in day out

Lol, you guys are funny.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Guestlander: 7:29pm On Dec 02, 2021
Sctests:

That's a lie, if it was indigenous to Igboland, we would have borrowed words for it. Akpu is indigenous to Igboland, yoruba borrowed the word fufu from other West Africans who were neighbours to yorubaland. Do your research.

Is Mkpurumiri indigenous to Igboland? Don't you have a name for it?

11 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 7:30pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

Yam,Millet,Rice, Beans, Coco Yam,Egusi,plantain

2 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by aribisala0(m): 7:31pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

So in other words, you were eating yam (pounded yam and Amala) with ewedu day in day out

Lol, you guys are funny.
Who is my brother? Why are you so tribal in your thinking?
I am not hear on behalf of any one and have no brother here?

That is the problem with you folk and your paranoid Umunna psychology

We know that Maize has been around before white people went to the Americas

Even Jesus is said to have eaten maize on the Sabbath in the bible

Pharaoh's dream which Joseph interpreted contained Maize

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Guestlander: 7:31pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

Lol, you guys are funny.

Plantains, Akara/beans, cocoyam nko? They are not foods?

2 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Bkayyy: 7:36pm On Dec 02, 2021
christistruth01:

Yam,Millet,Rice, Beans, Cocoa Yam,Egusi
Wait a minute, you people eat cocoa as food?
Like you boil or roast it?

1 Like

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by aribisala0(m): 7:38pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

Cocoa was also brought from Brazil it s not indigenous
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Guestlander: 7:40pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

Cocoyam, not cocoa.

4 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Bkayyy: 7:40pm On Dec 02, 2021
aribisala0:

Cocoa was also brought from Brazil it s not indigenous
In this case, I don't want to know whether it is indigenous or not, I just want to know how they eat cocoa as food.

1 Like

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 7:41pm On Dec 02, 2021
cool
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Guestlander: 7:41pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

In this case, I don't want to know whether it is indigenous or not, I just want to know how they eat cocoa as food.

What did you eat before Ajayi Crowther? Akpu is the most important Ibo food today. What did you eat before the Bishop?

9 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 7:43pm On Dec 02, 2021
Guestlander:

What did you eat before Ajayi Crowther? Akpu is the most important Ibo food today. What did you eat before the Bishop?

Akpu is the most Precious food of our Igbo brethren you mean

If you dare touch some People's Akpu it could land you in Hospital

6 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by inumidun2010(m): 7:43pm On Dec 02, 2021
GBOKASINCHA:
mtssew igbos are part and parcel of lagos even the tinubu dynasty get igbos for there u cant remove them... more are still coming...very soon we will determine who governs that state

I don't believe you are an IGBO.... Logically you are saying LAGOS is your OBODOYINBO right ?.. instead of you to go and COLONISE DELTA STATE and RIVERS that you are CLOSE TO.... Do You know how many bridge you are going to cross before getting to ONITSHA BRIDGE...
Na people like you no get anything.... Something wey una no fit TALK 4 NORTH....
Lagos na no MAN'S LAND... But una no fit talk am IN AN ELECTION CAMPAIGN and see REACTIONS..

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Guestlander: 7:44pm On Dec 02, 2021
christistruth01:

Akpu is the most Precious food of our Igbo brethren you mean

Exactly. And I wonder what they ate before it came to Iboland.

6 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Bkayyy: 7:46pm On Dec 02, 2021
Guestlander:

What did you eat before Ajayi Crowther?
Exactly what we are eating today.

Ụgba, Ụkpaka, Cocoyams (pounded and boiled), Yam (we even have festivals for that one), assorted soups (Okazi, Nsala, ọgbọnọ, ọkwụrụ aka okro, ọha etc), achịcha, ụkwa, nkoro, etc

Should I continue? grin

9 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Guestlander: 7:48pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

Ụgba, Ụkpaka, Cocoyams (pounded and boiled), Yam (we even have festivals for that one, assorted soups (Okazi, Nsala, ọgbọnọ, ọkwụrụ aka okro, ọha etc), achịcha, ụkwa, nkoro, etc

Should I continue? grin

I bet you will cause a riot if you don't have akpu in two days.

12 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:49pm On Dec 02, 2021
duro4chang:
He did not use any abusive word. Very simple and polite.

Makes a nice change to what some people come up with on this forum once the topic is about Ndigbo or a Igbo person! wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Bkayyy: 7:49pm On Dec 02, 2021
Guestlander:

I bet you will cause a riot if you don't have akpu in two days.
Actually most people prefer pounded yam or Cocoyam (utara ede)

What they serve to guests as oji in riverine communities of Igboland is pounded yam and Nsala.

4 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Guestlander: 7:51pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

Actually most people prefer pounded yam or Cocoyam (utara ede)

What they serve to guests as oji in Ohaji is pounded yam and Nsala.

It's all good bro. God bless all the people who brought good things to Africa.

8 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 7:51pm On Dec 02, 2021
aribisala0:
Who is my brother? Why are you so tribal in your thinking?
I am not hear on behalf of any one and have no brother here?

That is the problem with you folk and your paranoid Umunna psychology

We know that Maize has been around before white people went to the Americas

Even Jesus is said to have eaten maize on the Sabbath in the bible

Pharaoh's dream which Joseph interpreted contained Maize

It was Wheat that was interpreted as Corn

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 7:52pm On Dec 02, 2021
Guestlander:

It's all good bro. God bless all people who brought good things to Africa.

That is why no matter how much they Curse Lord Lugard and the British nothing do them

3 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Guestlander: 7:56pm On Dec 02, 2021
christistruth01:

That is why no matter how much they Curse Lord Lugard and the British nothing do them

I am not talking about those people. People like Ajayi Crowther, Mary Slessor and many others in their own little ways. Not colonizers.

3 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by aribisala0(m): 7:58pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

Did I say they eat cocoa as food?
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 7:58pm On Dec 02, 2021
grin
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 8:00pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

Ụgba, Ụkpaka, Cocoyams (pounded and boiled), Yam (we even have festivals for that one), assorted soups (Okazi, Nsala, ọgbọnọ, ọkwụrụ aka okro, ọha etc), achịcha, ụkwa, nkoro, etc

Should I continue? grin

You still ran into a food Crisis in the East because of your huge Population and that was when Bishop Ajayi Crowther brought you Cassava

And you know how much you love Your Akpu

3 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by aribisala0(m): 8:00pm On Dec 02, 2021
christistruth01:

It was Wheat that was interpreted as Corn
That is an opinion does not make it true

What was the "WORD" that was interpreted .

Do you have evidence?
In other words you are saying the word "CORN " appeared in the English language long before any English person ever set eyes on corn
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Guestlander: 8:01pm On Dec 02, 2021
christistruth01:

You still ran into a food Crisis because of your huge Population and that was when Bishop Ajayi Crowther brought you Cassava

And you know how you love Your Akpu

The returnees from Brazil came with the knowledge of how to properly process cassava into edible food. That is how it caught on. There wasn't any huge population or food crisis in Yorubaland.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Anambra House Of Assembly Approves Soludo’s Request To Borrow ₦100 Billion / 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners / Six Policemen Beat Colleague To Coma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.