Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,307 members, 7,829,725 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 (11811 Views)

Atiku Is Not Considering Igbos After 22 Years Servitude / 2023: Don’t Repeat What Rivers Did To Igbos After Biafra War – HURIWA Warns Good / Thieves Break Into Crowther Seth, Adamawa Deputy Governor's Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 8:02pm On Dec 02, 2021
cool
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 8:04pm On Dec 02, 2021
Guestlander:

The returnees from Brazil came with the knowledge of how to properly process cassava into edible food. That is how it caught on. There wasn't any huge population or food crisis in Yorubaland.

I was referring to the East

There was a food Crisis in the East before Bishop Ajayi Crowther took Cassava there

When Cassava and Garri reached the East it became a Smash hit and a SuperStar

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Guestlander: 8:06pm On Dec 02, 2021
christistruth01:

I was referring to the East

There was a food Crisis in the East before Bishop Ajayi Crowther took Cassava there

Oh.

1 Like

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 8:10pm On Dec 02, 2021
Guestlander:

Oh.

When Bishop Ajayi Crowther took Cassava and Garri to the East it became an instant Smash hit and a SuperStar

It still is today
They loved it

4 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Guestlander: 8:12pm On Dec 02, 2021
christistruth01:

When Bishop Ajayi Crowther took Cassava and Garri to the East it became an instant Smash hit and a SuperStar

It still is today
They loved it

Lol

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by paramakina202: 8:14pm On Dec 02, 2021
Abdul05:
at that time..ibo sold lot of their brothers at slaves grin grin

And Ajayi Crowther is a freed slave is it Igbo that sold him too?

4 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Bkayyy: 8:17pm On Dec 02, 2021
christistruth01:

You still ran into a food Crisis in the East because of your huge Population and that was when Bishop Ajayi Crowther brought you Cassava

And you know how much you love Your Akpu
Coming from someone that was eating only yam day in day out before cassava was introduced to them.

When you speak of food crisis, I believe you are talking from experience because SW still have the most number children with stunted growth in Nigeria.

The picture below is that of an Igbo farmer dressing his barn before Nigeria was created.
Until you show me its equivalent in SW, don't make noise here

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 8:28pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

Coming from someone that was eating only yam day in day out before cassava was introduced to them.

When you speak of food crisis, I believe you are talking from experience because SW still have the most number children with stunted growth in Nigeria.

The picture below is that of an Igbo farmer dressing his barn before Nigeria was created.
Until you show me its equivalent in SW, don't make noise here

If you are that angry why don't you just reject everything made from Cassava

With the same effort Baba used to grow Yams he would have Produced more than 20 times that quantity of Cassava

Unlike Yam it doesn't need heaps to grow

Cassava booms even in infertile Soil and is drought resistant

That is why it is now becoming Popular in the North

2 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Bkayyy: 8:40pm On Dec 02, 2021
christistruth01:

If you are that angry why don't you just reject everything made from Cassava

With the same effort Baba would have Produced more than 20 times that quantity of Cassava

Cassava booms even in infertile Soil and is drought resistant

That is why it is now becoming Popular in the North

Read what you wrote again. You are confusing yourself.

Ndigbo never told you they have issues with cassava but you hungry people that haven't cured your famine till date seem to have issues with it.

Even the introduction of cassava to Yorubaland couldn't cure the famine to the extent that you people still top the population with stunted growth in Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 8:43pm On Dec 02, 2021
Bkayyy:

Read what you wrote again. You are confusing yourself.

Ndigbo never told you they have issues with cassava but you hungry people that haven't cured your famine till date seem to have issues with it.

Even the introduction of cassava to Yorubaland couldn't cure the famine to the extent that you people still top the population with stunted growth in Nigeria

That must be why your brother's are fleeing to go there in the Ekene Dili Chukwu Bus Loads everyday and not returning

So they can have more Garri

9 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Freelancer2020(m): 8:49pm On Dec 02, 2021
christistruth01:

That must be why your brother's are fleeing to go there in the Ekene Dili Chukwu Bus Loads everyday and not returning

So they can have more Garri

Take it easy on him brother

Omo oba o gbodo jagun bi eru.

10 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by SonOfEl(m): 8:50pm On Dec 02, 2021
SlyDev:
Then Ajayi Crowther then went ahead and write the first igbo language book. The man is a blessing to black people

An unintelligible book. It took another missionary to write a book in which igbo understood
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by wasiudvd(m): 8:53pm On Dec 02, 2021
Sctests:

That's a lie, if it was indigenous to Igboland, we would have borrowed words for it. Akpu is indigenous to Igboland, yoruba borrowed the word fufu from other West Africans who were neighbours to yorubaland. Do your research.
Fufu is not even the Yoruba name for Cassava, "Paki" is.
Cassava came into West Africa from South America.

3 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 02, 2021
SonOfEl:

An unintelligible book. It took another missionary to write a book in which igbo understood

Lol see this brother, why is it still selling?

2 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by mrvitalis(m): 8:57pm On Dec 02, 2021
aribisala0:

Amala
Pounded yam
Eko/agidi
Tuwo(corn)
Corn came from central America sir

1 Like

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by christistruth01: 9:23pm On Dec 02, 2021
Freelancer2020:

Take it easy on him brother

Omo oba o gbodo jagun bi eru.

You are right
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Omowoolata: 9:53pm On Dec 02, 2021
This thread funny AF! grin grin

4 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by aribisala0(m): 9:54pm On Dec 02, 2021
mrvitalis:

Corn came from central America sir
Not in recorded history

What we are talking about is recorded history specifically Brought from the Americas by Europeans

In exactly the same way as Cocoa and cassava

The key word is "BROUGHT" by a recorded entity

We are not talking about whether Man came from Africa or any thing from a prehistoric era or anything inferred from laboratory reconstruction . That is interesting but totally off the point of this topic
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by dazzlingd(m): 10:05pm On Dec 02, 2021
SlyDev:
Then Ajayi Crowther then went ahead and write the first igbo language book. The man is a blessing to black people

He is a blessing to fools.

But the few intelligent ones know he was a curse.

I'm sure his ancestors would reject him in the afterlife and he won't rest well.

He was taken captive and sold as a slave, embraced his slave masters and converted to their religion, then went ahead to translate the book used to enslave him to his local language to enslave more of his people.

That's why I love ancient war movies like 300, Troy etc...men that rather die for their heritage than live as slaves, those are true heroes not a mockery of slavery

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by gidgiddy: 10:13pm On Dec 02, 2021
SlyDev:

The claim that Bishop Ajayi Crowther wrote an Igbo book is funny since he never spoke Igbo. He may have known some words, but not enough to write a book

3 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Nobody: 10:18pm On Dec 02, 2021
dazzlingd:

He is a blessing to fools.

But the few intelligent ones know he was a curse.

I'm sure his ancestors would reject him in the afterlife and he won't rest well.

He was taken captive and sold as a slave, embraced his slave masters and converted to their religion, then went ahead to translate the book used to enslave him to his local language to enslave more of his people.

That's why I love ancient war movies like 300, Troy etc...men that rather die for their heritage than live as slaves, those are true heroes not a mockery of slavery
grin
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by mrvitalis(m): 10:37pm On Dec 02, 2021
aribisala0:
Not in recorded history

What we are talking about is recorded history specifically Brought from the Americas by Europeans

In exactly the same way as Cocoa and cassava

The key word is "BROUGHT" by a recorded entity

We are not talking about whether Man came from Africa or any thing from a prehistoric era or anything inferred from laboratory reconstruction . That is interesting but totally off the point of this topic

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304387818303195

Europeans brought maize to Africa around 1500s stop saying what you don't know

1 Like

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by ruggedtimi(m): 10:43pm On Dec 02, 2021
attackgat:
Famous missionary, Bishop Ajayi Crowther, visited Igbo land in 1857. He came with other missionaries to help spread Christianity. He visited places like Onitsha, Aboh, Asaba etc. He wrote extensively about his visit . Some of the things said are enumerated below, however, note that in 1857, there was nothing called "Nigeria", not even the creator of Nigeria, Lord Lugard, had been born.

Ajayi Crowther: I may mention Abám to the north of Ogobéndo , Isiápo a small district between Ndoki and Bonny and which may be reached by canoe , Oráta to the eastward of O’zuzu , and finally Omiúnsi , a town in Elugu , the inhabitants of which are said to be Igbos. The religion of I’gbo is entirely Pagan , mixed up with numerous rites and ceremonies , neither in general so frightful nor so bloody as those practised in Bíni , in Dahómi , and other more western countries , but still all of a pre – eminently superstitious character .

“The I’gbos all believe in an Almighty – being , omnipresent and omnipotent , whom they call Tshúku , whom they constantly worship , and whom they believe to communicate directly with them through his sacred shrine at A’ro . “The town is always mentioned with great respect , almost , at times , with a degree of veneration , and the people say “ Tshúku abyama , “ God lives there". But they speak also of another and a dis tinct Deity , who at Abó is known as Orissa , but throughout other parts of I’gbo , as “ Tshúku – Okéke , ” “ God the creator , or the supreme God . ” Abó people    believe that after death , those who have been good on earth may either go to Oríssa and abide with him , or they may , if they like , visit any country on earth ; and so slaves often , when dying , say that they will go and revisit their native land ; if , on the other hand a wicked man dies , it is understood that he is driven to Qkómo , or hell ; derived from oko , fire , and mo spirit . In Abó every man and every woman of any consequence keeps as djú – dju or sacred , the lower jaw of a pig , or , until they can procure this , a piece of wood fashioned like one . This is preserved in their huts , and produced only when worshipped , or when sacrifices are made to it , which are at certain times , at intervals of from ten days to three weeks . The particular days are determined by the djú – dju men or priests , and by them intimated to the people . They sprinkle this djú – dju with palm – wine , and touching it with a kola – nut , speak to it , and ask it to be good and propitious towards them . It is named A’gba , meaning pig , or A ‘ gba – E’zhi , or pig’s – jaw ; but when kept as djú – dju , it is also termed Ofúm , or “ my image , ” and also Tshúku . People also select particular trees near their huts , or , if there are none in the neighbourhood , they transplant one ; these they worship and call Tshúkum , or “ my God . ” They hang on these bits of white baff ( calico , ) as signs of a djú dju tree , and as offerings to the deity . No one ever touches these , and if they rot off they are replaced . Little wooden images are also used , and are styled O’fo – Tshúku , or “ images of God , ” and to these they talk and pray . When a man is suspected of false hood , one of these is placed in his right hand , and he is made to swear by it , and if he does so falsely it is believed that some evil will speedily befal him . Sacrifices , principally of fowls , are made to these latter , as to the former . In Isuáma and in Eʻlugu there are similar usages , but the pig’s – jaw is not employed , and no white baff is hung on the trees . At Abó one large tree is held as djú – dju for the whole district , it is covered with offerings , and there is an annual festival in honour of it , when sacrifices of fowls , sheep , goats , and bullocks are made . When a man goes to A’ro to consult Tshúku , he is received by some of the priests outside of the town , near a small stream . Here he makes an offering , after which a fowl is killed , and , if it appears unpropitious , a quantity of a red dye , probably camwood , is spilt into the water , which the priests tell the people is blood , and on this the votary is hurried off by the priests and is seen no more , it being given out that Tshúku has been displeased , and has taken him . The result of this preliminary ceremony is determined in general by the amount of the present given to the priests , and those who are reported to have been carried off by Tshúku are usually sold as slaves

I don't think ajayi was the one that said this....it was sir William Balfour Baike
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by aribisala0(m): 11:04pm On Dec 02, 2021
mrvitalis:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304387818303195

Europeans brought maize to Africa around 1500s stop saying what you don't know
Did you read and comprehend what you posted?

Very doubtful
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by AfonjaConehead: 11:28pm On Dec 02, 2021
IgbosDestroynSA:
Na Yoruba man even give this people Christianity! Damn.
Yoruba go far o.
Why we con de drag with this people.
Well we go soon colonize them. Na aid we go take colonize igboland you are already thinking and acting like a Mallam grin

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by AfonjaConehead: 11:31pm On Dec 02, 2021
IgbosDestroynSA:

The same wey you colonize SA, Malaysia, Pakistan, Indian and the rest? You lots like to deceive yourself. With all years blacks take develop Us what’s their stake in it even till now? US is their home? You forget ghana must go? Na 20 pounds una go collect las las. And these time una go line up collect am we go snap everybody no be the one wey una go con de tell una children another thing
You are doing slavery in 2021 and you are proud?

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Putindbutt: 11:42pm On Dec 02, 2021
SlayerForever:
Powerful descriptions from Crowther. Our traditional religion was well described, as observe in Aboh, today's Delta state.

Crowther would never believe today they deny to be Igbos.

That annual festival reminds me of Jewish cleansing as recorded in the old testament.
Lol. It's rather appalling seeing ibos use one hand to discredit Crowther's account on one thread while accepting his account with the other hand on another thread. Typical ibos double standard.

cc; Alabo7978 JANK23H Oyatz

4 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Daum: 11:47pm On Dec 02, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

So the Aboh refers to Agbor? Very interesting. That's why identity is key. I remember that in my primary school in this same Lagos, we were taught where our kith and kins are. They have the map of Yorubaland and make us learn them.I realise that the system has started again with history back in the curriculum. Your cultural identity is important. There must have been a lack of reinforcement,unfortunately, Agbor has been reinforcing more of their non Igbo identity perhaps.
Without your contribution, I wouldn't have known that he probably referred to present day Agbor who are now regarded as Edoid. Thank you.

No... It's not Agbor he was referring to. It's Aboh.. It's a town close to the river Niger. It's in Ndokwa local government

2 Likes

Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by princdebola201(m): 12:06am On Dec 03, 2021
Ok
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Ofodirinwa: 12:06am On Dec 03, 2021
[quote author=christistruth01 post=108154137]

Christians Brought to Nigeria

Cassava
Cocoa
Maize
Sweet Potatoes
Tomatoes

Can Nigeria do without these today ?[/quote
Lol � is this what they're teaching in schools at home?
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by agadez007(m): 12:26am On Dec 03, 2021
Just wondering what the Yorubas ate before tomato was introduced,note that all their soups have tomato stew,while growing up my friend would use the same stew meant for eating rice to make soup or should I say make stew to eat garri with
Re: What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 by Alabo7978(m): 12:48am On Dec 03, 2021
Putindbutt:

Lol. It's rather appalling seeing ibos use one hand to discredit Crowther's account on one thread while accepting his account with the other hand on another thread. Typical ibos double standard.

cc; Alabo7978 JANK23H Oyatz
Look at these despicable chameleons, tueehh.

Since this is AJAYI CROWTHER APPRECIATION THREAD, BELOW IS WHAT HE SAID ABOUT BONNY.
THANK GOD FOR THIS DOCUMENT, thank you Ekealterego, that is why I will uphold the tribal name I christened him with "OTONYE DOMOKUMA"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

DSS, Police Seal Kano Press Centre Over Planned Protest / Impeachment: Soyinka Backs Lawmakers Against Buhari / Stop The Inclusion Of Delta State As Part Of Biafra - State Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.